Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If only they could come up with some sort of renewable resource system that limited how many times (or at least how rapidly) you could use magic during battles, without making it feel like a consumable item

Some kind of points for magic

Schwartzcough posted:

The "?" panel at the end of the town area gave you like 5 of every consumable you had found, and it wasn't hard to reset it. I don't know if that's what the actual game will be like, but having a relatively easy way to refill your cast uses would make actually using those abilities more appealing.

I'm only a little ashamed to admit I reset that and used Meteorain over and over to wipe the enemies to see if something happened when you hit 500 "XP"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you pick the wrong one three times in a row you get a Genji Glove.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

There are no bad reviews. No great ones either (from reputable sources.)

That kinda sounds like the mainstream critical reception of 12 and 13?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So they're exactly like US Amazon and Metacritic user reviews?

I just looked at the Metacritic user reviews for kicks and there's literally one review that isn't either 10 or 0

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lucid Dream posted:

This is such a bizarre game. It feels so polished in some ways and yet totally rushed out the door in others. The story feels kinda disjointed with odd gaps (2 days later...) and character motivations that are just strange. It feels like there was a lot of game left on the cutting room floor or something. The combat is equally bewildering, because it can be super fun at times and super awkward and clumsy at others, mostly depending on how many things I'm fighting at once, and the difficulty is kinda all over the place to the point where it feels like I'm breezing through some parts and then chugging potions to barely survive other parts. The whole package is compelling enough that I'm definitely going to see it through to the end, but it feels like it needed more time in the oven.

The MGS5 of Final Fantasies

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You want decent buffs? You gotta get ingredients (or the Road Trip DLC Gourmand Set for the Crispy Cheese Pizza for 100+ Attack, unlimited stamina and poison immunity for no ingredients).

is this actually true because if so loving yuck

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was about to make a post about how motherfucking annoying the Imperial dropships become when they start to intrude on literally every single wilderness encounter, and as I did one spawned as I was getting out of my car and now my game is frozen, which is the second time my game has crashed because of one lmao

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Your car can be damaged but I legitimately don't know how it would happen unless you intentionally try to crash into poo poo.

I actually got sideswiped by another car when Ignis was driving once. I've seen it one time in 20 hours.

That leads me to think it may have just been a bug, which there are a lot of; one of the things they got from the move to open-world was open-world jank, and it's both funny and frustrating at times. Remarkably solid, all things considered, tho.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

and corporate culture being poo poo doesn't really affect whether or not a good story can be told in mass media.

it has a lot more to do with the quality of mass media products than the quality of art, tbqh

art can be good or poo poo either way, only the *content* will be informed by the people who produce it and the context in which its produced; mass media stuff can absolutely be affected for good or ill by the material conditions of people "just doing their job"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody have insight on how to spend AP? I'm about halfway through the game and have all the cheap obvious poo poo like the first passive skills and a couple techniques for each character, the basic upgrades to blindside and warp strike damage, second accessories for everybody, etc. Now it feels like AP is coming at the same speed but everything that looks interesting costs like 60, 99, or 300 points.

Is Ignis's Regenerate "heal" good? Are the level-based stat boosts actually mechanically substantive?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TopHatGenius posted:

That cook is a stingy rear end in a top hat who gives me a few veggies for risking life and limb.

The economy in this game is really funny if you think about it. You can fill up a tank on 10 gil or buy a magic sword for 600, then pay 8000 for a meal from a diner.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Saigyouji posted:

Doma is originally from FFVI, but the XIV version is a direct reference to it anyway.

Yeah, it seems to be the name for countries that stand-in for Japan.

Which food items in XV reference Doma? It'd be kind of cool if they were Asian cuisine.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That naga boss in the sewer dungeon is a royal motherfucker

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a trophy or something for eating that 300k dinner? Obviously the bonus is good, but 300k is also like... hours and hours of farming (or I guess an hour at the 10k Justice Monsters machine if you have it down to an art).

I kind of got the impression it was a gag item, so it made me wonder if there's some kind of weird reward for actually buying it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I get that 8-15 relationship, but not 10 really.

10 felt like a very original game at the time, and now feels like the antecedent to FF13.

Structurally and mechanically I'd say 15 is most similar to 12, though.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 6, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF12 is the mythical past alluded to by a bunch of the lore in FFT

e;fb ^^ yeah that

In fact thinking about it it's probably also a deliberate reference to the historical theory of a European Dark Age, since FFT has the most Catholic take on oppressive religion

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 6, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Alexander being absent is a little odd now that I think about it considering how frigging popular Alexander is with S-E.

He's also a pretty regal dude. Usually Alexander or Odin is the summon associated with kings and nobility, and neither of them is in this game where the main character is a king.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FFX was also weird because it made water a primary element, revolved around aquatic settings, and didn't include Leviathan

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dude what the gently caress is with Chapter 13?

