Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh yeah. Eh, I felt like it lacked AR next to the boring old sharp uchi. This patch maybe buffed it tho??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jia posted:

I hope everyone recognizes that the Gotthard Twinswords are the best weapon in the game and other weapons should only ever be used for variety

I love the moveset but I wish they had better at. Sharp uchi spoiled me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so where's the best place for level 90 post-game PvP parties? I've seen signs in a few places but no real evidence of big parties

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

From the weapons I've looked at, sharp is only really good if it already has decent dex scaling to begin with. A black blade starts out with D scaling, which probably means that refined or something will end up being better. To contrast, a sharp uchigatana with your stats will do a whole lot more damage than a non-infused one. And then a +5 chaos blade is way better than the uchi anyway :v:
e: though the uchi has the advantage of being buffable, which in some cases probably matters a lot.
second edit: the wiki says that the uchi has the exact same scaling as the black blade and the washing pole, so maybe I'm wrong? Either way the chaos blade is far superior when you have 40 dex and relatively low str.

what makes the Chaos Blade better than a Sharp Uchi + 10? I feel like I'm missing something because I have 40 dex and its AR is way lower

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

poo poo, really? I might have to take another look then. I left my uchigatana at +9 because I was so drat sure the chaos blade would be doing more damage. I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed if it turns out I've been wrong this whole time :ohdear:

edit: here's a comparison between the chaos blade and uchigatana in my game, with 18str/40dex. The base AR on the uchi is higher, but even with the uchi being sharp the chaos blade has much better scaling.
Dammit. I was two-handing the Chaos Blade because I didn't quite have enough STR to one-hand it (and, er, I'd be two-handing it anyway) - I figured the scaling would work if I was two-handing, but apparently you have to meet the requirements for one-handing... in STR... even though the scaling is almost entirely DEX, and I wasn't one-handing... well, whatever. Both my Chaos Blade and Farron Greatsword now do far more damage!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

The lights are still on in most of Irithyll, Could be people hiding out inside like in BB, just trying to survive and whatnot. Seems like most of the action happens around the lord souls, so maybe dont live near them?
DS1 and 2 definitely imply that the rest of the world is okay for now - in 1, you're just one of many undead that are being thrown out of civilized lands as the curse spreads, in 2, you head out to search for a cure of your own volition and the intro even shows you forgetting a normal family and life. Not sure I'd say the same about 3 since the world is definitely ending this time, especially with the final area showing the world literally caving in towards the First Flame.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im glad they murked harambe, the vile ape

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I've beaten 3-4 players gank squads before. But that was just because they were bad. And the host gets careless.

There's virtually no chance to beat an actual competent gank squad though. Especially since it is incredibly difficult to stop the host from summoning them again while he rolls around with the Carthus Bloodring.
You're generally hosed even if they all just run towards you mashing r1.

In my recent playthrough I've found even most big brawls at irithyll prefer either 1v1 or 4-way free for all rather than ganking though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

holy poo poo absolutely nobody in PvP knows how to deal with great club. I don't even understand why, I'm just pressing r1 to hit them with a literal big stick while they flail around and panic roll and die

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just did it with a whip. Immolation Tinder would be funny

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Iretep posted:

doesent sound like you found the second boss fight yet. i think if you kill the nun nothing really happens besides she says gently caress you and then mysteriously comes back for the boss fight.
she comes back next time you load the area and doesn't say anything which is kind of lazy to be honest

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

stringball posted:

Anor londo was cool but what's the reason for it being there? I would assume it's the same but there's big parts missing and only o+s, gwynavere and gwyndolon's chambers and a couple rings that seemed to be directly theirs
Aldritch wanted to eat gods so he went to the place where the most powerful remaining gods would probably be.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nothing feels good to play for a while after a Souls marathon, you just need to go away and read some books or something until your memory of good rear end gaming fades away a bit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the gravetender sucked but I just powered up and parried him for a OHKO and then the wolf was just a lovely Sif who keeps running into walls and getting stuck on scenery

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The skeleton lords music is so ridiculous. I love it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they're fairly clearly what the tree dudes on the High Wall turn into, every single tree dude (and shelled pilgrim) is facing the castle even

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the ringed city is the great "rim" of the greatest and deepest void of all; the titanic goAtse's Man's rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sully is one of the most complete plot threads in the series imo. He's also the closest thing to a proactive, relevant and still -going antagonist which is cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I must've played too much Monster Hunter because I just realized I barely ever use the lock-on anymore. Maybe it's because I'm so used to all the enemies and their movesets by now?

