Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

Correct. And at this time tomorrow it should be the only open Dark Souls III thread.

It's kind of bad for min/maxing due to having >7 luck, since you only want luck if you're going to do a luck-centered build. Starting naked is also actually more difficult now because defense has a greater effect at mitigating damage than it did in previous games. It does start with the club though, which has a rad Skill.

that is awesome that armor may actually mean something now, instead of just having another round of fashion souls

How important/not important is luck? I do like to collect items in the Souls series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GreyPowerVan posted:

well you can go a build that scales damage off of luck

Naaaaah I want to be a knightly dude with heavy armor and a heavier weapon and an even heavier shield.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Surely there is a fix out there for the ambient sound constantly being reset/interrupted whenever another sound plays? I checked the OP, and Google, but I couldn't find an answer. I'm talking about, for example, the sound of wind blowing in the background, and then doing something like open up the menu. The menu sound plays, the background sound restarts. It's really jarring.

Since this is a console thread too, specs I guess. Win10, nvidia gtx980ti, Soundblaster Z with current drivers, all the other hardware pretty much is way beyond the recommendations for DS3.

Node fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 30, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The Artorias fight is more perfect than perfect. I can't imagine anybody, including From, that could top it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Okay, does anyone on the PC know why the game will randomly freeze? It'll be running fine at 60fps, then drop to 0fps for a couple seconds, then back to 60, back to 0, etc. It's almost unplayable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
poo poo. I killed the handmaiden in the shrine. This is the first time I've (accidentally) killed an NPC in a Souls game.

So she respawned and jacked her prices up, and now I have sin according to the statue of Velka. Does having sin make me prone to invasions from certain covenants? And did I gently caress myself out of a certain ending by killing her?

I'm asking here instead of Googling because its way too easy to read a spoiler you weren't looking for.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Iretep posted:

theres no blue cop invaders in ds3. blue cops only appear when you invade someone to protect the host.

Ok, thanks. Any idea if that screws up an ending? Spoiler free, pretty please.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
is there a way to cheese the pontiff fight, because this is stupid + boring

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Summoning Gottard makes it much easier.

I've summoned him twice and all he does is stand in front of him, never dodge, and die. I'm running out of embers.

mary had a little clam posted:

2 Summons if you took the 5 dark signs, friend

I only see one, probably because I had the fire keeper cleanse my dark sigil. That sounds like a medical procedure.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

mary had a little clam posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you can get Gotthard, Londor Pale Shade, and... Anri? on this fight? I feel like you could get up to 3 if you did storyline stuff correctly?

I probably haven't done the story right. I've talked to Anri two times, and Londor Pale Shade recently invaded me so I assume he/she won't help.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've been reading through some of the NPC quests as best as I can without spoiling, but god drat, its so easy to lock quests out because you defeated a boss. I think I've prematurely ended Sirris' and Andri's quests.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Okay two questions. They are real simple and should be SUPER EASY to answer.

1) How do I get competent at pvp? I like to play as a heavy armor/weapons kinda guy, which doesn't seem to work since everybody is lunging forward with (what I assume is) an estoc.

2) How do I get good at parrying? I've played 400 hours, each, of DS1 and 2 and I'm always pissed off that I never got the hang of parrying and I think its time I learned how. I can't reliably parry a hollow.

Node fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 2, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Does the giant armored fatass in High Wall of Lothric have a unique drop?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Quick question: I got the old cell key in the Ilrythil Dungeon, but I haven't found what unlocks the 2 doors in the first area of that dungeon, and I do not even know where Siegward's cell is. Do I get to take care of those later, after the Profane Capital bonfire? Or did I miss something earlier?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Its been a while since I Sunbro'd. I know you need to be within level range of the host, but do you also need to have your world's boss alive to be able to assist others in their respective boss? Or are you free to kill your world's boss?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I was walking down the large bridge to Lothric Castle proper, when out of no where 2 titanite chunks and 2 embers appeared on my screen. What happened? Did something fall to their death?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

Only thing I can think of is both of the Pus of Man-infected dragons dying at once. Sounds like a glitch.

