Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so the untended graves were clearly meant to show the player what the true cost of failure in their task would come down to. the entire "world" has turned black and lifeless and only the most desperate hollowed dregs find ways to cling to their unlife, in the unhollowed graves, the bell of awakening never went off, so the great unkindled summons never took place, and by the time gundyr had finally found firelink in this timeline it was already far too late - this timeline is dead and the age of dark is 100% complete. his whole purpose now is to take the bonfire sword and stab himself with it and hope that the transitory properties of the bonfire sword will pull him into another world on the brink of disaster, but a world that he can still change, and so he breaks the firepit blade off from the firelink shirine in his dead world and takes it back to his chamber and impales himself with it, hoping the next time someone comes around needing the bonfire sword, he'll wake up in a different world / time where there;s still time time to fix what went wrong, essentially he wants your player character to lose the first match at the beginning so that he can take the fire sword back and prove he is the worthy unkindled undeaded that will save the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i feel like there's definite areas of the geography that are part of a contingent whole, and then other areas that got mashed together because lothric is the transitory land of time travel whatever.

lothric high wall down to undead town and road of sacrifice and the upper swamp and cathedral of the deep were all part of a coherent world.

it feels like farron's is mashed into that world from somewhere else - you climb down a ladder from a swamp and now you've in evil swamp 2.0, but that's a really lovely and arbitrary geography transition, whereas the rest of the geography from undead town to road of sacrifices to cathedral is all natural and more or less makes sense.

after farron's, i feel like the catacombs / carthus are also mashed from somewhere else, and it really doesn't make much sense that geography would be swamp > go down a ladder > poison swamp 2.0 > go down some stairs > bown town > go down more stairs > entirely new biosphere where it's winter time.

from that, i think farron's and carthus got mashed between the road of sacrifice and irithyll but that originally there wouldn't have been anything separating irithyll from the undead town and lothric. obviously the undead town and the chapel are all about worshiping aldrich, so they need to have contact with each other, and other things you find in lothric castle seem to imply that irithyll and lothric were at least aware of each other, if not evil allies in cooperation.

i think anor londo got mashed into irithyll, or rather the pontiff and aldrich figured out how to summon anor londo and force it to anchor itself to the back of the pontiff's chapel. this is how aldrich gets to eat gwendolyn, but i also think this is how oceiros was able to learn about seath and i also think the "queen" of lothric that was disappeared after she gave birth to her final son was priscilla the crossbreed and i think oceiros was basically doing forced breeding experiments with her, much like how priscilla was an experiment from seath and gwynevere.

boiling lake under carthus is clearly lost izalith, and the skeletal army is doing what it can to try and keep them from spreading out like a plague. i'm not sure if the ghru are breaking into izalith looking for power or if they're breaking out and flooding back into the swamp; my guess, based on item description lore, is that as the descendants of the AW, the AW originally went down to boiling lake to try and keep fighting the abyss and the taint from the chaos flame is what turned the AW into the ghru. this kind of explains why the ghru are now guarding farron's, but i'm still unclear why there's about 3 dark wraiths in the whole game (not counting the one trapped in lothric wall jail) and they're all in farron's and they're ostensibly trying to break into the AW fight.

past irithyll dungeon, i think the profaned capital is another world that got mashed into lothric. yhorm looks like he's sitting behind what could be his world's lord vessel, and although he isn't in the kiln of the first flame, he could he sitting in whatever his world's version of the flame kiln looked like. his area is the shortest, assuming you're just looking at the part that involves fighting him, so there's not a lot to speculate about. he clearly is still a human / humanoid (see cut-scene with siegward) even though he is huge, but that could be a unique effect of how his lordship has changed him (like aldrich being some kind of poop naga or whatever he's supposed to be).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

