Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Astora Greatsword is dope. zweihander moveset and A scaling in both Int and Faith when +6 Chaos or Dark? yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

poptart_fairy posted:

Yhorm's a surprisingly tragic dude.
yeah that gimmick was pretty heartbreaking

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kanos posted:

Guard break attacks like the straight sword art R1 and the kick don't automatically break guards, they just do abnormally large amounts of stamina damage based on the stability of the shield. There's a fight in that video where a dude does like 6 guard break kicks in a row into the shield and barely budges tankdude's stam bar, nevermind guard breaks him, so a straight sword R1 would likely do the same.

When he says shield piercing attacks, he means stuff like Shotel R2s that explicitly completely ignore shield damage reduction, but even those are likely going to be somewhat ineffective since shotel damage kind of blows and greatshield dude is a titanic fatass of a character with a million vigor and vitality so he's just going to crush you to death before you can laboriously shotel poke him.
Doesn't the estoc have a move that ignores shield like that

dark souls 3 pvp endgame right now is just havels greatshield vs. estoc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah.. Hardest bosses lol.. Ancient Dragon huh?
Ancient Dragon isn't a hard fight, it's just a long and unfun fight

Shine posted:

They nailed the boss fights this time around. I love how so many of the bosses have a really cool environment (Nameless, Dragonslayer Armour and the final boss, in particular), mid-fight set piece moment (Curse-Rotted Greatwood collapsing the ground), satisfying damage effect (Wolnir's shattering rings, busting Greatwood's balls), or Mega Man-like super weakness ("Plunging attack," Yhorm, Abyss Walkers aggroing on each other, probably others I haven't seen yet). It makes those encounters feel distinct, like true "boss" encounters.
I agree with all of this except I can't say anything positive about Yhorm whatsoever. That fight is really bad because using the special weapon is the only reasonable(aka not shitballs slow) way to kill it, which makes it very one-note. every other boss you use the weapons and abilities you've been building up over the course of the game and choosing for yourself, and getting the satisfaction of using your build you've made to kill things is a big part of what makes the game fun, bosses especially because it's when you get to deal out a lot of damage. then Yhorm is just like "oh use this one specific weapon we set here for you and trivialize the boss" which is the antithesis of something like Dark Souls imo

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 24, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fists are not very good in this game because they're not fast, they have poo poo range, and they don't have great damage or hitstun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw

Apparently poise is turned off either intentionally or unintentionally. You can hack a value to a 1 and make it work.
jesus christ fromsoft

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Having to find shortcuts that bring the world together in more interesting ways than the other souls games because there's no warping so they need to link together areas in ways that make sense spatially in neat ways makes ds1's level design/exploring way more cool

sen's fortress owns

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BillmasterCozb posted:

you're a worse liar than Patches
It's great though. It has a fun enemy set and timing your way through the traps is cool and fun.

Also, invading there owns.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BillmasterCozb posted:

Maybe for you. I think it's one of the worst, right ahead of Lost Izalith, gently caress lost izalith
Why, though? Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins are like, pretty much straightup unfinished and full of the awful lava gimmick.

Like the traps in Sen's Fortress are all timing based stuff(go past the cleaver at the right moment, roll through the arrows at the right moment, go past where the giant firebomb lands at the right moment) which is a great logical extension of Dark Soul's timing based combat and mixing that in with enemies like the snakemen on the walkways(who, of course, you can trick into getting hit by those same traps) adds an extra layer to everything. And like has already been said, it's a great/goofy area for invasions and once you learn the ins and outs you can go through it really fast, which I think is a sign of a good area.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao at the preview

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

I wouldn't bet on nothing just yet, since you can poise through attacks just fine using heavy weapons, so it might affect their hyper armor just like in DS2. It might affect poise weapon arts as well. It doesn't appear to have any effect in neutral stance though.
That's not poise, that's specific moves having armor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah.

btw I knew the carthus bloodring was great but I didn't know it was "literally more than halve your vulnerable roll frames" great lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also poise being just sort of turned off, despite there being a lot of items which are supposed to interact with it and are now pointless(along with heavy armor in general)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ZenVulgarity posted:

Which weapons are good for bleed builds
Warden Twinblades+carthus rouge to buff it up further is basically the best.

example

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 26, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Farron flashsword is a cool spell for PvP with a weapon that can cast for finishing off dudes on low HP.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

double nine posted:

Tried both whips out for a while and I'm very disappointed. Not a lot of damage output and it keeps you wide open for attacks far too long.
The witch's locks are ok with their weapon art since it has crazy range and stays out a while so you can catch rolls with it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

voltron lion force posted:

If there is one thing that bugs me, from a mechanics standpoint, its that the ring effects seem really neutered.
well, Carthus Bloodring is insane at least

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tenzarin posted:

+6, shields are not that good because blocking sucks in this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09xmhsvIuU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Emalde posted:

The irony of statements like these is palpable. :v:
Is it actually?

voltcatfish posted:

does bloodborne have invasions
yeah

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shakill OReal posted:

I've been watching videos of this build for a while and what do they do when someone kicks them? All of the videos conveniently never show it happening.
beaten, but this very video you quoted shows it happening, right here, and the kicker actually loses more stamina than the person holding the havel's, who loses a totally insignificant amount and will basically never get guardbroken.

also all attacks I've seen that pierce shields are slow enough that they're easily punishable by the shielddude(running attack with havel's is actually really fast).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mastershakeman posted:

Are the carthus rolling rings a trap? Any time I get hit I take huge damage and I can't quite tell how much I'm benefiting.
carthus blood ring changes your rolls from 14/9(invulnerable/vulnerable frames) to :siren: 19/4 :siren:(aka more than halving your vulnerable frames on roll), and only makes you take 15% more damage. it's super worth it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Invasions own actually and they're the coolest when you are by yourself just trying to get by and an invader shows up and you're scared shitless. that makes it meaningful

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MrLonghair posted:

Have you experienced the retarded horror of hosts 360 degree parries yet? Host with the back to the invader, host has lag advantage, L2, turn around, snikt.
pretty sure parries always actually have a 360 degree hitbox

Internet Kraken posted:

Every video I've seen of Bloodborne PvP looks like tedious bullshit because of how easy it is to heal. Its like DS3 only worse.
yeah even with the bullets it's virtually impossible to punish healing at all in bloodborne.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
With how fast healing is it's not really reasonable to parry blood vials with online latency, unless you're lucky and have a really good connection

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

net cafe scandal posted:

HEavy armor only needs an absorption buff because DS1 poise is rear end and turned PVP Into too much of a numbers game.
hosed up that considering numbers could give you an edge in an RPG

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GulagDolls posted:

working as intended
it's actually not very good 'cause you can literally just roll out of it, it doesn't do that much hitstun

the people in that video just aren't for some reason

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Melanion posted:

I meant in terms of finding your images/posting them anywhere but your steam profile or social media. If you're going to dump a game's screenshots into a folder with a load of nonsense numbers for a name, give me an 'open screenshot folder' button.
it's right there on the screenshot uploader. "show on disk"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're not trying to stop your progress if they're a red signer though. You have to activate it to let them in.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GulagDolls posted:

this is an argument in favor of giving the invader more advantages
*any advantages

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's one of the Big Smart Words. like "objectively"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0bdxbLVzhs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_mMMJ3K__M

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

turtlecrunch posted:

scooby doo followed by old gross pope sex
honestly chameleon is the funniest loving thing of all time and it has been ever since ds1 because, like

they just let you turn into props and move around, just slide around with no animation whatsoever. it's such a janky thing in any other game it would be something players stuck in with mods, or only in via debug or something. but it's just part of the game. be a pot and slide across the ground completely silently.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

[x]

[x]

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That's the magical thing about invasions as a zero sum game (as opposed to DS2's dueling covenants): if the invader is having fun, the host is frustrated about twinked out jerks. If the host is having fun, the invader comes around and bitches how he can't be a dick.
it's actually usually fun for both people when it's not a total gankfest

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
smdh if you don't have fun getting invaded and fighting the invader 1v1 while "just trying to complete the game"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

What game are you playing where invaders don't run away to estus behind 5 mobs.
that's what makes it fun, friend. the tension between two people trying to bullshit each other. trying to pull the host into mobs, trying to stomp the invader with a tree of giants when he's surrounded by mobs, whatever. it's all fun and good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

We're specifically talking about 1v1, so awww you keep telling yourself how you're fighting the hard fight as a poor red invader buddy :allears:
host still has double the estus man. and also I wasn't really talking about it being balanced anyways when I said it was fun, I was saying that it's fun and it being kind of a chaotic mess is a big part of why it's fun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RoadCrewWorker posted:

and oh no! they're actually playing it wrong and actually not having fun at all unless they specifically do the thing
Yes, this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

No I totally agree but none of that actually changes when a host summons. It still stays a chaotic mess, it just means that now the host has the upper hand and we have to deal with it.
I think it swings it too far over in that direction. When there's not that big of a disparity I think it's a much more enjoyable level of nonsense, for both sides. heck even if it's just 1v2 or 2v3, I'm fine with that.

it'd be cool if, when someone has 2 summons, the game would first pair up invaders and then dump them in against those 3 together so it was always at least 2v3 instead of 1v3.