Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

I can't wait to play a K***ht

Is the idiotic name filter back, speaking of, or can I safely put "Knight" in my name without looking like a loving maroon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

White Phosphorus posted:

This weapon arts business worries me. Does this mean I HAVE to use shields now?

No. Pressing the Weapon Skill button will use the skill of the weapon or shield in your left hand, or the skill of the weapon/shield you're two-handing. There are certain shields that let you use the Weapon Skill of the right-hand weapon without having to two-hand it, but they're not mandatory by any means.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ryen Deckard posted:

How viable is punchman options. The only thing I take pride in my life in is my ability to punch my way through all of the souls games.

The basic Caestus is good, and there are additional fist weapons in the game that are also good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eddain posted:

How many ways are there to recover FP in this game? Is there a regen ring like in Demon's Souls? Are there consumables like grass? Or are you entirely reliant on Ashen Estus?

The primary way is through Ashen Estus. There is a weapon infusion that lowers the base damage and scaling of your weapon, adds some Magic damage, and provides very slow FP recovery. There is also a ring that restores FP when doing a critical attack (ripostes/backstabs).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is Bleed back to being a percentage, or is it dependent upon some other factor like weapon/total Bleed damage?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

In general terms, are there fun utility pyromancies? DS2 had a few (warmth, flash sweat, fire weapon), but utility stuff has always mainly been Sorc. and Miracles. I've been hoping that they gave pyromancy some stuff to do that's not just damage.

There are, yes. Most of the old favorites are back from DS1 and DS2, along with a few new ones.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

m.hache posted:

So I want to build a sorta Arcane Knight. Up close sword and board with a glowy sword.

Cleric Starting class since FAITH seems to be up close style? I'm just trying to feel out how to get started.

Your best bet for an Arcane Knight sort of character is likely going with INT and using sorceries. There are several sorceries that are intended for close-range combat, as well as several weapons that serve as both a regular weapon and a staff (allowing you to cast spells with them).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

For someone who has never played a DS game, what's the best class to start as?

Herald has a good mixture of passive and active defense (you get a 100% physical block shield, which is useful against almost every enemy in the game), as well as the Heal Aid spell to give yourself a bit more HP. The Spear isn't a great weapon, but you can replace it with a fairly strong straightsword once you get to the first area in the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

But why summon a purple one for helping with enemies and invaders if you can just summon a white/gold one ?

Because you like to live a life of risk and adventure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

How the gently caress could the game only crash with certain classes

The current rumor is that it has to do with cloth physics. Try opening the door while naked and see if the same thing happens.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Herald also works since he has decent armor, a shield with 100% phys resist and a (weak) healing spell. Though the tracking on his spear is a bit wonky (mostly when using the shield-break charge).

Yeah, I'd switch that poo poo out for a Shortsword ASAP, or just wait until you get through High Walls and get the Astora Straight Sword.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pthighs posted:

Would someone be so kind as to explain the human/hollow mechanic in this game, and how it relates to invasions/co-op? I played DS1 and for some reason I can't wrap my brain around this.

"Hollow" form is the basic form that you start the game in. You cannot co-op (unless you use a certain Miracle) or be invaded in Hollow form. Consuming an Ember or successfully defeating the area boss when co-oping will put you into "Lord of Cinder" form, which has increased maximum HP, can summon players and NPCs for co-op, and can be invaded. There is also an additional Hollowing mechanic, similar to DS2's, which is obtained when certain conditions are met.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Merauder posted:

Is there a stat that best increases your Fire damage modification? I started with the Fire Gem and slapped it straight away on my Estoc and want to get the most out of my stats with it early on. Obviously am leveling up the weapon as well.

The Fire Gem infusion completely removes scaling from that weapon. There is a different infusion later on that allows INT/FTH (whichever is lower) fire damage scaling.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grem posted:

People really should take my advice about that ice knight and give him a ride on the elevator. Easiest hard fight ever.

It's always strange how different enemies are massive roadblocks for different people. I killed the Frost Knight first time after taking a total of one attack's worth of damage, but I've been absolutely murdered by those loving giganto crabs over and over and over.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: assassin is also my favorite starting class ever, fall control lets you do all sorts of stupid poo poo and take shortcuts

I've been trying out Assassin, actually, and I think this is the character I'm going through the game with. Reasonable stat spread, outrageously useful early spell (seriously, Spook is incredibly multipurpose), cool looking outfit, and one of the better weapons in the game.