8-Bit Scholar posted:

there's no real evidence or reason for Lothric and Ithyll to be neighbors

i believe the existence of the undead town and the chapel of the deep, along with oceiros and the consumed king's garden area pretty clearly indicate that lothric and irithyll were at least aware of each other, if not in direct contact. it'd be pretty weird to explain all of the explicit worship of aldrich that the undead town and the road of sacrifice and the church of the deep serves if irithyll was just some theoretical place that might exist, maybe, like heaven. remember that hawkwood literally tells you at one point that aldrich started as a human cannibal, then he got way too fat from eating people and his form lost cohesion, then he got bored with eating people anyway and thought gently caress it, let's try eating gods. my guess is aldrich originally served as the head pontiff or whatever in the chapel of the deep and the road of sacrifice is a literal thing meaning "this is the awful path we march people down from the undead town to the chapel so that they can be eaten". when he got bored with being just a regular cannibal, he reached out to pontiff sulyvahn in irithyll and they both figured out how to anchor anor londo so they could capture a god and aldrich could try eating one of those. i don't know if aldrich became a lord of cinder before or after eating said god; my guess is before, but i can't find anything in the items or dialogue to show that.

anyway, there's also no way that the consumed king would be the consumed king if lothric and irithyll weren't in contact with each other. he at least had to have access to irithyll after aldrich and the pontiff anchored the other place into the pontiff's church, because the consumed king has to pillage knowledge about seath to start down his own path of madness.

in both cases, lothric and irithyll have to be in contact with each other. maybe not everyday people / undead, but the higher-ups definitely knew about each other.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

definitely had the impassable boss fog bug where the sunbro i picked up couldn't get into the arena with me. amazingly, the boss still aggroed him outside the arena, ran up to the fog door, and smashed his axe out THROUGH the fog door and one shot the poor guy. the sunbro didn't even get to help, and he still got smeared across the pavement. PC DS3 is just a cavalcade of loving foolishness and FROM should be ashamed of this horseshit

in other news, i was thinking to myself during one of my hundreds of death reel runs between bonfires and a boss room, what's the loving point of putting a bonfire any further than literally right outside the boss door? every zone eventually allows you to open sufficient shortcuts that you can run all the way to the boss room without having to fight any monsters, and at that point all the run is doing is just adding 30 - 60 seconds of busy work onto my next 15 seconds of actual time spent fighting the boss until, whoops, mistimed a dodge, now one hit took my entire health bar, gently caress got to reload to the bonfire and run back again!

during my many death reel runs, i also started to compare the bosses in DS1/2 on a fresh NG to the bosses in DS3, and i came to the conclusion that the DS3 bosses just deal way more loving damage, across the board. unless i have somehow gotten worse with more practice over time, i distinctly remember being able to beat the majority of the bosses in DS1/2 solo, and with far fewer retries than any individual DS3 boss has taken me.

were DS1/2 that much more forgiving in their boss design? it really feels like bosses in DS3 punish the poo poo out of a single mistake, to the point where missing a single dodge or block is good enough that you might as well just let them kill you and restart the whole fight.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Vermain posted:

Damage is a lot higher across the board, sometimes to outrageous degrees. The Pontiff Knight's ice slash was doing something like 400~ damage on my Knight, which is what you'd expect from getting hit by a goddamn Great Club R2 or something. Pontiff Sulyvahn took that same character to a small trickle of HP if I hosed up a single dodge during his flurry.

i feel like whatever internal math is used to figure out how much damage enemies deal to players got the decimal point moved one place to the right accidentally. it's the only thing i can think that explains why everything hits about as hard as vendrick/fume knight from the entirety of DS2. like, regular hollow enemies can 2-3 shot you with the same speed that end-game boss encounters would from the prior game in the series.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MrLonghair posted:

Optional boss Scaleless oval office #2 was never this much of a phase 2 oval office in the Japanese version. The second or third patch made it a worse than Bloodborne's worst nightmare if you're not with shitloads of Vitality so you can armour the hell up and also use 100% shields and can allocate most of your Estus towards health. #justcasterthings #magelivesmatter

i was not amused when the second boss in the game had a phase 2, and then the third boss, and then loving every single boss had a phase 2. it stops being an interesting mechanic when it's just how bosses work now. like that was one of the defining moments of the fume knight fight in DS2, his second phase was a real challenge. now every goddamn boss fight is a 2 parter and it just makes the whole game a slog. okay game, i get it, every fight i'm going to breeze through the first 50% of the health bar no problem, and then i'm going to have 20-ish deaths figuring out all of the different insta-kill moves that phase 2 picks up, which often do neat things like clip through solid terrain, or track me behind the boss, or have hit boxes that clearly extend beyond the visual display of the attack animation. what an intense dark souls experience this is!

