Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, add Consumed King onto the pile of "Oh good, I beat him on the first try for once. But he's still a bag of dicks".

Come on man, I'm here to fight a dragon. Not watch one backpeadal halfway up the wall or halfway throug pillars so hard my greatsword bounces off because you're more level geometry than man. I'm a loving casual, I shouldn't be asking you to put more effort into trying to kill me than run away like a bitch here :argh:

Stuff like this is why my wildly spiraling skill curve looks forward to getting punched in the dick by Champ Gumby in the near future, while dreading the true final boss of the untended graves. Black Knights swinging their swords through eachother.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

So I recently got the game, and I'm rolling a quality build with low magic stats and high everything else. I'm about halfway through Irithyll, and I've got 20 in everything except Attunement, Intelligence, and Faith, which are at 10. My loadout is a full set of Knight Armour, a Knight Shield, a Refined Longsword, and the Black Bow of Pharris (which turned out to be surprisingly useful against the Old Demon King - goddamn, that dude is just not meant to be fought up close). Any suggestions on what sort of stuff I should be trading up to as my stats advance?

If you have 20s in everything and like the black bow, AND are already down in the demon ruins? Dragonrider Bow (19 STR/15 DEX)is pretty sweet for "Will actually deal damage when I shoot people with it" in a grab bag PvE build. Though it also requires scales to upgrade, which is a downer if you were planning on using boss weapons before you could grind for scales.

20's in everything also means you could use a dragonslayer bow if you liked the sound of that, and paying for all those specialty arrows. I like being able to actually move while aiming in PvE though :v:

If you like your shield, a Lothric knight shield is basically a straight upgrade outside of it weighing slightly more than a knight's shield (And has some of the highest lightning block in the game). Black Knight shield has higher stability, and accesses weapon arts rather than parry, but it needs twinkling.

12 Faith lets you cast the not poo poo heal, or use the status clear miracle for if you don't want to bring a dozen blooming purple moss clumps to deal with toxic (It does gently caress all about curse though).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 19, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

yeah but dark souls 3 pvp balance is rear end anyways so who cares

I used to care because "But it's not a stance art!" but given straight sword arts just get no-sold as you progress through the game anyways, that's not much of a slight against the Darksword in PvE past the high wall :sigh:

Though I do prefer the options of both a thrust, or a slash, on my straight sword R2s. So that lingering detail is why I still like Longswords more than Darkswords. Or even the ever popular Lothric knight sword, which is all thrusts all the time for it's R2 and then you realize how inconvenient that is gonna be for the Deacons.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

Gotta say, that payoff when you confront Yhorm after saving his bumbling rear end a half-dozen times is just wild. Especially if you don't have a Storm Ruler of your own.

God bless everybody putting soapstone signs down letting me have the slightest clue about how to cap that off without a wiki my first time through. Oh sure just make an awkward jump into some random window after being conditioned to expect invisible walls/cliffs from such scenery. After an NPC attacker has already taken all of your attention and you just want to see what's up the staircase.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I really hate how you stumble on every hit in this game. In Bloodborne it's okay because you recover and dodge so fast but here it is just torture. It makes me sad but I think I am liking DS3 less and less the more I play it. It's just miserable sometimes, and not the fun kind of miserable.

I admit I kind of gloss it over in my brain because of how it still let me emergency dodge after some hits and work my way through way more than DS2 did once people decided to start flailing at me and things went wrong.

I can totally understand the feeling of burn out if you preferred the more Deliberate pace of DS1, but the bits of 3 skewing closer to it don't make up for the bits of it that go away from the prior games. What your saying sounds like my burn out on DS2 because despite it being "Slower" than DS3, the quirks of it always made me feel slightly off kilter.

Since for whatever bizzaro world skill curve reason I find dealing with a wildly flailing greatsword knight in DS3 more smooth than my playing footsies with Lionmen in DS3. Never loving died in shaded woods+boss, even after falling into the basilisks and acid pit like a dumbass, but it still felt "off" to me compared to when I gently caress up and die here.