This game is like the opposite of FF13. That one put its worst foot forward and was nothing but corridors and handheld encounters until the final third. This one owns until Leviathan and then goes completely to poo poo.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The basic plot of the game is actually one of the simplest since at least the 16-bit games: you're a prince who leaves home, your home is attacked almost immediately (which your dad saw coming which is why he did it), then you hook up with other survivors and go around hunting the implements of your revenge (royal arms, the blessings of the gods, and the crystal).

A lot of the fine points are ill-explained and the last third of the game feels incredibly rushed, and the relationship between the game and the cutscenes is slapped together and badly edited just like 13 was (because of their stupid dev process prolly), but it never seemed confusing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: The Empire and Titan - it's important to the plot that the Empire is actually very factional; it should already be clear that Ardyn has his own agenda, which he obviously needs to conceal from the Emperor.

The fine points of that scheming are one of the places the game fudges it and can actually be a little confusing, but generally speaking it explains a lot of the seeming incongruity of their behavior. Basically, there are ranking people in Niflheim who are discretely trying to help Noctis along for personal reasons without being obvious about it to the greater world.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 7, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

This is probably the first Final Fantasy that doesn't feel horribly Japan with craziness. Maybe it's grounded?

Other than bits of the 13 trilogy, I'm not sure what you actually mean by this. 1-6 were straight fantasy games with some sci-fi/technology bits about simple themes like good VS evil, redemption, and friendship.

8 is probably the craziest game in the franchise that isn't 13-2 or Lightning Returns.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Couple quick spoiler questions that I'd forgotten the answers to:

Does earning the mayor's respect at Altissa do anything? I earned it but I couldn't see how it affected any scenes.

I think you get more oracle ascension coins for doing better in the negotiation, something like 0-5.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Perfectly avoidable if you refuse to use the gimmick and just Holy the fuckers to death because gently caress stealth sections.

A tip if you do this: Noctis's Magic seems to affect the damage of Holy like any other spell, so throw on two of your best +Mag accessories. Makes it quicker.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 8, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

El Hefe posted:

For real though, Personas have good story but really bad gameplay.

Persona 3 and 4 are actually really well-made turn-based RPGs that hit a sweet spot of difficulty between the assfucking nonsense of some of the other SMT games and the FF6 thing where you can just sort of spam your most powerful commands without regard for anything like buffs, status conditions, etc.

I know other people have said that but it should be reiterated. The only reasons I can imagine someone not liking their gameplay are if they don't like turn-based games, or if they despise the VN stuff and story so much they can't tolerate it between dungeons.

And re: FF15, massively overleveling the story seems important at the end. There's enemies in the final area that are ridiculously hard, so unless you're supposed to just flee from anything I'm not sure how the gently caress you're meant to kill them at level 45 or w/e.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the bugs in this game suck. If you google Costlemark Tower or whatever you can find guides that give you a rough order of operations for the block puzzle so that you don't have to do the multiple red giant fight. Also if you don't wanna stress you can put it on Easy mode which AFAIK makes it impossible to die? You already know you can beat it without cheating.

Some of the bugs own, tho. I just got one where I was doing a quest on the far west of the map and the camera pulled out at a thousand miles an hour and panned across a bunch of untextured terrain and I assumed it was crashing, but it turns out Aranea was just airdropping in to help on the complete opposite end of the world.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah once you get to the end of the game just use allll your expericast stuff to make 1 potency spells in every slot, eat 100% xp food, and blow them all in whatever order on whatever enemies without resting. Then rest at the 3x hotel once, and if you aren't 99 you'll be high enough that you don't really ever need to worry about going out of your way explicitly to level (somebody claimed the biggest stat gains from leveling are in the 40-60 range and then they taper off hard, which appeared to be true to me).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think some of that is intentional tho. Like that part of the point of Luna dying and what happens to Ignis sort of being a blur in the background, then Gladio calling you out, is that Gladio is right; Noctis is making the same mistake the designers seem to be making, focusing on a girl he fell in love with as a little boy and hasn't seen in years, on getting revenge against the Empire, and on a whole lot of stupid poo poo that isn't the best friends who've been beside him every step of the way, support him emphatically, and treat him as a brother and a sovereign.

There are also things that undermine this to some extent, but I think it's part of the point of the game. Noctis isn't just coming to grips with his destiny, he's also realizing how lucky he is to have his buddies despite the other bad poo poo going on in his life.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Lotta self inflicted complaints here!! If things are costing too much AP, just don't spend any AP! Royal arms causing too much damage? Don't use em! Stamina gauge? Just stop sprinting! Emeny varience? Just run from every fight!

lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

The headlights quest is the last of the Cindy Regalia upgrade quests right? Aside from the postgame one. The dungeon it's in is really annoying and a bit too high level for me right now so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else.

