Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like april fools day because i get to see half my twitter timeline turn into humorless dorks being grumpy about "a day about telling lies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

It's so nerdy and pointless that it loops around to being amazing.

This reminds me, I came across this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6eY73sLV0

The dude who did that thing where he re-wrote the code ingame for Super Mario World to teleport to the end credits went a step further and just loving coded in a whole other game while in the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

raditts posted:

This would be impressive if they hadn't done that exploit at AGDQ that programmed a Mario Maker clone into the game.

I would probably still hate it though because gently caress Flappy Bird.

I didn't know that happened

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The music verged on unlistenable at times too, which really didn't help.

This is the most hosed up thing i've ever read

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What now, Kiefer Sutherland?! :slick:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:jerkbag:

I like Jontron's videos, but the last thing all the morons who want a vanilla server needed was a popular internet personality endorsing their stupid petition.

Also Mists of Pandaria was awesome, I don't care what some stupid graph said about server population.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

pandaria was good and I'm pretty sure the game saw a drop in subscribers because the game is a billion years old

That's why I so easily discount a subscriber count graph like that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I got my masters in minecart sequences

NOW WE'RE TALKIN!!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lord of the Fallen had Warcraft style art and I hate that poo poo, dunno why.

I'm looking at screenshots of this game and uh... no it didn't? It doesn't look anything like Warcraft :confused:

I WISH more games looked like Warcraft, or Ori or Captain Toad or... idk Trine or whatever. Not to sound too Lurdiak about it, but it's one of the reasons I've never had any interest in the Souls games, I just don't think they look good aesthetically, at least with the way I prefer the games to look. So much of it is so grey and washed out and I get thematically that's kind of the point but still. I get why people love them so much though gameplay wise.

I'd play Dark Souls 3 if it looked like Captain Toad basically :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

I think by "looks like World of Warcraft" he might mean huge-rear end pauldrons your character can wear.

Sounds to me like what he meant to say then was "I have bad taste in video game fashion" :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

I guess you're looking forward to Bright Souls in 2017

Hell yeah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine the issue people have when they say a game is just brown or just green is less that the art is going for a more realistic palette and more than the game has an ugly aesthetic overall. Like how daikatana's first level is just a series of really ugly greens all blending together.

I'll totally admit to being the kind of person that complains about the greys and browns and whatever, but it's more that I think a lot of games don't put a lot of thought into making levels look somber or scary besides washing out the colors or making everything grey. I think a good example of a game that doesn't use color all that often but still ends up looking really good is Wolfenstein TNO. You have these really sterile grey and white buildings everywhere, the nazis have literally sucked the color out of the world, but they also have these really striking huge red nazi banners everywhere and the look works really well. I never get a sense of "ugh more grey uninspired environments" in the game. On the other hand you have something like literally any area in WoW that has a "fel" influence. I love WoW's art style to death but god any fel demon area of the game is just this ugly black and neon green disaster that less gives the "wow look at this hosed up place" feeling and more "so this again, huh Blizzard?".

Of course, for the most part I also just prefer games that look more cartoony with some exceptions. I see something like Doom and everything about that game looks ugly as hell. The colors as well as the general look of everything. Street Fighter V aesthetically is mwah *does italian spicy meatball gesture*

edit:

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's mostly a saturated vs. desaturated colors thing. Where games go wrong in pursuing realism is that the real world has both. Splashes of bright color can be really interesting. Some games can pull off muted colors the whole game, or a specific color theme (Deus Ex: HR, for instance) even if it's repetitive. Or sometimes that's crucial to the game's tone (Red Dead Redemption). But sometimes it just looks boring (Fallout 3), or straight-up clashes with the tone of the game (Serious Sam 3, holy poo poo).

This puts it better in less words. Witcher 3 is an example of a game that tried to pursue realism without everything looking dull and washed out

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 12, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

If I want to plug a Gamecube controller into my PC, what are my options?

Ask for consent first

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hearthstone is good. Unlike Gwent which is bad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

Probably some of the tens of millions of people who play mobas do. mobas are hella good in small doses if you aren't a poor sport

I would argue that a lot of those people don't actually enjoy the mobas they are playing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Spyro retired and is living lavishly in a mansion somewhere making mad bank off the Skylanders royalties

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I've been hearing that apparently gameplay wise it's pretty good?? Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Stay safe everybody, have a good day and do not get stabbed for playing video games

I'll stab anyone that comes between Captain Toad and his treasure

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that a fun game, it looks like a fun game but I heard it was pretty short for a full priced game

It's a fun game and it's not that short and it's $40 not $60 :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm considering replaying either some skyrim or new vegas but I can't decide which, help me, games chat

Captain Toad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hello everyone. I just now discovered Crypt of the Necrodancer (I've heard the name for a while but never took the time to look it up) and it is awesome. And hard.

