Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I thought it was funny that people level "lots of dudes in armor" against 2 but the dudes in armor in 2 tend to be way more varied than the 3 ones. That said, all the fights in 3 that aren't that are at least really interesting. Even Gwyndolin, who was a complete chump, was pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

What? The armored dudes in 3 are all super different from each other. Gundyr, Vordt, Dancer, Dragonslayer Armour, does Pontiff count too? These are very distinct from each other in visual design and attacks and the overall feel of the fight.

I'd actually say Vordt is the only significantly different one in that group. The others are all large bosses who apply heavy pressure with sliding/dashing attacks with sweeping AoEs and slam attacks. Which, if you want to get super pedantic, is basically every Souls armor boss, but in 3 especially those fights all felt extremely similar. It was part of why I only ever died to three bosses in my entire first run, they were all using very similar timing, tempo and hit boxes and once you clicked into their rhythm you can beat pretty much every humanoid boss in the game with the same tactics.

E: It was a really good, sort of exhausting tempo that I really enjoyed, and that combined with having played all the others meant that the fights were sort of mechanical dances of perfection that felt really good to pull off, but it was all very similar.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Seltzer posted:

I'm playing DS3 for the first time and I two questions. Why do I find very very few summons when I have ember when I could find countless summons in DS1 like 3 years into the game? Also was shield always mapped to left bumper? It seems like the shielding and attacking mechanics should be switched. You use shield and quick strikes much more often and I think they should be on the triggers. Can I map the controls on console? (I'm on xbox one)

It's likely you're either below or above the typical SL for the area, and in addition there are weapon enhancement tiers for summoning, being at 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10. It goes off the highest weapon in your inventory.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It was mostly intended as a griefing fix for PvP stuff. If your sign is getting picked up a bunch but you're not seeing many signs that's pretty weird and I couldn't really tell you. If you mean High Wall of Lothric when you say the first area there probably just aren't many people placing signs there. It's a pretty trivial area relatively speaking.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Soul of Embers is an almost perfect boss fight from every angle, mechanics, presentation, music, everything. I don't actually lump it in with "guys in armor" because the Soul does so many different things other than just Swipe Attack 1 and AoE Spin 5. No matter how I feel about 3 after the fact, the Soul was an incredible ending in the moment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

everyones favorite bosses? If you're squinting / abstracting enough to say Champion and Pontiff feel the same then Manus and Ornstein and Artorias also fit that "mold", and those are usually considered the most praised DS1 fights. Seems like a no-brainer that they kept iterating on the thing people couldn't praise enough, and there's still plenty of the massively slow or flying bosses or the gimmicky swarm ones.

Of course there's always hope for the return of Bed of Chaos (static, frustrating puzzle boss), boring Firesage Demons or Centipede demon (obnoxious arena hazards) -alikes in the DLCs though. Wouldn't be FROM if they didnt let the franchise go out on a industrial strength dick move.

That's what I'm (apparently poorly) trying to get at. Champion and Pontiff do feel remarkably similar despite being obviously different. Many of the bosses in 3 apply extremely similar levels of pressure in their move sets even if their move sets differ, because I'm not actually saying that all bosses have the same move set (my bad there). A lot of the dudes in armor bosses in 2 had different levels of pressure, different patterns to their overall fight, whereas many of the 3 bosses are enter the arena, do not pass go, go directly to OH gently caress and continue that pace until the fights ends.

And I think that's part of it, at least for me. I posted, really pretty early on after release, that the fights in 3 were exhausting in a way that other Souls bosses hadn't been. They have just the right speed and aggression to them that I wasn't really looking for the cool patterns, or the cool tricks they did, or the neat lore things their attacks might imply, or anything like that. I was dodging as hard as could, focused like crazy while trying to stay as calm as possible, and after a while every non-gimmick fight just kind of blended into that core of focus.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's more of a problem for Bloodborne because most of the huge bosses are also just covered in floppy physics poo poo or extraneous bits of flesh that throw the camera around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

hey whoa let's not say things we can't take back. if you've ever had the pleasure of completing the iron passage in the DS2 DLC, you wouldn't be so flippant about fighting more Smelter Demon copy/paste jobs

Blue Smelter Demon is the price we pay for the 2 DLCs being so good otherwise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Otakufag posted:

Guys do think Ashes of Ariandel will fix poise and all the other billion problems ds3 had?

