Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Desperate Character posted:

the only downside is the weapons which scale with int are terrible and the only ones that scale with faith are spears which are poo poo.

I ended up pretty much just carrying around a sword with me for when something was so easy to kill I could just slip in and murder them with it rather than wasting a few of my precious, precious FP (like those little hat wearing ambush assholes in the Grand Archives). Great Chaos Orb was essentially my weapon of choice for most of the second half of the game, alternating with stuff like Dark Orb for bosses that were fire resistant or Chaos Bed Vestiges when I wanted to just destroy something fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gologle posted:

Yeah. Hehe, weird poo poo indeed.

Seriously speaking, I still don't know if Lothric ALREADY linked the fire or is the current destined Lord who just doesn't want to do it. The dialogue seems to imply the latter, else why treat him as any different than the other three Lords?

I'm fairly certain he was raised with the intention that he would link the fire when it started to fade again, but when it became clear that time had come, he pretty much just locked himself up in the castle with his brother and said,"Nah Imma just sit here and wait for everything to die."

CharlestonJew posted:

He did link the fire but his brother did most of the burning in his stead, which is why he's not completely bumfuck crazy while Lorian is a crawling screaming mess

Isn't Lorian's condition a result of his armor? Something about it slowly degrading his body (and he willingly letting it do so, perhaps in sympathy for/to feel closer to his brother)?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All right I think I'm done, I got the last two ending achievements and now I've basically done everything in the game short of New Game+ for ONE single gesture, and the PVP stuff to get the final miracle, ring, sorcery and pyromancy etc. I figure I'll just leave my save where it is until the DLC comes out since I really like the last character I put together, I'm not going to grind out PVP for those last items which means I'll always be frustratingly one spell/item short of those final achievements - I really should have checked up on that before starting a completionist run 50 hours earlier.

Having seen all three (achievement based) endings now, I think my favorite is having the Firekeeper put out the flame herself. There was something oddly hopeful and even peaceful about that ending, in contrast to the other two where I felt like I was (standard ending) just restarting the whole hosed up cycle all over again or (Yuria & Yoel ending) wresting control of the flame for myself to rule over a world of hollows as their dark overlord. The final line you hear on the black screen was I thought a really nice way to end things, again it read to me as rather sweet and hopeful.

Edit: Maybe now I should actually play Scholar of the First Sin....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cons:
- You look like beef jerky, and your shadow glitches out and disappears
- It's incredibly easy to gently caress up some of the other prerequisites and now you look like beef jerky for no good reason

Though to be fair, you can get a ring that makes you look non-hollow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin hasn't aged well graphically, I'm kinda surprised since I remember it being quite pretty.

I gotta agree with whoever it was who said earlier in the thread they'd love to see DSII in the DSIII engine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On my Scholar of the First Sin run I joined the Bellringers Covenant and went to walk the two floors from the guy who lets you in to the boss fight and got invaded (or called into a world) half a dozen times in 10 minutes :stare:

Which further reminded me another reason I don't enjoy PVP, my God the lag :cripes:

In the end my only victory was against a guy where I just start flailing about my sword every time I saw him vaguely move, even if he was half a floor away from me, because most of the time he was actually standing next to me about to swing his own sword and I just happened to get in first.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Funny thing is going back to DS2 and every single chest I approach I'm positive will be a mimic.... and I haven't encountered one yet.

It may be hyperbole, but I'm fairly certain there were more mimic than non-mimic chests in DS3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Coiled sword fragment doesn't stack? Laaaame

However, it IS pump a rum!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I tried to tell you like 500 pages ago

So.... about 4 hours ago? :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lotish posted:

They might as well tell us, "this armor adds +3.6 to sick nasty kick flips" for all that it means to the game itself.

That's strange, I don't recall Gundyr's armor saying that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Archdragon Peak looks pretty neat, but god drat is it a slog to play through.

That last section with a ton of serpent dudes charging you was aggravating to solo, it wasn't till my second playthrough I found out you can summon Hawkwood for that section and the two of you will clear it out together. Even better, afterwards he demonstrates exactly where to perform the Path of the Dragon gesture.