I wish I could articulate why better. Why did my newbie rear end love flailing my way through DS1, why is it (usually) okay with the 300% increase in sick combos from enemies in DS3?... But still always super burnt out on 2 partway in even when I managed to get through entire areas without a single death? There are so many cool things in 2, and only in 2 on top, so I just hate it that I don't like it more.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 23, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sum Gai posted:

In a game that has the straightsword one-handed R1 in it? Sure, okay, I'll take your word for it.

That feels more like a PvP meme/concern than anything considering every single Darksouls, the plain old Longsword loving owns.

Like, my very first idiot newbie playthrough of DS1 I shelved my Man Serpent Greatsword in favor of dusting off the Longsword I started the game with and getting a titanite slab put on it before anything else.

Meanwhile in DS3, despite "R1 spam, am I right? :jerkbag: " I get frustrated by straight swords in PvE in the long run. The regular moveset performs well but it just bugs me that the cool stance arts and stuff just... stop working. Can't guard break shield sporting PvE enemies anymore, can't even cause them to flinch if you hit them mid attack with it usually (and 'trade hits' with the dark sword's mini stomp art... hardly feels worth it compared to interrupting a silver knight's lightning blade with a flamberge or Executioner's sword art). It's a good weapon category as ever, but I just feel spoiled by the option of just chumping shield pontif knights or greatshield cathedral knights. "Oh wow, look at all the bloodstains. Two more just showed up. It must be a REAL BADASS over there... Oh it's a red eyed cathedral knight? Ahahahaha what a loving chump".

But all you ever hear people talk about is how :airquotes: "OP EZ" straight swords are because they get salty when people invest in a million stamina and swing it 8+ times in a row at them (Which will just get your rear end killed in many boss fights. Sure, just swing until the Dancer grabs you), as if it's a crime they are not a complete piece of trash because it's not their precious Black Knight weapon of whichever variety is as long as they are tall.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 24, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sum Gai posted:

Longswords have always been good, yeah, I'm not arguing they should be bad weapons. But their base damage is higher than other light weapons, like spears, or even heavier weapons like scythes. And the one-handed R1 isn't just better than a lot of other attacks, it's got better DPS than the straightsword two-handed R1 (unless you're dealing with guys with shields). That isn't how it's supposed to work.

I admittedly have always found that more a case of "Why aren't these other weapons BETTER?" than wishing the swords were worse. All that means is everything sucks more.

I mean, most non ultra axes get the shaft in Dark souls games on that front, while generally being more rare on top. I hear plain axes were pretty sweet in Demon's souls, apparently? I'm cool when playing around with a mace or small spear isn't "Optimal numbers". But looking at a planner and seeing how lackluster I'd end up with a battle axe whether it's DS3 or DS2 for no reason is... blah.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

RE: Buffs. I love that 3 just gives you that throwing item that wipes buffs. Nothing seems to piss off duelists quite as much as just chucking one of those right at the start.

"But it's called a duel charm, how can you say it's not dueling when it's right in the name?"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

Seemingly a whole lot of people. I've gotten angry messages about running forward and smacking people at the start of the match.

I will also attack people who stand around bowing because I am here to fight motherfucker we don't need to waste like 8 seconds at the start of every match
I am glad I'm a filthy casual when it comes to PvP because that means, at most, I just get very confused when I'm a purple bro and the Co-Op horde I've been hanging out with and didn't bat an eye at me accidentally stabbing the host in the fact with a flamberge while fighting giant crabs or something…

Will all flip the gently caress out, murder me, and downpoint spam over my corpse when I heal the host and/or his phantoms with a miracle.

It happened at launch repeatedly. It's happened since I dusted this game off one of the few times I did some purple bro for giggles. What is happening? I grasp getting ganked when I spawn in. I get getting stabbed in the face when I bow back to a guy who bowed first even when red signs are involved. I accept getting killed off eventually because I'm still technically an Invader as a purple bro. But this just baffles me for some reason.

Nearest I can figure, is that the prayer animation vaguely sorta kinda looks like the crystal animation? Which means they think I'm trying to "Escape" from point blank range despite the obvious chime, chime sounds, and their health bar going up if they don't backstab me mid animation?

