Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Am I the only one fairly disappointed in DS III?
In both DS and DS II, I cared about the lore, I wanted to know more about Artorias, Gwyn and so
on in DS. In DS II, I wanted to know more about Vendrick, what he stole from the giants. The giants them self, Drangleic, Nashandra and the other dark queens. There was so much lore to explore.

DS III feels really empty. The gameplay and dungeons are great, but storywise, there is nothing. It's way too linear and npc quests are easily broken. It's not even hard, you are just forced to consult a walkthrough unless you want to break an npc questline. The lore seems nonexistent and the game tries way to hard to be DS 1. From everything to the dungeon order, to covenants and progression. You start in a graveyard with a simple boss, goes to firelink shrine, then a castle with a dragon on a bridge, a city of undead, a poison swamp and a forrest with pvp covenant and so on.

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Vermain posted:

No, I agree with you, although it's only slight favoritism. Both games are fun in their own way, but the linearity of DS3 and its heavy reliance on nostalgia and references to the glory days of DS1 doesn't interest me in the least. They also still don't understand how important Oscar was in setting up the player's motivation in DS1, and the game ends up committing the same sin of DS2, where I'm still not sure why the gently caress I'm even bothering with all of this beyond being told "it's really important and your duty, okay cya" once by a Fire Keeper.

yeah exactly. I don't think DS III is a bad game, in fact I think it's great, from a gameply point of view. But as you say, it relies a lot on nostalgia without realising it misses an npc that tells you a story to care about. In DS I it started with Oscar, then framt (or Kathee). In DS II you had the three old firekeepers (and the fourth from the intro video), then the maiden in green to introduce you to a goal, you had npc's that told you of specific areas, like the shop lady that talked about the time the giants crossed the sea. But in DS III there doesn't really seems to be an npc that tells you why you should seek out the lord of cinders or link the fire. Or why a specific area exist.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, you're the only one.

"The lore seems non existent" :lol: are you kidding? There's tons of interesting lore, same as any souls game though you gotta dig in to understand it. There'll be Vaati videos soon detailing all the deep lore of DS3, it definitely exists.

Agree to disagree, like I said, I don't think this is the case, having read everything I found.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 22, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Umm, that's literally what Ludleth is there for. You need to retrieve the Lords to link the fire, and you need to link the fire to restore the flame and life to the world.

Yes but that's the story of every souls game, that's not new. DS I, it was new do to being the first game and had the whole usher in a dark age alternative. DS II had a side story focusing on breaking the curse and the cycle. DS III just tries to be DS I with better graphics

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Wagrid posted:

Also there are two alternatives to linking the fire both of which are new (Usurp the Fire is different to DS1 Dark Lord, where you rejected the Flame rather than co-opting it) you just loving missed them. Even in the Link the Fire ending it is heavily implied that it hasn't worked and the flame will go out anyway. Your complaint is "I missed all the interesting story stuff, thus there is no story".

No I didn't, I know the three endings, I just don't find the interesting or satisfying. And I don't think the story in DS III is told particularly well, compared to DS I and II. Sorry we disagree, but I'm a glad of it, that you enjoyed it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Not finding them satisfying is a matter of opinion and that's fine if you feel that way; what you said, however, was that the lore was muddled and that you weren't given proper motivation, neither of which is true.

Are we really going to argue semantics? of course it my opinion that the story/lore wasn't satisfying. I wasn't, In my opinion, compared to DS I and II, given any motivation. And I feel that DS III is lacking on the story part compared to its predecessors,. But of course that just my opinion. I wasn't trying to state it as facts, so if you felt that from my statements, I apologies.

At least that how I see it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TGLT posted:

That's the weird part. In Dark Souls 1, the sum totality of your motivation up until you meet one of the goat snakes is "some dude said go ring a belltwo bells and kill some people on the way." A key point in Dark Souls 2 is that you don't really have any motivation for what you're doing. You will "find yourself standing in front of its gates, without really understanding why." I mean, unless SotFS really changed something the focus of DaS2 is on the mindless and meaningless pursuit of your desires, which for the player of DaS2 is just "beat the game." DaS3 is way clearer with the main impetus of the story: These four dudes are being huge shits and not doing their job, and you need to drag them back to the thrones to do their job so we can link the fire.