It made me getting the message from him left with Andre make a lot more sense too - the two of you have fought side by side at Archdragon Peak and now he knows you're on the same path and he thinks there can only be one, and he's cool with getting beaten by you because it'll mean you're more "true" a dragon than he is.

argondamn posted:

I like Hawkwood cause his story is that he was a scrub until you came along, then he ditched the shield and got gud and learned some dragon poo poo.

Yeah, next to Siegward I think that Hawkwood is my favorite NPC storyline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MarshyMcFly posted:

Can anyone explain to me what happened here? I think the Nameless King was just really slacking off that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdv4yRXno4

If wonder if your Chaos Bed Vestiges technically hit him at the same time as his sword got you, and so the damage didn't hit you but the animation still played as if the hit had scored?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That helm looks so great with the Cathedral Knight armor, especially if you're doing the Yuria ending. :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When I played through it, I definitely got the sense that it was from a reality where the fire was left to die out, but that Ludleth essentially willed himself into our reality or even outright created it so he could try and set things right (though it's become clearer that the right thing to do was to actually let the fire go out).

Pure speculation on my behalf though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheNightReaver posted:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this takes DS3 to a whole new level...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

I was already laughing but then when I spotted what had been there the whole time.... :vince:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shnag posted:

I'm betting there is alot of variation to this joke.

tight spot ahead

try tongue rear

visions of mount

but hole ahead

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Section Z posted:

I'm feeling good, but I am also worried it is all downhill from here.

Go up the ladder, turn left and try to get past the guy standing in the doorway. I found that was a good ego-destroyer for when I got a little uppity about having just beaten Dancer :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trick Question posted:

I seem to have missed whatever characters teach pyromancy and sorcery somehow, though.

You can pick up a pyromancy trainer in Undead Settlement, go across the bridge beside the big fire gathering and up around to where those undead are throwing firebombs at you, up on their level is a guy in a cage.

For sorcery, go to that swamp area along the Road of Sacrifice (I think... it's the bit just before Crystal Sage anyway) and explore around in the crumbling buildings and you'll find a sorcery trainer.

Edit: Actually I think the latter might disappear if you haven't spoken to them before a certain point in the game. If that's the case, there is another sorcery trainer on the bottom level of the Irithyll Dungeon, but you'll need to get the key to their cell from the Profaned Capital. I think they train pyromancy too.

Section Z posted:

Oh, I have a stance art weapon. So that variety are basically freebies.

In that case, all I can say is to remember that in Dark Souls, hubris always ends up being the ultimate foe! v:shobon:v

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 16, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trick Question posted:

I found that other character, but they were only willing to take a couple books.

With regards to that character, if you push them they WILL take the books. The standard pyromancer will refuse to take them at all, the standard miracle seller will take them but make a comment about how they're frightened of them - if you then buy any of the miracles from those books from them, it kicks off a part of their storyline where they begin to slowly corrupt, and their initial defender will come and take them away. Track them down and you'll have to fight him, and the NPC is already doomed to die because of their corruption. The NPC from the dungeon won't like the books, but they WILL take them if pushed and there will be no negative consequences to it (that I'm aware of).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Also you never even have to kill Orbeck if you don't want to. It's only for the blade, which is dumb.

Also if you buy all the sorceries from him, he takes care of the problem for you and you can still cash in like you did the deed anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loopoo posted:

I'm loving my DS3 playthrough right now.

I'm being completely genuine when I say I love posts like this. It reminds me of the enthusiasm and excitement I felt playing through DS1 for the first time and that moment in Undead Burg when everything "clicked" and I started wrapping my head around how the game worked. Such great memories :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hypha posted:

Please close the door, I'm working on my tan.

I paid good money for those crazy bird assholes to have a rave over me and you had to go and ruin it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

That mimic pretty much soloed him for me

It's weird, my first playthrough the mimic just wrecked him. My second playthrough, the mimic got wrecked instead but then the skeletons mobbed him and tore him a new one.

So now that I think about it, I've had two complete playthroughs of the game and that's the one enemy I've never actually killed myself!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

can you expand on this? what evidence is there to indicate this?