(I'm also now being reminded of how useful having a bow is. Still can't find a Shortbow, but the Longbow from High Walls has served me well innumerable times.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, clear out the swamp of crabs, get invaded by two invaders in the span of 30 seconds with all my estus gone. Fun.

Did I miss the pyromancy trainer? I found a tome for pyromancy in the swamp but haven't met anyone I could actually give it too.

The Pyro Trainer is back in the Undead Settlement. Head across the first bridge you get to (where the Fat Official 2.0 and her posse are hanging out) and look for the area where there's three firebomb Hollows hanging out on top of a building. He's in a cage around back behind them on the same level.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Not a huge fan of the areas in this game so far. High Wall and Settlement were good and fun but Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep and Catacombs are both terrible. Tedious and ugly. The area after the Catacombs is nicer to look at but the enemies are a real pain to fight.

Most of the areas appear to be assuming that you're going to scumbag pull enemies one-by-one. There's simply no other explanation for the absurd level of mob density in Farron Keep. For all the griping people (myself included) did about the multiple strong enemy encounters in DS2, at least that game had Lifegems to compensate for multi-comboing groups of 3-4 dudes who take multiple hits to cleave down. This game just hurls packs of three goatmen who can take off half of your health by themselves and no outside method of healing beyond Miracles and limited Estus. The only sane option is to plink them with arrows to pull them over and kill them one-by-one as though we were back to playing Everquest.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

I'm sorry abyss watchers, you're the newest worst Souls boss. You're absolute garbage and it's a shame you're not optional.

I dunno how they hosed this up so bad. If you haven't built your character optimally by the time you get to them, get ready to co-op, because you need very solid DPS to even get past the first phase unless you are the King of Dodging. It's a worse version of DS2's Belfry Gargoyles, except you don't have the luxury of kiting them around while popping Lifegems.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

You guys know they fight each other right?

Yes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

where's the elite knight set?

It's on the person who's wearing it. Either kill them or complete their quest to obtain it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

Wow now he became totally invincible, what the gently caress :(

e: crystal sage is the most powerful boss in the game

He's an outrageously buggy boss. 2/3rds of my (successful) phantom attempts have involved him becoming completely invincible.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is from a while back, but did you have to kill Aldrich to do this? Wiki says it does but wiki could be wrong about a lot of stuff.

Yes. Her summon sign in the Undead Settlement only appeared for me after Aldrich was dead. (I checked after Pontiff and there was nothing there.)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Magic-wise, there's only three spells I'd really strongly recommend unless you're going absolutely all-in: Hidden Body, Spook, and Rapport. Hidden Body and Spook let you run around more or less risk free carving apart huge groups, and you can combine them with Aldrich's Sapphire and backstabs for cost efficiency. Rapport is ungodly broken on anything that isn't immune to it, limited only by how late you get it in the game and how much FP you're willing to pour into it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Agreed, they're up there on my list of deadliest enemies in the game

They're only really deadly if you get caught in a small enough corridor that they don't go sailing past you with their jumps. They're sort of like the Ithiryll Outriders: the best strategy is to turtle up and wait for them to hurl their bodies past yours so that you can hit their butts a few times.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I was playing through the whole game with the Greatsword, but the attacks are really slow and it's not really suited to the second phase of the fight. Died something like 20 times on Nameless King before deciding to make a +10 Dark Sword, went back and took him down on the second try. That poo poo is ridiculous.

+10 Heavy Dark Sword is legitimately one of the game's best PVE weapons and is honestly downright broken. It has 400 AR at 40 STR, which is just nuts for a weapon with the straight sword R1s.

One day they'll figure out how to actually balance weapon speed for PVE, especially on bosses, but for now I'd almost always recommend a Dark Sword for STR builds and some kind of Rapier for DEX.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Sooner or later I'm going to find who to give all these other pyromancy tomes too.

There are two characters who can train Pyromancies in this game. One of them is a prisoner. May the flames guide your way.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

She is really hard to notice because she is in a big gently caress-off room and there is no light on her whatsoever.

