Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oops missed the ground floor of this thread.

Can't wait to use axes this time through. I've always considered it but this time I'm gonna do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My first death was to a skeleton dog after beating both lizard and boss without a dying.

Good times

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

For some reason those blood witch people in the Undead Settlement are among the most unnerving enemies in this series to me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

They just want to give you a big warm hug :)

I hadn't even seen that move by the time I wrote that. They just get worse and worse.

On another note I just found a skeleton with a hat on :3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I still get fried by his breath on that big area... how the hell did you guys survive that, considering he lights the ground on fire?

There is enough time after the fire dissapates to either make a run for an item and back or sprint all the way across. You can get everything there with a little patience.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just got dogpiled by:

An npc invader
A real(?) blue invader
Hollows with branches
A crucifix dude
A giant crab

Every one of them wanted me dead so bad.

It was kinda funny

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

So does the Watchdog Covenant just straight up not work or what?

I've been invaded twice this morning by watchdogs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

So does the Watchdog Covenant just straight up not work or what?

Regy Rusty posted:

I've been invaded twice this morning by watchdogs

I just made this post but it didn't appear but I can still see it when I press the little ? and even quote it

Weird

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Would you guys recommend that I do (areas after Road of Sacrifices spoilers) Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep first?

The latter looks way too scary for me so I'm doing the former at the moment. It's not too bad so far, I recommend it!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why can't all giants by my friend

I don't like it when giants are not my friend

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is there anything worthwhile up in the rafters of Cathedral of the Deep. I'm not having much luck up there and having just lost my bloodstain I'd just as soon not go back and try to kill those guys.

I think I got everything outside, and I grabbed all the items I could see, but since I was constantly trying to stay alive I might have missed something.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Look down from various parts of the rafters.

Please tell me specifically what I'm looking for I can't deal with these guys

:negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

So if you are facing the rafters from the entrance to them, go to the far left side against the wall furthest from you, and there should be a place to drop down.

Ahhh thanks

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh cool the slime students are back

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm very amused by the end of the Cathedral of the Deep.

I invade the guy's house open all his doors and prepare to kick his rear end... and it turns out he's off on vacation. :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Am I supposed to be fighting the knight right after the Dragon fire in the first area? I can't even get a hit in right now.

You can beat him, or you can run past him. They're tough but they're still normal enemies in that area.

--

The swamp is amazingly confusing I keep finding more treasure and have no idea where I am

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The boss of Farron Keep is one of the best bosses in the whole series :stare:

It's cool how it's made up of parts that are stuff we've seen before but all put together in this incredible exciting way. I really like the gimmick of the first phase with all the other dudes showing up and sometimes attacking you and sometimes attacking the others. And then the second one is a crazy intense combination of Artorias and Maria.

I'm in love with this game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I started off really disliking the Smouldering Lake, but in the end I enjoyed a lot about it.

The concept of climbing to the top to turn off that monstrous loving ballista was extremely cool. You have a goal right from the start of the area and when finally make it up there you have this ominous approach as the rumbling just gets louder and louder. You get there and you see that there's these dead giants and the realization dawns that this is just their ancient masterwork abandoned and running on its own (apparently with an advanced computer targeting system to boot). At last, once it's off, you return to the lake there's just this genuinely eerie silence that hangs over the area for the rest of your time there.

Admittedly I do wish there was a little more reason to actually turn the thing off since there's not all that much treasure left in the actual area that it guards. It's pretty much the worm fight and a few scattered shinies. Still the actual moment was cool.

On another note something funny happened to me during the boss fight of that area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dBYYeyj6iQ

I thought I was a gonner, thanks fire defense gear. :v:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shoehead posted:

So I'm stuck atm. After the crucifixion area there's the graveyard leading up to the side of a cathedral. Is there another bonfire after the chapel or am I stuck fighting up this roof?

I keep getting my poo poo pushed in up there.

You need to cross the roof but there's a shortcut ladder very close by so you don't need to go through the graveyard again. This place is filled with shortcuts that keep leading you back to the chapel bonfire so just keep pressing on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Most likely they are, but I want them. :shepicide:

They're worthwhile

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god what is it with people fighting the boss of the Smouldering Lake. Every loving time we get him down to his last ditch explosion, I run the gently caress away, and they just stay there and get blown to bits.

:psyduck:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cinara posted:

I killed him and didn't even notice he did this, I guess he died fast enough it didn't finish?

Yeah, I'm sure it's possible to kill him during the charge up period for it and stop it altogether. But it's sooo much easier to run away because he takes so long to charge it. And once he explodes he's completely incapable of moving afterwards so you're guaranteed victory if you avoid it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Cool thanks. What about small shards? They are still surprisingly rare.

You can buy them with the ash from Farron Keep.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What better feeling is there than to sunbro with someone on one boss and then a few hours later after you've progressed and beaten the next one, finding and helping the same person beat the next boss?

Whoever you were, Biggles, you were a good host and I'm glad to have helped. :3:

Said second boss was the first one of the snowy area. God what a neat fight. Sulyvahn stomped me over and over again in the first phase. I saw the second phase once but died in shock and then died a few more times to the first one. But the next time he transformed I was apparently on fire and he and his double proceeded not to touch me for the whole rest of the fight. It was awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

(Smoldering Lake spoiler) Does anyone know what the deal is with the giant worm? As a melee build, I'm not sure what to do with it. It moves so fast and so randomly that I literally can't get any hits in, and every time I get close the movement animation deals damage to me. What am I missing here?