i was also thinking, what do you sequence break in ds3? like in ds1 you could obviously do a lot of weird poo poo (especially if you took the master key as your gift) and for as much poo poo as people gave ds2 about being linear, you at least had control over what order you wanted to go after the lord souls, but ds3 feels the most linear out of the whole series. outside of just skipping zones like boiling lake, it's not like you can do the road of sacrifice first and then go back and do lothric high wall.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Genocyber posted:

Wow, what a stupid complaint. "Oh, the bosses are more complex, better designed, and not pushovers. This loving sucks."

i know this was a minute ago, but every boss having the same general pattern (phase 1 i do this / phase 2 i do this) is not better design. it is dumb design if you can count on it happening every encounter because it stops being an interesting surprise and just becomes an expected mechanic. it would be okay if some bosses just had a series of variable attacks that they used well and you just fought them and that was the challenge. ancient wyvern and wolnir were probably the most fun boss fights, because they was something other than "generally square-ish arena where boss waits for you and boss has a phase 1 and phase 2 mode that is triggered by health loss".

it is also bad design when bosses can do things that they should not, like clip through solid terrain, or have hit boxes that don't match their animations, or other kinds of fuckery. this is independent of (almost) every boss following the same pattern of behavior, but i think you missed that before.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Chard posted:

Yhorm is basically "did you play Demon's Souls?: Boss Edition" huh? Cool.

it's supposed to be like that, only the gimmick sword takes too long to charge up, like just longer than yhorm's recovery period between attacks, so it got really dicey trying to find time to charge up the weapon and then shoot it and then charge it again between him swinging his one hit kill hatchet around like a crazy person.

oh also your buddy who joins you and everyone is like "he's easy mode he'll solo the boss for you" yeah he died while i was running up to the throne and dicking around in the menu trying to equip the gimmick weapon. i have no idea why everyone was so pumped for him to be in the fight, because he died before i could close back out of the equipment menu.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i was looking at the fextralife guide for the gestures achievement because i'm coming up on the end of the game and i was curious how many i managed to find on my own up to this point, and while i found quite a few, there's several that i saw that i can think of no way that you would find legitimately on your own, outside of just having extraordinary dumb luck, or just purchasing a guide. for the fancy bow, you have to be embered in farron's before you kill AW, get invaded by some NPC and kill her, then zip back to rosaria and give her a tongue (?) then go back to farron's and summon the NPC from a friendly summon sign and get the gesture? so you basically have to do at least 90% of the chapel of the deep, then stop and go back to farron's in ember mode, find what is likely an unremarkable invader (and possibly not even something you'd be looking for, give the pvp activity in the area) then go back to cood and burn a covenant reward item, and then go back to farron's one more time and look for a regular summon sign for the same NPC invader that you just killed. all without killing AW by accident because you're just exploring around. oh also, this would basically prevent you from doing sirris quest line in the same play through, because the safest way to complete her poo poo is to play all the way through to irithyll without ever interacting with the rosaria covenant at all, and by spending a tongue at rosaria as part of getting this gesture, you permanently piss sirris off.

like seriously how the gently caress was anyone supposed to find that out by experimentation / trial & error?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

lol i might be done with the game because the game has decided i am done. i'm in the archives, presently under some overhang where the crystal wizard is doing her thing and some wax dudes are also making GBS threads blue lasers at me. if i move out from under the awning, there's a 50% chance my game gives me a hard CTD. if i manage to fight my way out but die for any reason, i get a CTD on the loading screen. if i try to homeward bone out, i get a CTD on the loading screen. once i got lucky enough to fight my way out, the game didn't give me a hard CTD, i made it up further into the archives, opened some other short cuts, and was doing a frantic rooftop zig-zag chase with some gargoyles when the game decided again to CTD. when i loaded it back up? right back under that loving awning!

interesting, every time i have to alt+F4 or ctrl+alt+del out of DS3, when i load back up, there's no vaguely threatening message about the game not closing properly. i've had two random CTDs in all my 40+ hours of playtime prior to this, and both times when i reloaded the game, there was some ominous message like "if you don't shut down the game properly we might softban your poo poo you ungrateful little gently caress" but with this CTD situation in the archives, the game just seems happy to infinitely loop me through CTDs with no recourse.

anyone else get something like this?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Giant Isopod posted:

So, anyone who has been running by the ambushing wyvern before the bell level in archdragon peak its worth taking the time to plink it with arrows. Gives 6 chunks as well as a handful of scales and twinkling. Biggest single upgrade pinata yet.

