Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well, my new metal roof is half done and my upstairs temperature is already down to a point where the AC can cope with it.

I got the most reflective option which might have been overkill, but now I can chill out upstairs and look down on the peasants who are blinded by the light reflecting off my shiny new roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

this site says

https://paganresearch.io/company/costco

Employee:Craig Jelinek
Title:CEO, EVP & COO
Email:
cjelinek@costco.com
LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/craig-jelinek-88b18113/
Employee:Paul Moulton
Title:EVP and CIO
Email:
pmoulton@costco.com
LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/craig-jelinek-88b18113/
Employee:Peter Sampson
Title:Executive Director - Technology Solutions
Email:
psampson@costco.com
LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-sampson-03586b55/
Employee:Jay B. Smith
Title:Director of Marketing Strategy and Digital Growth
Email:
jsmith@costco.com
LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jay-b-smith-03b82220/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, finally 100% done with my upstairs. Metal roof is on, windows are replaced, rotted out dormers replaced, upstairs AC unit now drains properly from both main unit and drain pan.

As always, huge pain in the rear end with fixing larger problems slanting down into fixing incrementally smaller problems

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 9, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well, now that I finally have the upstairs nice and cool with its own dedicated AC unit, the downstairs AC unit just died

20 years old and used R22, needs a full replacement and lowest quote I've got is $7500

fun

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

slurm posted:

People act like this is a perk of renting but my landlord took over a year to repair the AC last time it went out so at least you can have this

the most competent property manager I had made a point of showing that he installed two fully functional AC systems in every group of apartments specifically so we'd still have AC if one of them died.

the least competent landlord sent a guy with a can of spray-foam to clog up the hole a rat chewed in the wall, which lasted about 2 hours.

land of contrasts

anyway, at least I'm also replacing a 30-year-old gas furnace so it could be worse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

If you get a heat pump rather than cool only, you might be eligible for the 30% up to $2K tax credit.

sadly it looks like that starts in 2023

EDIT: or, no, wait, the rebates don't qualify for this year but tax credits do?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

* In both cases the amount of time it takes to program is easily double the amount of time you'd save in a year if you just manually did the thing. The sprinkler's programming interface is a dial with magic positions, an enter key, and no other buttons :psyduck:

on the other hand, if I just manually had to turn sprinklers on and off on a fixed schedule they'd just never get turned on

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, gently caress.

Lol a company said our house had asbestos on popcorn that was installed in 2000 (bu in a house that was built when asbestos could have been in it). That would have been a huge loving big deal so we roped in the local government and suddenly the company tested it again and what do you know they made a mistake and gave a full refund.

So its possible they just lazily looked at the construction date and didnt bother testing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, it was one of those mail in tests, so unless they went above and beyond and did a title search or something, I doubt they'd know when it was constructed. I don't recall putting that info in.

they could look up the address on zillow

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just get an easement for your guests.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Would it make much of a difference if the roof was painted white, or is most of the heat coming from the climate control inside the house?

color does cause a significant change in top of roof roof temperature (can be 30 C in summer) but not sure about how much it'd do about ice dams

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

in the electrophysiology world, PWM is awful and I hate it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

Follow-up, I decided to test the kitchen water by doing a lot of dishwashing by hand tonight. The reaction seemed slower, but still present. I may have been imagining the slower, or it might have been from the lower average temp I was using to wash the dishes. Either way, it appears to be in three sinks and two showers in the apt. I'll look into pool places, though I am a little confused because if it's the chlorine, wouldn't I have reacted to swimming in chlorinated water as a child? I know allergies can develop with age, but this seems a little silly.

I suppose I could always try the pool and see how I do, but I kinda dread that tbh. Perhaps if I travel somewhere, try a pool there to try to isolate the chlorine a bit?

just to check, you haven't changed soap brands or something, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

Get a steam cleaner: https://dupray.com/products/neat-steam-cleaner or https://www.mccullochsteam.com/shop/steam-cleaners/mc1375-canister-steam-cleaner

Basically you just blast grime with superheated steam and it melts out of whatever it's embedded in and you wipe it up. No harsh chemicals or scrubbing required.

