Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Man stux is really really obsessed. I wonder what it's like for your entire identity to be based in video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

I'm wondering about the detachable controllers part. Why have detachable controllers instead of having the controller and screen be the main controller and then having separate controllers, like with the Wii U? All speculation at this point anyway so who knows

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

because the screen needs to dock to tv and you need a controller to use.

Ahh okay I see, my next question was gonna be does the controller transmit video to the TV wirelessly or not, now it makes sense. So no more dual screen stuff?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Dexo posted:

Why would it be the Death of the Second Screen.

It could potentially mimic a WiiU when hooked into a TV With the controllers being connected to a screen and rendering whatever is on the gamepad on the portable part while the game is on the TV. And then when it's in portable mode it's just treated like playing WiiU gamepad with one screen.

Yeah but the portable part is most likely wired to the television which makes using it kind of a pain unless you regularly stand in front of the tv when you play stuff. Maybe it'll ship with a 20 foot hdmi cable

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Maybe it's huge and that's why JNCO is coming back suddenly

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Boten Anna posted:

e: ^^ I hope y'all are right but I've been burned giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt many, many times before

Yeah that's what I'm saying, they're totally going to not let you play Pokemon docked because gently caress you.

I mean I could see certain games requiring so much horsepower or even some kind of coprocessor in the dock (that thing where it does some kind of cluster computing function is still floating around after all) that they can ONLY be played docked and for admittedly sound technical reasons, but I will not be shocked if Nintendo restricts your ability to play certain games docked for no good reason other than they still want to pretend there's a line between mobile and console.

drat it nintendo is doomed! i knew it!!!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this a real post or are you channeling jivjov?

How is it that you're so dense that you can't see that "something being fun" and "something being a flop for a company" can easily go hand in hand? Just because the console sold like poo poo and you have a grand total of 4 games to look forward to until the NX releases doesn't mean the console is somehow unfun for everyone. I enjoy my Wii U when I play it: it has fun games and there's a lot of fun to be had with the drat thing, but I'm not going to lie to myself about it not being a total failure.

You're really not seeing the overlying problem with the fine lovely mess that Nintendo has gotten themselves in because they didn't evolve with the times and relied on gimmicks to sell their consoles. Now it worked, really well, with the Wii but they killed off a lot of third party support that the other consoles were getting because of the underpowered hardware and terrible internet services. The Wii U farts out without anyone willing to support it, causing Nintendo to miss out on big-name titles that sell a lot of consoles. Now with the Wii U barely out the gate Nintendo's putting it out to pasture with another console based around some gimmick (hopefully to get that Wii sales money) with no third party support announced (save for one game?).

Seeing Nintendo leave the hardware market would be strange, but it's really not hard to imagine considering the position they're in. I'm curious to hear why people think the NX will succeed.

I wouldn't even say that, Mario Kart always sells.

is this a real post

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

i'm curious to hear why a nintendo handheld will succeed

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

doesn't madden basically play itself at this point

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

how is someone just now discovering this

the guy running linux is surprised that things have clocks in them

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

greatn posted:

VR is exactly the same kind of shovel ware mini games gamers complained about with the Wii but now they like Woooooooaaaah holy shiiiiit I'm wearing a helmeeeet!

pretty much

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

paco650 posted:

Just release a normal loving console so we can get some normal loving sequels for fucks sake.

ahahaha awww :( poor thing

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

they should make it ultra flimsy like they do with cell phones so that most people end up having to buy more than one

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

i think you might be confused

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

ohh my gaddddd

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

gently caress yeah but what's up with that d-pad

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

oh kewl there's a good d-pad on the pro controller one

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

i see that platinum logo on there!!!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

ChibiSoma posted:

Looked like it. That thing's going to have halved framerate in handheld mode. At least. Given the action-y games they showed off, that's probably not a good thing. They couldn't even make the thing look good in their announcement trailer.

It's a technical nightmare. There are so many parts. Also, loving no one's going to lug around a WiiU tablet-sized "handheld" more than like... to the bathroom. Which, if you're into taking a poo poo while collecting stars or shines or whatever, that's cool. But I can't imagine anyone actually taking that thing out anywhere. No screen protection. Where would you put it?