To be more specific (exact spoiled location ahead): she is located in a cell at the bottom level of Irithyll Dungeon at the very back of a small hallway, next to a cell with one of the Crucified Hollows in it. You need the Jailer's Key Ring to open up her cell, which can be obtained in the Profane Capital by going up the stairs next to the chapel in the poison swamp. Note that she also accepts both Dark braille tomes once you ask her about them twice, allowing you to avoid corrupting Irina-chan.

killstealing posted:

but then there's 2

Y'know how everyone complained heartily about Dark Souls 2 having lots of multiple strong enemy encounters? Well, no one listened, because the game is more-or-less impossible to complete unless you're either a massive coward who's willing to run past everything or someone with a bow who's willing to tediously pull everything one at a time to take them down.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lakbay posted:

Why is the dark sword so popular? Every other invasion/coop has a phantom with one and it's been mentioned a few times in the thread.

Because it has an absolutely obscene AR for being a straight sword-speed weapon while scaling off of only a single stat (STR). You can get to 40 STR and then dump all of the rest of your points into END/VIG/VIT to become an unbeatably tough monster truck of a human.

For a point of comparison: your basic +10 Refined Longsword, at 40 STR/40 DEX, has 428 AR. That's 28 more AR for 25~ points of DEX investment (assuming that you need 15 DEX for the Dark Sword) that could've been dumped into VIG or END instead.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 21, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I got invaded for the first time yesterday, pulled off a parry vs. his Farron Greatsword, and got absolutely 0 damage out of the riposte. Nothing else was wrong with him; he took damage like normal, had normal levels of Stamina, and I even surprised him with Hidden Body. Neat netcode!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

I feel like in their desire to make Souls speedier and more like BB, they may have failed to balance things out quite perfectly.

The issue is that they've tried to speed up the gameplay while not actually making adjustments to certain core mechanics to facilitate this. Parrying is outrageously dangerous in PVE to the point of being useless due to the inclusion of partial ripostes (where you can still get hit by an attack, even if you get a successful parry and a followup riposte). This is okay in Bloodborne because of rally, but it's dogshit in DS3 where the idea is that you're supposed to treasure each and every hitpoint. Certain enemies like the crocodogs punish heavy weapons tremendously because of their ability to chain spam ultra-deadly attacks even faster than the bullshit hammer Shrine Guardians from DS2. The incomprehensibly weird changes to the Poise system means that you're at a serious disadvantage with slow weapons, both because you cannot stunlock enemies as effectively and because you can't dodge roll out of the way in time if they decide to use a hyper armor attack.

All that this does is make the game frustratingly hard for anyone who's trying to play through the game with something other than a straight sword and a 100% physical shield. The game became about twenty times easier when I finally just bit the bullet, upgraded a Dark Sword, picked up the Stone Parma, and returned to strafe backstabbing as my strategy of choice.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheQat posted:

there's always an optimal way to play souls games, choosing to play and succeed in suboptimal ways is almost the whole point for a large % of players i think

Right, but you can still have builds that are suboptimal without also massively increasing the difficulty curve if the game is designed well. It was more challenging to use an ultra greatsword in DS2 than a two-handed Estoc with the Stone Ring, but you could still get through the game reliably due to constant Poise breaking and the pace of attacks (with a few exceptions like the aforementioned hammer guardians). Meanwhile, accidentally swinging a Zweihander when a redeye Lothric Knight decides to do their hyper armor attack in DS3 is going to leave you with a deficit of about 900 HP. It sucks and is awful.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The pro crocodog strat, as with every enemy in the game, is to pull one back with a bow, circle strafe them with a high Stability shield out, and then whack them once when they're in the recovery frames for the one attack they have that they won't immediately combo into a lightning-fast 6 frame attack after.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's actually a straight-up missing texture in Wolnir's room.

TheQat posted:

meh, ds3 is the best game on any platform in a long time for me

I'm two bosses away from the end and I think it's a decent game, overall. What rankles me is that it stumbles on so many gameplay issues that should have been sorted out over the span of time since the initial release of Demon's Souls.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 21, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. WTF posted:

Yeah except you have to watch for that crazy twist bite.