Amazing chest ahead

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/374320/achievements/

as usual: lol
I don't think there's a website where you can see the ps4 version, not counting that dumb one where people have to register to be counted

I can understand the covenant related stuff since it requires pvp and not everybody wants to do that, and that in turn means that stuff like sorcery/pyromancy achievements aren't going to get done either since there are spells locked away as covenant rewards. But the Master of Infusion one being so low really surprises me, since it's so straightforward to get by the end of the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cyberventurer posted:

My highest-rated message, at 30 points, is one I completely ripped off from another player. :shobon:

It's some nonsense line like "Time for now the real fight begins all the more if only I had a may the flames guide thee".

People seemed to really appreciate the "be wary of hole" message I left in Profaned Capital in that little parallel hallways section where you can easily fall down into the lava while chasing a crystal lizard :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

So my second run through after completing the game is as a pyro. Some fights were ridiculously hard but I completely clowned the Abyss Watchers with fire orbs on my first try. That fight was one of the hardest for my melee build

Yeah I did my second run as a pyro and after the initial hurdle of getting over not playing melee-focused, the game felt a lot easier (familiarity probably helped) - Nameless King is a lot easier with a ranged class than a guy who has to get up in his face to hit him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From: We have a new DLC for Dark Souls 3, in this DLC you wi-
Me: SOLD!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Can't sell me DLC if I've already blindly bought the season pass when the game launched.

I didn't out of some misguided and ultimately fruitless effort to be financially responsible. I regret my past mistakes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did somebody say hitboxes?

http://i.imgur.com/4k4uDsd.gifv

:swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

artorias and sir alonne were both the business

Yeah I think of all the games, Artorias still stands out to me as my favorite/most challenging Boss - I also love the fact that the dude is corrupted AND crippled and still can kick the poo poo out of you.

I remember Fume Knight in the DS2 DLC being similarly challenging/difficult without feeling frustrating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've barely even started the DLC but I was having a blast going through the wolves near the start when BIG OL' WOLF OUTTA NOWHERE! :neckbeard:

He doesn't come back when you go back through that way though :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hmm, the end boss of this DLC is pretty easy..... oh I see, there's a bit more to it than that. Ahhhh there we go, I've done i-oh God she's KILLING me in her third phase :gonk:

I also thought this image was incredibly cool (and terrifying).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think I just finished up the DLC, I didn't know about Champion's Gravetender so I went back to him after Friede, I don't think there is anything left to do in the Painted World after that?

Really dug Friede, afterwards I spoke to the little girl at the top of the Cathedral and I'm guessing that's the set-up for the next DLC? Unless there was some last thing I was meant to do to finish things up with them? From what was said, I assumed this is leading somewhere but the DLC seemed to be pretty solidly over at that point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Your Computer posted:

If you mean the part about the Dark Soul then I'm hoping that's the setup for the next DLC.

Dark Souls III: Uncle Gael's Wacky Adventures

Yeah Uncle Gael's up to something and I suspect it's no good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Uhhh... before I fly into a gibbering panic.... my savegame is gone? I haven't played since I completed Ashes of Ariandel and I just loaded up the game and my save isn't there :stare:

If I look in my users folder there is still a save game there dated for today, please for the love of God tell me the game hasn't somehow overwritten my 130+ hour savegame with a blank file, and this is just some kind of server issue from the new release? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Have you switched computers/had to reformat/etc. since last playing it? Cause it doesn't use cloud saves or back you up anywhere online.

I did actually, I just had a look in the windows.old folder and found a savegame from the end of October last year, so I think I might be saved :pray:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I couldn't figure out where to go from The Dreg Heaps after exploring every avenue I could find, so in frustration I jumped off a big ledge with lots of bloodstains at the end next to "try jumping!" and "liar ahead" messages.

I landed safely at the base and found the next bonfire :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I held off on playing through the DLC for a little bit for various reasons, started playing again today. Got up to the first boss and after a couple of missteps I got them down, don't see what the big deal is :smug: ....hey hang on how come he isn't disappe-