Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

Seriously though. How do you get past the giants in the cathedral? I'm not stupid (at least not all of the time). I am not going to stand under its feet and plink away forever. What's the actual solution?

You attack them. They don't have that much HP. It doesn't take much more than a minute each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ufarn posted:

Just saw the game has different endings. Considering I'm trying to Plat this game in the first NG, where are the cut-off points for that sort of stuff I need to be mindful of?

You can't do that. The trophy Master of Rings requires that you collect every ring, including the +1/+2 variants of some rings that only show up in ng+1 and ng+2, respectively.

RBA Starblade posted:

Going to guess Frostbite as a stat is worthless without high luck, 12 hits with the ISS didn't trigger anything on a phantom.

Luck just affects poison and bleed, not frostbite. No idea if there's a way to boost your frost capabilities.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm just waiting to find a weapon, any weapon, that scales with Faith. Doing fine with Astora Straight Sword so far but it feels a little bit boring.

To my knowledge there really aren't any faith scaling weapons. The closest things would be a few weapons that have faith scaling, but their predominant damage is physical (usually high strength stuff). If you want a faith weapon you'll have to stick with infusable stuff and use either the blessed or lightning paths.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Man, that sucks, especially since Blessed is pretty awful generally. But honestly I wouldn't even mind some with secondary faith scaling, I check every new weapon I get and so far not a single one has had even E in Faith. Guess I'll wait for Lightning and experiment with regular weapons until then!

There is the one weapon someone above mentioned. The Saint Bident you can pick up in the Cathedral of the Deep. More specifically, after the double doors guarded by one of the giants there. It has E in str and dex and a D in faith. It apparently can be infused, according to the wiki, so I'd imagine the fth scaling would jump up considerably if made lightning or blessed. Have no experience with it personally, however.

Frankston posted:

Is Pontiff's Left Eye broken? I'm getting no HP regeneration whatsoever, however much I attack.

It takes a lot of consecutive hits. Only time I've gotten it to work considerably for me is using weapons with a ton of attacks, such as dual-wielded curved swords or daggers, especially versus crowds like the Deacons of the Deep boss fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Couple of quick questions.

Is it possible to get a ring that makes you move through the swamp easier before you get to it? (like getting the rusted iron ring before Blighttown in DS1).

No such ring exists. But you can make swamp travel easier if you get a weapon with the Quickstep skill. Quickstep is not slowed and covers quite a bit of distance. Best for this if you also want to attack with it would be the Thrall Axe which drops from the hooded guys in the Undead Settlement.

quote:

Where can you get a ring to increase your discovery?

Not until (late game area) the Profaned Capital. There's a route back into the Irithyll Dungeon that will take you to a solitary cell with the ring in it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheQat posted:

is there going to be any more of that sweet DS pixel art like in your avatar? i'm entranced every time you post :swoon:

I dunno. I got it from someone who linked it in one of the dark souls threads. Hopefully the dude that made it will make more.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Man, choosing a straight sword is hard.

The Astora Straight Sword would be an obvious choice because of ~RP~ but I just got a Darkwraith sword and a Lothric Knight sword. Both are longer, and I'm pretty sure the Darkwraith sword does more damage than the Astora. It also looks pretty anime, while the Lothric is like a prettier version of the Astora.

And the Astora has a FTH requirement?? I easily cover it (gotta have enough faith for Homeward) but still weird if it's worse than the other swords.

rear end is best for buff builds due to its unusually high base damage. If you're going higher str/dex, either the Dark Sword or Lothric Knight Sword would be better. Dark Sword is one of the/the strongest straight sword in the game with higher stats, and it having the Stomp skill is pretty novel. LKS is best if you're going low str high dex due to its very good dex scaling. Poking attacks are nice and it has a slightly higher crit modifier than normal which is nice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That's absolutely wonderful advice, thank you :3:

What's a buff build look like? I don't think I have access to any buffs other than Deep Protection at the moment, but I haven't bothered trying it out since in the previous games buffs lasted only for a few seconds at base stats.