since the first time you fight that boss it's more of an environment hazard challenge and you can do a mad rush through the level and eventually get to a point where you can kill it with one shot, i thought the second encounter was going to be the same thing. naturally i start running past it, weaving through the hallways, and find this huge bell with a lever. i don't bother to stop and read any of the orange signs because gently caress it this beast is chasing me who has time to stop and read he'll kill me while i am reading and they probably say something dumb like "try tongue but hole". little did i know that ringing the bell would solve the encounter, but not in the way i was imagining! you do not get his loot if you try to beat the encounter that way.

basically the second time you fight that boss, if you want his loot, you have to actually fight him.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Giant Isopod posted:

You can still go back and fight him after ringing the bell fyi, you just have to kill the 2nd area boss first to make the storm go away.

i have no idea how anyone would know this since the second area boss is actually unbeatable, but i'll take your word for it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Enemies are excessively fast, even the ones that look, act, and feel ponderous.

that's definitely something that bugs me. there's almost no slow enemies. everything is at least as fast as you, and probably a good deal faster, even if the enemy model looks like it should be this large, lumbering thing that takes time moving around.

i guess that's one way to fix the "circle strafe w/ shield up > backstab > win game" problem from ds1 & 2. if every monster moves at turbo speed, you don't really ever have the chance to try and circle behind them.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the problem is that DS1/2 enemies were TOO predictable.

it was definitely trivial to backstab your way through the basic fodder hollows in DS1/2 without even really trying. by comparison, through my entire first run, the only pve enemies i have successfully intentionally backstabbed are the three ghru guys that sit outside the farron's outskirts bonfire while trying to (unsuccessfully) farm wolf grass off them, because they will literally sit in place until your model is bumping up against theirs. i haven't been able to get behind any other enemy almost at all, much less try something like a backstab.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the ending boss was pretty fun and a good example of phase changes done in an interesting way, until he does his second health bar and just goes banzai, that was stupid. but prior to that, i thought it was cool how they tried to implement all of the different play styles into an encounter.

also, for the ending, i figured out like 75% of the usurpation ending on my own before finding the rest of it on fextralife, so by that point i figured what the hell, might as well do that. i hit all the steps, got married, etc. and of course the guiding NPC at the end of the process is like "when the time comes you'll know what to do". when i had finished the final boss, my options were to "link the fire" or "summon the fire keeper" with no real third option to take the fire for my own hollowed rear end. i summoned the fire keeper because that was the obvious not-linking-the-fire, but of course that got me a different ending. what am i supposed to do to get the usurpation ending? i take it i shouldn't have given the firekeeper the eyes from the bizarro firelink shrine in the untended graves nor summoned her after the final boss, but what was i supposed to click on to actually get the hollow ending? was i supposed to just walk out of the arena?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

turtlecrunch posted:

^For whatever reason the fire still says "Link the Fire" to pick the third ending. A different cutscene plays though.

this fuckin' game. NPC quest triggers will break if you breath too quickly while thinking about an NPC, and when you do try to set all the pins up, the best instruction you get is "you'll know what to do". no yuria of londor, i am clearly too dumb to know what to do. if you don't spell it out for me, i will assume that what is literally written on the button prompt (link the fire) is what will actually happen, because that is true for every other scripted interaction in the game.

edit: it'd be like if there was a button prompt in front of a closed door that said (A: open door) and when you clicked on it instead of opening the door, your character warped to the beginning of the level and their current health was set to 1 and your estus flask count was set to 0 and all of your bonfires were reset to locked.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 22, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bass Bottles posted:

Man, you can't roll through the dancer's grab attack? You just have to actually be physically far away from her when she does it?

