Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

VibrantPareidolia posted:

If we get to control the camera, there better be a selfie mode

loving yes. Wind Waker was improved a million times by selfies and it was an amazing game to start with. If XV has Prompto selfies that I can actually upload places I will lose my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Okay, I'm done. Almost a hundred hours to the minute, I've got my Platinum, I'm out.

First, on the current conversation: I never noticed the friendship bracelet doing anything because I almost never got Link Strikes or Blindside Links at all. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm parrying, I'm blindsiding, but nobody joins in ever.

Right, now onto thoughts, obviously spoilers:

- My main gripe with the game is that Ardyn's Magitek Nightmare Factory lasts too drat long. I was so bored waiting for that part to end. It stopped being tense and foreboding and started being annoying around about the time you get the sword.

- Hunts are more distracting than they have any right to be, and the joy of finding random dungeons was amazing. I was level 99 by the point of no return.

- The plot kind of fell apart towards the end in my opinion. Ardyn's entire character is explained in one line from him and a paragraph from Bahamut. It's never really clarified what Prompto "being an MT" means. I figured it out, but it's not spelled out well.

- The final boss was a complete anticlimax. I sat there waiting for a One Winged Angel moment and it never happened. The bros got suckerpunched and lay on the floor for the finale of a game about brotherhood and friendship. How thematic. Ardyn barely ever puts his freaky face on.

- I liked the characters a lot, their back and forth was great for breaking up dungeons and stuff.

- Best character, for me, was Aranea Highwind. The little sequence you get for repeatedly warp-chasing her in maidair when fighting her was awesome. Nice to see someone leave the obviously-evil empire and not get a sword to the gut for it. Would've liked to see what happened to her in the World of Ruin.

- I want a prequel with young Reggie and his gang.

- World could've gone into the lore of the Six a bit more.

- The Umbra Time Travel Wolf thing didn't sit well with me. I would've preferred a short return to the open world post-Altissia to go tackle Costlemarch and things at a more appropriate level if not sidequest grinding, have world characters react to Ignis' blindness and Luna's death, maybe visit post-Leviathan Altissia, and flesh out the "nights are getting longer" thing -- though I did notice evening coming progressively earlier before it was mentioned in the plot, so well done there.

- The optional level 99 superboss hunt was worth it purely for Ignis' line afterward.

- The flying car and a bunch of other stuff being locked to the time travel memory world postgame was dumb. I can't believe I'm saying this but they should've done a XIII and let it all be accessible before OR after the ending.

Overall I enjoyed a solid 96 of my 100 hours with the game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Heavy Metal posted:

Are the items you use in elemancy to boost EXP (coins etc) not stuff you need to save for later? I remember reporter guy mentioning something about a later character liking coins or something, I'm often a hoarder of all these thingies.

Different coins. The ones you need to save are the Oracle Ascension Coins. Though, also horde the other ones for later to level up from 60 to 99 in a single shot, like I did.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Megasabin posted:

What did you use the exp magic on to do that lol?

You can use it on anything, it gives exp per cast, nothing to do with the target. For convenience I used the Behemoth hunt, and ate food with a 100% Exp Bonus, wore the moogle accessory that boosts exp, then popped off about 20-30 Level 99 Expericast Firas over the course of like four Behemoths. 1 million+ raw exp, which was then tripled in the royal suite at the Leville.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

justwright posted:

Do you lose access to Altissia after the summit?

Nope.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wow the final training trial at Camp can go gently caress itself, even at level 99.

IGNIS YOU DICK STOP HEALING EVERYONE FOR 25K AND YOURSELF FOR 10K EVERY FIVE SECONDS

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You went outside the encounter area. It's the red circle in the minimap. During the course of your battle and combos and what not, you ventured outside of it. It happens. The technique stuff not firing off I haven't encountered yet.

The encounter circle is also a sphere and you'll leave it if you keep warp-chasing birds upwards. It will reset your tech bar every time. Quite annoying.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ImpAtom posted:

Prompto will most likely die at some point applies to everything from "walking down the street" to "taking a nap."