So a buff build would be any build that heavily uses buffs for damage. Traditionally you'd invest significantly in both a physical and a magic stat (e.g. dex and faith). This way you'd have good damage without buffs and great with. Astora's Straight Sword, due to its unusually high base damage for a straight sword, cuts out the physical stat requirement. Maxed out and raw it has ~300 AR, when most other straight swords* with high stats will be approaching 400, which ain't too shabby. This not only makes it an excellent weapon for something like a pure faith build, but if you're just going midway (30 faith or int) for buffs and utility spells then it leaves you doing very good damage while also having plenty of extra levels to put into things like Vigor.

*Again, the Dark Sword is kind of a beast if you got high str and dex.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What's a good pvp weapon that isnt the loving uchiganata? I've been using astors spear and the butcher cleaver, but i'm a naked deprived guy so i'm looking for something good for hit and run.

Any straight sword. Dark Sword especially, due to its high damage and long length.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I see. How high would you consider "high" for a stat in this game? Leveling is so much slower than in the previous games, so I'm at 24 STR 25 DEX right now. Since I aim to try as many weapons as possible in this first run I figured I'd try going Quality, especially considering you can actually infuse that in this game.. but maybe I'm just gimping myself.

High would be at the softcap. So 40 for using weapons (i.e. 40 str for str scaling weapons, 40 int for int scaling weapons), 60 for int/fth if you're using offensive spells (spells continue scaling up to 60).

Quality build is plenty powerful. But if you're doing that you definitely don't want to use the rear end since it has low scaling. If you're favoring strength then Dark Sword is better. Favoring dex then LKS.

There's also a really good quality scaling straight sword, but it's technically late-game. Sunlight Straight Sword. B/B scaling. Also has a 16 faith requirement, due to its skill being a better version of the Sacred Oath miracle. If you're willing to up your faith it's one of the best straight swords due to the high damage and the buff boosting your damage and damage absorption. But again, it's in a lategame area that you can access early by killing High Priest Emma (the lady that gave you the banner).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Domattee posted:

No we're back to Dark Souls 1 matchmaking were only people who are human can be invaded. Since people generally only go human to summon others that currently means it'll be 3 or even 4 versus you. The Fun Police might join in on the fun too!

Don't worry though in a couple months when the game isn't full of people playing through it and putting their signs down it'll become just as toxic for co-op as DS ended up being. To this day you still can't be human in the Undead Parish without some black flame spamming motherfucker invading you.

"Toxic for co-op" lol

Nevermind that you can't really make twinks in this game so even if that were true that wouldn't be the case here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Doing a Dex/Int build; boss soul spoilers Crystal Hail or Sage's Rapier?

If the spell sucks I'll get the sword, if the sword sucks I'll get the spell for cheevin or w/e

Spell's bad, rapier's pretty solid, and it's the earliest drop rate boosting piece of gear you can get (boosts item find by 50).

Harrow posted:

Yep, pretty much exactly what happened to me.

I feel like they just designed a lot of these enemies and levels for Bloodborne, realized it was Dark Souls, and sped the character up just a little bit but not enough. I feel like I'm at a disconnect with how the game wants to be played.

Git gud? I rarely had trouble with the crowds on my first playthrough. If anything the most difficult are the single tough encounters like the frost knights.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there any point in healing the Dark Sigil? It costs like 100k souls, I already made myself look normal with a Purging Stone and I killed Yuria for being creepy so I'm guessing that locked me out of whatever story path that was taking me down.

Stones just remove accumulated hollowing. You will still continue to hollow with each death from the Dark Sigils.

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of Yuria, did I screw up the story if she's mad at me? She left Firelink after I killed a pilgrim disguised as a statue :( Did the message deceive me? It was something like "Here! Miscreant" so I attacked and it died.

That message was entirely correct. Not sure why you would get rid of a foul backstabbing miscreant, Lord of Hollows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Minrad posted:

6 points in int worth it for a str build, to grab greater magic weapon? it seems to add a 'measly' ~50 damage, but hey free damage is damage and covering my bases against some physical immune or enemy I can't quite three shot is nice, without needing to bother using consumable pines.

