Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cyberventurer posted:

Got my last 10 tongues looking like this:

And boy did I have to work for it. :shepicide: The reach on it felt nice but I've been playing with straight swords for too long, and the wind-up on it felt like I was telegraphing swings too easily for people to roll away, even for low level PVP. Trying to play without a shield and without parrying felt too punishing, though. I finally had to give up and parry my last kill because he was two-handing a bandit knife and kept unceasingly poking me while dodging all of my swings.

I wonder if infusing dark killed the bleed build-up on it, or if I just couldn't land enough consecutive hits to make it fill.

I'd just like to appreciate this because you actually tried playing without straight swords. It makes for interesting pvp. I'd rather lose to some guy with a weird axe or scimitar or halberd, than lose to r1 straight sword spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If they did a new covenant, I want one that's priority matching invasions into world's with already one invader.

Or make invasion as a sunbro work like that.

The idea would be that you priority match people that already have at least one summon phantom and one invader. So it's a gank busting/fair playing field covenant. Increased priority on worlds with more than one white/gold.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just a quick confirmation. I think if you don't go to these areas too early you won't break NPC quests by going someplace early right?

Don't kill abyss watchers/go to catacombs before finishing deacons.

Don't go to ithyrall dungeon, even for the bonfire at entrance until after maybe pontiff.

I think that's the only two times you could wander into another area that could be considered out of order for NPC stuff. (note doing dancer at any point, even before Vordt will not break any NPC quests)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Sunbros invading actually does that already I believe. The problem is that with friendly fire it'd be a horrible covenant to be in

Really? I didn't see that it priorities ones with other invaders. Never saw anyone mention that.

If this is the case then we need to change it so red sunbros can never be friendly fired on by any red phantom and they get tainted red sun medals which can be traded to a new NPC covenant. Works enough to feel like a new covenant.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

My first invasion was after Pontiff's bonfire. I was deliberately baiting it so I could get a chance at a Giant's Seed so I can complete my Solaire cosplay. I got invaded by two people - a regular invader and an Aldrich.

I even got a bluecop to boot! Too bad he sucked and got killed quickly by mobs. The regular invader decided to attack the Aldrich a bit for fun (and probably to whittle down his estus, which didn't really work) and then BSS'd out of there.

The Aldrich was a parry-baiter using a BKGA. After a drawn-out struggle, he finally got to one-shot me since he had the Hornet's Ring.

I can see why people are turned off by invaders, since many of the ones you encounter have weapons and items far beyond what you would have at that point in the game (regardless of how upgraded the weapon is). I got my Giant Seed though, so cosplay success!

Yeah it can be unbalanced sometimes but at the same time, I know invaders are turned off because they keep invading world's with 3 or 4 phantom and host and usually get stun locked in a corner.

So the invaders will be as ruthless and twinked as possible because they need to be ready to take down more than 2 guys if necessary. And they live and breathe pvp.

If I know it's just me and the host, I'll try to be fair and make it fun for both of us.

If there's a gank squad, I will do anything it takes to whittle down your numbers. And ultimately if I fail, I'll just black crystal out so they don't even get the satisfaction of stun locking me to death.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Going through a tough section to find an alluring skull is the best FROM troll

So would you say in this case the skull allured you there?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

So I made a shiny new account on PSN and got myself to Halfway Fortress, then equipped bluebro.

...Still no hits :saddowns: So as far as I can tell it's not linked to account age on PSN. Testing things so you don't have to!

I'm almost positive that blue sentinels don't activate as a result of a watchdog invasion. Just so you know.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

MZ posted:

Finished my first run through of the game, and while I really enjoyed it, I got a bit burned out around 3/4 into it. It's a great game but Bloodborne PvE is another level and the best of the lot, sorry PC people.

I think it suffers too much from over-familiarity, there is nothing that really surprised me having played DS1 & 2 and it's a shame FROM played it a bit too safe, but I guess that's understandable given the backlash DS2 got.
I enjoyed fighting Dancer and Champion the most, didn't enjoy Twin Princes and Nameless King that much.
Still, lets see what the DLC brings eh?

Is there a check-list of stuff to do before NG+? Should I keep my save in NG for the DLC?

