Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Angepain posted:

"a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim" is such a lovely way of putting "it'll gently caress you over but we don't care", I'm going to have to steal it for my own day-to-day usage

It's language straight out of the 2010 Equalities Act (and I think the various prior anti discrimination acts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/british-government-invest-billions-solving-housing-crisis-1966

HOUSING 1 hour ago
British government “to invest billions” in solving the housing crisis
By Jonn Elledge

So, this is unexpected: the British government just announced plans to spend billions of public money on the largest British housebuilding problem since the 1930s. Apparently, according to George Osborne, there must be “no barrier” to ending the housing crisis within 10 years. Huh.

The plan will see involve a radical package of measures, intended to double the rate at which Britain is building houses. These include further planning reform; changes to land use restrictions such as the green belt, in order to free up more land for development; and stronger compulsory purchase rules.

On top of that, ministers are planning a major state building programme. In a press release published on the communities department website over night, housing minister Brandon Lewis was quoted as saying that, “if the house building industry will not step up to the plate, then the government must.”

The same release quoted Osborne as follows: “For too long, politicians of all parties have prioritised the needs of elderly homeowners over those of their children. But there must be no barrier – financial or political – to building the homes Britain needs.”

The proposals are understood to have been triggered by concern within the Conservative party that high housing costs were a drain on the economy, and that falling home ownership rate would imperil the party's future electoral prospects. They were originally intended to be included in last month's Budget, but were delayed.

The plan is intended to end the housing crisis within 10 years. In order to cover the transition, tighter regulation of landlords is expected to look obviously this is total bullshit, we're just making it up. The government isn't going to do any of this stuff. Check the date. LOL! Sorry.

But imagine if it were true, eh? Imagine if the government were actually serious about fixing this mess – about using its unexpected majority, and the current weakness of the Labour party, to push through policies that'll benefit today's young people and boost the economy? Even if it costs them a few council seats in the shires. Even if it imperiled someone’s leadership ambitions. Imagine that eh?

Jesus sodding christ, I'm depressed.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

A Labour thing that isn't a massive data collection exercise? Someone's getting fired.

You missed the share to Facebook button at the end

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-ceee-PMs-mum-packs-in-Tories-to-go-Red

I am genuinely unsure if this was an april fools joke but I hope it isn't.
sorry, but it obviously is

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jabby posted:

So apparently Corbyn will be rocking Glastonbury this year.

Looks like he is speaking mainly as a representative of CND, which is sure to piss off the PLP all over again. Still, engaging with that big a crowd and the 'cool factor' of appearing at Glastonbury can't hurt. Hopefully.

Would have thought he'd be too busy that weekend. With the aftermath of the EU referendum to deal with.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think he really cares about the result either way. Which is the correct response. Spend the weekend in a field while the Tories rip themselves to shreds over it.

If we're leaving I'd rather not have the unopposed Tory right setting the terms of the exit negotiations etc
Either way it's going to be an interesting few days. He could drop into Glastonbury for a few hours to do the speech but I'm just surprised he wouldn't rather keep the calendar clear because who knows what'll turn up needing a response.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fans posted:

If "Stay" wins, which it will, there's not really any aftermath to deal with. We continue as usual.

That seems naively optimistic.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fans posted:

Not really? Expecting "Out" to win would be naively optimistic as it has seemingly everything going against it. No major party supports it, it has trouble breaking past "Stay" even in the more favorable Online polls and the betting sites have lousy odds on it.

It's not a close race, despite the press wanting to pretend it is.

Tesseraction's right. I meant the optimistic about the aftermath of a yes vote being smooth.
Probably could've written that post better. If is bothered with more than 4 words

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Standard & Poor's "likely" to lower the UK's AAA credit rating in response to a No vote.
http://www.politico.eu/article/opinion-brexit-puts-uks-aaa-rating-at-risk-says-sp-ratings-chief/

But I don't think anyone on the 3 leave campaigns will be bothered.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

That table shows more losses for Labour than the other parties gain.

Those aren't the only 4 parties

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TACD posted:

So who's projected to take the other 20? Greens? Respect? My left bollock?

That's from a presentation given today that doesn't appear to be online (yet) so we can't give you a breakdown of the 'others'.
But I don't think you actually care. It's just a way for you to be dismissive of the projection.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/05/yanis-varoufakis-why-we-must-save-the-eu

Varoufakis says vote Yes to the UK staying in the EU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Spangly A posted:

holy poo poo the Yank lords prayer says "forgive us our debts"

what is wrong with that country

What's wrong with that? Rolls off the tounge easier than trespasses.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

In lighter news

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/717680090465832961

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/717679896659681281

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I guess people are now going to fall over themselves to bring this post up like when TT posted the coconut picture?

