Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

How do you counter the double greatsword?

I found a way, but it's specific to ADELBERT STEINER's build

I've already got a lot of poise, so I put on the Wolf Ring +3 to bump up to 35 poise, then use Stomp when someone comes helicoptering at me

a lot of folks who thought they'd disturb Filianore's sleep today were in for a big surprise when they got planked by my BKGS :twisted:

edit: along the lines of the greathammer WAs, I'm pretty sure Morne's would also be rude as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Trance mode :ssj:

oof, I could replace the Wolf Ring with the Untrue White Ring :black101:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

That's easy!

- The Queen was the woman married to King Lothric back before all this poo poo went down, she doesn't need to be Gwynevere or Rosaria or anyone other than herself
- The scholars were into three things; 1) Books, 2) Wax, 3) Giant birds. The cage used to house their giant bird but it died :(
- The third sister was Liliane, Londor is just a chill place for hollows to be hollow. Kaathe probably helped them make it because he's into zombies
- For the same reason there are Primordial Serpent statues in the archives; they look goofy as heck and help lighten the mood a little
- It's taking place in the opening cinematic of the game. If you listen closely you can hear the narrator (*old woman voice* Yes, indeed.)
- It's just called nighttime, it happens every day and is nothing to be afraid of
- Courland was just a country, and Ludleth is a good man who doesn't like being called that
- Uh excuse me Velka was the most prominent figure in the entire game, literally every area and NPC has a CLEAR connection. Did you not see my videos?

Thanks for reading and don't remember to like and subscribe, check out my patreon and please give me more money! Making posts like these isn't cheap. Tune in next month for "are Divine Blessings actually Gwynevere's breast milk?" and more!

um, excuse me, but what about the Goddess of the One-Shot Build, the tears of joy that is Caitha :colbert:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

uh oh pancho! posted:

I think most of the "unsolved" lore questions can be boiled down to "in each game of the series, you're an interloper in a dying land that's pretty hosed up and almost everyone you meet is an interloper too". Everything is passed around as stories and hearsay exchanged by folks prone to forgetting the entirety of their memories. poo poo's prone to being embellished, partially remembered, or forgotten entirely. You're lucky if any historical record is preserved at all, so expect some holes.

Dark Souls 2 is the best of the lot because you literally are just someone who shows up out of nowhere to take care of some personal business. The whole thing with Aldia and all the crowns or whatever is just sort of heaped on as you go about trying to fix your own problem. It's still the only one without any sort of GREAT PROPHECY or BUT THOU MUST crap; you're there because you want to be there and you want to be there because you want your dang memories back!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

I love co-op, it's one of my favorite parts of the game.

ah, the part where you invade and ruin people

this is why I like Spear of the Church most of all :getin:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

True, but the hammer description acts like actually being friends with them was an accomplishment.

Apparently Havel was not a friendly fellow!

The story of Havel helping the dragon with its toothache is one of the most endearing stories found in the Dark Souls canon,

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

It's coming up again.

That one room in Brume Tower with the trap door next to the bonfire. The single most torturous four walls in all of Dark Souls <:gonk:>

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

My only problem with DS3 PVP is trying to invade as someone who isn't hyper specifically built for PVP and inevitably running into hosts with 2 buddies and a bluecop and getting smashed into the ground.

I usually just roll my eyes and black crystal out, but nearly every single host does this. It makes Watchdogs of Farron covenant really dumb and bad.

this is why I like the Spears of the Church covenant a lot: it's endgame, people are expecting it and can play offline if they want to avoid it, and the perks as a singular boss help to balance out a four-person fiesta

it isn't perfect, it is pigeonholed at the butt end of some DLC, but it's a decent effort that really whips it up with the music and the setting

beats the hell out of hanging out on the Pontiff's back porch all day

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

You don't want to fight the Old Dragonslayer without 20 ADP though :v:

But yeah, I had totally forgot about that change. Most of my time spent in DS2 was before SOTFS.

I did it yesterday with 89 agility and was perfectly fine :colbert:

then again, I have so many hours socked away into DS2 that I can parry anything, even after not playing for months and months. it sure as hell made the Heide knights a lot more bearable!!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Well, I don't know about that. There are plenty of tricky spots in a no-death DS2 run.

There's a couple of annoying occasions like that in DS2 where you have to drop into some lovely mosh pit that you have no way to retreat from until everything in it is dead. That's one design feature I'm glad that we didn't see more of. I guess maybe those rats at the bottom of Settlement count? But cmon, who gets killed by those guys. There's the two Pontiff Beasts too but I think they actually got patched so only one of them will aggro on you at a time.

honorary mention goes to the horrible dog pit after the Belfry Gargoyles if you want the Dragon Tooth

even on any other run, they put like a dozen dogs down there along with the invader

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

So now that Dark Souls is over and done with, what are dudes like Vaati going to do now, talk endlessly about things that'll never be answered or just fade away into the mists of time, because seriously his entire thing is reading item descriptions with a somber sounding voice.

10 Things You Missed in Hollow Knight

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Patches will be a homicidal AI that will be revealed to be an ascended human conciousness in an interview, and we should be proud of him

the big reveal is that he's just working you from a hard-to-reach office somewhere with an entire wall of computers on it, dressed in the exact same garb from Dark Souls because he LARPs or something

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's proven true with pretty much everything else, but Black Fire Orb will probably gently caress up the Ringed Knights with shields

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

The trick to parrying effectively is not to watch the weapon, but the hand. When you see the opponent's hand coming towards you that's when you want to parry; as soon as you see the wind-up you want to slam that L2 button. A good place to practice is Cathedral of the Deeps, since the Cathedral Knights there hit like a truck and have a pretty generous windup. If you can parry them on the regular there isn't much that can survive you. The parrying dagger/caestus/small shields have the largest window of opportunity for parries so you're less likely to whiff it.