You can block that the majority of the time by lockon strafing. I've had it break through once or twice, but as long as you wait for the recovery frames to pass the point where he won't combo a second bite before attacking you should be fine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

A Luck build at this point is basically just an Anri's Straight Sword build. The thing is basically the Blueblood Sword from Demon's Souls.

It's also very similar to the Dark Sword in that it gets 400 AR fully upgraded and is buffable. The builds kind of just a novelty though, since you could just pump STR for the Dark Sword and have plenty of other options if you ever decide to change up your playstyle, while LCK is pretty much exclusively relegated to Anri's Straight Sword or hollow infusions that really don't hold a candle.

You can theoretically do a goofy gimmick Sorcery build with Anri's and the Man-Grub Staff, but you still have to raise INT to be able to use most of the actually good Sorceries. It's just kinda pointless, even as a gimmick build.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Similarly there's the Golden Ritual Spear which lets you cast FTH scaling sorceries. These are all interesting things but the stat requirements on the spells themselves kinda limits the viability of playing around with them.

That thing's got a real DS2 Sorcerer's Twinblade feeling to it, and I mean that in the derogatory sense of "no one designing this weapon understood the mechanics of the game".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm just glad to see all the Covenants work in this one and are not terribly confusing, but remain hidden away really well. This post-launch high-activity online play is great for PvP and co-op.

The covenant system's another "one step forwards, two steps back" deal. Good to see a whole Red Eye Orb back in the game after DS2, and completely flabbergasted as to why there aren't even Cracked Blue Eye Orbs in the game when paired with the lovely-rear end Way of Blue system.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It does seem that shields are even less useful than before; but heavy armor is really great at tanking. Backstabs, ripostes, if I'm armored up I can usually survive a few.

Shields are still very useful, although there are certain combos that you have to roll through unless you're carting around the Greatshield of Glory. I made it through Sulyvahn with the Dragon Crest Shield to block his left hand pokes and setup parry the overhead swing.

turtlecrunch posted:

Also is there a way to get into the Grand Archives (not Lothric Castle but the actually Archives past Armor) early or are you definitely screwed till you kill 3 cinders? I ask because I couldn't get in, came back after dead Emma spookily addressed me, her murderer, in a cutscene, and then there was a random dead guy outside with the key. But maybe you can find him before he's dead? :iiam:

The Grand Archives key will only appear after you kill Aldrich, Yhorm, and AW. You can still access Lothric Castle early, but not the Grand Archives or anything past that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a helmet that doesn't obscure your hair, and where can I find it?

The only one in the game is the Pyromancer Crown (it's a sort of headband with a small bit of antler sticking off to the side), which you can purchase from Cornyx once you free him from the Undead Settlement. Atrocious physical absorption, but it's lightweight and has some good elemental absorption on it.

Internet Friend posted:

Speaking of things carried over from Bloodborne, is there really no way to mitigate the jailer's HP drain? Frenzy sucked but at least you could carry sedatives and burn your insight.

Shoot them with a good long range bow like the Dragonrider's Bow and kill them before they get within drain rage. Irithyll Dungeon was more tedious than terrifying with those motherfuckers running around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

The only one in the game is the Pyromancer Crown (it's a sort of headband with a small bit of antler sticking off to the side), which you can purchase from Cornyx once you free him from the Undead Settlement. Atrocious physical absorption, but it's lightweight and has some good elemental absorption on it.

Actually, I lied here. There's a second one (the Dusk Crown, located next to a white tree in Farron Keep), but it's only really of interest if you're a pure Sorcerer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Slanderer posted:

I'm surprised it's still easy to get summoned for the Yhorm fight. When I was stuck on the Dancer (maybe I was underleveled?? idk), Yhorm kept me from running out of Embers (and gives like 10k souls if you are wearing that one ring), and since the fight is a dumb gimmick (especially if you target the sword at his dumb head) it made for the best farming of embers up to that point.

Dancer took me a handful of tries. The only thing that'd get me is the weird timing on her grab and her second phase sword dance before I figured out that she doesn't know how to dance through a pillar.

Mortimer posted:

Maybe if you're toptier pvp extreme duelist the boulder might be a sweet trick though.

It'd be better if you couldn't accomplish what it tries to do more easily and effectively with Rope Firebombs or, hell, just wheeling around with an Estoc and stabbing your pursuer a couple of times.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 21, 2016