And I mean I'm with you that it's a less satisfying motivation, but not because the game didn't try to give you one. It's weaker because it's more explicit and laid out than the other games. The self-directed sense of motivation in 1 and 2 better meshed with the series' strong emphasis on exploration. It does work pretty well with what the game is trying to be about, but it's not as personally gratifying as "well I see me a castle so I'mma go gently caress up everyone in it."

As for the other part, I mean yeah that's all up to you. It's a story of finales and that's not gonna be interesting to everyone.

I don't disagree with you, I think DS I had the advantage of being the first game. The world was new and that lent some extra purpose to the exploration part for me. If DS I had been the third game, I'm sure my complaints would be the same

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm disappointed but for rather different reasons. The lore in DS3 is fine, I just object to the fact that I bought a Dark Souls game and feel like I got Bloodborne 1.5 instead. I didn't want a Bloodborne game, I wanted a Dark Souls game, and DS3 doesn't really build on the appeal of DS1/2 at all for me.

Which is to say, exploration and diverse character builds.

yes I agree. I guess english not being my first language makes it a bit harder for me to articulate my complaints. I tried to explain what I felt by the game being to linear. But you say it better.
Again, I still think it's a great game, it just doesn't peak my interest the same way DS I and II did.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

homeless poster posted:

that's definitely something that bugs me. there's almost no slow enemies. everything is at least as fast as you, and probably a good deal faster, even if the enemy model looks like it should be this large, lumbering thing that takes time moving around.

i guess that's one way to fix the "circle strafe w/ shield up > backstab > win game" problem from ds1 & 2. if every monster moves at turbo speed, you don't really ever have the chance to try and circle behind them.

This, I felt the only challenging enemies, was big dudes with near unlimited stamina and surprisingly fast attacks for their size and the weapons they used. That and atrociously camera angles when locked on large enemies.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

So be more careful about the number of times you hit an enemy.

come on mate, a DS game can have flaws and still be a good game. No need for the constant get good to any criticism

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

I mean, I just don't agree with this particular flaw. My main complaints are that I think they went too far in reining in magic and now it's useless for 80% of the game (barring pyromancy), and that weapon balance, in general, is still pretty bad. Patch 1.04 helped, but I still feel a bit like I'm handicapping myself when I'm not using a straight sword, and I never felt like that in a previous Souls game. Even in Bloodborne, where the Saw Cleaver is easily the best PvE weapon (and yes, I'll argue that it's better than Ludwig's Holy Blade with any other Bloodborne players in this thread), I never felt like I was being punished for not using it.

Fair enough. I can't comment on Bloodborne or Demon souls, since I don't have a ps3 or 4. I agree with you, though patch 1.04 made Flameberge a very variable pve and pvp weapon imho. But before that, I used straight swords exclusively. And yea, I was underwhelmed with miracles and sorcery too.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

LOL

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Okay, PvP in this game is broken. Invade a guy, he runs to the bonfire and summons dudes then a blue guy comes as icing on the top. Invade a guy, him and two of his buddies are standing right where you spawn in, emote at you, you can't move because you have two heavy weapons smashing you and a lightning spear hitting you. Invade a guy at level 20, his friend in Ornstein's gear casts something that demolishes you because you don't have the HP for that poo poo. Invade a guy, leveled down guy with a pimped out estoc pokes you three times and you die.

It was fun when it's a few purple pals against the host and his crew of dudes, but solo invading is complete garbage.

It'd be nice if you couldn't switch in and out of Way of the White at will. When you're not sunbroing or invading there's no reason not to have Way of the White on.

get good... Wait am I doing this right?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

For years I've been confounded by the methodology by which the majority of message-scripters craft their messages. And by "majority" I mean the ones that don't just enter "tongue but hole" "magnificent chest" and "gorgeous view" all over everything.