There's a ton of other stuff you can do with it, like clean the entire bathroom and kitchen, steam-mop the floors, clean windows, disinfect sponges etc., block your knitting/crochet, clean your extractor fan, kill mold and mildew, clean and deodorize upholstery, dewrinkle clothes, detail your car, and more.

doesn't seem to take stains out of my grout, seemed to do okay on the rest of my shower

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have nothing to add to your question.

Sorry.

Edit: What an awful snipe, I'm sorry.

Home Zone: Homer Improvement

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

The loudest leak I ever had was in my chimney, it echoed so loud at night.

Bachelor thread is that way ===>

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In terms of AC in the summer, a white reflective metal roof did a lot for me. No need for panels. Just need to send the daystar's deadly rays back into space.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oak trees are pretty resilient. They survive decades if not centuries of soil changes and hurricane winds. If they don’t get sick, they’re usually fine.

One hurricane took down almost all the oaks in my home city.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I'll certainly never get to Jamie Hyneman's storage level. Looking at it, I don't know if that's heaven or hell.

He already is messing it up, he's got rubber bands in the middle of the t section

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

I've been to several hotels in eastern europe where the bathroom is just a glass box on the side of the room. I assume there's some manner of popular fetish I'm not aware of/don't want to be aware of that made this setup so widespread.

Its so guests can keep an eye on the prostitutes in case they try stealing from their luggage or wallet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they have an aol email and still answer it they are obviously legit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I would simply get the best efficiency on my water heater by using geothermal energy and building my house in a hotspring.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Bad King posted:

We had the type of wants that like to make their homes in electronics and power outlets. Imagine our surprise to see a colony inside our WiFi router.

it's the NSA, your network has been bugged

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

toilet rascal

One of the better Schwarzenegger movies

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Etsy's search is hot garbage, like 50% ads at this point, so site limited image search is your friend for this sort of thing.

Just put in some adjectives onto this search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aetsy.com+lampshade&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

it's awful for sellers too, they've just gone totally to poo poo after going public

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just found out that the PO installed a toilet by half-cutting thru a joist to make way for a pipe, then realized he didn't actually need to do that.

Found this out because we thought the wax seal was leaking a little, so had it replaced. Did a test flush afterwards and a ton of water came out, seems like actually the flange leaks, replacing the seal made it worse, and gonna have to replace the whole shebang.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

update on joists situation, so here's the original cut in half joist from before

it appears what actually happened is they cut out that big notch for Toilet A, and later on renovated to replace it with Toilet B, doing further joist damage in the process

note that the piping hole for Toilet B goes nicely across the edges of two pieces of plywood.

Anyway it's sistered now with a couple of kickers added but the two questions the contractor had are
A) how did this pass inspection during construction
B) how did this pass inspection during purchase

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I will say my metal roof is providing A+ insulation compared to shingles

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Get one of those absurdly bright leds intended for outdoor usage and use it as a spill light

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Yeah dogs tracking the clay in AND pet dander and hair are going to be a big source of dust. You can vac and filter to your hearts desire and you'll still be dusty. only thing that's gunna maybe help is more or higher air movement filters.
You may want to also set your HVAC to circulate so even if it's off it will exchange air (you'll need to change filters more often)

Vacuum your dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Cons:
Cost, noise (possibly not important depending on how heavy of rainfall you get and how much insulation there is between roof and living space), potentially poor cell phone reception, harder to work on than a shingle roof depending on slope and generally more expensive/harder to repair. You also are supposed to get the screws tightened every few years which nobody does (not applicable on standing seam, but they are $$$$) and that’s an ongoing maintenance cost.

Pros:
Lasts a long time, probably lower lifetime cost than shingle, generally cooler than shingles if you use a reflective color, generally less risk of leaking but for both shingle and metal that is hugely dependent on the quality of the install.

never had any cell phone reception issues with mine, and the white metal roof had a massive effect on how hot our upstairs was in the summer. Haven't had issues with noise either.

Cost was like $15k for the full install,