Probably died to it at least 10 times now.

her grab is pretty janky and it seems like the hitbox for it is much larger than her animation would indicate. i could never avoid it by rolling towards her or to her side because she steps forward and grabs in an arc when she does the grab. the only way i could avoid it was to roll backwards 2x as soon as you see her start to do kind of a snake slither dance move. it's the only tell i recognized that the grab was coming; she also doesn't do anything with her sword arm when she goes for the grab.

it's basically a one-hit kill "try the fight again :downs:" move unless you've been stacking health like crazy and you're embered and you're also at full health when she grabs you. if you have a phantom with you and they get grabbed you're pretty much guaranteed that they are dead.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell happened here?

against all odds you got summoned as a blue cop :confused:

clearly the game is loving up something fierce. blue cop covenant isn't supposed to do anything

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i have to ask, because i can't find this information on fextralife - what is a vicious attack and how do i execute one? i keep seeing people talk about them like they're a thing, and i've certainly poise broken a fair number of bosses (hello executioner's greatsword) but when the boss is in the stunned animation, me wailing on them with my weapon never did a special one-hit-kill animation or anything. is it only certain monsters with certain weapons or something? i have no idea what i am supposed to be doing if i get a boss into a stun pose other than just chop chop chop away but i sure would like to know.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

WrightOfWay posted:

Fist weapons were garbage in DS1, pretty great in 2 and garbage in 3. Most things that were bad in 1 that got buffed in 2 are back to being terrible again.

man, ain't that the truth. personally i can't believe that the "all the rings" achievement made it into the full game when it counts +1/+2 versions of the same rings as separate entities and yet ascetics aren't a thing that exists. how does that even

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

voltcatfish posted:

why are there still no npcs as cool as solaire in any souls successor

you have awful opinions FEEBLE CURSED ONE

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do I beat the Lothric Princes I'm at Level 96 but can't hack them. The first form is easy but second form is where I have trouble. Could a slow weapon be the problem? I'm wielding the Hollowslayer sword or something similar.

i found it helpful to realize that the older brother's move's don't change a great deal in round 2 (they deal more damage) but if you get gud at dodging or blocking them in round 1, he stays pretty predictable. younger bro just does dumb stuff with spells, but the glitter arrows will get blocked by the pillars in the room, so if you see him casting those you can try and put a pillar between you until they all whiff. in round 2, if older bro does his big teleport slash, younger bro always casts a big magic missile in roughly the same facing / direction but about 3 seconds delayed, so you roll to dodge the slash, and then pretty much just roll again and you dodge both the slash and the magic missile. and when the younger bro does the healing move, don't get greedy, because the heal is a heal and a damage AoE, so get like a hit or two in and then back off.

also it's possible if you use a big enough weapon (like your great sword) and you stick on their butt during round 2, you can actually hurt younger bro while he rides around master blaster style. the fight is over once younger bro dies, and if you can tag him enough times you can actually end the fight soon-ish just by killing him first.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

skasion posted:

So Oceiros is just delusional right? At first he is making a cradling motion with his arm and talking to his kid, but as you damage him he starts to flip out and realize that Revolver Ocelotte (Revolver Ocelotte) is not actually present. When he goes full quadruped he has obviously realized that there was nobody there to begin with.

...so what happened to Ocelotte? Did the consumed king do a little extra consuming on the side or what? The whole family situation seems a bit whack, the younger prince is the one who is supposed to take the throne despite being a sickly wimp while his brother was a badass knight, the youngest prince of all is mysteriously absent, the dad turned into a goof rear end trogdor man and the mom straight up vanished so hard the game even says "yeah nobody has any idea where she is lol"

this is based on nothing but item lore and my own generous speculation / interpretation of things in game:

oceiros was the king of lothric. his world and aldrich's world are connected enough that they are at least aware of each other to some degree (maybe not friends, but irithyll and lothic have basic trade, etc). when aldrich gets tired of eating actual people he leaves his deacons at the chapel of the deep and he and pontiff s figure out a way to eat a god by summoning & anchoring anor londo to a portion of the pontiff's chapel in irithyll. oceiros is either aware of this, or helps to some degree, because he clearly finds out about seath's crystal sorcery research, which means he either has to visit anor londo himself after it's summoned, or he has to have trade with irithyll, but somehow he has to know about it). the fact that gwendolyn is the god that gets trapped & eaten by aldrich and that anor londo is dark leads me to believe that in the canon ending for DS1 the chosen undead does break the illusion for gwynevere, and so at that point gwendolyn is the only god left in the city. anyway, oceiros either plunders seath's library or has it plundered, and gets it all moved to the grand archives back in lothric, where he goes mad trying to re-create dragons and the moonlight blade. at the same time, his wife (who is never name outright and ultimately disappears) gives birth to the twin princes that you fight, and a third son ocelotte that's also MIA.

i am completely speculating that oceiros' "wife" was priscilla from the painted world - obviously the painted world gets busted up and the monastery guardians get dropped down the belltower shaft. i am also completely speculating that the knight captain of the darkmoon blades is her daughter, also from oceiros, who got put there in hiding for her own safety before priscilla got disappeared. both of these last points are speculation though, and i haven't seen anything in the game to back this up.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

jon joe posted:

RIP all my armor.

