Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Saw G-1 with the wife the other day, we both absolutely loved it. My ideal Godzilla movie would still be one where Godzilla himself is the protagonist, but failing that, having an actually interesting protagonist with a compelling story was nice. A very nice counterpoint to the Legendary films that insist they're about the characters but still build them out of cardboard.

I just strongly appreciate a story about the meaninglessness of self-sacrifice. Koichi and other characters think that he should have died, and that if cowards were less cowardly, things would have turned out differently, and countering that idea is the main theme. My wife pointed out that one interpretation of the title is that if Koichi had carried out his kamikaze attack, or been killed on Odo Island, then who would have been there to carry out the final attack in the end? What would Godzilla have done 'minus one,' without Koichi? Just such a refreshing counterpoint to the million and one war and superhero stories about the courageous necessity of self-sacrifice.

In general though, some of our favorite scenes were some of the campier wanton destruction--ships flying through the air from offscreen, that sort of thing. We were cackling in an otherwise-silent theater. If we wanted more of that, what would be a good next watch? I think I saw someone describe vs. Megalon upthread as "tag-team wrestling," which sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Spoiler for anyone who doesn't know any film monsters named Jean Jacket:

Is NOPE a Kaiju film? I think it's gotta be.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 13, 2023

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say no if mostly because the shark from Jaws is a fairly mundane animal aside from being unusually aggressive, Kaiju need to be more blatantly unnatural than that to qualify

So maybe Deep Blue Sea?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not unless you either substantially re-design the suit or find an actor with a very unusual body (to put it mildly).

Easy enough, if you put it on upside down and backwards.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

surf rock posted:

Maybe they were trying to bridge the CGI designs with the rubber-suit designs and this was the middle-ground?

My take was that they were very intentionally referencing the rubber suit model, with the stiff awkward arms and unmoving face. G's not like that in the initial encounter.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I gave up after the ice monster episode--do we ever see/meet Cate's mom? Thought it was super weird that she had multiple phone calls with this lady who was never seen or heard from again, especially directly contrasted with Other Guy's mom who was clearly a sweetheart.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Every Heisei movie should've ended with the monster getting tricked to fall in a pit.

This would make a great backstory for the Monsterverse films.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Asterite34 posted:

Who still gives a poo poo about the Oscars
Godzilla

Godzilla Plus One begins with an Oscar snub and Godzilla smashing the venue to exact his vengeance. A film about Godzilla's personal quest to be Taken Seriously.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah it should be a community of monsters coming together to beat the poo poo out of rear end in a top hat Godzilla.

You would think this would've been King of the Monsters... but no, all those monsters were there, just offscreen, wreaking havoc too. No, they're on a different continent, you wouldn't know them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

No it made sense. Bioluminescent cells produce a small amount of light. That light moves forward in time, the way everything does. But what Godzilla did was trap the light in a time loop. So the light moves forward in time, but then it starts moving backwards in time. The bioluminescent cells are still producing the same amount of light, but we see double that amount because we are seeing the same light twice.

But once the light, now moving backwards, hits the beginning, it then loops back around and starts moving forwards in time again. So, still the same amount of light, but we're seeing it three times. When it hits the end, it loops back around. We're seeing it four times. And so on, and so on, until there's enough light present at the same time to be a laser beam that cuts through buildings.

This sounds like exactly what I hated about the Three Body Problem: made-up fake science explained in painstakingly technical detail.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

It's the Kojima problem. All this made up poo poo that is deadly serious and explained in insane detail. Not for everyone - including me.

Thing is Kojima takes it to a high camp level, which makes it good again. "NANOMACHINES, SON" is one of the greatest lines in all of gaming and it is dumb as hell.

DeimosRising posted:

but three body problem is also badly written, with deranged and poorly conceived characters and politics and a nice spoonful of misogyny

singular point is pretty decent definitely should not be compared to 3bp

Haven't seen Singular Point, just comparing them on the one attribute. I would pray that nothing is as bad as 3BP and still be beloved, but, well... 3BP is pretty beloved too.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Now if they could just figure out what to do with all the human guest characters...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

dochermes posted:

I give it four years before the MONSTER JUSTICE LEAGUE. Godzilla, Kong, Rodan, Mothra and Barugon meet in the Hall of Justice (or outside in the parking lot) to face the challenge of Mecha-Rabbit.

This is hypothetically what KotM was going to be, just they forgot to actually have Godzilla fight any of the other monsters.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

For a "buddy cop" film I sure didn't see the "buddies" interact even a single time in that trailer...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you look at the domestic box office for the various Monsterverse movies it's been steadily dropping off since 2014:

..... but if you look at the worldwide numbers it's still going strong. G:KOTM was a low point but GvK rebounded pretty strongly and interestingly enough, Skull Island was the top money earner. I guess that might explain why they've leaned so hard into Kong in New Empire? KOTM sidelined Kong and audiences dropped off, but GvK gave him a ton of screentime and the numbers bounced back up again.