Another thing: send Greirat out on his first run and wait for him to come back. When he does, pick up a Knight Shield. It's a relatively light shield that can parry and has 100% phys reduction, so even if you get a partial parry, you''ll take a lot less damage than if you got hit outright.

Oh yeah! I should mention partial parries if you don't know about 'em. Basically if you parry a little too early or a little too late for it to actually deflect the attack, you'll take some damage and hear a clang on your shield. It's a good measure of whether you're doing it too soon or too late.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm having fun with Black Serpent and the Repeating Crossbow with the Spears of the Church :shepface:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

skasion posted:

Black fireball spam works okay.

I went later on in my runthrough and Black Fire Orb melted them so fast that Cuculus didn't have a chance to even take out her whip

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

I have never experienced or seen grapples as bad as ds2 grapples in any other souls game

also see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_cVd9Ow-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7crDxHFe0&t=657s
just a few examples I grabbed just now. there's a lot more obviously

I am one of the people who still thinks ds2 is a good game despite this(and adp, and soul memory) so I'd prefer if we could stop pretending that this isn't a problem that it has.

Dark Souls 2 is still the only game where I can pop it on, no matter how much time has passed, and still throw out parries no problem as if it were yesterday.

Going from being able to use my left hand as my main hand the entire game back to boring 'ol right hand-only moveset was lame and made the PVP a bit less. Hand Axe + Bastard Sword was drat good in 2 and could hit a lot of things from a lot of angles :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 was nowhere near as bad as DS1 at that though.

Hollow Soldier Waistcloth was basically it for leg armor due to the poise/weight ratio.

Frankly the guy who said poise should be based on total equip weight is probably right, to prevent arbitrary stat bullshit.

That or just do cosmetic slots like sane people, because how you react to hits is purely determined by your client anyhow, so the actual stats on it are irrelevant. As are the people who actually memorized poise breakpoints.

my only request is that you make another post that isn't about using Cheat Engine in a Dark Souls game

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Yhorm's a fantastic fight if you decide to forgo the Storm Ruler and go for the arms. I had it down to a point where I could consistently dead angle his wrists and elbows with the Astora Greatsword without skipping a beat.

And then, you know, a multitude of Black Fire Orbs to the face just to really rub it in. :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, going for a STR/FTH build on a new character was a great idea

pretty much everything has melted to Greataxe use, hell, Yhorm went down ridiculously fast with it as the drat thing managed to bonk him for 154 damage if I missed his arms.

the only things left, probably, are to make a true INT build and at last try to beat the game with the Brigand Twindaggers :shepface:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cuchulain posted:

The Murky Hand Scythe, which scales terribly with int/fai uninfused, decently with a Dark or Chaos Infusion, and wrecks house with Dark Blade. It's in the Ringed City and is a dagger though, not sure what kinda dude you're thinking about and how feasible that would be.

That said, any of the Faith double dip weapons (bident, LKGS, etc) or the good Chaos weapons (GFH, Demon Fist) also make good Dark weapons. Or something stat independent like a Raw Morningstar with Dark Blade, if you're feeling particularly edgy. Also a Dragonslayer Axe with Dark or Chaos is my favorite back pocket weapon on a lot of my weird split stat builds.

me, crawling up from a fetid pit of decay and rot: "but you forgot the Great Corvian Scythe"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Where do you get that? I know I can't get everything, but I at least want to try to find stuff like that. Lightning Spear is another thing I wonder where it is. I've been using Gnaw a lot though, but the other offensive miracle I have kinda sucks.

have you found the Old Wolf of Farron? if not, check the giant tower in the middle of Farron Keep swamp and look around the bridge above the tower for a bit; you'll find Lightning Spear there, along with an old friend. A Stray Demon!!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Iretep posted:

there are more good weapons in the last dlc than bad depending on build so im not sure why youre bothering to list all the good ones instead of just the few bad ones.

the bad:
Preacher's Right Arm

here is a particularly dumb, but interesting gimmick involving two Preacher's Right Arms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5D8i5zRNEk

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

goblin week posted:

If I were to weave primal magicks to make the universe fit my desires, I'd simply make the boss I'm fighting disappear, rather than chucking a soul dart

you can cast ultimate magicks such as Multiple Soul Dart and Rapid Soul Dart

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been looking at the Cinders patch notes between 1.73 and 1.90 and this little gem in one of the more recent patches caught my eye.

- Added Burning Note: start in the Ringed City.

:chloe: I can't think of almost any reason why you'd want to do that.

To avoid the Drag Heap. Forever. It has to be one of the most powerful burial gifts to date, given the access to endgame rings and, again, skipping over the Drag Heap for good.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Actual best you can do is DS2 where Whips have perfectly servicable damage, you can backstab and riposte with them, powerstance two and even make a decent bleed build with two Notched Whips (one in early game and one +7 for free in a DLC you can rush for), gloves that are simple to farm in SotFS, and the blood covenant ring, gotten after a boss in the same area you find the first Notched Whip in

Also get an Old Whip to kill half a boss really quickly before you have to switch it out because of durability issues

Or two Spotted Whips. Because you're evil and love poisoning things in one go. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

some of the poo poo y'all talk about regarding cinders makes it sound like an entirely different game in a good way

You can use weapons not named Lothric Knight Straight Sword or Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords. The quarterstaff weapons are extremely dumb right now and will probably be nerfed in a later update.

I know the proper Quarterstaff was moved from a weapon you acquire early on to being gated behind transposing the Nameless King's soul. It's that good.