Assuming you've dealt with the other hazard in the area, just wait till it stops moving and hit it. It stays still for a long time to do lightning attacks. Don't stand in its area when it goes underground.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The what fight?

I explored a huge amount of undead settlement but the only way out I could find was the frozen duder under the church and I've been going on a linear path from there. I fought the cursed tree, the demon thing with sieg, gone past the archer dude's firing range and made friends with him, but it all seemed to circle round back to the church

Am I missing something else?

You missed a branching path in Road of Sacrifice with a whole other fairly large area.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Ah, OK. Which part of that area should I look in?

Crucifix bonfire and don't go into the swamp. There's a ruined castle and a boss fight very near by that leads to a new area.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJ posted:

Also, i really don't like how little direction there is. Dark Souls has never been particularly great at this but in DS1 you were told to go up and down to ring the bells, then to go to Anor Londo then to go and get the lord souls. DS2 had the herald giving you direction. This game i'm just following the path the game gives me with pretty much no context. It would have been nice for someone to say "Hey, Alrich got locked in the Cathedral of the Deep because he's a maniac who kept eating gods" "Oh, he's not here, he hosed off to Irithyll. Go get him." Instead i learnt this several hours later after i'd already beaten him.

There are characters who literally say both of these things

I forget who told me the first one, but CotD was a whole thing of me going there to find the guy only to discover he was at his summer home from both item descriptions and talking to Anri.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Greirat's thing is definitely weird. In my case, I never told Patches anything, and had Siegward's quest up to date but Greirat still died. What I suspect is the deal is that Siegmeyer needs to have not moved on by the time you send Greirat. I didn't even get the option to send Greirat anywhere until after killing Sulyvahn so Siegward was long gone and I just found Greirat dead.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

Another noob question thrown in: I play offline, but get invaded...are these NPC invasions (the last one was calles Xanthous)? "What" are these invaders? I won and got his crown

Yes those are NPCs. They usually drop something good for killing them such as their weapon.

Soo exploring more of the snowy place I finally confirmed what I initially suspected on arriving here: It's clearly not just reminiscent of Anor Londo.... it's literally Anor Londo frozen over. There's no mistaking the Darkmoon Tomb and rotating staircase.

I'm sure everyone else already knew this by now but I hadn't heard anything about it so it's cool to realize.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait till you see the boss.

Whaaaat

Also I like how immediately after I posted that I actually went to the top of the staircase and was greeted with ANOR LONDO in case I'd been thick enough not to put it together by now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yo so people complaining about that one room in Irithyll Dungeon with the ton of those awful enemies: Did you notice in one of the cells there is a crucifix monster from the Road of Sacrifice? Well he's a prisoner and doesn't like his captors very much....

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

If trying to fight- ... hahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Why wouldn't you fight them? Once you're down on the ground level they're easy. The one with the slimes requires a bit more care but kill them once and they're gone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Hey, question about Greirat:

I hosed up and activated the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire and now siggy 2.0 has apparently skipped ahead to the next stage of his quest, is it still possible to send him out on another scavenging mission or is he straight-up boned now if I do?

I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. I think Siegmeyer needs to still be sitting at the fire in order to save Greirat so you can't even have talked to him, let alone gone down into the dungeon. I did the former but not the latter and Greirat died.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Well that sucks, hopefully he doesn't get anything good cause I'm really digging this zweihander.

As far as that goes you'll be alright. Grab his ashes and give them to the handmaiden - she'll sell everything he used to as well as the new stuff he was going to get.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

One time when I warped back to Firelink (maybe after treeboss) there was another woman there standing near the Fire maiden who said something like she had nothing to say to the likes of me then she disappeared and I never saw her again, anyone know what's up with that?

Ditto the guy I found chilling outside the shrine once, to the left down the path where there's usually a skele-dog?

Same thing happened to me for the first one:

She doesn't like Rosaria's Fingers so by joining them you locked herself out of her quest and a covenant. :v:

The second one is just the crestfallen guy isn't it? He moves out there sometimes. He's hosed off for me by now though so I don't know where he ends up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I haven't even joined that covenant at all yet, so I dunno what happened.

Oh yeah, could be, I keep getting NPC's mixed up, I didn't even realise Crestfallen and the guy who gives you the red eye orbs were diferent people until they both appeared together. :v:

Oh poo poo then maybe that was just her first dialogue. She isn't very talkative to start with anyway. Just don't do the thing I said and you'll be fine I think. Sorry for the inadvertant spoiler.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

loving hell I've just hit a boss that is far and away the hardest one in this game so far.

A few bosses past 3 Lords of Cinder spoilers: Champion Gundyr. Holy poo poo his second form does not let up. I can barely dodge all his attacks let alone find a place to get an attack in myself. One single time I managed to become semi-competent and got him down to a few hits left before he killed me. Since then he just flings me all around the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tamayachi posted:

I'm like... 99% sure you can get two souls of a Demon in one playthrough. One in Undead Settlement and the other in Smouldering Lake

Nope. That first one does not drop a soul, it just makes the items show up in the boss weapon menu because you saw the same enemy type.