Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Most of Rebirth is looking pretty great.

The Green Lantern line looks like poo poo and while I like Tom King on Batman I would've loved it more if he was on Green Lantern and continued his Omega Men themes in that story.

I also don't really care for the Superman line, at least Supes himself. I love the new costume but Tomasi was awful on SM/WW and his side of Truth was the worst of the lot which is saying something when Yang was doing a rubbish job too.

On the other hand holy poo poo Wonder Woman and holy poo poo I never thought I'd be reading Deathstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I just hope Rucka's Wonder Woman: The Lies doesn't proceed to retcon all of Azz's run.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Isn't her name Aleka in Azz's Wondy or are we just ignoring his run altogether like Wondy usually suffers?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I prefer this Superman design and I honestly thought it was what we were getting until the Rebirth book dropped.

They should keep that costume for when Superbro hopefully eventually comes back.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Young Animal seems to be making up for a lot of it hopefully.

I still wish we got Tom King on Green Lanterns after his work with Omega Men though.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Superbro is a great character with a lot of unexplored potential and it's really boring that he's getting thrown out in favour of Superdad who's already had 25 years worth of stories especially with Dan Jurgens and Peter Tomasi writing, the former who's been really average at best and the latter who has been loving awful with the Superman character. Tomasi was easily the worst part of Truth and Last Days of Superman is decompressed with a really flimsy premise that's been dragged out to 8 issues and not nearly enough story going on to justify it.

Ideally Lois and Clark should've just been an outside continuity series that just continued to tell Post Crisis Superman stories as if a reboot didn't happen instead of the convoluted setup that it had while someone like Greg Pak or of a similar caliber continued to tell good New 52 Superman stories that aren't constantly dragged into crossovers.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'd really hate if they made New52 Superman some sort of impostor. Morrison's and Pak's Action Comics runs showed that he was definitively Superman in character and ideals in his own way.

As for Rebirth I'll be reading:
Batman
All Star Batman
Deathstroke
The Hellblazer
The Flash
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Suicide Squad

I'll keep reading Dr Fate because I just can't help but enjoy it even if it's a bit slow and has an odd take on Med school and I'll probably give Cyborg, Trinity and Blue Beetle a chance too.

Barry Convex posted:

Weird, since it's fairly clear that that reveal was intended just for Justice League #50.

Actually, it's more than a bit odd that Rebirth just recapped the Joker and Wonder Woman reveals without advancing them at all.

That's probably cause they'll be followed up in their series. At the very least Rucka's "Lies" storyline sounds like it'll be about this twin brother Jason reveal.

EDIT: Oh yeah Omega Men had such a good ending holy poo poo. I hope Tom King writes GL someday.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 26, 2016

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Also nobody say Superbro and Superdad anymore, please.

But why?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I know this was mentioned a while back but Dan Abnett's Earth 2 is actually a HUGE improvement over all the garbage that came before it, its biggest problem is that it's stuck picking up the pieces after the mess that it's had to work with.

That interview with Abnett for Aquaman mentioned that he wanted to take a Rebirth approach to Earth 2 even though it wasn't technically part of Rebirth and I hope that means he basically gets to throw out all the previous crap and take it back to the more optimistic tone of the Robinson era with all the worldbuilding and cool Golden Age references that involved.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Constantine the Hellblazer has been a fantastic run so Tynion is an alright writer in my book.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I have to agree with Teenage Fansub.

It seems like, other than Green Arrow Rebirth which was a fantastic issue, the rest of these Rebirth issues are just a messy exercise in dumping some plot and doing some continuity house keeping so that they can go on to do the rest of their stories. Flash Rebirth was a massive a clusterfuck and it's a shame that Venditti's run has apparently done as much as damage as it has because I could barely make sense of this going straight from Manapul and Buccellato's run to this issue. Oh and I'm surprised the colouring looked pretty amateurish since I'm fairly sure Ivan Plascencia does the colour for Constantine the Hellblazer which has been gorgeous up until now.

I really hope Rucka's run isn't just going to throw out Azzarello's run though Ares' helmet getting crushed isn't a good sign.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 8, 2016

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The problem is Wonder Woman writers keep doing this poo poo all the time. They keep tearing down the mythology of previously established and well regarded runs just to make their own mark on the character and it results in a character that has very few enduring supporting characters and enduring themes and story arcs as a result.

Azz at least had the excuse of the New 52 reboot to do his thing but this poo poo has been happening for ages before him with writers were regularly messing with Wonder Woman's origins and throwing each others' established arcs/cast/setup out.

And it's annoying because it would be far better to actually build on each others' stories instead or at the very least not throw the entire thing out when you're writing your own stories.

