Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

At the point near the end where you look at your photos to choose which one to take with you, I was clicking on all of them to hear the different comments they make on each photo and accidentally selected a photo of Vyv. I said it was the one I wanted because I thought it was funny when they give you the chance to backtrack on it but boy did it ruin the post credits stinger's mood. Probably better than my original choice of a photo of Noct and Iris for the sake of Noct and Luna's spirit world marriage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Levantine posted:

I never tried it and ended up just learning the game that way I guess. All combat is completely hyper-kinetic with Noctis constantly warp-striking to gain positional advantage when he's not parrying for huge damage. I'm glad Wait mode exists and folks are getting use out if it, and it may even be optimal, but I never found myself wanting to use it.

edit: I may have missed something, but was Jared one of Reggie's running buddies?

I think he was Gladio's family's butler.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Yep! Thankfully it's pretty easy to just run past encounters if you don't feel like fighting again.

I don't think so. I left Costlemark Tower because the blocks had glitched and weren't letting me move them and when I came back I just had to sprint through.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

air- posted:

drat that sucks! He should be to the right of the diner. When you walk up to him, it puts you back in the diner and all the NPC's who gave you items will then give you Oracle Ascension Coins (so up to 14)

Is it worth doing the post game dungeons to get Ezma there before fighting Adamantoise? That fight and Gladio's survival skill are the only trophies for platinum and it'd be nice to get it dusted off.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They could have done that but it would have massively increased the QA time because now they'd have to check every possible place the car can land to make sure it doesn't make the game explode or cause horrifying glitches. The method they chose basically is the simplest way to work it out because they limit where it can land without crashing and game overing

Surely the answer to this is to not include a half arsed flying car to disappoint people? I definitely wouldn't have been upset without it. I've used it literally once to get the trophy to pop.

air- posted:

I believe you just have to have talked to the NPC to get them in the diner. I don't have Steyliff and Costlemark menace versions done and I got all 14.

That makes sense, first time I went there, Sania was there and I still don't have the griffon feather.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nina posted:

Honestly I have to agree. The narrative would feel much more natural if it allowed itself to have few chapters of the characters not being driven by an off-screen cataclysm

If it was more of a packed downward spiral of "gotta save my dad, oh poo poo he's dead gotta at least save Luna, oh poo poo she's dead too, everything's terrible but let's at least try to get the crystal back" it would've packed more of a punch.

It would be fairly simple to have had Ardyn warn Noctis of the impending invasion when you first meet him at Galdin, then have you actually enter Insomnia to try and warn your dad but get there too late. It would totally fit with Ardyn's character to do so, but then again Ardyn's character is one of the highlights of the game and him being an inscrutable, affable weirdo in the first few encounters is a big part of building that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was so loving hyped when I saw Diamond Weapon too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Well this is the only game I've beaten where you spend the night in the same RV as the boss of the game.

Edit: Ardyn says that you'll never figure out the origin of the name Izunia. Any tips? Is this discoverable in the postgame?

I'm pretty sure it's the original surname of Noctis's family who usurped the throne of Insomnia from Ardyn when the gods got pissed that he was using his power to cure people turning into daemons instead of killing them but I may be way off.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bushiz posted:

The way it read to me in the cutscene was that izunia was ardyn's brother or other close relation(who usurped him) but yeah it's basically the same idea

He did say something about the king who usurped him not being ready, so I guess it would make sense for them to be the same family, which would make Ardyn a relation of Noct. I was holding out hope up until the end that Ardyn would end up being the "true king" and everything would work out.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think the director was just way too attached to his "road trip with the bros" thing to actually let it be detracted by a little thing like your home city being invaded and your dad killed.

Road trip with the bros is the standout aspect of the game though. Like if you took it out and made this a generic Final Fantasy where you walk and then ride chocobos, it'd be really lame.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Was there a good reason for the whole open world thing being necessary, other than that it is the in thing these days, despite the fact that pretty much every game series that went from linear narrative to open world has suffered from it.

The reaction to FFXIII

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

There's a massive gulf between nebulous open space with occasional snippets of story and a literal 30 hour corridor.

Yep, and FFXIII was a reaction to the reaction to FFXII so it really seems that Square are unable to deal with criticism without going as far in the other direction as possible.

Andrast posted:

The whole game should have been better if it was just a road trip with the bros with no end of the world plot inserted.

Just have the game be a personal story of Noctis needing to take responsibility to be a king and coming to grips with his political arranged marriage or something.

