Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I started doing a quest guide run to see what I missed in my first playthrough and holy loving poo poo is Dark Souls 3 garbage about quest design. I know there's been obtuse stuff in all of the games but I felt like in the other titles you at least got to experience SOME stuff in a normal game without looking anything up. Dark Souls 3 hides almost every single one of its quests behind bizarre requirements and orders of operation you'd just never do.

I mean hell, I'd never have even met Patches if I didn't look up where and how to trigger and spawn him and continue his quest. Why the gently caress would I ever go back to that tower at Firelink?

I feel like if there was more dialog or whatever outside of these Silent Hill 2 alternate ending style requirements it'd be a lot better but story is pretty drat sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Going sorcery with just enough Str and Dex to wield a raw infused uchigatana with Magic Weapon seems pretty goddamn powerful. I'm absolutely wrecking poo poo.

My offhand is my staff for any long-range cheesing or the Crystal Sage's Rapier for that sweet drop buff.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Simply Simon posted:

My favourite completely nonsensical quest step might be Sirris' summon sign to help her against Creighton that shows up in a place you have zero reason to ever revisit. Maybe possibly if you just ran away from the dog thing the first time and then go back later to kill it (but not too much later of course!), but otherwise the area is as pure transition as they get and has absolutely no connection to her.

Yeah it's kinda crazy that for how many good things Dark Souls 3 does right it makes me wish they'd took more from Dark Souls 2 like story progression and bonfire ascetics.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hellyeah who else is ready for Namco to farm out the Dark Souls series to some other developer since From is done

(please be Platinum)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Alan Smithee posted:

Curious what's your stats and where are you currently?

How much damage do you do to bosses on average

Just finished Cathedral of the Deep and heading into Farron. I know the Deacons aren't exactly an impressive boss but I was doing 180 per swipe with a buffed +4 raw uchigatana. Mah stats and fashion souls:

Jimlit posted:

I completely missed every quest and npc pertaining to the dark sigil and hollowing. Up until a few days ago I was completely confused when people were talking about it.

Yeah my first time through I did the same. I found Yoel but didn't take his offer because it seemed suspicious and then I forgot about it and whoops dead.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Good lord do I hate those goat assholes and their M Bison head stomps.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Grimalkin posted:

I am very much enjoying DS3, but the more I play it, the more I miss Bloodborne. Bloodborne, Bloodborne, Bloodborne.

Bloodborne.

Same. DkS3 is a Real Good Game but I kinda want them to let it rest and focus on a new thing whilst also making a new Bloodborne that stands on its own more.

Is anyone else have a really loving hard time getting a grasp of the lore in this game? I feel like in DkS1, 2 and Bloodborne I grew to understand the different lands I was in and their inhabitants and how they reacted to the various curses and such. DkS3 so far in 1.5 playthroughs is really lacking in that regard and kinda like Demon's Souls just feels like a collection of levels.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I gotta say Ashes of Ariandel was kind of disappointing. The new weapons are okay, the environments are rad, and some of the encounters are cool but it's short and does absolutely nothing for the story of Dark Souls 3. It feels like yet another pile of fan service instead of actually filling in plot gaps or giving us something genuinely new.

It's not that I hated it but it's just the weakest Souls DLC yet and sort of a microcosm of both the good and really bad things about Dark Souls 3. Ugh.

e: a major problem I had with the DLC is how many pointless areas or dead ends there were. That whole side area with the viking tower and wolf slope hell contained nothing but a bow and then dumped out back out onto the main path. Why? They could have at least put a friendly viking up there to HELP ANY TIME

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 26, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Paracelsus posted:

The DLC was a bit all over the place when it comes to difficulty. With a level 82 character I didn't die very much, but there were a few points that required cheesing finding novel solutions, like separating the crow assassin from his knightly colleague by opening up the door and going outside where the knight was too big to follow.

Haha trust me he can definitely follow you out the door and gently caress you up with his buddy in the graveyard.

The only thing I cheesed in the DLC was the second wolf fight using the tower. gently caress the wolf fights.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it's really bizarre.

