Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Bendis has Tony acting crazy in CW. It's really jarring because I'm slowly making my way through Invicinle Iron Man and I think he has a good handle on him there, but all this "You BLANKED my BLANK" stuff that he's saying to Carol in particular is just nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

SilverSupernova posted:

It's a Bendis-written event. If anyone's dying it's either Vision or Hawkeye.

I did quite like him lampshading this, but the deaths this time feel only a step above Goliath going down ten years ago, except we're getting it out of the way in the first issue so we don't have a bunch of pages of Cap suddenly pretending he knows that Goliath exists.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

DrProsek posted:

Tony Stark dying confirmed.

(It's probably Bruce Banner but I'd be all for Tony dying about now)

This issue the Hulk meets his end!

That's right everybody say goodbye to Amadeus Cho and his totally radical adventures.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Oasx posted:

Is there any comic that explains what exactly the new status quo is?
From what i can understand the Ultimate universe is no more, but a few of the Ultimate characters are in the proper Marvel universe now, but i would like a proper overview of what is different, instead of having to guess it by reading various titles.

Marvel really needs to get a primer out for this stuff, because I fell off in the last couple years (hated Hickman's whole run on Avengers, hated it), got back in for Secret Wars (whose title makes no sense other than as a throwback to the 80s event, I guess?) and every time I turn a page I find out Thor's a chick, Doom has his face, Cap is old, Logan is dead, the X-Men might be gone and Peter Parker runs a multi-national company.

I mean I really like a lot of the new status quo but I just have no idea how we got here.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Very kind of you all to explain so much so readily, much appreciated! I've got two questions.

Since Secret Wars ended and ANAD began are there any absolute must-read stories (as in excellent, not as in "important info contained here")?

And why (and where is it shown) that Thanos remembers when presumably guys like Phoenixclops and even Doom don't?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I got a digital preview of Vision 1 with something or other and it looked dark and depressing as hell with art that didn't do anything for me. Why does everybody have it at the top of their list?

Is it just the Stepford Family thing?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Is Gwenpool worth picking up? Part of me is wary of it being a cynical push for Marvel to have a Harley Quinn like character.

Has anyone picked up Deadpool v Gambit? Cover gaff aside I thought the preview looked really good.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Okay so I've recently started reading Mockingbird and I really, really like it, but apparently it didn't get an issue released in June? Is it doing okay?

Also if anyone wants to recommend me a good ongoing that I might not have thought about, load her up. I'm still getting to grips with the new status quo. I'm currently digging Ultimates, Invincible Iron Man and Thor, but I'm not feeling ANAD Avengers. Silk looks good though.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

What are you currently reading/are aware of?

Also ANAD Avengers is straight Avengers-rear end Avengersing. If all you want is a teamup book with quips and punching in a mostly issue-by-issue format with light overall arcing, ANAD Avengers delivers that in spades. It's never really tried to be anything more than that though.

Pretty much the 3 Avengers books, Thor, Iron Man, A-Force and now Mockingbird. Oh and I picked up Totally Awesome Hulk and New X-Men but I haven't got round to reading them yet. I've probably got room for one more.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

ANAD Avengers is really good, the best thing Waid has written in years.

I'm definitely feeling Ultimates and A-Force more but I'm not sure whether it's the writing or the new teams. Since everyone seems on board with it though I'll stick with it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Everyone should be reading Mockingbird

Yeah I picked this up and it's great.

I thought Karnak looked really interesting. I feel like if it gets longer than 12 issues it'll be a miracle, but it looks like it'll scratch that Fraction/Aja Iron Fist itch.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So I've just finished reading up on the first issue or two of every major sphere in the post-Secret Wars/ANAD status quo, and I'd just like to talk a little bit about that.

I think this is one of the most interesting, progressive and rewarding times to be reading these comics that I've ever seen. Every group has something interesting going on, most creative temples are working for me and the new designs they've come up with over the past couple years have been really, really strong. Stuff that I've missed out on over the past 5 or so years like Kamala Khan and Miles, Captain Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Silk, Thor and Odinson. I also love that there's an obvious trend towards including female and ethnic characters in the line-ups and even if that's predicated principally upon farming future movie projects, I still think it's a massively positive movement.

I love that there's 3 Avengers teams (and A-Force, which is probably my favourite and giving me a weird Steven Universe vibe) and none of them feel like the B-team. I love that they're giving characters like Carol and Sunspot and Adam Brashear room to shine. I love that 4 out of my 5 fave books star female characters and none of them feel cheesecakey. I love that they're giving authors massive leeway right from the get-go to cure Galactus or turn Cap and in doing so make big statements for their books to build on.

I just got done with the latest Thor and I freaking love everything about this new status quo. Thor's design is awesome, Jane's situation is really interesting and Tetsuo-Odinson looks loving boss. I just finished reading Mockingbird and I'm loving all of it. This is massive change for the positive all across the board for me.