Also that might be their worst controller ever. At least the default one. Four buttons instead of a dpad so, when you're playing half-assed multiplayer modes that don't need a camera control, you still have buttons. Fighting games are right out. At least they showed off one that looks a little better. Hopefully it actually has some heft to it this time around.

oh and the framerate was choppy when it showed splatoon too, maybe every game is 2 frames per second. that would make sense. i'm a genius

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Alan Is More Upset posted:

This looks really loving stupid. Ouya levels of poo poo going on here. Is this a prank??? I mean, it takes cartridges???

cartridges are cheaper to produce than blu-rays. it's funny seeing people try to argue from a position of us living in 1995

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Lol Nintendo keep making worse and worse controllers holy poo poo I can't even imagine holding that could come close to comparing to cradling Ben Kuchera's wife's titty

yeah man what's up with that controller that's shaped exactly like every other game consoles controller? that's so hosed up and lovely. how is anyone supposed to use that

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

eames posted:

I don't know, going toe-to-toe with phone SoCs seems like a terrible idea. I assume this is some sort of Nvidia Tegra/ARM affair. The stationary part will be outdated when it is released and the mobile part a year later... and then what? :shrug:
Maybe they'll backport Wii Sports?

yeah i know how is nintendo going to compete with all those great telephone games such as "Rub The Screen" and "Touch A Colors"

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Ultimate Mango posted:

How about user replaceable batteries for the main screen and each of the two little controllers? HA HA HA probably not, have fun when leaving it plugged into your TV most of the time means you get 50% run time off the battery inside six months.

hello person from ten years ago. have you heard of batteries lately

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Phimosissy posted:

That thing is literally the Player 2 Controller.

what I mean is

It's in the box so it comes with a controller, but everyone will buy a pro controller to use at home

yeah that's the controller you make your friends use

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Mulva posted:

Have you heard of this new technology called "SD cards"?

are you trying to tell me my telephone doesn't have a tiny blu ray disc spinning in it nonstop

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

bloodysabbath posted:

Oh boy now I can finally play The Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

What a dumb thing. What a godawful controller. And there's no way they don't cheap the gently caress out on the screens.

Any news on friend codes?

yeah it has friend codes and you have to pedal it like a bike, it's so gay

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

CrashCat posted:

weirdly enough even cell phones have been going back to user replaceable batteries now, at least if you're not stuck in Genius land

I guess people finally bitched enough

actually i think they sell them so they can get money from people who think batteries still die from being on the charger

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

This.

"Hey guys let's double down on the gimmicky poo poo that made the Wii U a colossal failure. Surely nothing can go wrong."

poo poo, I'll probably get one for Zelda if it has exclusive Switch only features.

nintendo is doomed. i knew it

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

i wouldn't believe this if it was juts text, but since it's a picture of bullet points i believe it more

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can't wait to play 2011's smash hit Skyrim on my Nintendo Switch in the year 2017 but without the mod support that makes Skyrim less of a steaming pile of poo poo

nintendo needs third party support
NO NOT THIS KIND OF THIRD PARTY SUPPORT

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

This is like one of those things someone creates a render for and puts up on kickstarter promising the future of portable gaming and usability. But it never gets funded or really gets off the ground because its a really silly and kinda useless gimmick that won't see use after the first hour of "oh this is neat".

But then nintendo was like "stop, we'll fund this". And here we are.

it's almost as bad as VR

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

it does look kind of like a prototype doesn't it

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Inacio posted:

we can still hope

that's what i was thinking, nintendo products usually look a little different from how they do when they first announce them

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Mario hasnt been officially confirmed so i guess its not coming out either. Thats too bad. Maybe... it will never have games....

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MinibarMatchman posted:

grafix for this look good, idk why people are worried about the horsepower. if you really give a poo poo about ULTRA HIGH graphics then you wouldn't be playing on a console, would you

Here come people who don't know how to work Windows to tell you what an elitist piece of poo poo you are

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

I learned a lot about how dumb people are about their phones and tablets from this thread

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

Forza isn't better than Mario Kart

Forza Horizon is though

are you trying to tell me microsoft published a good game

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

4 & 32 gigs of RAM, huh?

loving LOL. Guess it will be Nintendo all the way down again. No multi-plats.

Good example of someone who doesn't know the difference between RAM and storage trying to demonstrate their expertise in hardware to us

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

nintendo laying it all on the line by making a video game playing machine.... what are they thinking............???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Mercury Crusader posted:

"There hasn't been a good Nintendo game since that one game I liked when I was 12 years old." - some 30+ year old goon that thinks Fallout 4 is good probably

* 35 year old man who still feels cool whenever a game has an M rating *

• Locked thread