The soundtrack is dope as hell, but being able to put in custom music means I was soon slaying monsters to Nicki Minaj

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

rip prince, post your favorite princes in video games, mine is Of Persia

Captain Toad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FutonForensic posted:

I have the Souls fatigue. I need to play a game where I can look at an NPC and not go, "Oh, you're a nice person. You're definitely going to die"

Captain Toad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god Epistory. What a charming little game :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

tell me more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ0zGYsHaVI

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

tfw you haven't learned how to drift yet in mario kart

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe people keep recommending videogame books

Do they still make those?

There's a prequel novel for the Warcraft movie coming out

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt that game suck?

It was okay. It would've been better if it designed like a normal platformer instead of trying to do the physics based thing. Also it's Origin exclusive :nallears:

It's quite pretty tho

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

VideoGames posted:

It would be cool to have more Crash Bandicoot.

I'd be okay with simply an HD remake of the original 3, assuming they played the same. I still love how they play but they look really dated (although still pretty good for PS1)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Was Crash Bandicoot a good character? I've never played the games, and my outside perspective was always that he was another animal mascot with tons of 'tude, totally rad, etc.

He barely had any character at all, or even that great of a design. He's still pretty memorable to people though, which is more than you can say for like... Ty the Tiger or Gex

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Spyro has transcended being a video game mascot and has transformed into a video game franchise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

He was well-animated, though. His exaggerated features and movements, as well as the over-the-top death animations, gave the games a lot of character. I think it's why he did so well, despite everything pointed to a failed 90s mascot.

Yeah don't misunderstand me, the games had really good animation for that era. Like anytime Cortex would talk he'd have fully rigged mouth animations and it looked good (though still dated now) instead of the weird like puppet mouths you'd have with say Spyro or anything on the N64. I'm just sayin his character design was never really anything special in the same way Sonic and Mario are but he's still considered pretty memorable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

Ty/Tye's got a seriously hosed up case of side-mouth.

They totally tried to do the thing Sonic does where he has a side mouth except they made it this weird permanent... THING. Like his model in game was literally the two sides of his mouth looking like that and then no sign of a mouth around the rest of his face. It looks terrible. It makes it look like he has 2 mouths.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

nintendo talking about mobile 2night

I wonder if they had any idea what amazing gif potential they had when Reggie did that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I watched some new Pax East footage of Cuphead and they said they added in traditional platforming levels between the boss fights. Be still my heart! :swoon:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

I do check the LPs frequently to see if anything catches my attention, and I usually look for LPs of games I want to check out. I guess I'm looking for something a bit different, maybe something like SpoilerWarning's stuff where they comment on what works and doesn't work in a game, but less... shrill? I used to watch them but one of the guys (and the girl) can be loud as hell.
I really like ManyATrueNerd's lps where he does all the weird challenges.
I actually like some of TB's stuff, but it mostly depends on what he's playing, and his long stuff is mostly things I don't like (like heartstone).
Not making a lot of sense, am I? :v:

Never did listen to their podcast; I usually just check the Quick Look videos. I'll give it a try.

Is that the Angry Video Game Nerd dude? Seems like a more chill take on his usual stuff, sounds good.

Adam Koebal does really good LPs of games where he'll talk at length about things he finds interesting in games, and game design, and things like that. He's got a really interesting playthrough of Wolfenstein: TNO cause his commentary about stuff in the game is really interesting. He is a twitch streamer so all his videos have facecam, he just uploads his stuff on to youtube. I liked his playthroughs of Life is Strange and Soma as well.

If you want something a bit different that's not really video games related, Adam Koebal is also the GM of two rollplay shows that are pretty perfect for podcasting. Rollplay Swan Song has 50 episodes of content, it's essentially streamed DND set in the Stars Without Number setting, though I think almost all of his worldbuilding stuff is original. The other one he did is Mirrorshades which is over now, it was 31 episodes and took place in the Shadowrun universe. I love them and Adam is just a really good GM who describes things in a way that it's almost like watching a movie or tv show. So give those a shot and see if you like them, you can find all of them on itmejp's channel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Weird, all the posts are blank

• Locked thread