DLC won't come out until August. I'd recommend just starting a new character for the dlc. Get them up to sl60 or so. If they need more you can finish more of the vanilla game. But this way they have some room to grow and maybe make use of specific weapons in the dlc.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Blacktoll posted:

I know this is very difficult for the rabid defenders of this game but I both enjoy this game greatly and dislike certain attributes.

How dare you.

Really though I think every souls and borne game have their strengths and flaws. Like bloodborne has probably the best single player experience in the whole family but it also has the worst and most annoying pvp.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

NTT posted:

The biggest greivance with DS1 is that it runs like poo poo compared to DS2/3.

I keep saying it but I think that dark souls 1 could benefit from a scholar of the first sin edition. Demon's souls too especially if they could redo the 6th arch stone

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

homeless poster posted:

i'd be down for an HD remaster of demons, but if you ever look at cutting room floor, or another website that focuses on cut content for games, and you look at the 6th archstone stuff, i think it was a good idea that it got cut. what's been pulled from the game data really doesn't mesh with the overall tone of the rest of demons world and aesthetic, and i feel like including it just to include it would actually make the overall experience worse.

for reference, the game data that's been found indicates the 6th archstone would have been more of a generic fantasy world with another castle (world 1-X repeat) with boring beastmen type monsters (tigerman and owlman and bearman and etc.) and the model data that's been produced isn't even bizarrely horrific stuff like the rest of the ingame monsters (hello man-centipedes and demon fetuses), it's exactly the unremarkable stock-fantasy stuff your imagination comes up with when you hear bearman or wolfman or etc. It really seems like it didn't fit the tone of the rest of the game, and it makes sense that it was actually left unfinished. Plus, having a mysterious, ruined 6th archstone where the demons had already won so thoroughly that the survivors in the nexus had to destroy the gateway to the world is a really cool story detail.

Possible. Demons souls is the only game left without dlc in the series though so I'm suggesting it as a possibility.

They literally do have an enemy that'd basically a yeti but with the mouth in it's stomach so that's kind of original and I don't see why you're calling it generic fantasy when the entire first arch stone is generic western fantasy castle.

Anyways if they could put it in, the extra content would be great. I'm sure there's still a twist or two they can do on it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Man, putting a sunbro sign down at the start of the Cathedral of the Deep zone was a poor decision. What a long goddamn zone to never rest at a bonfire and only have half Estus for. Especially because if you happen to die as the phantom before the boss you get dick all for it.

always put summon signs after the shortcut doors.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Blacktoll posted:

Haha, I like how no one on reddit gets why FROM aren't fessing up to it. Uh, maybe because they are a Japanese company and are saving face.

Or maybe because they don't need to respond to poise as that's about people who already bought your game. Better to just keep working on making great dlc content.

From a business standpoint there's no reason they should even discuss poise.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

it's also hopefully a sign that they recognize the problem and will fix it at a later date... eventually...

Just in time for the Lords of cinders edition on ps5!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They didnt take out SM for SotFS.

They also 'fixed' durability with that release too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This is a really wrong and bizarre attitude for a person who buys things to have. A product being dysfunctional can cost a company future sales. Obviously most people didn't skip out on the Dark Souls 2 DLC and SOTFS Edition over the durability bullshit and things like Soul Memory, but I'm sure at least a few people did, and I'm sure the cost to roll out a patch that halves all current poise values and flicks on the switch that enables DkS1 poise wouldn't be staggering.

Note: I'm not even saying I give a poo poo about the poise stuff. I just don't get why you think it's smart business to basically ignore a huge segment of your player base complaining about something rather than making a token effort to change it (the real reason they haven't is probably that they're afraid of loving something else up or that they'll "do it wrong" and people will complain about that) or attempting to explain logically the design reason behind "it's working as intended".

Because it's not a dysfunctional product like everyone makes it out to be. It's just how this game plays a little differently.

There's not a lot of worry about future sales considering this game already beat all prior game records. And I think according to steam, people have already bought more deluxe edition of ds3? They've gotten their money. They intend to still provide a complete experience with the dlc.

If this was a water bottle that'd leak over years, then yes people would complain and the company would issue a statement. Because there's still lots of potential for water bottle purchases even by the same people.