KOTM was also just painfully bad. I very nearly didn't see GvK in theaters because I was still recovering from the epic climactic Godzilla vs. Ghidorah fight where we are watching humans hide the entire time instead of actually seeing the fight.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Zore posted:

I'm going with Hiro Protagonist

The discussion at hand is WORST names, not BEST ones.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Big Mac posted:

If ACAB specifically excludes Sid Hatfield, it excludes Godzilla

Godzilla terrorizes urban environments, instinctively wielding indiscriminate violence to no clear purpose. Sounds pretty cop to me!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

I went to a screening and there's a wrestling move in the movie. During the Q&A, Wingard said he wants to put a Stone Cold Stunner in the next one

Giving me very strong Blade II vibes, a film that I wish had gone about 5000x harder on that specific aesthetic. Not sure if I'd agree for G though.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Seeing this movie tonight, having successfully avoided spoilers or many trailers. Looking forward to seeing Godzilla suplex somebody or something like that, and prepared to unfocus my eyes when humans are on screen.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Man, this was a real stinker. Solid 2/5. My wife's verdict: "After Minus One, it's clear that only Japanese people should be allowed to make Godzilla films."

Some thoughts:

Extremely pretty film, loved the color palette and the extremely prevalent use of cool-looking crystals, but very muddy action sequences that reminded me of Transformers in the worst way. Fight choreo was a huge step down from GvK.
Kong is Simba, Scar is obviously Scar, mini-Kong is so clearly Gollum it's actually painful.
Really wish we'd gotten some telepathy subtitles between the girl and the tribe, so we could actually see her reaction instead of Dr. Two PHD's assumptions.
It's a shame that none of Dr. Two PHD's knowledge or expertise or literally anything are ever plot-relevant.
I get the desire to have some comic relief characters, but please give them some jokes to say.
I legit [/i]don't[/i] get the desire to have all this contrived deus-ex-machina tech and fantasy magic that, again, barely ever actually interacts with the plot. Especially the Hollow Earth stuff: what's the fun of a kaiju film that takes place almost entirely away from humanity?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

How come Godzilla isn't in this review? How much of a backseat is our boy taking?

Extreme backseat. Godzilla gets two extremely truncated fights and doesn't actually enter the main plot until the back half of act 3. E: to be clear he's still in the climqctic final fight, so technically like 3 and a half fights.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

site posted:

Yikes. This one's gonna be a skip for me then. Can you spoiler why he's pink now

He took a nap in the lair of a pink kaiju, on the seafloor of the north pole, so he could soak up lots of solar radiation that is directed there by the earth's magnetosphere. Not joking.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Almost every single line of dialogue in this movie is a character delivering exposition, 50% of the time explaining something we just saw.

You definitely don't need to have been high for this to bother you. I'm baffled by folks upthread saying that the human element in this was... anything but painful and unnecessary. We've seen Kong get hurt, he lurches into view groaning in pain, and a human character shouts, "I think he's hurt!" and then, ten seconds later, "Man, he's not doing so good."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kong does try to communicate with Godzilla; he only uses sign language with the little girl, not anyone else he's communicating with.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I hope the idiot character who let the mosquito suck on him because "she needs it more than me" dies of West Nile Virus

I was really hoping this was setting up a later reveal of giant kaiju mosquitos, but of course I was disappointed.

CelticPredator posted:

you want the best character in this whole franchise to die.

:stare: That's the most damning condemnation of this series that I've ever seen.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Trapper was one-dimensional jokes man, didn't have any funny jokes, and took away the one role our protagonist lady should have had, which was Kong expert. Like a rejected side character from a Transformers film.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My question is that they just had a metal Kong tooth in storage just in case?

THAT was the Kong upgrade you found implausible?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sorry, there's only one Casesar appropriate for this thread.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Please, Toho, please, I just want to give you money for English subtitles.

:hai:

I was unable to convince my father-in-law to see G-1 in theaters, but I can 1000% get him on board with a blu ray. If I could get the drat blu ray!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ungulateman posted:

Minus One is basically that quote about how patriotism isn't about dying for your country, but about making the enemy's poor bastards die for theirs.

Couldn't disagree with this more. We never see a single one of "the poor bastards" and Godzilla doesn't even die. The thrust I got from the film is that patriotism isn't about dying for your country, it's about living for it, and helping others live.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love Godzilla Minus One but it feels like part of the message is "The Imperial Japanese Army did nothing wrong and was only bad because it was failed by the weak Brass and cowardly politicians. Which is why a private Freikorps formed by strong and noble WW2 veterans is good and noble because only True patriots can combat a giant nuclear dinosaur without interference from the weak, globalist, and decadent state."

"The army did nothing wrong, except for the part of the army that makes it an army" is an interesting take for sure. Care to point out any examples of a "globalist, decadent state" in the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

where the biggest criticism of the Nazi regime is "they didn't give us enough armor",

I'm begging you to watch the movie again if you think this has any relation to what actually happens in the film. The biggest criticism of the Japanese military is "they sent us all to certain deaths for no reason, and then vilified us if we didn't actually die." If you think that the main theme of the film is anything other than "living for a reason is better than dying for no reason", idk what to tell you other than to give it another go.