Also if you felt like the DLC didn't have a bunch of content the first time through wait until you play it gain. I just breezed through it a second time after realizing how much holds nothing of interest and that most of the time I spent my first run was in giant group fights that I have no interest in repeating.

e: also what level was this DLC supposed to be played at? I guess when you first get to the church? the mats you find are mostly kinda garbage save for the slab at the end and some of the treasure just seems weird. lots of gems and clumps and coins and homeward bones. loving thanks??

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh one thing I forgot to bring up, what's up with Vilhelm's...neck bite? I beat the poo poo out of that guy twice but my only death has come at the expense of a one-hit kill grab he has where it looks like he loving chows down on me and I don't know what the gently caress that is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Whoa what if you use the Millwood Battle Axe's "run forward and yell" skill it removes any buffs you have on the weapon. That kinda stinks?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Deified Data posted:

Same with all Warcry weapons. The damage buff more or less makes up for that.

Weird I guess I just never tried since all of my warcry weapons have been with my strength character and this was an attempt at using the axe as "sharp" and magic buffed.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure why anyone would use Frozen Weapon when Crystal already exists. It just seems like a worse version and as far as I know there's nothing that's super weak to frost.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just had flashbacks to The Old Hunters and how many rad as gently caress areas and bosses and weapons were in it and got a little sad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
One of these days we'll get a Demon's Souls HD with that restored 6th archstone...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you check out places like cuttingroomfloor.com and look at the data mined from DeS for what would have been in world 6, it feels like it's better that they just cut it. from what data they could find, it looked like the whole world was just standard fantasy bearman/wolfman/animalperson/etc. which would have been inconsistent with the otherwise atonal, dreamlike, chtuhlhu-esqe aesthetic of the rest of the game

Haha yeah I remember that. I mean who knows they could have made it work, Boletaria is fairly generic fantasy and I think it's a rad set of levels.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I ran into the same issue when I tried to make the Crescent Axe work for my faith build with Lightning Blade.

If you want to take advantage of warcry and your scaling stat you could always infuse.

Oh so warcry and a magic infusion would stack? The character is pumped full of dexterity and intelligence so that might work.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Sakurazuka posted:

So did anyone manage to kill the big axe viking guy that shoots out earthquakes?. I had like one go and barely managed to scratch him, just wanted to know if he dropped anything worthwhile. I already nipped round and got the item he was guarding.

That dude is the secret best boss fight in the DLC and metal as gently caress.

The secret second best boss fight is snow crab bros :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Guillermus posted:

Again, you can cheese the crab by pulling the first with a bow and fight it right on top of the bonfire then fight the second with more than enough room. Or, just leg it Farron Keep/Smouldering Lake style.

You lack crab honor.

Paracelsus posted:

Is there any good reason to not summon Gael every time? You get a slab from him if you get through the second phase and don't even need to be embered to summon him.

Pretty sure you get a slab from the second phase regardless of summoning him or not. The reason to not summon him is that for each summon I think the boss gets more health so it's a matter of him pulling aggro vs damage done. The one time I pulled him in he got immediately murdered in phase 3.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

mastershakeman posted:

The axe w/ the cool weapon art is garbage. Even wasted a slab on it. The art does almost no damage, players can crush you while you're doing it, and it's just not a hard hitting weapon at all. ah well

Yeah it really blows which is a shame because the enemy who uses it can really gently caress your poo poo up.

Night Blade posted:

Just finished.

By the way, what's the deal with that little shrine after the last boss fight? There's a bunch of high rated messages near it saying "try gesture" but every gesture I try does nothing.

Just more Dark Souls 1 fanservice wankery with no real story explanation like most of this game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Same. Invasions are cool and good and fight clubs are bad and lame. I really don't like how they've played down invasions as the series has progressed. In Demon's they had the best reason/reward since you regained humanity by stealing it from players.

Insurrectionist posted:

I never actually parried in DS2, even a single time. Not even failed attempts, just never bothered with it. Parried a fair bit in DS1 including Gwyn and most Black/Silver Knights (granted if you're fine with circle-strafe + backstab that's a way easier approach for them). DS3...not really much outside PvP, and it doesn't land too often for me there either. I tried parrying Pontiff and absolutely can't get the timing down. It looks so easy for speedrunners...

DS2 is really where I learned to parry in the series. Those lion bros gave all kinds of problems in vanilla DS2 until I forced myself to parry and I never looked back.