If you think people are going to boycott from software over poise that's not gonna happen. And people will still buy the game without any acknowledgement of poise.

But even without poise, millions of people play and beat this game. People still do fight clubs.

Tl;dr the poise issue is a stupid issue.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

EC posted:

Can someone link me or explain to me the PVE vs PVP calculations? I didn't realize things were different.

I don't have a link but offhand, spells and stuff that buff your weapons are reduced in pvp.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

I think one of the best things about Dark Souls has been Tallgeese posts

Or gibbed. It's always fun learning how games work or how they should work but don't.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

releasing three games in as many years will do that. I know I haven't played this game nearly as much as bloodborne or dark souls 2 either and it's absolutely because of fatigue from playing a bunch of similar games recently

Not even that, technically 4 games because ds2 got rereleased as scholar of the first sin and a few people played both original and scholar. Then don't forget the dlc for bloodborne and ds2 which is almost like another game.

So in 3 years, people may have played as much as 5 games worth of souls action. Not including ng+ or replays.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Also there's little lightning resist compared to other games and the dragonslayer great axe can wreck things easily.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Supremezero posted:

As far as I can recall that's always been true for lightning, at least relatively.

Yeah I think I'm thinking of it in terms of how lightning was already nerfed a lot on ds1 and a little bit in ds2. Still time that the axe could get nerfed.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You are correct. You need at least one point for hyper armor to work.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Regarding surge, I'll definitely wait for reviews on this. Already been burned by Lords of the fallen. Nioh looks like it's going to be a better clone than Lords. Thought it was a little too hard and items drop with random attributes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Nioh is getting a LOT of changes based on the alpha, and they're doing a new demo too so that'll be interesting. It was way too hard for me too and I've slogged through defiled chalice dungeons for my BB platinum.

I think what's going to happen is difficulty will get some adjustments for sure. There was no reason to be so squishy in that game. I've platinumed all dark souls games and bloodborne and I only made it to the boss in the demo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The dark souls 2 environment designs were top notch and it's pretty fun with a coop buddy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rumor is we're going to get dlc news/trailer at gamescom

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Im tired of how jaded the video game community as a whole is nowadays

Doom 2 comes out, literally gives new levels, one new weapon, three new enemies and a few new powerups and not a single soul thought it was poo poo just because it used tons of assets from Doom 1

Gamers nowadays just like whining about things not being exactly perfect or original, and tbh its a sequel, who ever said it had to be perfect or original? The very nature of a sequel leads to, indeed, demands repetition of common themes and mechanics to earlier games in the series

I mean sure maybe DS2 or 3 doesnt do some stuff as good as others, but if you bought the game and played it for at least a week's worth than hours you have no room to complain imo, you got your moneys worth

It's so stupid how the flaws can be so little, yet cause people to rage.

I have seen entire forum topics bitching about how AoA is short at 4 hours. And that's not including if they replay it or spend extra time with PVP.

I hate this, and it makes it almost impossible to find a worthwhile discussion about games.

This place probably has some of the best positivity and discussion about the new DLC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think you can red eye mound makers? I don't remember. You can't red eye the only covenants I want stuff from :(

Protip, just red eye your covenant of choice in the Aldrich faithful area. You win at least half the time.

Doesn't work for blue sentinels or watchdogs but otherwise, tongues, sun coins or bones.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Genocyber posted:

It does. Dark Souls is the only game that use P2P for matching people up, all the other games have a server that manages that, as far as I understand. They all use P2P once you're actually connected, though.

The series is more popular than ever. I have to imagine the only reason they haven't done this yet is because multiplayer is truly an afterthought by the devs. That's why covenants always seem so incomplete.

I mean there's servers for world tendency in demon's souls!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I really love how hard every souls game was at launch. If you beat it/got the platinum in the first month, you were a boss.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

I have never, ever fooled an invader with a white branch.

That's the problem. Most invaders are very experienced and chances are whatever area they invade you in, they know the layout like the back of their hand because they've spent hours invading people in it.

They will find even the slightest thing off.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Npc summon dying does effect characters but only in dark souls 2 side quest stuff. No worries in ds1, you can summon over and over.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

The DLC is available from the Cathedral, which is the next zone (there are 2 zones from the Road To Sacrifices, if you're in a horrible stinking swamp full of poison, you've gone the wrong way). People say you can take it on at SL 90 or so, though if you're a beginner (or a wimp like me) then it's better to wait until you're way closer to the end game.