OK, maybe I'm not talking about the literal "majority." What I'm talking about is players that leave messages like "Illusion ahead, in short try attacking" or "mob enemy ahead therefore time for dashing through." There are perfectly good conjunctions that would make more sense. Notably a simple comma. It's there, right at the bottom, and the conjunction list doesn't even scroll in short try brevity.

And then there's the "Visions of" type messenger. This is inscrutable to me...and it has been going on for several games now. Of course, there are times when these convoluted messages are left to be humorous, but other times I just can't figure out why people would go through such great lengths to make these messages so convoluted.

Could these be messages that are translated from Japanese when left by Japanese players? That would be interesting. Somehow I just think it's just laziness. I take pride in crafting a humorous and/or helpful but well-constructed message. Using the gestures has made this all the more interesting.

I think I might start writing down the messages I read, at least the really poorly constructed ones, for some quantitative analysis. But really I'd just like it if people would visions of ambush left, therefore time for plunging attack!

In short, but hole

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just because im bored atm, has anyone ever tried giving the *eyes of a fire keeper* item to the blind cleric girl that wanted to become a fire keeper?

I waited with the eyes up until she became a firekeeper. It never became an option.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Anyone else on pc getting told to update, but the game won't update, so you are stuck in offline mode?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

gently caress anyone in multi-player who is the target of a boss and starts strafing it, so it turns towards the other summons/players. This is like tanking 101, don't face the mob against the rest of the party. How is this so hard, for so many players?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Circle-strafing is how you avoid boss attacks though.

if you are the target of the boss and have summons, stay in front and roll away from attacks, don't turn it around. it's really not necessary to strafe constantly on any boss

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

i guess with this patch they really don't want poise to mean anything

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

Either that, or they don't know what the appropriate way to fix it is yet. My money's on "working as intended" but you never really know with From.

I think you are right, which makes all the weapons, armors and spells that buff your poise ridiculous. I guess pvp will continue to be light armor, long reaching straight swords and katanas, with no reason to invest points in vitality. Making vitality a fashion tax rather than a useful stat. god drat I miss the varied builds of dark souls 2.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

When can i respec?

As soon as you clear most of cathedral of the deep. which you can go to after road of sacrifice and the crystal sage boss

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

How does that questline work anyway? Sirris showed up in Firelink once or maybe twice, and then...I never saw her again. Same happened with Irina disappearing and neither her nor Eygon showing up anywhere again, but at least I know why she disappeared (gently caress you lady I needed that Dark Blade) even if I found it weird that there's never any sign of them again, not even like a parting message or anything. But Sirris I never figured out what the gently caress was even going on with, all I know about her is she apparently gets mad about Rosaria's Fingers if she's still around.

Check this out if you want to spoil yourself on questlines http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/NPCs (whihc you should cause gently caress From for making most of them extremely easy to break just by exploring)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Man the early areas of this game is dead as gently caress

I guess that's not too surprising since the game has been out for a while but I expected at least a couple summon signs but I haven't seen hide nor hair of anything.

What? I'm currently on a new char and there is summon signs everywhere. And it takes me 30sec max to get summoned for anything after putting down my sign

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Vermain posted:

Again, as with flat damage reduction for elemental damage, I'm just blown away at the fact that they more-or-less pretended that DS2 didn't exist when developing this game mechanically and made the same loving goofy design errors as in DS1.

Agreed. There was so many improvements in DS2 that they have just ignored. It really feels like a regression in some parts. Not tha DS2 was perfect, soul memory was terrible and the new lvl + weapon lvl system is far better.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I appreciated that the best ending requires you to suck at least a little bit so you can die enough.

What's up with Irinia's questline btw? What does her becoming a fire keeper do? Any interesting conversations? I kind of forgot about her in my last run.