I'm aware that I'm just saying how much I love things over and over so I'll change it up: while Invincible Iron Man is really strong Civil War 2 feels like Bendis doing his "okay the characters are going to do THIS now and everyone is just going to have to deal with it" and it seems to be very average as far as events go, and I didn't even bother with Standoff. I do like that it's pushing retooled characters like Carol and freaking Karnak though, who has really surprised me with how much I dig him.

Alright I'm going to stop now. The past few weeks have been me dipping my toes back into comics after several years break and I'm really enjoying all the little surprises I'm finding.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Every hulk is already a white hulk.

Apart from the Totally Awesome Hulk.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Dacap posted:

Looks like RiRi Williams won't be the new War Machine like we thought, she's the new Iron Man

http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-williams-tony-stark/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Sorry, who is this? I've just got done with the first story arc of Invincible Iron Man and I don't remember this person showing up. Is she new?

Edit: never mind, just read the article. I thought that "kid at MIT reverse-engineered my armour" was just a throwaway line. That's interesting.

I can't get over how she looks exactly like Garnet minus the glasses.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 6, 2016

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

X-O posted:

Time to get on the second arc!

Honestly the art is putting me off. I grew up reading UK comics and having the artist change so often kinda bugs me.

I'll give it a go though. I've enjoyed the introduction of Miles, Kamala and new Thor into the Marvel world so I'm optimistic about this. It definitely seems more organic than DC's approach to integrating female and ethnic characters, which a friend described to me as shoving Cyborg on the cover and doing nothing with him. Caveat; I don't read DC so that might just be petty slagging.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I really wish they'd just drop it. Maybe it's something Americans find interesting and exotic but it always seemed eye-rollingly goofy to me, like someone saying "Zounds!" or whatever.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I really like that time but...

Am I the only one who really, really, really, really hates Ultimate Thor's hammer?

Why can't we just have Odinson rock around with his Destroyer arm, kickass axe and crazy Tetsuo cloak? Isn't that badass enough? He's more vulnerable without the hammer, it differentiates Jane from him even more, and the hammer just looks silly, especially when you've already got an axe like, right there!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

But why does he need to use the hammer at all? This is an opportunity to expand the charscter in a way we'd not normally see. Maybe they'll still go for that, I have faith in this creative team, it just feels a bit silly to me to make him "unworthy" but then still go half-measures in giving him "a" Mjolnir anyway.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

X-O posted:

Bendis and Maleev on:

INFAMOUS IRON MAN #1
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • ALEX MALEEV (A/C)
There is a new Iron Man in town and his name is VICTOR VON DOOM. The greatest villain of the Marvel Universe will try something new. Where Tony Stark failed, Doom will succeed. What is Doom's Master Plan?

What, not Superior Iron-Man?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I actually just picked up the issue of Inhumans that focused on Reader getting his dog back and really liked it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

I'd rather talk about how awesome this issue was rather than how confusing CW2 is.

Reader is a seriously cool character and anyone who adds another dog into the superhero support pool is fine by me. When I realized what he was doing this chapter I just got the biggest smile on my face.

On the other side of things I picked up Vision 9 and yeah, this isn't doing it for me at all. I can see why this would be some people's bag because it's approaching tones in a not--mostly-unintelligent say but by the end of the issue I was rolling my eyes instead of crying them out.

I'm still interested in seeing Viv(?) in Champions though. Seriously looking forward to that line-up, especially after getting caught up on ANADA and seeing what Waid's doing with the Kamala, Miles and Sam.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Random question, is the new run of Black Panther by Tah-Nehisi Coates worth picking up? The previews looked interesting to me and I liked the art.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I felt like the entire Civil War tie-in hijacked the book and it was pretty obvious the author wanted to do something else so her characters other than manufactured in-fighting. Which, yeah, was a shame because I hopped onboard at the beginning of the Duchess story and really enjoyed what happened on all levels.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

She's a sentient pocket universe, that's good enough nonsense-talk for me.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

SilverSupernova posted:

Ewing seems to be dropping some hints in today's New Avengers and Ultimates books for some sort of cosmic scale war event taking place in the near future.

I think that's a given once we find out what's going on with Eternity's imprisonment.I've got zero idea who could even be behind this.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

I think I was hoping for something a bit more lighthearted in Champions. You've got an upbeat cast with a strong library of interaction, and healthy amounts of characterization. I think I was more hoping for along the lines of what we see in Ms. Marvel - IE, Canadian, Croc-Wearing Ninja villains, rather than Afterschool Special Bad Guys, and a "You know guys, I learnt something fighting these sex traffickers!" spiel without a hint of self-awareness.

Could also just be I'm not the target audience for this comic! Who knows what the kids like now days?