I can't believe I'm going to answer that seriously but here we go. It depends on what issues you mean. Even I, as someone who thinks 2 is the best Souls, will fully admit that the DLC is quite a bit better than the main game. That said, the DLC doesn't really fix any of the fundamental issues that 2 had that weren't initially patched, it just had better design around the edges. So, no.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Svenator posted:

I don't understand the "man in armor" complaints about these games. Whenever it comes up I feel like people just end up describing :darksouls:

Maybe it's because I've only played Bloodborne and DS3, but what non-gimmick bosses don't put on pressure with some combo of swipes and/or slams that you beat by finding the tempo?

The point is that it's granular enough between games because of the speed and play sense of the games due to their mechanics changes, that it can be a discussion to be had, or at least be a subjectively diverse thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

nothing was worth the blizzard area

I just told the blizzard area to gently caress off after I saw what it consisted of. Actually to be honest as good as the DLCs are in general, all the optional areas are kind of terrible garbage in all three.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did they do the Souls thing for 3 of patching drop rates after everyone had beaten the game the first time? I thought the game itself actually gave you enough poo poo without having to grind so maybe they didn't have to for once?

Orv
May 4, 2011
SotSF doesn't have the original game placements and balance inside it, no.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No poo poo? Sorry Dewgy, my bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh man I bet Irythll is going to be super ultra fun now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something about that video hurts my eyes after a while, everything seems a really weird washed out. Hopefully that's not an issue come actually playing in that arena.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're beyond help now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

This isn't directly related to the dlc but leading up to doing the dlc I have been playing through the game again as a pyromancer, which I haven't really done before, and boulder heave is my favorite spell in the game. I killed abyss watchers using it exclusively

EEURBLUGH

When the game was fresh and people were still doing their first playthrough, Boulder Heave was the premier No, gently caress You PvP dick move and I got so much mileage out of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So I heard that for most purposes except huge weapon swing hyper armor, poise essentially does not exist in this game. But I also heard that the latest patch changed poise. Is it back? If i put on Havel's armor will I get bitchslapped by a broken sword hollow?

It increased poise values/effectiveness, but you're still not getting any significant benefit from ultraheavy armor as far as I know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

So there's a new game by the Lords of the Fallen guys coming out next month, and it's Sci-fi themed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDYMytZAqyo

Hopefully they learned from their mistakes and it's better than LotF was.

I really hope this is good but holy poo poo the framerates in that video make me wary as hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a bad game. Every aspect of it serves to only bring the player frustration.

That's a really dumb thing to say about almost anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just realized how cool it would be to rig up two Champion Gundyrs as players to fight each other. That'd be awesome. Also laggy as hell, but.

Orv
May 4, 2011
THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES.

Fire's good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

DS2 is widely considered the worst in the series

One day you'll all see.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would rather play 2 over 1 these days and it is 100% down to the gameplay feel. Obviously it's subjective but I'm fine dealing with minor annoyances in gameplay rather than feeling like I'm trudging through molasses even on a fast character throughout 1 again.

Also the enemy animations aren't any more difficult to read than any other Soulsborne game and while I get that people dislike the spin in place tracking thing enemies started doing there, guess what's been happening in every From game since, including Bloodborne the once and future king.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 5, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've never once died because of it or frankly even noticed it was an issue so I can't really comment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

feelix posted:

The camera thing sucks and I shouldn't have to do that, and I could play DS1 without a shield just fine because I dodge bosses anyway and you can run past all the regular enemies

Do you just lock onto everyone and never move the camera? :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've played the whole of 2 without locking onto someone and never once experienced any kind of deadzones but that's anecdotal at best so I don't know what to tell you.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Like most complaints about 2 "the game is all about enemy mobs but DeS and 1 weren't" is bullshit and always has been, but I will grant that even after having beaten the game a dozen times I will still probably die first time to the Lost Bastille guys every time.

And probably that goddamn turtle dude in the hallway with the guillotine.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 7, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
:hmmyes:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a maymay.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Does soul memory even effect anything if you ignore pvp?

Unless you need to summon a dozen times for every boss or spend hours grinding souls for no reason then no, it will never meaningfully effect your ability to co-op at appropriate levels.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow way to snub Oceiros and his poor child.

I one shot kind of a lot of bosses during my initial run of 3, just from accumulated got good over the years prior and Oceiros was one of them, giving me absolutely no problems at all. I finally managed to slog my way through the first third of the game again earlier this month and it turns out I got insanely lucky with his move set in my initial play through. Boy howdy gently caress that dumb blue nerd.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The knights in particular in High Wall are a weird, out of place spike in difficulty especially since they love to track you with their insanely quick hits. Nothing that follows is quite that bad for a while, but it does get that rough again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Note: You will almost certainly not be able to play at even a steady 60 depending on your rig.