Of course now I barely ever use a shield so welp.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Jordbo posted:

something like this? (warning: memes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGux2eiCsJ0

This is extremely good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

bewilderment posted:

I'm disappointed that after Bloodborne there's barely any Bloodborne-ish clothing. There's the Silver Mask for all your tricorn needs but that's about it. They could at least have stuck a 'bloody coat' somewhere.

I miss my top hat.

There's also not nearly as much of the fun, goofy clothing from Dark Souls 2. DS3 is way too dour and serious and it's kind of a bummer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Iretep posted:

if you can land their weapon art on someone they seem to be alright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRb3z-53TiM

Didn't expect a Dark Souls PVP video with Genesis music but that was a pleasant surprise.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I still can't look at Soul of Cinder and not just see a Soul Calibur end boss.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Maleh-Vor posted:

I think the pilgrim butterflies are actually the hollow person trees in the High Wall of Lothric, since they're all facing towards the castle at the start, along with all the hollow supplicants. They could be pilgrims just as well, but I think it's tied a bit closer to the rest.

Oh hey look at that. Yeah that makes sense. I mean, relatively at least.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think the Gutter and Black Gulch are two cool areas. The Gutter is probably the best vertical zone they've done and it's legit cool when you explore a bunch and light all of the torches.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Balobam posted:

i think if demon's souls counts, the tower of latria is something else as far as vertical levels go, or tbh as far as levels go in general

The Tower of Latria loving owns but I guess by vertical area I specifically mean the vertical shantytown type areas like Blighttown or the first part of the Dirty Colossus archstone in Demon's.

e: and I thought the torch mechanic was neat :saddowns:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
TAKE THE PLUNGE

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

For some reason I think this DLC is good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Rusty Brown's Ringed City

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
What if Patches was the Dark Soul all along??

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Deckit posted:

gently caress this optional dragon boss. Any suggestions for his bullshit?

I just summoned the NPC that's available and she took 95% of the aggro up until she died. By that point the dragon only had like 10% health from me standing between it's legs and I killed it.

Although stupidly I died to lingering fire after it died at the same time. :v:

Insurrectionist posted:

Oh really? I didn't expect those two things to be linked.

Well, I'll have to go back and try that out later then.

I don't know if it matters but try standing is a fairly clear area like the one just past the base of the steps when you do it. I kept turning into other things when near walls or objects.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Regy Rusty posted:

So I'm a complete idiot and got killed in the middle of some NPC dialogue. Specifically the woman behind the door who then asks you to go kill the dragon.

It's real dumb how that's positioned so that one of those dudes can roll up behind you while you're talking.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
When I beat the Spears boss it was to a dude wearing full Havel's and wielding two door shields. Not a bad build but I crushed him with my strength and Yhorm's Great Machete. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Internet Kraken posted:

That's all there is. I don't know why From expects me to give a crap about their stupid painting full of murderous crows.

Ughhhh. I really wanna like this DLC. But for a conclusion to the series its leaving me wanting so badly. The biggest question I had will forever go unanswered because From doesn't care about DS2 enough.

This is how I feel right now. I actually liked this DLC but now that I'm done I'm a little...that's it? That's how this is all going to end?

Also I'm a bit bummed that once again so many of the new enemies are just giant fuckoff smashulons with a billion poise. Thankfully my main is a strength build but I have no idea how people who go dex and shortswords/daggers get through some of this stuff.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
What's up with the "greatsword" that's actually a halberd that the old lady at the beginning of Ringed City sells you? It seems like it completely sucks and was just kind of shoved in there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Soul of Cinder looks like a rejected Soulcalibur boss. It'd be the dumbest looked final Souls boss if it weren't for sexy skeleton queen Nashandra.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Elman posted:

Any idea why I can't enter the optional boss' fog wall?

Because he's still on the bridge.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I feel like the whole sideways city folding in on itself was a massive missed opportunity. Besides bizarre invincible drop points they did absolutely nothing with the concept and it felt just like any other gray stone castle town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So is that crazy turtle monk spin attack spell actually available to the player? That poo poo was hilarious.

It's a bit obnoxious though that those guys can caste their AOE
1) through walls and floors and a good distance away
2) in the air while you're on a ladder