Just use resins.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nuggan posted:

I'm glad to see the rolling boulders are back.

Look more closely. Those aren't boulders. Don't give up, skeleton!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

my new dog posted:

weapon from soul???? should i read the op

After killing the Rotted Greatwood you can give Ludleth the Transposing Kiln you get from it and have him make an item (out of 2/3 options) out of each boss soul.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This game is gonna be a nightmare for completionists. Have to play through it at least 3 times for the NG+ and NG++ rings, and lots of the NPC questlines are very finicky. Plus all of the covenant items, etc. Seems way more brutal in that regard than the other games.

You could say that it is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Control Volume posted:

Yeah, but check this out: the feel of loving rear end is incredibly good, much like the combat.

Both have got a lovely feel!!!

I love both 1 and 2 (for different reasons). I'm not feeling this one at all.

If either of these things feels lovely then you're doing something wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, I have run up and down this level twice now and I haven't found a Crystal Sage. Are we talking in the watery castle place with the crabs?

Yes. If you're starting from the first bonfire then head along the left wall. The bit with the crystal sage is there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Quality build, having a real hard time choosing between the Wolf Knight Greatsword and the Farron Greatsword. Someone tip me either way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

He needs to get over it quicker I need some arrows

Just warp to the shrine from the shrine. It takes one warp to progress things like that and that's the quickest way to do it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

So I finally got my rear end to Lothric Castle and uh... the red eyed knights here are three-shotting me with their shields. Why would you ramp up the damage that much, From. This is insane.

I don't remember it being that bad. How much Vigor do you have?

quote:

I finally got the really cool Dancer's swords and figured it's time I use something other than my straight swords but on these enemies those swords are useless :(

Daner's swords are bad, period. The upcoming patch is altering them in some way, hopefully to make them good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Monomythian posted:

Yep.

The flow of the game is different, it's MUCH more aggressive and actiony as opposed to dungeon crawly survival now. Unlike the previous entries, being cautious is not rewarded, in fact doing so will often just give the mobs the opportunity to use their hyper poise infinite stamina hit box tracking combos that practically one shot you. There are countless times you will win not because of your skill but just because the mob decided to stop swinging long enough for you to stagger it to death.

Caution is rewarded, being a turtling baby is not. There are tons of situations in the games were approaching carefully will allow you to whittle down the enemy's numbers by a little or a lot, but once you've actually started combat you need to be aggressive. Which is good, since turtling is boring as hell and should be discouraged.

quote:

The basic mechanics feel unfinished. Small weapons doing as much stagger and damage as larger ones is obviously the one people keep bringing up, buts it's everything. I'm not talking a few overpowered outliners from DS2 like the Bat Staff, Avalyns or Crystal Sword, scaling is incorrectly implemented across the board for entire styles of game play, such as Magic.

Eh, balance could be adjusted a little but it's mostly fine. I'd say the only big issue with weapons is that greatswords and ultra greatswords need to be a bit stronger, otherwise things are fine. Magic is fine, too. Miracles are quite strong once you have a good amount of Faith, and Sorcery is still fantastic for taking down enemies without letting them get close. It doesn't work for everything of course, but what it does work with it works in spades. And Pyromancy is as strong as ever.

quote:

All the fun tools have been removed or nerfed to uselessness. Even the trusty bow which has been a staple of my character since DeS probably got me killed more times DS3 then I found it useful. It just really bummed me out that I was punished for trying to be creative, and the most effective method for EVERYTHING was just to dodge into R1 spam with straightsword.

Bows are still good. R1 spamming with a straight sword or weapon of equivalent speed has always been the go-to strategy in these games, for both PVE and PVP.

quote:

This is not even the can of worms that is PvP, which ontop of being a lagfest, right now the most effective way to kill someone is, again, just dodge into R1 spam with straightsword. Even then its tedious as all hell because theres no way to punish chugging or runners.

Don't get the wrong, the meat and potatoes of the experience is there, but the balance is terrible.

