Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Brainwrong posted:

F1 is dead in the UK

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sky-secures-exclusive-f1-broadcast-agreement-681864/

"Live Formula 1 races will be taken off free-to-air television in the United Kingdom from 2019, after Sky agreed a new exclusive broadcast agreement with the sport's chiefs."

I grew up watching F1, largely because it was one of very few sports that stayed free-to-air when Sky started doing massive grabs for exclusivity in the late 80s/90s. These days Sky TV falls freely onto my computer somehow, but I feel for the kids who can't watch F1 whilst mum makes the Sunday roast :(

RIP my childhood (in a small way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Started playing Motorsport Manager and in trying to change tyres to get to the end of the race without stopping again, ran across the problem of only two tyre choices. Hard - too slow. Soft - won't last. There is no medium.

I'm suggesting Ferrari play this game.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Formula E proves that their cars are so slow that you can literally step over them at full speed without getting hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF9bbY3-lQU

Backwards logic here; faster the car goes the less air-time needed to do the stunt.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My general impression of seeing Lewis on British TV is people kinda like him, but are mostly indifferent. On the rare occasion Schumacher turned up people would lose their poo poo.

You also couldn't go anywhere when I was a child without seeing something about Mansell somewhere, but the sport was pretty massive in the UK at the time so it's not a truly fair comparison. I think Lewis is about 20% as famous as he thinks he is.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

nsaP posted:

I googled looking for shirtless male drivers in their race suit with it half zipped down but wouldn't you know it, there wasn't one!!!

Expand your horizons

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

gret posted:

We've replaced professional race car drivers with a bunch of sim racers. Let's see if anyone can tell the difference.

Funny you say this, because a lot about F1-2016 reminds me of those arcade racers where you can't spin the car.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No first lap pile up in the one race it'd be somewhat understandable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

First seagulls, now carrier bags. Vettel has the weirdest problems this season

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

drat. Those gaps already. Lots of very varied pace on the top 6

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I honestly think kimi just isn't as phased by the track as other people are.

<< Kimi shrug >>

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

We're about to hit a peak petulance and Sky apologist intersection

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

If it wasn't Lewis everyone would say its poo poo because its costing us an exciting ending.... Never change worst thread.

The rule is amazing because lovely drivers lose a crutch.

In complete coincidence it's affecting Lewis for the second time this season.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

'Let's play some kimi radio without a beeper to hand'

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

OK. Surely we want a decent finish to what has panned out to be a pretty damp squib?

Your argument seems to be we'd be against the rule if it was affecting someone else?

No. The rule is fine and good and it's just hilarious schadenfreude it's happening to poois

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kind of amazed teams haven't worked out a code yet. Especially ferrari.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Because.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Aqualung posted:

I love that they keep putting Nico in the post-race room with all the presidents of these lovely rear end countries.

Chill with Putin was a season highlight.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I like the selective camera angles to make it seem there aren't just like 50 people watching the podium.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

it is so incredibly stupid that they couldn't tell him how to fix the car. easily the worst change this sport has made in years. contributes nothing until it handicaps a driver for no reason.

It benefits the sport on every single lap where a driver is making his own decisions on what to do with his car, not 20 people running simulations and min/maxing things like its a loving shuttle launch.
Drivers are handicapped when they haven't taken the time to work out how their car works. Seems pretty fair.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

What if Lewis spent more time studying and working in the simulator?

Many fewer posts ITT

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Radar has the rain stopping in about 10mins. Might be a SC start and waiting for it to dry out a bit.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Khablam posted:

Radar has the rain stopping in about 10mins. Might be a SC start and waiting for it to dry out a bit.

Nailed it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hahaha ah Vettel as predicted

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

'Avoid 7th'

Fraudberg sits in 7th

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can make an argument that there's a lot of modes and it might be awkward, but having to tell a driver how to avoid a gear is clearly babbying drivers who should learn basic ideas like changing gear.

Fraudberg.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

haha that lewis burn

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Everybody falling over themselves to say every race is great is a bit irritating imo. But I guess if they went "lol poo poo race wasn't it" then Bernie would have them killed.

Are Dan called it boring :v:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Norns posted:

Man even as someone who thinks Nico is garbage. 10 second penalty for violating a rule that shouldn't exist loving sucks.

The penalty was because he needed help being told how to change gear. Even after being told such, he managed to ignore the advice and jam it in the broken gear.
He's also (one of) the drivers who needed constant coaching that led to the ban in the first place.

Fraudberg brings it on himself.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

nsaP posted:

Avoid is not clear. He has two options, shift past it, or only go to 6th. That's what he was asking.

Heaven forbid the driver should need to work out how to drive a compromised car; the hallmark of 'great' drivers in the sport since forever.
Many drivers have finished a race with a sticky gearbox by working it out themselves. It was absurdly obvious even from the HUD on the broadcast it was sticking in 7th both ways.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I hope the broadcast director just makes the audio of each race non-stop Fraudberg asking how to change gear.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Kimi got married

hahaha of course kimi would hover-hand in his own wedding photo

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Daily reminder that the FIA are incompetent at all levels, not just F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRptUoeB1s

Thanks to the offical FIA mounting point my camera can't stop shaking through cornering.

Is this an audition tape to drive for ferrari ?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

I sometimes forget that Williams was at one point a dominant team...

And every driver was a smug rear end in a top hat that rode the coat-tails of that performance, before rotating out to a midfield team and poor pace the next year.
Fun times.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

F1 2016 in a nutshell

It's a fun game and replicates the expensive go-kart feel of the early season well.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's freakishly true to life how bad fraudberg is in that game.
The race after he becomes my 'rival' he runs me wide on the last but one corner. He eats a 10s penalty and finishes 6th for it.

e: ^^ he was actually turning the wheel in that clip. Immersion ruined.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Given "random grid orders, lol! Make the best teams start at the back!" was one of the dumb Bernie ideas, I doubt there'll be any traction against Mercedes deliberately starting poois from the rear.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

What pisses me of is every loving race the commentators state there is about a 1 second differential between the soft and super softs.

Now in 2015 the shortest lap was the red bull cock ring at 1.11s and the longest was spa with a 1.52s

That a 41 second difference so a second difference in each is really not the same.

Can we have some actual data in commentary? Isn't that why they fly those dumb shits out for practice? Nah lets just say around 1 second for the dumb as gently caress viewers.

When you average it out over a few laps, over different car setups, cars and drivers, I'm sure the deviation means saying 'about a second' is a perfectly acceptable piece of nomenclature.

Seriously you might have the 'tism if you see 1.11s and think WELL THATS NOT ABOUT A SECOND AT ALL.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Alonso and Lewis started from the back and are in the top 5.

Ferrari meanwhile...

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kimi needs to go back to <<kimi shrug>> mode before he completely loses his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Don't think I've seen Fraudberg on the feed all day. Unironically good work director person :v:

• Locked thread