Never buy any dark miracles from her, but buy all light. at some point she will relocate to the bottom of the tower you buy a key for and be a firekeeper. When she does, she doesn't really ad any new interesting dialog, but you can level up there instead, if you want. There is no advantage to it. And you can't give her the firekeepers eyes. I haven't testet if you can give her the firekeeper soul.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I hope any dlc that comes, brings us time traveling shenanigans. I think this, so far is the only dark souls where there have been none of that. I also hope we get to see a drangleic connection. Would be really cool if we travel back in time, to the time Vendrick invaded the land of the giants (Anor Londo and upland) or right after and have us deal with the consequences. Possibly fight some of the daughters of Manus

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Shindragon posted:

We already did that in the DLC of DS2 :v:. Those three queens were basically part of Manus. But point taken with time travel shenanigans, that is ok in my book.

True and I don't want them to do DS II DLC again. But imho it could be fun to see Vendrick and Nashandra invade the land of the giants.

Harrow posted:

There's sort of some time travel shenanigans, or at least some very strange things involving parallel worlds, in Untended Graves.

Oh yes there is definitely parallel worlds coming together in DS III and from different time periodes, that's why Anor Londo and the blades of the darkmoon exist at the same time as their heirs the blue sentinels (at least in my interpretation). And that's really cool, that Lothric is basically a land where pieces from the past and present are smashed together, but still forms a connected world.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

This is stated in the intro when Emma says, "Lothric, the place where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge."

Yes exactly and it's supported by the Lothric banner that says the path to the undead settlement was cut of when the high wall appeared. We know from the intro and that, that Lothric is a land where severe lands converge, but anor londo and the dark moon sentinels show us it's also across time.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

il serpente cosmico posted:

The Dark Moon lady says that there aren't any dark moons left, though. She's just been chilling by herself, for a while.

true and the Anor Londo we visit in DS III is clearly from a later period than DS I. Since a couple of windows have been repaired and the giant smith has died and so on. But I at least interpret it as coming from the past rather than from another space.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Made a char for low lvl pvp. Leonard bugs out and doesn't show up when I got a pale tongue, so no red eye orb for me. :suicide:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Go kill the Greatwood.

I have and light the cliff side bonfire. Done everything that should make him show up

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Avalanche posted:

Will using a purging stone bought from Yuria gently caress up the Yuria questline? I'm guessing no but just want to make sure. It is very important that my character looks fabulous through this playthrough.Very important.

No. Some of the Wikis says curing the hollow status breaks it, but that's not true. You only break it by curing the dark signs, not the hollow status.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Regarding Nito; look at the weapon Aldritch conjures for his melee attacks, it's the gravelord sword, second image, gravelord sword itself

efb

I wish we could get Aldritch gravelord sword on a stick, as a sword spear.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Monomythian posted:

You should take double damage from players if hit from behind and during Eustus drinking.

You should not be able to summon the same phantom twice per invasion.

The two hit stagger rule should apply to you personally, and not each player hitting you.

Bonfire rooms should always have a fog door blocking them during invasions.

There should always be a fog door separating zones, example Road of Sacrifice into Farron Keep.

Reds and Blues should be matchmade before the host, instead of 1 to 2 minutes into the invasion.

Nerf the Dark Sword.

Add a poise fix and a fix for blue sentinels and darkmoon blades and this game might actually get fun for pvp and strange pvp/pve builds. Instead of seeing 1000 variations of straight swords / katana with abyss watcher set or drang set. oh and buff sorcery and miracles on lower levels.

I have beaten the game twice now and on the pve part, it gets really boring that all enemies can stagger you with one hit and that from Irythil almost all enemies have long combos and fast stamina recovery. I've done most of the game using a flamberge, but on a lot of enemies it feels like I'm handicapping myself, when a straight sword would actually let me do more damage.