I was thinking about how they could do this and give the game a purpose. They could have had the road trip being collecting all the summons with some justification about how Kings of Insomnia need the blessing of the gods? Then added more heart-to-hearts between Noct and the others about his feelings about becoming king and stuff like that.

They could even have done the same plot at the end by having Noctis needing to go to Altissia to marry Lunafreya come in Chapter 9 or so and then have all the events of chapters 1 and 9-15 happen then.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

bewilderment posted:

The open world parts of Dragon Age Inquisition are basically the worst parts of it. The opening Hinterlands area was an attempt to capture the 'Skyrim' market but it's just big and big dull and full of bears with too much HP. It feels like it bears a lot of similarities to FFXV in some ways, although it's more polished overall in that the story is mostly coherent.

I don't think the problem with Dragon Age or FFXV was the open world. It was that the side quests were mostly pointless busy work that added very little beyond padding out the length. Not every game can be The Witcher 3 with regards to interesting, unique side quests, but that should be what everyone aims for and I'd take a few well thought out side quests over a bunch of fetch quests any day. The biggest possible improvement to the games' sidequests would be to allow you to take on multiple hunts at once though.

Steve2911 posted:

MGSV. Going open world killed it dead.

MGSV was easily the most fun Metal Gear game not named Revengeance. It's actually really comparable to FFXV imo. An interesting game that shook up core gameplay mechanics and was more fun in a lot of ways but with a bizarre story where a good idea is told in a weird sparse way and major characters whom you're supposed to care about barely show up mainly because of the director run out of time. Having to redo the hospital level in MGSV is that game's equivalent to Chapter 13.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 13, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

The side activities in an open world being pointless busy work is the hallmark of open world games not named The Witcher. They always end up with tons of boring empty area and lots of pointless side activities that don't actually add anything to the game other than allowing you to pad the amount of hours you play.

I actually rather prefer Peace Walker to 5 because for all of its absolute batshitness it still has a cohesive story that has a beginning, middle, and end, and it still has most of the gameplay improvements that made 5 so much fun to play. They sacrificed a cohesive story for the open world, something that seems to be a pretty common thing when a game series tries to cram itself into open world gameplay.

Peace Walker is one of my favourite games and all but the gameplay improvement that made 5 so much fun to play was the ability to call in a gunship blasting Take On Me to mow down all your enemies.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

When does the Vesperpool area get unlocked? I have several quests locked in there.

Chapter 7

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was having trouble beating the Malbodoom, until I realised I could just stand on a rock and cast Blizzaga then smack it around while the Vesperpool was frozen solid. If only I could have ordered my bros to do the same, it would have gone a lot quicker...

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A good review which is pretty much where I stand on the game. The only other comment I'd add is the massive gulf between the five main characters and pretty much every other character in the game. I probably cared about the bros more than any other Final Fantasy character ever and Ardyn was one of the better villains but Jesus loving Christ the rest of the cast were almost comically pointless. Who the hell was Loqi and why did he get a name? Why was everyone so excited about running errand for Talcott? Who is the guy with glasses at Cape Caem who snuck his way into my group photo? Why did I risk my life attacking an imperial base to avenge some old guy?

Aranea, Biggs and Wedge were pretty cool though and I would have liked to see more of them. Hopefully we get some DLC set in the World of Ruin where we get to spend more time with them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is Type-0 worth playing? I've already been spoiled that everyone dies.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It depends. It's a port of a PSP game and it feels like it. The plot is pretty ugly and requires you play through the game twice to really get it, and it's way more on the metaphysical bullshit side of things. (i.e: it's more FF13 than FFXV, including and up to having l'cie.)

Hm, would you say it's worth £10 and am I likely to finish it before Christmas? (It took me two weeks to finish FFXV).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm honestly kind of upset that FF15 ends the way it does. I mean. It's not a bad ending. It's beautiful and absolutely gutwrenching. Like a sucker punch straight in the feelings. But at the at the same time, why? Of all the Final Fantasies where it feels like you should have been able to figure out some fantasy bullshit over the course of your journey to escape a tragic sacrifice it's this one. The goofy as all hell "Road trip with your trip with your dumbass buddies where you take stupid pictures and fish and eat shitloads of food that's so exquisitely goddamn rendered that jesus christ Square how much of the budget did you spend on this?" adventure. It feels kinda like a bait and switch almost and I'm not really sure I like it.

That goofiness is part of the reason it works.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bill NYSE posted:

Keep sending your goonfleets to strike me down it only helps me display my ultimate power.
http://i.imgur.com/VNWMH8i.gifv
Mwahahaha!