I gave him an accessory that gives +10,000 HP for this exact reason.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The only two things I want are:

Reggie, Cid & Co's prequel adventure funtimes DLC

and

Daemon Slayer Iris, Mercenary Dragoon Aranea and Battle Mechanic Cindy's World of Ruin super murder roadtrip where they get a different one of the remaining boys for their 4th member in each area. Ignis in Leide, Prompto in Duscae, and Gladio in Cleigne.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can also have a bit where you duck into a wall to stealth from a soldier and he walks past you, then grabs you out of the spot. Kinda unnerving from that perspective.

Perfectly avoidable if you refuse to use the gimmick and just Holy the fuckers to death because gently caress stealth sections.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Couple quick spoiler questions that I'd forgotten the answers to:

Does the coin Ardyn gives you at Galdin Quay come up again at any point? I'd filed it away as Plot Important but I couldn't think of any time where it appears again.

Does earning the mayor's respect at Altissa do anything? I earned it but I couldn't see how it affected any scenes.

No to both.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Got into an argument with a friend- he keeps insisting that Final Fantasy XV's aesthetic and locales place it in the urban fantasy category, but I heartily disagree- in fact, I wouldn't say this is much of a strictly fantasy game at all because there isn't anything fully supernatural; everything in this game works entirely within the physical reality of its world (daemons are just heavily mutated people, the 'eternal night' is caused by fully explained chemical changes to the atmosphere, 'magic' just seems to be a heavily converted and weaponized form of raw elemental and mineral energies, etc) where- despite it being very different to OUR physical reality, everything seen in the game can be boiled down to a realistic, practical process. I guess a good comparison to make would be the Star Wars universe, where no actual form of supernatural power or magic exists, although chemical processes caused by scientifically explainable factors (Midichlorians, etc.) can cause phenomena which seems supernatural at first glance.

I would say that this aspect marks FFXV as a Nowpunk (totally fictional world revolving around contemporary technology) game. Not quite a hard Nowpunk game like GTA or Saints Row 1, but in a more whimsical style a'la Rerto City Rampage (Saints Row 3 & 4 are urban fantasy and light sci-fi, respectively)

Ugh, I know how that feels, it's like when people keep calling my favourite band "rock music" when it's actually neoclassic industrial post-wavecore.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

guts and bolts posted:

No idea whether or not Armiger damage/efficacy scales off of how many Royal Arms you have, but it would seem to. I feel ridiculously powerful when I activate it.

Titan is absolutely awe-inspiring when you actually summon him. I've heard complaints about the summoning system in this game; I love it. They don't seem to show up at all unless you're struggling - really struggling - and that fits with their ineffable, mythical status. The summons in FF8 are slaves that do whatever you want whenever you want. The summons in FF15 are gods, and they're not coming over to kill some Voretooths, so don't even bother asking. If the Lucian heir is about to die, fine, I guess I could go deal with that, someone hold my glasses while I Judgment Bolt this griffon or whatever

It's dope.

Armiger chain definitely gets better with more weapons. I think each weapon gets a hit or so.

The summons, in their ineffable way, sometimes do deign to help out on something 40 levels below you. It's bizarre. Meanwhile, I didn't get a single summon prompt for any of the enemies that break the level cap despite going through 50 elixirs fighting them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, just run past all the enemies. That section is basically set up to encourage that.

I killed the daemonwall because I assumed it was going to follow and annoy me all the way through the canyon to the motel area and wanted to have a nice leisurely stroll instead.

Sigh.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MMD3 posted:

Luna doesn't really die for any reason other than that Ardyn wants to make you suffer I suppose? but it's sort of the first indication we have that he's trying to actively gently caress with you

Apparently she was the only thing holding back the lengthening of the nights?

Legs Benedict posted:

The what now

Might be referring to Flare, Freeze and... I think Electron, which can all break the damage limit but require hard to find items to use in Elemancy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SectumSempra posted:

holy poo poo one impotant question i forgot

what the gently caress are those doors near tombs occasionally that you need keys too? they look like vaults. I fully expected them to be revisited

Postgame. Finish all the dungeons except Piritoss, and you'll get the key.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. If everything scales to your level, what's the point of the leveling your character up?