The two at the Dragon Barracks? They're long since dead. Weird.

Does anything refer to those things as Pus of Man? I'm nearing the end of the game, but so far I haven't seen anything that calls those that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Iretep posted:

Because the current STR meme sword is the dual ultra greatswords. Its kind of outshadowing it.
As far as Dark souls lore, i remember reading that there isnt supposed to directly be good or evil in this. Fire is the "good" but it more represents strength than anything. Dark is its opposite but its not directly evil, just the opposite of fire.

You witness the Dark ending's consequences when you go to Untended Graves. Its pretty tranquil. I'd say its a great ending!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Are the Blue Sentinels bugged? Half the time, I don't get a proof of concord kept.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I found this thread while searching for "raw rear end"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

The other Dark Souls had good DLCs when it came to lore though? AotA explained a lot of things surrounding the past of Lordran and SOTFS added a new ending that really helped the game thematically. Even base DS2 had the DLC tie into the base game with answers regarding the Daughters of Manus. AoA and the Ringed City mostly created entirely new plots and answered questions that people already thought were answered (dark soul and the pygmies) or just made up entirely new ones (the Ringed City was mentioned nowhere before this DLC).

Both Dark Souls 1 and 2 had great DLCs. For quality, I think Artorias of the Abyss stands above them all, but I had more fun with the three DLCs that 2 offered. The Artorias boss fight is probably the best in the game, in terms mostly of lore, as well as a little mechanics. His scream at the end is bone chilling. Each DLC in Dark Souls 2 had gimmicks, but they were entertaining gimmicks in my own experience. Plus they all had the optional extra difficult content at the end. gently caress those flying lightning bolt shooting horses that you can't see in the blizzard. gently caress those guys hard.

Ariandel is okay so far but it isn't as engaging as previous DLCs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
So uh, I was just summoned as a blue spirit to help two host of embers. The red phantom comes out, and after taking some hits, does the stance-R1 attack for the Old Wolf Greatsword. It instantly takes us from full health to zero. I'm guessing that is a cheater unless there is some way to do that ridiculous amount of damage? He didn't have low enough health to have the red tear ring active or anything. I have about 1200 health.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

The Old Wolf Curved Sword grants a Carthus Beacon-like effect for consecutive hits. If he was hitting multiple people he could likely send his damage spiraling, especially if he was using a Flynn's + Pontiff's build.

I'm not sure what any of this means yet but I'll take your word for it, thanks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

To simplify: Carthus Beacon is a Pyromancy spell that makes you gain increased damage after you hit with a certain number of consecutive attacks (changes depending on the weapon used), stacking up to 15%. Pontiff's Right Eye is a ring that has a similar effect, and the Old Wolf Curved Sword does something similar, although I dunno if the Sword has a cap or not. Flynn's Ring boosts your AR depending on your current equipped weight. Basically, someone with minimal weight and those two rings can deal an absolute truckload of damage if they hit multiple targets. Most "serious" invaders use builds like that (which either deal a massive amount of burst damage or which can hit multiple targets effortlessly), since the alternative is them getting chumped by 2-3 phantoms and a host regularly.

I see. Thanks. I wish someone in heavy armor can be just as dangerous as someone that deals truckloads of damage.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nakar posted:

Maldron's Ivory King appearance is probably the most sublime poo poo I've ever seen. He trolls in Old Iron King, but he steps his game up to a level even very good player trolls don't manage in Ivory King.

I completely fell for Maldron the first time I encountered him in Ivory King. I laughed a lot at the YOU DIED and him doing the decapitate gesture at me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
DS1's pvp is pretty much 99% backstabs and wrath of the gods.

Still an amazing game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Genocyber posted:

My guess is that that invader was running a hyper mode build. Low health to get Red Tearstone Ring and possibly Morion Blade buffs. That's usually the answer if you take way more damage than you ought to be from an invader.