Charles Soule's Swamp Thing is probably my favourite run to come out of the New 52 and the only storyline comparable with Azz's Wonder Woman in the New 52 and one of the great things about it is that it builds on a lot of the themes and ideas first established in Snyder's Swamp Thing run. Stuff that Snyder never really followed through on because he got bogged down with the Rot storyline plays out in Soule's run in some really fascinating stories. Soule clearly takes Swamp Thing in his own direction, creates new supporting cast members and for the most part stays out of all the Rot related stuff Snyder went into but he doesn't feel the need to throw out all the good setup, worldbuilding and characterisation that Snyder did for the character or retcon the entire thing as a massive lie.

And he also doesn't do that in a lovely decompressed issue that endlessly parrots "The lies! The story changes! Where is the Truth?" 40 times.

Wonder Woman seems to be one of the main characters that suffers from this and it's frustrating because the character could be far more interesting by building on previously well regarded runs instead of just constantly starting from scratch.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

drat JRjr's art actually looks really good here, guess that makes up for the 4 month delay. On top of the good colourist I also think it looks good because it looks like it's just pencils instead of the inking that seems to make it a lot worse.

Last Crusade is the most interesting DK3 project to me. Jason Todd's death needs a far better story than the incredibly stupid one that was Death in the Family.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

That's the New 52/Morrison depiction of Jor El and baby Clark's rocket.

Are they somehow merging the two characters together now?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

They need to bring Krypto back. Either of them.

Krypto's around.

He was in Morrison and Pak's Action Comics runs.

I don't know how he'd react to New/Old Superman though.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I honestly really enjoyed Aquaman, Flash was ok but god Wonder Woman was stupidly decompressed. Steve's part of the story was interesting but Wonder Woman was just saying the same poo poo over and over again just to drag out the reveal for the end of the issue. That kind of thing might slightly be ok in a double shipped title but the next issue is Year One so there's really no good reason to be decompressing The Lies storyline this much.

I liked the art though Nicola Scott's is looking like it'll be way better.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

goldenoreos posted:

Kinda funny that Constantine would leave America due to Trump when the UK now has Margaret Thatcher 2.0 as PM now along with Brexit to deal with.

That would be awesome if that's exactly how it plays out though and we get a kind of Delano style run filled with anger and frustration over the current political scene mixed in with demons.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked Hellblazer, including the art when the colouring isn't intruding on it too hard. The backgrounds and background characters are really charming to me.

How was Morrison and Millar's run on Swamp Thing?

I thought Hellblazer was pretty good too. I didn't like Wonder Woman or Shazam turning up but for the most part it was a pretty good Rebirth issue and I'd want to read more.

Morrison and Millar's run on Swamp Thing is good. The first story (Bad Gumbo) is not so great but the rest is good and it gets better and better and the final Trial by Fire storyline is fantastic and feels a lot like the last part of Alan Moore's Miracleman.

It's best read after reading Moore and then Rick Veitch's runs because it follows up on both of those runs really well and works as a great finale to the character. I'd say only Moore and the New 52 Swamp Thing runs are better than Millar's.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

The poor decision was Greg Pak simultaneously making the All-Star jumping girl an in-universe character and bumping her off to make Superman feel bad.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/19/greg-pak-just-killed-off-regan-star-superman/

e: and that storyline being called Superman's Joker. I just remembered that one.

ee: I think giving a gallows tribute to your sacred cow moments after ten years is a healthy thing. The moment linked here is far more crass to me.

Greg Pak didn't kill that girl though. She comes back at the end of the story.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hellblazer was great, Wonder Woman's "Lies" storyline is starting to pick up but Deathstroke was the absolute highlight of the week and is quickly becoming my favourite series alongside Green Arrow.

I wish Aco would do the interiors as well though, loved him on Midnighter.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's called Uluru, not Ayers Rock :colbert:

Of course Digger would be bogan enough to insist on still calling it Ayer's Rock in his bullshit Bond fantasy.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Blight could've been a decent story if it just stayed within the Phantom Stranger series. I actually really liked what they were doing with in that book at first. Unfortunately in the end it just became a big clusterfuck and derailed PS into a complete mess by the end, which sucks cause that would've been a great limited series if it weren't for the constant crossovers.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think most of the good DC titles have been mentioned plenty of times but I think Suicide Squad is better than people give credit for. Rob Williams did a fantastically underrated run on Martian Manhunter and I think his work here is pretty good too - it's definitely the best run of Suicide Squad I've read in years (admittedly not saying much) and aside from the inconsistent art, which is at least consistent enough for each arc, I really like his take on all the characters and their banter. His Waller is also pretty solidly cold and manipulative and actually fat as opposed to New 52 where she was incredibly stupid.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Madkal posted:

Suicide Squad is really good but sadly the singles are very short. Half the book dedicated to story and other half dedicated to history makes it feel very short on both.
Also in regards to Bloodlines I just remember the annuals scaring the gently caress out of me as a young kid.

The most recent issue was a single storyline. I suspect the backups approach was to accommodate for Jim Lee but now that it's Tony Daniel/a new artist per arc they've been moving away from that format.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I really liked Tynion and Ming Doyle's Hellblazer. Simon Oliver's was honestly surprisingly disappointing considering it had a really cool premise involving Constantine travelling with Swamp Thing into the Rot...and then that never actually really happened.