My initial thought was that the chocobo was wiping them out with its charge attack, now I'm disappointed that's not the case.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I couldn't make it all the way through 9. Something just seemed off about the whole game, like someone used the wrong spice in a dish. Made it to the swamp where that chef thing was and decided that was enough.

I think 9 is easily my favourite Final Fantasy, so I'd recommend giving it another shot. The more I think about it, the more I think 15 is up there too despite its flaws. If the Christmas DLC is good, and has more great banter, that might solidify it for me. I love cheesy holiday based content. Especially when it's in fantasy settings where it doesn't make any sense and they have some cheesy not-Christmas holiday in universe. It'd be pretty hard to beat the birthday "mission" in MGSV for me though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

When the NPCs in Altissia mentioned a carnival, I was expecting something more like Carnivale to go with the literally Venice theme of the place, not that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

So wait, only Noctis get a new costume? That doesn't quite seem fair.

Unless the other Chocobros get costumes from their DLC episodes.

Maybe only Noctis goes to the carnival? It'd look ridiculous to have Noctis going all out for the carnival and the other three just moping around in black. Ignis and Gladio I'd buy not getting into the carnival spirit but Prompto? There's no way Prompto wouldn't be hyped for the moogle chocobo carnival.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

That's what I thought. :sigh: Thanks anyway.

This game really needs a patch to put the question mark map marker on available hunts. Also to let you take on multiple hunts at once. Or maybe put that smartphone Noct has to good use and add a hunters' website where you can accept and turn in hunts on your phone.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bioblaster is the best, you can poison most enemies and it drains their health really quickly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I did the first two menace dungeons and got Gladio's survival skill to level 10 for my platinum then stopped. They're so boring.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Galvanades and their ilk are some of the hardest fights in the game and it's bizarre that random mobs are harder than most of the games' bosses. Like they gave me far more trouble than the Jabberwock did.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

No not really. The only 3 paid placement sponsors are Amex, Coleman, and Cup Noodles.

There's a Vivienne Westwood shop in Altissia.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

atholbrose posted:

C'mon, y'all, egg was clearly the right answer on the ingredient that should be added to a Cup Noodle. Why do I feel like I'm the only person anywhere who chose egg?

Is there a different mission for this?

Also has anyone uploaded any videos of conversations where they choose all the dickhead options for Noct like telling Prompto he's useless on the hotel roof?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RatHat posted:

Tonberries are such goofy enemies.

I found that dodge/counter took them down pretty painlessly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there any way to make it rain? I need to kill this frog but it's not raining and he's not showing up.

There's a campsite nearby, just keep camping until it's raining.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The hunts in general seem pretty useless other than as a source of money. I didn't really bother with them after they started getting repetitive unless I needed some extra gil. There's not even cool high rank hunts like Gilgamesh in FFXII that aren't just bosses you face on other quests anyway.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Seems that way, yeah.

On a related note, I just landed a Mighty Barramundi and holy poo poo, what an absolute bastard of a fish. Even with the top-tier equipment and a fully-powered Dragon's Beard, I landed it with literally 2 HP left on my line.

I actually really enjoyed fishing in this game and catching big bastard fish was a better challenge than most fights. Gladio and Ignis yelling at me like I'm a stupid baby and not a level 10 fishing master got grating though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can someone give me fishing tips? Reeling them in is easy enough but I can never seem to entice the fish to bite in the first place so i's a lot of casting and no seeing the red bar at all, or the red bar goes away in a instant.

Experiment with different lures.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

What's the difference between the plus and non plus holiday packs

Plus has a chocobo moogle carnival in Altissia.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

actually both of them have the carnival

Oh in that case it just looks like it's festive clothes for the carnival, photo frames for Prompto's photos and a few extra accessories.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Fran was even less of a character than Vaan and Penelo. She had her 5 minutes in the woods and that's it. I can't remember what Balthier did besides no gently caress you dad.

* claimed to be the leading man
* had a British accent
* was the default gun user despite his little animations making him the worst loving gunner.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Why are they even necessary when there's the option to fast travel out of the dungeon from the map screen?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kin posted:

So, in regards to leveling up and getting stronger. What's the most important thing? Experience to actually level up or ap for all of the abilities and whatnot?

I keep finding it difficult to fight groups of enemies because its hard to see the telegraphs for all of the attacks to dodge then, so I figure leveling up would give me higher hp at least.

AP is more important. The best way to raise your HP is by equipping accessories, which you get more slots for by buying them with AP, and eating food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Why are you all coming up with strategies to gain as many levels as possible as if it isn't comically easy to get overlevelled in this game?

• Locked thread