Again, R1 spamming has always been one of the most effective strategies in PVP in all of these games. The PVP has always had an incredibly low skill floor, only mostly made up for its relatively high skill ceiling.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The gist of it seems to be that Dark Souls 1 and 3 are primarily about the First Flame and the cycle of Linking the Fire, Dark Souls 2 is focused on asking the question "What IS the Curse of Undeath and how can it be overcome?" and the issue of the Flame is secondary.

From what I've read elsewhere, DS2 makes a lot more sense for someone coming from a non-Christian background because it seems to be asserting that the Curse of Undeath is want, materialism, worldly attachment and that conversely dragons are enlightened bodhissatva-esque beings who have seen the true shape of the universe or something of that nature and are not bound by Want, the recurring keyword of Dark Souls 2. It's been a while since I really dug into it.

Pretty much. There's even elements of this in Dark Souls with the Gaping Dragon, a descendant of the Everlasting Dragons that was corrupted by life/want making it how it is when you fight it.

Meatsicle posted:

This thread is just not worth reading right now with all the unnecessary spoiler tags. How long until you guys stop spoiler tagging completely out of context area/boss/item names?

Oh no, spoiler tags, however will I read anything...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Minrad posted:

You don't fin dthis shit annoying to read?

I was able to read that without mousing over any of it so no.

CJacobs posted:

He's right though, it is really annoying when people do spoiler tags like that instead of just one block or just like abbreviating the name like a normal person

The only time people do that is when spoilering boss names or similar things. If you know what they're talking about it's easy to read, if you don't it obscures it which is the point of having tags there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meatsicle posted:

So let me ask you a question. If you haven't reached Pontiff Sulyvahn yet, how the gently caress does knowing there is a boss with that name affect you whatsoever? It's not a loving spoiler without some context. No one knows what the gently caress a Pontiff Sulyvahn is unless they have reached that point in the game.

It doesn't. I don't give a poo poo about spoilers. But I respect that there are people for whom that is the case.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is it true that joining Rosaria's covenant makes other NPCs in the firelink not like you?

Only Sirris, and even then only if you offer Rosaria a Pale Tongue. You can join and get the covenant symbol without any issue.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

So those snake possessed hollow dudes are not supposed to be fair, right? Every time I've seen them, they've been avoidable in some way, I didn't get anything the one time I sniped one to death (except revenge), and the hitboxes are super wonky and I don't see how you could possibly kill them in melee at all given they never seem to pause attacking.

They're incredibly weak to fire and are stunned for several seconds if they get burned, plus firebombs are plentiful.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Gotta say one of the nicest improvements that I think they made is finally, finally having throwable weapons scale with stats. I don't know if they did that in bloodborne since I haven't played it, but it seems like such an obvious idea I was amazed it wasn't included in 2. It's nice to finally look forward to getting throwing knives and firebombs now.

Uh, that was in 2. All the throwables scaled, with throwing knives being the most notable. They also scaled best there, as they actually got a significant damage boost, compared to Bloodborn where they did not. From my experience it seems like even the knives here aren't as strong, despite also being slower.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So anyone that's done dark stuff, what are some good staves and chimes for casting hexes. Ones available early on, since I just finished the Cathedral of the Deep.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The way I see it, sorcery/pyro/miracles are now solidly just a complement to your melee skills. The days of using nothing but lightning spears like in DS1 and 2 are long gone.

The only spell that's been consistently worth casting for me is fire orb, the rest do gently caress all damage for their cost and windup time. Even then, I have to equip sage ring, swamp ring and witch ring to make it work.
I tried to make Farron flashsword and magic greatsword work, because they just look so cool, but they still do much less damage than a bog standard crystal longsword. It's a shame.

All the fire ball spells are great, doing good damage at good range. Chaos Bed Vestiges hits super loving hard, especially against things weak to fire. Three-shotting the Beast of Darkness? Sure thing, game.