Seeley's a really entertaining writer.

I hope his take is way better.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I've largely ignored the Lazarus Contract. I'm hoping I can continue reading Deathstroke as if it could largely be ignored moving on from the Twilight to Defiance arcs.

And gently caress you guys Azz's Wondy was glorious- Rucka's current run is largely mediocre and nowhere near the quality of his old stuff. Erasing a great run for this dreck is just a further insult. Year One was decent until the anticlimactic ending but the rest was decompressed and extremely average.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm really hoping Tim Seeley coming on to The Hellblazer helps bring back some quality again. Constantine: The Hellblazer was a fantastic run that did great work with the character I don't know why they had to change creative teams with Rebirth as it was a solid team for those 12-13 issues.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I want to say it's cause Jonathan Glapion inked Capullo's early work on New52 Batman and he's inking this current issue of Action Comics.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Also Abnett's Aquaman became a fantastic read once Sejic and Khouri stepped in.

The new storyline has a genuinely interesting plot that does some really cool underwater stuff and fleshes out Atlantis a lot more and the art is gorgeous.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

You can jump right into Metal without reading the Casting or the Forge tbh.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Abnett's Aquaman has really stepped up in quality since Sejic came on for the art.
I'd be up for a Mera mini-series.

Still waiting on Rise of the Seven Seas though.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Lord Vyndktvx was behind the crash in Morrison's run on Action Comics. Having said that, that particular run had Clark actually take Lana to the Prom rather than her going with Pete Ross so we're already diverging from that.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

After Superman Reborn, his past should be up for slight retconning. This thing's gonna live on it's own way past caring about who danced with him at the prom or tying the crash to Morrison's Action Comics anyhow.
Was there any prom scene in Geoff n Garry's 'Secret Origin'?

To be honest I'm just kind of glad that some part of Morrison's Action Comics lives on. The prom dance thing is fairly minor in the grand scheme of it.

I don't think there was a prom scene in secret origin. From memory the first issue involved Clark learning to control his heat vision and putting on his glasses and Lana knowing about his secret. Then the second issue involved LoSH shenanigans and the issues after that went on to Metropolis stuff.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Azz's Wondy was fantastic and way more interesting than Rucka's mediocre second run.

Also Azz wrote Lex Luthor: Man of Steel and Hundred Bullets so he's a perfectly fine writer in my view.

And while I don't know how much of a role Azz had in writing it, Dark Knight: The Last Crusade was one of the best genuinely, unironically good Frank Miller stories in a long while.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I legit loved Chris Priest's first issue of JL. I thought it was a solid chapter that really conveyed the messy multitasking nature of the JL facing off multiple threats and Batman's mistake made complete sense and was reasonably and not overly melodramatic. It's a really well handled take on a more politicised JL so far and I'd be interested in seeing where that goes.

I really hope Priest sticks around cause I trust him as one of the few writers to handle a more down to earth political tone for JL as a change of pace from big existential threats.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

pubic works project posted:

I am constantly amazed how good Aquaman is. It's one of my top DC titles after Batman, Superman, and Detective.

There's been a huge quality spike since the Underworld story began and Sejic came on for a brief stint on the art. The new artist is still fantastic so I'm glad that side of things hasn't dipped.

Aquaman is easily in my top for Rebirth along with Green Arrow, Deathstroke and it looks like Priest on JL is gonna end up there too if he keeps this up. In all honesty I've found Rebirth incredibly underwhelming and safe so it's nice to start seeing some quality titles start to show up for me. Here's hoping Terrifics is great and I'm really hoping Lemire on Hawkman Found means a Lemire Hawkman run coming up later on.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I liked his Flash run. It wasn't by any means amazing but it was a solid run with great art and basically better than any Flash run that came after it and was certainly better than some of the Flash stuff that was immediately before it.

It really hurts to not have a good Flash comic in a while.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Roth posted:

Scott Snyder's Swamp-Thing was good until Rotworld started.

The great part is that after Rotworld Charles Soule comes in and his run on Swamp Thing is basically the best run on the character since Alan Moore (so basically second best imo).

The Future's End issue works as a perfect finale to his run.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

in direct comparison to Rucka WW, which we just got a story all about how her different characterizations are equally valid

The run in which he said the previous iteration was an invalid lie? What?

Also gently caress Batman, Aquaman was sooo good this month with gorgeous art as usual.

It's been such a step up in quality since Abnett got Sejic and began the Rath storyline. It doesn't get nearly enough love.

Also I'm still really enjoying Priest's JL run. Political JL has such a potential to be terrible but I think Priest has a reasonable handle on it though I'm not quite impressed with The Fan as a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Boo to Priest leaving JL. I was liking the more political direction he was taking it from the usual big stakes storyline and while I have been enjoying metal I hate Williamson and have found Tynion mediocre in everything other that Constantine the Hellblazer so I cant see Snyder’s new thing being as interesting.