He didn't have low enough health for the red tearstone to be active. He did the stance-R1 attack, the one where you swing the blade in a circle low to the ground a couple times. It killed all three of us in one swing. So either he had the perfect setup, or was cheating, since none of his other attacks hurt so much. If he wasn't cheating, which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of, that is just silly.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
God damnit I finally got the demon prince to 1% health and then died. Is there a better way to deal damage to this dude? I only swing for 166 on him with a fully upgraded old wolf greatsword, and decent strength/dex.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nuebot posted:

Hit him in the face. Get visceral attacks.

Repeat like five times.

Also make sure you fight the laser form unless you hate yourself.

Visceral attacks? You mean like when they stumble to the ground and become vulnerable? I see the Prince do that after I interrupt his super fireball, but the game doesn't let me do the special attack unlike the two demons before him.

And what laser form?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Yeah I got the laser form this time, that was much easier. Now I need to find a Ring of Arrow Protection +99

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
You can parry the loving dragon?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How do you dodge Midir's attack where it strafes the entire arena with fire? I've tried running into him since it only spews it one direction but it never works.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tarezax posted:

The flying one? When facing him, run to the left. He always spews fire towards your right.

I swear I have done exactly that and have only gotten roasted each time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I knew there'd be a second phase, I knew it. I can get Midir down to around 25%, but by that point, it usually does its pew pew laser breath barrage on the entire arena and kills me in one hit. How do you handle that attack? I've tried running towards it and attacking, trying to interrupt it, but I never make it in time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bogart posted:

What is yall's favorite boss fight in Dark Souls (+ Bloodborne)? I think my favorites might be Artorias, the Burnt Ivory King, the Champion Gundyr, and Gehrmann.

From 1, Artorias easily. The way he swings at you with his one good arm, when you only later realize he was doing that because he sacrificed his shield and broke his arm protecting Sif. If Artorias had both of his arms working when you fought him, he'd annihilate you. The music fits it too. You feel bad for the guy, because he was trying to save the world from the abyss, but he had to be stopped since he became corrupted in the process.

Tupac and Biggie are a second place probably.

From 2, it's either Alonne or the Ivory King. Alonne is great because you're rewarded with a seppuku if you kill him without ever being hit. The Ivory King has a very nice buildup to it, and his story parallels Artorias in many ways. He went to fight the abyss, only to have it consume him. When you finally battle through the demons with your Loyce Knight bros and see him step out of the portal to gently caress you up, it gives you goosebumps.

3. Dunno yet, haven't beaten it. The Nameless King is probably the most impressive looking battle I've ever seen in a Souls game. It's pretty visceral when you're running away from Gwyn's Son a guy riding a dragon, circling around you, preparing to throw a lightning spear at you in a thunderstorm.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nuebot posted:

A full on roguelike mod that randomizes enemy and boss placements would be crazy fun, if unfeasable. I really want to see Oceiros go dashing off the cliff in Gundyr's arena.

I have this crazy fantasy where From releases a Sword of Moonlight editor for their Souls games like they did for King's Field.

Crazy. But amazing. Mostly crazy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
One thing I really like about the boss battles in 3 is how the music is dynamic. I'm pretty sure the other Souls games don't do this. When a boss reaches a new stage, the music changes to something usually more powerful or dramatic, and its a seamless transition. That means they had to record two tracks for every boss with two stages. That really impressed me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you're ever an invader or something that has a view perpendicular to an Alonne Knight, you'll see how ridiculous their run animation is. It's absurd.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

How would you rate it on a scale of 1-5 Falconers

I don't remember those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I must be the only person who doesn't make character "builds." I just keep leveling up. I know you'll eventually get out of level range, but RPGs are always about getting more powerful for me.

Whats a good greatsword and ultra greatsword for a beginner at pvping? The Claymore has a nice poke with both one and two handed, but I'm not sure about ultra greatswords. The Fume UGS WOULD have been a favorite but the moveset has been changed to a generic one instead of the awesome set it had in DS2. Its one handed R1R1 was a vertical slash followed by a horizontal slash, and the two handed R2 was that unique attack that briefly blocks attacks during the beginning.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 13, 2017