As for pvp, I'm one of the unlucky for whom blue cops and Watch dogs just doesn't work very well. I got 4 summons as a blue sentinel in an entire playthrough despite wearing it almost constantly. Aldritch faithfull works for me, if I stay in the zone, but leaving it and I hardly ever get summoned.
The most annoying was trying to invade in other zones and see blue cops being summoned in a lot of my invasion. Then putting on sentinels or blades covenant and never getting summoned.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tetracube posted:

So what's the accepted max level range for pvp/co-op? Past level 83 I don't have much reason to put points in any stat

Depends on what you are going for. 80 is a good place to sit, since you can get co-op and pvp from Irithyll and up on that lvl. I guess keep your highest lvl upgraded weapon around 6 or 7. If you want to keep being able to do mid game stuff.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Shnag posted:

Would it be to much to request spoilers for images of important bosses? The game is still fairly new, and I haven't finished it yet. Though of course I realize I risk spoilers being on a thread about this game.

On a unrelated note. Anyone have a opinion on the Irithyll Straight Sword? I kind of want to upgrade my dex to use it. From what I read frost damage seems more useful against PvsP the PvsE because it affects defense and stamina. I don't have alot of experience using it or dying from it yet, as the rear end in a top hat monster who wielded the sword usually killed me before the frost damage bar filled up to much.

(edit: sloppy text)

It's possibly the closest to a newbie trap weapon this game have. It looks good the first time you get it, if you haven't been upgrading your gear, but it's really bad. I can't be infused or buffed, requires twinkling titanite, frost is really bad and it's base damage is quickly outpaced by other straight swords

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

HaB posted:

So what's the hotness in UGSs?

I had planned a Str build around the Lothric Knight GS, but just figured out I can't get one until I send Greirat to pillage Irythill. I just killed Crystal Sage, so am still super early. Can either do the swamp or Cathedral next.

Str is currently 30.

you can pick up Great Sword in the Swamp, in Cathedral you can get Astora Great sword and Cathedral Knight Greatsword. In the swampy part of road of sacrifices you can farm the black knight great sword. You can buy Zweihander from Greirat and after Farron keep, you can take a detour in catacombs to pick up Fume UGS. So you are basically at a point where you got access to a lot of the UGS.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dork457 posted:

Is the Carthus Rouge item bugged? I keep running up against this one mini-boss thats kicking my butt. However I'm not losing any uses of the item despite applying it before every attempt. If you die before one of the buff items expires does it just not consume it if you die before it?

if you have more than the 5 you're allowed to carry, it goes in your storage box, but it refiles when you sit down at a bonfire or respawn.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Shnag posted:

Thanks for the replies, I'll look else where. I might just give the long sword fire damage or something for the time being. Or I might reroll an other character and try the katana you get off the naked guy at the start of the game, as my stats aren't really focused for my first character.

Thanks, and fair enough.

Don't worry to much about it on your first character. Especially not if you try to play it blind. You are fairly close to being able to respec.technically one boss and most of a dungeon away, though it may take a while to find. getting your dex to 16 (or even 18) for the uchigatana is fine, even if you are going for a str build, since a lot of str weapons require that. And just upgrade the long sword to +2 if you have the materials, it should be fine for where you are.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Merauder posted:

What's the deal with the "get summoned to protect X" covenants this go around? I've been on for ~2 hours with the Wolf covenant glowing, while Embered in case it matters, with not a single summon. SL92. Is there something extra that needs to be done or happen to actually get picked up?

You are way too high for watchdogs sadly. It's more around lvl 20-40 and no more than +2 weapons. But for a lot of us, the auto summon covenants just doesn't work. Embered doesn't matter for them. You might have some luck with Blue Sentinels/blades of the dark moon, if you are one of those it actually works for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

40 strength, 30 vigour, 30 endurance and 20 dex, with everything else loving off.

It's carried me fine through everything else but this is doing my balls in.

Equip a great shield with high fire res, like black iron greatshield (upgrade it for higher stab +6 should be fine) and a fast weapon. Use lighting resin or take a weapon like dragonslayer axe. Now you can face tank most of lorians first phase hits and get 1 or 2 hits in for decent damage in between. You should of course still roll to avoid most attacks, but if his swings hits you, they do very little damage.

swamp waste posted:

Plus he linked the fire, that's what makes him a lord of cinder.

Except Wolnir isn't a lord of cinder. He is just a jerk warlord who fell to the abyss.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 7, 2016