Why is Poise so much worse this time?

it's not worse per se, but it doesn't do the same thing it used to. before it would make it so all of your attacks were less likely to be interrupted if you took a hit in the middle of an attack animation, and as has been said that lead to a lot of people just stacking havel's and face tanking everything while dual wielding demon's great hammers. evidently miyazaki didn't think that play style matched his vision for how dark souls should work.

now poise adds hyper armor frames to your attacks that already have hyper armor (so like a great sword R2) but not by a huge margin and not for the entire attack, it just makes the hyper armor window slightly larger. so if you already know what you're doing with your weapon you can get a little more wiggle room with your timing, but if you were hoping to just wear the heaviest armor possible and face tank everything then *sad trombone* you can't do that any more.

this change is not communicated to any meaningful extent in the actual game, so people who expected poise to work the same way as before are understandably salty about the changes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the other side of the coin about the poise changes though is that it makes enemy monsters and hollows easier to fight to some extent, because they can also have their guard broken or be stunned a lot more easily now. if you use decently heavy weapons you (say great sword or heavier) you can guard break through even something like the lothric knight's shield after 2-3 swings, so as long as you have enough stamina to swing 4 or 5 times, you can just chop chop chop into their block and then when their guard breaks guess what, free riposte for critical damage for you (basically a backstab but from the front). it feels like this happens way more often in DS3 than the other games in the series where the more heavily armored monsters / enemy hollows would just shrug off anything you threw at them regardless of what you were attacking with.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mr Dog posted:

I have to wonder why no-name Dude In Armor boss Dragonslayer Armor is so incredibly difficult. The dude was very frustrating until I found out he was a roadblock for almost everybody.

He doesn't have any lore significance or any big buildup he's just kinda ... in your way all of a sudden.

that boss was the most satisfying to learn to beat solo, because he is such a motherfucker but his attack patterns are fairly predictable, and when i would die it was only frustrating if the death was from the floating poo poo-angels firing their poo poo volleys into the arena when i was at low health or something. any time i died to the actual boss, it was always because i mistimed a block or a dodge and it was really my bad.

he is a big shitwrecker to just be plopped in between dancer and the princes with no real build-up. my guess is he was like penetrator from 3-1 in that he was just a tough boss that was in your way because he was tough and not because he was somehow fitting into the bigger narrative. it is kind of weird though, because pretty much every other boss (and even most of the mini-boss style harder-than-normal enemies in a level) all tie back into whatever is happening in the game.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's because DS2 was the best game in the entire series even if it did have an elevator that did not meet certain standards of believeability in a world full of vase disguises, molesty handmonsters, poison cockgoblins and magically appearing phantoms.

it's really blowing my mind to think that DS2 was actually the best mechanically realized game, even though the story was probably the least interesting. it tried to be vaguely mysterious but it was too vague to the point where it just felt meaningless (and yes i get the joke that all desire is meaningless and the lesson vendrick was teaching was that ridding yourself of want was the true victory). but man, the actual implementation of the game was loving tight.

the first time you step back into NG+ and there's red phantom dudes in the starter zone and you're like "pfff whatever i bet these dudes are chumps" and then their falcons 2 shot you while the actual swordsman crabwalk-hovers sideways at you at lightspeed was intense.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Brannock posted:

The antechamber isn't useful for exploring the Ruins, though.