That and people coming after my purple dude harder than they do Red phantoms who need to kill the host to "win". Guys, if I kill this red phantom i just backstabbed, that means I get my purple bro cookie. Bluecop, why are you backstabbing me so the red phantom can escape and heal himself then murder the host because you're too busy trying to kill me while I toss throwing daggers at the Red phantom between dodges?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 26, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Catfishenfuego posted:

Off the top of my head:
- Iron Keep became hot aggression-mod garbage if you aren't using end-game weaponry.
- Brightstone cove tseldora is just boring spider spam.
- The constant fragrant branch statues are stupid as gently caress and pointless, requiring you to consult a strategy guide if you don't want to miss content. The Bastille statue is especially egregious, requiring players to waste 12,000 souls or know where to get a branch just to reach one of the easiest bosses in the game.
- Why would you put one of the hardest enemies in the entire game in the first real combat area of the game, there's no reason except to gently caress over new players.
- Heide Knights went from an interesting optional mini-boss style enemy, in a placement that implies a group of wandering knights set off to try and save their kingdom and failed, to another aggression mod spam enemy that makes the entire Heide area infuriating after you beat a boss.
- Random forlorn invasions undercut the basic underpinning of Dark Souls design philosophy, you can't manage resources and plan for an enemy that spawns at random times and in random areas unless you have a strategy guide that lists exact areas.

Yeah, the actual for realsies "Dark souls design philosophy" is why my casual rear end was surprised at how the deeper into DS1 I got, the more it clicked and I started thinking about how the big deal about the game was how it loved to give me enough rope to hang myself with, rather than full stop wall to wall gotchas. The important leeway to be encouraged to keep going rather than burn out and ragequit, because dying didn't leave me any worse off than before just for starters.

I miss a lot of what DS2 did bring to the table, but the overall experience of finally finishing DS1 for the first time and immediatly moving on to the then new sequel was... Well, it felt like it was made by the sort of person who unironically posts that Zelda BotW is too easy because "You can heal while paused, make it heal in realtime like darksouls!" and missing the entire loving point that Darksouls made real time healing super convenient! We've got a quick access five count flask and everything-Oh we start with no estus, I'm already running dry on consumables, and you drink estus at half speed by default...

Though I wonder how much of DS3's quirks I would not be more willing to gloss over without that timeline of comparisons? To relived at the fact the Cleric class is allowed to have enough STR to wield his starting weapon right without level ups (and a pair of pants) to notice miracle scaling isn't so hot these days.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 29, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Today I learned that the pontiff knights with the curved swords have a 13 hit combo chain attack. gently caress off, are you actually serious with this

It's the Scythe ones that are the real bastards. They have working "Tank hits" poise :v:

Watch out for the Pyromancers though. If they see you, they can cast their spells straight through walls with no line of sight because gently caress you that's why.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

Really, all of Irithyll can just get in the loving sea

Yeah, I made it through on the first shot this time around but that's because I treated it as "Vidya games" rather than "Dark Souls is about SKILL :smug:" I like a lot of the areas, and I like this game. But that place really stands out as :sigh: for a big combo of reasons. With your first impression also including the fact it's when the game flips the double damage switch on everything.

I tell yah. My stupid like of the Dragonrider bow on the grab bag builds I prefer goes a long way to easing my suffering. It's nice enough it doesn't deal joke damage with minimal stats for it, but still encourages you to not try and spam it to take out giants or anything with it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shwqa posted:

gently caress the jailers forever. Why are there like 9 in this room?

Edit: Also why can't my chaos bed vestiges not hit a jailer if they are on the floor? It would be pretty nice if I could just use my pyromancy on them twice quickly instead of hitting them once and letting them get up.

Embrace pulling them with arrows like an MMO to deal with at your leisure/pump arrows into their face till they die. Because their distance from the door is so far their buddies don't give a poo poo.

Don't free the crucifix monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah use a boring slow strategy instead of a fun and cool one.

Crucifix buddy is the best part of the whole dungeon.

Crucifix buddy doesn't even rate an "Award for participation" any time I bother with him :v: Though yes it is a boring strategy, but the bonfire is not too far past that room so hey, once that's lit it's time to unleash the beast inside to run in and stab everything to death while they stare at you with less worry.