I'm even one of those people who used to think it was super frustrating to see other people playing the game without lock-on :iiam:
New players don't use lock-on because they don't realise how useful it is, average-to-good players use lockon, the players that have become good stop using lockon because they have realised that it is a crutch for the weak

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I restarted Steam and unchecked then re-checked Ringed City under DLC, it works now. In EU.

Also the second bonfire... this is gonna be a hell of a ride boys

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

of all the enemies to bring back to kick my rear end humiliatingly loving desert pyromancers

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh. :(

Well at least it's not another three hour thing.

I saw a couple of the spoilers and saw that a level is Earthen Peak Ruins. Is...is the elevator still there?
no but cheap nuker pyromancer ladies are!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

huh I'm near the end of Earthern Peak and haven't noticed any NPCs or angel corpse things yet. Maybe I shouldn't play when tired. What NPCs have I missed?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

personally I was hoping for a free-fall battle with Gwyn and Manus (attacking each other like in the Abyss Watchers fight) as we plummeted into the Darksign Sun, with Aldia booming "beyond the scope of light, beyond the reach of dark... what could possibly await us?" and then when you strike the final blow you fallthrough the Sun which reveals itself on the other side to look like the Hunter's Moon and you land in Yharnam transformed into the first Moon Presence

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Also did anyone actually figure out the "Show Your Humanity" puzzle without any sort of hint?

I walked out of the door, saw the white tree, thought it was oddly placed and used one of its branches out of curiosity . I felt more lucky than clever but hey.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, does the Ringed City sort of look familiar to anyone else? It looks a bit like Oolacile mixed with the Undead Parish to me from the first bonfire.
yeah, and the Demon Prince arena is DS1's Firelink Shrine. The stairs up to the church where you can drop attack the headless guys definitely made me think of the part with the boar in Undead Parish.

The description of Ornstein's armor, found in the swamp, suggests he's just been sort of floating there since the Champion of Ash kicked his rear end however many centuries before, (though I thought Dragonslayer Armor was explicitly NOT Ornstein, since you find his gear at Archdragon Peak??? so I'm guessing plenty of... bits of Lothric are floating around too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

You're right Ornstein and "Dragonslayer Armor" are separate things. Armor is what we fought on the bridge in Lothric, being puppeted by the pilgrim butterfly or something.
but the set in this is definitely Ornstein's and the description says your DS3 character beat him/it before and that's not true, wtf :negative:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

okay yeah comparing the two and the boss in question I was totally wrong lol. never mind

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Iron dragonslayer armor description confirms the kiln is at the end of time? You kill him like an hour before you read the kiln and that was "ages ago"
Ringed City is even further ahead than that I think. Even the Darksign Sun has gone out. Also Patches having gone hollow long ago, finding Alva guarding Karla's corpse etc

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I staggered Zoey the first time she tried to heal and murked her after the second time because it didn't heal her enough to survive a charged up 2H great club :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

I have yet to stagger a harald knight. Been using wolfs curved sword and the black knights halberd. They not do a good job of staggering?
I staggered them easily with a giant club but could never do it with the FUGS so gently caress knows but i guess you might have better luck with blunt weapons

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

do the weird swamp things talk as well or was i just imagining that

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that Playstation Now thing that lets you "rent" some PS3 games on PC or however it works is expanding to PC soon, I'm hoping Bloodborne will be on it (I know Nioh is)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That sounds too good to be true, so I googled it... and I still can't understand how it works :confused:

If it's purely streamed (i.e. you watch a stream of the game being played on a remote console, and the console remotely receives inputs from your controller) then surely the input- and video lag would make a game like Bloodborne completely unplayable?
yeah I can't really understand it either lol. Apparently it works well for some people and badly for others, and I'm kinda concerned it'll be even worse with PS4, but there's a seven-day free trial so there's that at least

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

The way I see it, you get so few openings during that fight that a huge, strong weapon is probably the best simply to make those few hits count as much as possible. It's a very intense fight and most of it comes down to execution (dodge, dodge, hit, dodge) so ultimately it doesn't matter that much what weapon you use but the stronger the weapon the shorter the fight will be, since you'll probably never get more than 1-2 hit in per opening regardless of weapon.

Another good thing about using bighuge weapons (like UGS) is that he'll stagger every few hits. Not really enough to get in free hits, but if you manage to keep track of it you can use it to your advantage. For instance, if he staggers every 3 hits, save that third hit for when he does a nasty attack and stagger him out of it! Also, if you know the next hit will stagger you can safely do a follow-up attack (but only one!) which further helps speed up the fight.
UGS is also good because if you have decent poise you can trade hits with him, his normal attacks/swings don't actually do all that much damage or stagger you so it's easy to come out best in an exchange, unlike with every other boss ever. It's pretty cool, I like it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

on principle I'd argue that DS3 has too many bombastic choirs but they all own so :shrug:

I hardly noticed any of the Ringed City music because I was too busy screaming and running for my life though lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lakbay posted:

You jest but it is known that in the metanarrative people who give up playing the game before finishing it are the hollows you fight and the repeating cycles are people who constantly replay the game
Vendrick is explicitly the latter which is funny to me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nakar posted:

Admittedly it's unclear what the mechanical interaction is between souls, Humanity, and Fire. Even in Dark 1 you were feeding souls to the bonfires to level up but then Humanity made them burn brighter and refresh more Estus, and Firekeepers attract Humanity in great quantities. The whole thing just seems like a cycle Gwyn set up to power the Age of Fire with a cycle of souls and Humanity and as long as everything worked right nobody would catch on, but the souls would inevitably stop cycling (in part due to the greed of the Lord Soul owners in holding on to their powerful souls). The degrading integrity of Humanity from the sprites of 1 to the Effigies of 2 to the Soul Dregs of 3 also suggest the process is not quite the perfect cycle the gods may have intended and being cursed to be part of this cycle is inherently damaging to mankind.

I'm assuming that as ages go on hollows and other beings of great power begin accumulating souls and that absence starves the fire and it needs to be kickstarted by a champion gathering the strongest concentrated souls and feeding them back into the Kiln (or equivalent). You do this in every iteration of the cycle, it's just less and less effective each time and by Dark 3 it might barely do anything but cause the world to limp on a little longer. Compare Link the Fire in Dark 1 to the same thing in Dark 3, in the first instance you basically immolate in an enormous blaze as all those souls are released and the First Flame reignites and in Dark 3 you just... kind of shove the flame into your chest and begin slowly burning barely any brighter than when you're Embered. There aren't even really any promises in Dark 3 to suggest that your linking is going to do anything; Ludleth and Andre basically just say you should do it because it's your duty, there's none of the hope that some NPCs in 1 and 2 have that linking the fire will help anyone or alleviate the curse.
holy poo poo it's all one big metaphor for the unsustainable nature of capitalism

powerful creatures hoarding souls over time promising that there's enough to go around is trickle-down economics

linking the fire is bailing out the banks, a short-term solution to an endless and ever-worsening cycle

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Also his voice clips are horrendously compressed for some reason so when he speaks it's like running your ears through a cheese grater.
as ever, the VA audio quality is quite the bone of contention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Usurping the fire will probably make you good enough to be the king of the hollows for whatever that's worth but it's probably not much lol. And I figure after you're gone it just dies anyway, this is just a chance for hollows to have their own little empire for a while before the end