Correct. And the miniboss and boss of Crestholm are bastards for an even or below-level party yes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Boy it's fun when the AI decides to stand there and do nothing in the Arena. Is the quality of the AI linked to level or something? Or is it just RNG?

Also lol at the max bet being 9999 but the top prize costing 3.6 million.

yeah uh welcome to a modern final fantasy postgame

it's almost impossible to lose your entire stake because of how high the odds multipliers are but you can easily go ten rounds in a row without winning one because of dumb luck and unusual matchups (the combination of ai rng and the variety of matchup permutations mean that basically all bets are off in some of the 3 and 4 for alls)

i wanted the car color kit or whatever but quit when I lost from like 320k down to 260k

Calaveron posted:

Is it feasible to screw yourself stat-wise if you don't have the Increase X stat by number of levels/5 time number of level per level up? Because I cannot believe how easy it is to gain levels in this game. Every time I take a nap I gain at least one and a half levels.

I'm almost positive those are retroactive

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ardyn has demon wizard powers. He does demon wizard stuff. It's just to establish that he's evil and more powerful than you. I dunno why people were so confused/irritated by those scenes, or how they seemed one-off.

Like FF7 never bothers to explain why the Sephiroth clones can fly around and iirc FF4 never specifies how or revisits the fact that Golbez can survive as a severed hand.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be really easy to fix the flying in this game though, just make it faster and guide you safely into a landing any time you hit a button over a road/landing spot rather than forcing you to play a flight simulator minigame with instant game over for your first mistake.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Prompto demon thing is hands down the worst plot point in the entire game imo, as somebody who's defended basically everything else people complain about with this game's story except how edited down and rushed the execution is

I considered the possibility that Ardyn lied to him to brainwash him, giving him the ability to open the doors because he wanted Noctis to reach the crystal anyway, but why would you do that instead of just having the elevator mysteriously work and a throwaway "weird, why is this unlocked"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

So was that supposed to be Noct and Luna able to be together in the afterlife or an alternate timeline or what? I didn't really get that part.

I interpreted it as the afterlife, yeah. The exact nature of that afterlife - whether it's a god-ruled heaven or the inside of the crystal or whatever - doesn't really matter. To save the world and beat the Empire Noctis has to dissolve the monarchy, so it's necessary for the line of Lucis to end, which makes him a heroic martyr. Afterlifes exist to convince us that there's justice for people like that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

Spergy story questions in general about the overarching plot:

Re point 2: Ardyn was corrupted by absorbing all the demons, as you note. It's unclear whether this actually affected his behavior and personality - which is possible, he's kind of a mean prick - or whether he was unfairly snubbed. He's rational to want revenge for what was done to him, but he ends up subjecting people to countless horrors by doing things like equipping the Empire with MT and teaching them how to manufacture demons. We really have no way of knowing if what the gods did was just or cruel, because he's our only source on it, but we definitely know that he's done heinous things to innocent people in pursuit of his revenge against the gods and line of Lucis.

Re point 5: In a roundabout way yes, Ardyn "wins" at the end. He gets what he wants, which is the end of the line of Lucis, and Noctis then lays him to rest. He likely won't be vindicated by history, which will be about how brave king Noctis sacrificed himself to defeat the demon lord Ardyn, though, and it seems like Noctis utterly obliterated his soul. So it's kind of a mixed bag for him, and it's still a happy ending for us because the world is restored, people will be able to rebuild without the demons, and Noctis gets to enjoy the afterlife with his girl. Like Kefka, though, Ardyn is an FF villain who's largely successful.

Re other stuff: Noctis is some sort of special Chosen, so maybe he had to wait for that person. Point 1 feels like something we just never get an explanation for because the story was chopped up, and Point 4 seems like a gameplay/thematic contrivance without any particular story explanation.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, honestly who knows what "more mafia-like" meant. The furthest that thought got might have been "the kings of Lucis wear tailored suits instead of armor and cloaks".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I can't decide if Pitioss Dungeon is the best or worst thing in the game.

EDIT: it's hosed up. Like I love the concept of what they're doing here and there's some genuinely cool abuses of the game engine that don't show up anywhere else, but Noctis's little rolls and turning shuffles are your enemy and it's frustratingly easy to lose 5-10 minutes of progress to one mistake past a point.

Baku fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 15, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They should give me a free voucher for that for beating this thing

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This is liable to be my first PS4 plat, but fishing 10......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sefal posted:

There's very little reason to switch to easy though. Game is fine on normal

I turned on easy in the 100 floor dungeon because it makes encounters faster and I was exhausted

I like how there's at least two (possibly more) dungeons in the postgame that are the dungeon version of Yiazmat

• Locked thread