Great Combustion is garbage, though. Same damage as Fire Orb but less range? What were you thinking From.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HydeLyde posted:

Does anyone have advice for making a sorcerer decent? I'm at the cathedral and just got my int to 40, but I'm really starting to feel the hurt. The only decent sorceries seem to be the soul arrow spells. I've started to put souls into faith so I can switch over to being a pyromancy user, but so far the only one of those that seems ok is fire orb. I don't know how far I am from the point where you can respec, and I've put way too much time in to want to restart with a new character.

The cathedral area is where you can respec actually. Gotta find a hidden covenant. Unfortunately, doing so will piss off a certain NPC preventing you from finishing their quest line.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Funktastic posted:

dark souls 3 is amazing and probably the best souls game so far but god drat are those giant beast headed guys with the tree staffs in farron keep loving bullshit to deal with

Protip: they're quite vulnerable to fire. Use a fire ball pyromancy or (black) firebombs and you can take off most/all of their HP from a distance. also true of the abyss hollows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized I missed a bunch of weapons by not transposing them. I knew I should have saved those boss souls for something. I definitely want to reroll now.

I'm still not sure how to distribute stats in an efficient way. Should I just try and get STR/DEX up to like 25 so I can use most weapons, then choose one to max out? Is there soft-caps like in BB?

Soft caps are 40 for weapon scaling for all stats.

Going 20s in str/dex is a good idea if you want to use a good variety of weapons. And maybe a bit of Int/fth for the weapons that require those but are primarily str/dex-based.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress I think I skipped over that.

Lore spoilers, late game poo poo.

Another thing is that Iudex means "judge" and the first boss is there to literally judge whether or not you (the unkindled) are good enough to do this quest (and play this game). However you find the Champion version of the first boss in the abyssal zone. Yet another however, Iudex turned into a dark beast while Champion doesn't. Why? What purpose does the champion have? He's not really being a barrier to entry, there's no bell of awakening to bring out the dead. Is that how the cycle works? Only one bell rings at a time, either kindling the flame or having people cause it to wane? So there's a dark versions of the lords of cinder who seek to put out the fire instead of link it or whatever. Woah.

Also that area reminds me of the last area in dark souls 1, the kiln, where there's a bunch of black knights guarding a fire to be linked. But you find nothing but ashes, and a lady selling armor from the abyss.

My interpretation is that the Untended Graves area is Firelink Shrine in the past. Mainly from the description of Gundyr's armor stating "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more."

Cnidaria posted:

The lore implication seems to be that it is Lothric's firelink shrine. Since he decided not to link the first flame the shrine was consumed by the abyss and it is the source of the abyss parasites found throughout lothric. I have a feeling that one of the DLCs will probably deal with the abyss and/or Queen Lothric since she is the only member of the royal family that isn't accounted for. The lore surrounding her implies that she regularly visited the untended graves and that she disappeared at some point after giving birth to Ocelotte.

Lothric had to have linked the fire, given that he is a Lord of Cinder. Now that they're brought back he's just actively resisting repeating his duty.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yohrm has to be different from DS2 giants. I mean, I originally thought he was one, but when you get his cinders its a big human skull. So obviously he can't be the same giant...unless some of them have human faces while others don't. Also the lore surrounding the profane capital really makes him sound like the giant lord from DS2 along with everything about his design except the human face. Its confusing as gently caress.

The butthole giants have actual faces, probably.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you are required to beat all of the lords to beat the game

You can't even access the Grand Archives without having beaten the prior three lords.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

If STR is the main stat I'm focusing on, is Heavy usually better than a regular weapon? I don't think I've ever actually infused a weapon in any of these games. Right now all I have is a +4 Claymore and it's starting to feel a little weak in Irithyll and Smouldering Lake.

Yes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have a Twin Princes Soul they wouldn't mind giving/trading to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrGreatJob posted:

So, any idea what the SL for end-game PvP is? And if it should be NG+? I'm around SL 100 hanging out in the end area, trying to decide if I should defeat the boss or keep knocking fools off the cliffs.

There are three metas currently, at SL 80, SL 100, and SL120/125. I imagine that in the end, the SL120 will be the primary one.