Sl90 is almost endgame.

You can absolutely take it on as low as sl60 if you're experienced. It just means having upgraded weapons.

It's also not a bad idea if you wanna try and get in there and run for items and weapons. There's not a lot of roadblocks so you could even make it to the bosses with clever sneaking around and kiting.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

I'm getting confused with DS2, aren't I :/

Just a little. I'd agree that sl90 is almost required for ds2. Every enemy hits like a truck in all 3 dlcs.

In AoA, if you avoid the bigger enemies, most other ones are very manageable at around sl50.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Here's my thoughts on the entire souls series re: invasion stuff.

Demon's souls: pretty sure most people didn't really have a clue what they were doing. It was almost pure and innocent then.

Dark souls: really great stuff besides the legend. After the first few months you'd stay clear of undead burg due to high amounts of twinkers there. Personally I loved invading low level in the sewers with the creepy skull Lantern. Dark souls 1 is when the series really took off, and so for a lot of people, invasions and pvp stuff was new, exciting and fresh.

Dark souls 2: it's only decent due to the specific invasion areas in the form of rat and bell. I've played through ds2 entirely human and scholar of the first sin with a buddy for a total amount of 3 full playthroughs and I can count the number of invasions in non rat/bell areas on one hand.

Dark souls 3: pretty good in my opinion. Aldrich and watchdogs are more fun than rat/bells. I'll say rat was more creative though. Purples are a new twist and helped make things interesting for the first few months even if it's died out now. It's a little worse than dark souls 1 just because the host gets so many advantages against an invader.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I agree for the most part. I've had the most fun in 3 in terms of balls-to-the-wall action, thanks to the overall game speed increase and phantom estus, but 1 was the most fun in terms of randomly squaring off for a duel. 2 was hellaciously hosed up in terms of traditional invading, and while Belfry Luna and the Iron Keep bridge had their moments, they hosed it all up in SOTFS by putting Glencour as a summon in the bell tower :argh:

Demon's was a hilarious no-man's-land of overpowered bullshit. It's kind of charming because everything was so wildly broken that it wrapped around into being fun??

Yeah like I said, for demon's souls most people didn't really do a meta or anything, we were all young babes reveling in a completely new kind of experience and just some of us had discovered really fun stuff. Can you imagine the scraping spear actually making a comeback?

I almost forgot about dragon Bridge in ds2 but let's be fair, every game has had their non traditional fight club. Undead burg, iron keep bridge, pontiff fight club. Every game was equal in that aspect besides demon's souls.

Dark souls 3 is really fun as an invader or invadee as long as you didn't tip the balance too far in your favor (if you were host and summoned two phantoms and have way of the blue and giant seed on your hotkey, I'm sorry but gently caress you, you're ruining part of the real fun of a souls game) if you didn't want to be invaded then summon the phantoms allowed to you without a dried finger or go embered at boss gate and summon there. I'm fine if you keep way of the blue on, blues are fun to fight as an invader, they're usually idiots.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

They should have given mound makers higher preference to invading a world already with a red phantom.

Nobody knows which side he's on! He'll take out the weakest.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

FrostyJones posted:

Heads up for SteamFriends: The patch is going to be a full 7.7GB, so this is also our pre-load for DLC2. I have the Season Pass, so someone that doesn't have it might have a smaller download? This also means that data mining will be starting like now. Be wary of spoilers , skeleton...

I believe everyone needs to download it. From does this instead of compatibility packs.

Remember vanilla players can still get invaded by invaders wielding DLC weaponry.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Separate post: I'm hearing the PS4 pro patch is making the framerate variable instead of letting it be a solid 30fps all the time. You guys notice anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Genocyber posted:

There was a translation on Fextralife of some Japanese promo stuff for the first DLC and it had that as a line.

Speaking of, anyone have a good idea for a new thread title?

Apparently with the recent ultra greatsword buff it's now the worst of the lot. How the mighty have fallen.

Dark souls 3: the ringed city:it all ends here except the pvp meta.