Although given that everyone except pissflaps thought this post was unworthy of criticism perhaps there was some ulterior factor to criticising TT hmmm
bearing in mind the walls of shite posted after jfarfax's last outburst of bigotry, maybe everyone thought it was easier to not bother engaging in critical discussion? i just hit report and scrolled on.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

sharepoint is great

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

'Vote Leave' have won the official Out campaign recognition, and I'm sure the multitude of competing campaigns will take this news well.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

All my grandparents are dead. Half of them before the EU even existed. I'm feeling left out of the cake opportunity

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Metrication posted:

'EU referendum could be delayed until October as rival Brexit campaign considers legal challenge to Michael Gove's Vote Leave winning official status'
Aaron Banks would be decried as too ridiculous if he were a character invented for a Gouse of Cards type TV show.

I hope he loses the judicial review just for the next step to be the European Court of Human Rights.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

If you could all slowly walk in to the sea I think everybody else would be grateful.

Open air swimming in the sea is quite the refreshing pass time.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

By the way, if you guys want a laugh, Cathy Brennan – yes, that one – is trying to get me kicked out of the Lib Dems for calling her a fake goth.

I'm not even joking.

Why are you still in the Lib Dems?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

JFairfax posted:

I just googled her and it's ironic because she looks like a bloke

How many times have you been probated for being awful in this thread? go away

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Getting the back cleared and turfed, a new path put down and the gate rebuilt and a bit of a border put down.

You sure the weather will be ok for it?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

It's the right time of year for turfing what aspect of the weather do you think I should be concerned about?

Pissing rain

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Ddraig posted:

lmao just lmao if you don't take your lunch to work in a carrier bag.

I have a very nice leather satchel from John Lewis. I expect your plastic carrier bag isn't as durable, and will need to be replaced often.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

XMNN posted:

corbyn could have handled things better but I'd rather he handle things badly than liz kendall handling things badly

I don't think that "isn't Liz Kendall" is the great defence of Corbyn you think it is

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Because of the title of the srticle as a fine example of guardian.txt, idiot

Don't sign your posts

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, I think it's an excellent point in his favour :colbert:

It's setting the bar low. Lots of people aren't Liz Kendall

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Chocolate Teapot posted:

"Liz Kendall isn't as bad as Hitler" - cerv

I wouldn't say that. Not that it isn't true, but much like "Corbyn isn't as bad as Kendall" it's not particularly enlightening praise of the subject.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Who can, hand on their heart, truthfully say that they've never had a threeesome with a married individual? Judge not lest ye be judged.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

haakman posted:

How is what Gen China said homophobic, for the avoidance of doubt?

Clearly knew the couple were married, but called him the boyfriend anyway. Implying the marriage is not genuine.
If he didn't mean to imitate the conservative line that same-sex marriages aren't as valid as opposite sex, then that was an unfortunate fork of words to use

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

winegums posted:

Notably you've said very little about group 3, because they don't exist. The Tories have utterly failed to make a positive case for the EU. Perhaps because the benefits they see and the things they want differ so much from the wants and needs of the average human.

I love the EU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

It's pretty crass to suggest someone's suicide could be reduced to one single cause. Really it won't be that simplistic.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Who the gently caress answers the phone during sex?
Try it once. You get to play the game of "will the person on the other end of the call realise"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

Because of the wonders of the House of Lords, the Lib Dems have won a parliamentary by-election, where Viscount John Sinclair of Thurso, former MP for (and current owner of half the land in) Caithness, Sutherland, and Easter Ross, has been unanimously voted by the three hereditary Lib Dem peers to replace the deceased Lord Avebury.

Our parliamentary system is working juuuuuuuuuust fine, ladies and gentlemen.

Would've been nice if the 3 members of the electorate had taken a stand and boycotted the election. But what are principles worth?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

The returning officer would have probably had to do a coin toss.

Hereditary replacement by-elections have to happen by law, so a party boycott would just give one of the 90 hereditary slots to the Tories to choose instead.
Not sure that'd make much difference :p

But I'm fairly certain that in hereditary replacement by elections by law the only eligible candidates can be meme era of the same party as the deceased, not just a convention. So there's no mechanism by which the seat could go to the Tories.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

It's also one that nobody will ever have the opportunity to use.

True. Prime Minister is not an elected position.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

"Of course Jeremy Corbyn's not anti-fast food - he went to the British Kebab Awards"

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/course-jeremy-corbyns-not-anti-fast-food-he-went-british-kebab-awards

The headline is the only part of the article worth reading.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Teabag, milk, hot water, sugar (!), drink. Leave the teabag in.
I'm so, so sorry.

Have you considered hiring a butler to do these things for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I keep the teabag in when I add milk because I like quite strong tea & don't want to spend ages hanging around the kitchen.

The tea will continue to brew without you watching.

• Locked thread