How is it not secret? You either have to make a tough jump and then go through an illusory wall, or you have to trigger the ballista to blast open the ground.

even if the ballista has to blast the ground to open it topside, that thing fires so loving much that i don't think it's possible that anyone could be exploring that zone and not have that hole opened. my first time in the zone i found the worm, said gently caress that and ran the other way, found the mute guy who was aggro and killed him, went back out and found a bunch of crabs and said gently caress those too, and then while i was trying to dodge the constant rain of ballista blasts like a crazy bug i saw the hole in the distance and ran for it, not even considering that this is dark souls and it was just as likely to be a trick hole that just insta-kills you. loving ballista rain is so obnoxious i ran into a hole in the ground on the off chance that i could escape the constant bombardment and i was actually right.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Regy Rusty posted:

It's gotta be the backtracking that fucks it up. If you do Anri's quest in order everything plays out like it's supposed to, but if you miss a conversation and progress too far it gets messed up.

there's no way that's right. my first time through, i met them on the road to sacrifice, then didn't see either of them until after wolnir when i went down to boiling lake and found the mute guy aggro in the cave. then after i killed him (and maybe the boss down there?) i went back up to catacombs for some loot i missed and found her in her first (upper) location - didn't tell her i found the mute guy. then i went around, through irithyll, i think all the way to the irithyll bonfire just before it turns into the dungeons (a distant room or whatever it is) and thought it was weird she wasn't in the chapel. i went back to the catacombs, went down to her second location, talked to her again, still didn't tell her that i had found the mute guy & killed him, and then when i warped back to the chapel bonfire she was just there chilling.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Babe Magnet posted:

Interacting with Rosaria's fingers at all breaks Sirris questline, outside of just getting the covenant item (equipping it breaks the quest)

it's possible even getting the covenant item breaks her quest. i only got the covenant item, sirris was otherwise cool with me but i hadn't completed her quest, and she just vanished from my game. not even like a mad statement or anything, just disappeared and never came back. other than getting the rosaria covenant item, i never gave her a tongue or equipped it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it bothered me that dying in DS3 has no visible degradation effect on your character (assuming you don't take any of Yoel's hollowing mojo). i really liked that DS2 not only zombified you (as opposed to just normal / beef-jerky light switch) but also that you got progressively more zombified the more you died - losing more clumps of hair or more patches of skin or etc. it's a small detail with no bearing on the gameplay but it was cool and i have no idea why they would remove it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i love that this PC port still barely functions correctly. i was doing red invasions for the slug lady in the swamp, and i got put into a game where the host had already challenged the crystal sages. i got to stand outside the fog wall and watch his health bar go up and down while they fought. luckily (for me) the guy lost and i got a free tongue? i really don't understand how this was even supposed to happen.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

StrangeAeon posted:

So, question.

In the Irithyll area just before Anor Londo, there's a ladder behind an illusion wall. And down that ladder is suffering in its purest form.

So, how are people solving that? Because I'm just a sword/board/archer and I am goddamn terrified.

there's no good exploit. you can pull either one into the corner with the ladder and fight it there, and they don't respawn once you kill them. you basically have to fight one of them in that small space, kill it, and then you can fight the other one in the bigger room area.

as for beating those lizard dogs, i finally did it when i ignored trying to play defensive and just went as aggro as they do. dodge the first combo it launches at you and then hit it back, hopefully hard enough to stagger, and then hope your next full combo is enough to kill it. i used a nice 2H weapon, if you can add carthus fire weapon or greater magic weapon or a resin, even better.

edit: at that point in the game, they are definitely the hardest non-boss encounter. it's really a get gud moment because there's not much you can exploit to just bypass them without having to fight them straight up

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Invading High Wall at SL 15. Host wearing Drakeblood armor at the first bonfire after Firelink shrine? Seems legit.

In any event...i've discovered that 3v1 is much harder to manage at low levels than high levels. And, let's face it; if a guy is playing Cindered up he's not leaving a bonfire without his personal armed escort. better trolling opportunities later on in the game. In the end, that's probably a good thing.

there's a chance they had a friend help them mule the gear onto a new character, but either way, who cares? jump off a roof if it's that upsetting and invade someone else.

also low-level invading is pretty poo poo. imo invading before road of sacrifices is just an exercise in frustration.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Krinkle posted:

I can get summoned as a white phantom. I can get summoned as aldrich faithful. I did the 30 human dregs for the aldrich faithful in an afternoon and had to take it off because I literally couldn't run up the spiral staircase without getting summoned, and waking up back on the bottom of it when I come back in. In two weeks I have literally never been summoned for farron watchdogs or any bluecop. I can get bluecops to invade. I can be invaded.