Probably not this bland crap.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

As a card-carrying non-American I'm fully fine with Marvel focusing on American characters if it means they're going to be better characters. Diversity for diversity's sake is as much a crutch as it is impetus for positive change. I think the gender disparity in top heroes was the most important thing for to cover and they're gettin there with Kamala, Laura and Thor and (sort-of) Carol, as well as a bunch of fun minor characters like Gwenpool, Doreen, Mockingbird and the various Spider-Ladies.

I mean, Marvel's history of tying to create characters from where I come from has given us Banshee (who might actually be Scotish now that I think about it) and Bullseye that one time. I'm totally down with not having to read another Irish character that somebody thinks I'll get because he says "ye" instead of "you" and "talks loik dis at tree in da morning."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I was defending the writing in Civil War 2 at the outset, then the stuff with Banner and the weird pacing issues happened I put it off as Bendis just having an off day, but this latest issue was just so incredibly bad. It reads so similarly to Age of Ultron that it's actually pretty shocking, and it's definitely one of my least favourite crossovers to date.

I also decided to catch up on Death of X and it just doesn't make sense. It reads like the writer thought the final twist was so good that he didn't have to validate any of the character motivations or plot points that had been set into motion in the mutant books to this point. It's not a strong week for Marvel.

Synthbuttrange posted:

ugh Carol is in Ultimates again? bleh

They will push Carol in every team book they can, not give any of the writers time to do stuff with her before they make her the vanilla-flavoured centerpiece of the next crossover, and then reset the teams again.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

I love the juxtaposition of how people are reacting to what Cyclops did as opposed to how people react to Carol going full fascist in Civil War.

Everyone's acting out of character in CW2 explicitly to service the plot. Tony is torturing kids. Clint is killing his buddy. Everyone's treating the Inhumans, a secret-society of about 12 obscure whackos until around 6 months ago in-universe as a sovereign and powerful nation. Cap has literally no reason to be where he is right now other than to let the money-shot happen and the characters even address this. Tony is attacking Carol because of ... I'm still not sure why. And of course, everyone's believing Ulysees visions are gospel despite most of them having been drugged, mind-controlled, possessed or suffered hallucinogenic episodes in the past.

The pacing is way off - like Age of Ultron are-they-ever-gonna-get-to-the-fireworks-factory level off - characters seem to be dragged along in others' slipstream just to facilitate the random-rear end fights, and we get weird stuff like Jen getting a page-splash for her transformation into a green-scarred Hulk and it's literally never mentioned again.

quote:

Why doesn't Magick just open a giant portal and send the terrigen clouds into another dimension?

Why are we pretending this isn't 2016 and that we can't track weather patterns (which, yeah, cloud dispersal?) or that the US government would not be concerned about this travelling death-fog that kills or mutates it's citizens? And that in the best-case scenario where it's citizens are mutated into a form that doesn't just turn them into mindless maniacs (like Ulysees' girlfriend in the very first issue of Civil War 2) they're abducted by the agents of another, pathetically small, government?

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 24, 2016

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

Mmm, that's a good look on Havok.

The I-Just-Won-A-Fight-With-Scott look?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

And somehow it's always the Inhumans.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Also I'm really looking forward to the comic's world continued portrayal of the President-figure with it's characteristicly vague grace and grandure after you guys decided to elect Trump.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I've got a lot of problems with Civil War 2 (but those of you saying it's worse than Fear Itself are actually crazy - at least this looks pretty) but I'm currently sat here staring at an Esad Ribic drawing of Odinson Thor versus Loki wielding Allblack the Necrosword and it's the craziest loving thing ever.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Carol is the Roman Reigns of the MCU.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I understand building a character through conflict. I don't understand how having them murder the poster-boy for the entire universe is supposed to make people like them.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah there were no winners here. The entire event was a casualty of just plain bad writing.

And probably a poo poo-ton of meddling.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Hello! I just got caught up on Ultimates 2.

Please consider giving Ultimates 2 a chance! I'm glued to every page of this thing.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

The woman is Idie, she has fire/ice powers and complex feelings about god. I think she's the only character from generation hope who's still around. The dude is Romeo, Iceman's inhuman boyfriend.

I dunno, I've been annoyed with his design from the start. They established way back in the day that Apocalypse didn't actually that grin on his face, and what we thought was his body was actually a robot suit being worn by a withered old guy inside it.

That's just awful.

I get what he's doing here, but because what he's doing is, at it's core, "What twist can I put on this 14 year old character" it's not very compelling.

Plus this idea is literally Doctor Doom's whole thing already; it's not the burnt, crispy body, it's the indomitable mind.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Anyone even remotely aware of this situation should realize that it is not something worth defending. It's loving vile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I appreciate that his parting message was one of good grace and attempted reconcilliation (kinda), but I grew up in a community divided by sectarianism and sectarian violence and I have zero patience for anyone inciting it. I won't say it often, but this was absolutely the right call on Marvel's part.

• Locked thread