What if only the main story scaled? So you never feel like an invincible god knocking aside flies in gameplay but a wimpass kid getting clowned on in the big story cutscenes.

It would've gone some way to prevent me from yawning my way through the last three chapters.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

air- posted:

What is the correct way to do the cube puzzle in Costlemark? Getting ready to tackle the last sealed door and even though I'm geared up to fight all the poo poo if I mess up, I hate that it takes up too much time so I lose out on my food buff.

South west cube, head west at the "crossroads" down there. As far as I remember anyway.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SectumSempra posted:

Shiva has her consciousness divided between multiple things, thats why during her summon there are like 6
Titan was trying to test your power before giving it to you, the empire jerks just also decided lets attack him

The summons can die, and leave a corpse, but they are perfectly capable of "reawakening" on their own as Shiva/Gentiana did, or being reawoken by the Oracle. Dying isn't the end for the gods, it's just like a time out. Killing Titan after you got the blessing was pointless for the Empire, because now you can incarnate him whenever you need. Same with Leviathan. That's why they tried to kill them before you made the pact, because then Luna would have to do her bit over again.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ImpAtom posted:

Except the game specifically says that the gods dying was having an impact on the environment and Gladio treated it like a significant issue, not a time out.

If you're talking about Shiva, it's not the fact that she died, it's her corpse still hanging around that wrecks the desert and turns it into a tundra. Apparently without the spirit to pilot it all that power just leaks out all over everywhere.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Yodzilla posted:

Boy is that Catoblepas brisket mission everything wrong and dumb about quests in this game. I get it and think hey, I know where Catoblepas are! So i go there but the two are in the water and I can't target them from shore. So I get a chocobo and swim out and nope, can't aggro them! Well I know from promo video that there's a way to fight one on land so I think maybe I have to lure it out of the water or maybe it's a time of day thing. I try showing up in the day and night and by blowing that worthless monster summoning whistle all over and...NOTHING!

So I look up how to fight one of those fuckers and the goddamn solution is to go to some other diner and accept a high level hunt for one and once you do that a third one spawns near the other two. Game design!!

To be fair the mission objective marker does point you to that diner.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nina posted:

Honestly I have to agree. The narrative would feel much more natural if it allowed itself to have few chapters of the characters not being driven by an off-screen cataclysm

If it was more of a packed downward spiral of "gotta save my dad, oh poo poo he's dead gotta at least save Luna, oh poo poo she's dead too, everything's terrible but let's at least try to get the crystal back" it would've packed more of a punch.

Going back to this a sec, what I would've really wanted to see at the conclusion of Chapter 1 was a frantic drive from Galdin back to Insomnia with increasingly panicked radio reports detailing the ongoing invasion that suddenly cut out a short distance before the gate. Of course that would require the car to go faster than a paper bag blowing in the breeze, and would really have to be punctuated by dropships and temporary barricades to break up the monotony. Might be a good way to introduce the dropships instead of them just randomly happening after a certain point.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Liver Disaster posted:

Maybe Prompto was the prototype being worked on before everyone involved got murdered by the combat type MTs.

It's explained that since they started using daemons to produce MTs, they needed a source of more humans to turn into daemons, so they resorted to cloning. That's what Prompto is. He's a clone that escaped daemon-isation somehow and grew up like a normal boy. He still has the imprint all the cloned-to-become-MTs humans have, but he didn't actually become one.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oxxidation posted:

The best thing is they're both true.

For a certain value of best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lord Ephraim posted:

Took the wrong block elevator? I hope you like fighting 3 Red Giants. :shepicide:

I can't imagine doing the tower at the recommened level. I did it at 71 and still found it annoying.

I did it at 57 and ended up in the Red Giant room four times. I only got a summon once. The rest of it was running away long enough to get another Quintcast III off.

• Locked thread