There is something different about those two factions that don't work, for a huge number of people. Those specific two. All other multiplayer interactions work as intended. Just those two. What does bad internet have to do with anything?

same. if i put on aldrich faithful i get summoned so frequently that it is a challenge to unequip the badge to turn the covenant off when i am actually done doing pvp, but in 70+ hours of game time i have never once been summoned as blue cop or wolfbro. i have maxed out purple mounds and red slug lady and aldrich and yet the two defensive covenants straight don't work for me.

good news is that after 1M souls farmed from the silver knights, i'm up to 4 proofs of covenant! only 6 more for the first rank reward :shepicide:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

turtlecrunch posted:

+ Unkindled are simply Undead that tried to link the Fire but hosed up the quest and burnt to ash instead (doesn't seem to have any connection to DS2, SOTFS or otherwise)

so the DS3 protagonist is basically a DS1 protagonist who already hosed up good once?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah it's like someone who tried to light the First Flame but they never got the Lord Soul from Bed of Chaos.

can't hold that against them

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the key is you need a summon to play distraction.

this is pretty crucial. if you're hoping to use regular lock-on casting in a 1v1 scenario, you're only going to win against people who have never played a souls game before (which is likely a very small number of pvp people at this point). you've either got to manually aim your pyro spells and try to mix up 2 or 3 different spells with different speeds and ranges so you get them confused on which direction they need to roll, or you need to leverage sorceries that don't all need to be aimed and then combine those with a fast casting damage spell or the sorcery greatsword so they roll towards you and into the CSM or whatever.

basically if you're hoping to just use one certain spell / pyro and pew pew pew someone to victory you are very unlikely to succeed.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mr Teatime posted:

What on earth are the spawn conditions for Siegward in the well in the cathedral of the deep? I did everything I've read to do, every shortcut door open, boss dead and he never appeared. Then I screwed up because I read that you need the armour from patches before he will appear, but patches wasn't selling it and I was told he dropped it if you killed him. So now there is still no siegward, no dropped armour and the handmaiden doesn't sell it with patches ashes. Why the heck wouldn't siegward appear in the first place.

before you make a new guy, i got the quest to play out, and it went like this:

1. do undead city, kill the fire demon with sieg, talk to him afterwards to get the pose & siegbrew
2. do chapel of the deep, open all shortcuts, beat the deacons, left to start doing catacombs. went back to see if he was in the well & he was, exhausted his dialogue there. up to this point, i had never bought the 20k firelink key from the handmaiden, and patches was NOT in the chapel of the deep.
3. grind out 20k souls to get the firelink key, go to tower behind firelink, patches is there and locks me in. when i bust out, he's in his spot at firelink. i forgive him and he has all the catarina armor on him for sale. grind out another 20k souls to buy it all off him.
4. return armor to sieg in the well, he's cool about it. finish up catacombs and by the time i found him again in the kitchen under irithyll he was ready for the next quest step

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kiggles posted:

PvP fairs a little better, but the simple facts of the matter are, R1 spam is incredibly difficult to punish. Roll spamming is almost impossible to punish without the fastest of weapons. The faster your weapon, both the harder it is for you to be punished, and the more able you are to punish roll spammers.

no.

if you use a heavy weapon with better reach you will laffo at people trying to spam short R1s all day long.

yeah keep swinging that stumpy sword over and over again imma keep chopping you from four feet away :shrug:

edit: if you want to spam R1 estoc vs R1 estoc then i guess that's a pretty intense way to pvp! but the estoc/longsword R1 is not a perfect defense with no counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Spanish Manlove posted:

Aim for the beak in phase 1, never lock on. If you can avoid getting hit in phase 1 you're good for phase 2 where you just have to learn to dodge his poo poo.

how the poo poo do you avoid / mitigate the dragon's airborne fire breath bomb? i can dodge / block every other attack, but when the dragon flies up and breathes fire down into the arena it's a guaranteed flask. depending on how many times he randomly decides to do this before i can kill him, it makes the number of flasks i take into phase 2 very difficult to control. in n+1 attempts at this boss, i have managed to roll+run far enough away from the fire to avoid any damage exactly 1 time. sometimes, it even triggers twice, so it turns into a 1HKO, and the best part is that the second damage tick is while i am still lying on the ground, not able to animate and roll or block or do anything.

seriously how to you get around the airborne fire breath. the only thing i have had some luck with is trying to change my positioning in the fight so that the dragon is less likely to use the move in the first place (but again i think it's random and i'm just getting confirmation bias).