Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Mechgodzilla is a pretty iconic Godzilla kaiju though, right up there with Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah. If they don't have MechaG outright, they'll tease it or reference it.

Re: Gigan chat

Gigan would make an interesting example of a "modern" kaiju: one humanity accidentally creates. Big G in the new Monsterverse is ancient and not particularly tied to the atom bomb in this iteration so Gigan being the result of rogue genetic modification/nanotech would be apropos for today's audience. Ancient evolutionary alpha predator vs modern engineered experiment gone wrong. It's a pretty good dichotomy if the setup is remotely believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Why does G only look a few feet taller than the trees he's around? I get that the plant life grew too but it makes him look small by comparison.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

He seems fat.

Literally the child of G 2014 and Shin.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The only thing off with the "still growing line" is that the skeletons of his parents aren't any bigger than him. If he is still growing, his parents died young, too. I guess that's possible but it seems weird to me.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla has two natures joined in a single hypostasis. The first is the physical, mortal Godzillasaurus, the last of his kind (before the incarnation of Godzilla Jr). The second is the divine godforce, the unstoppable embodiment of the nuclear age. The flesh of Godzilla may be used to create new life, as in the G-Cells that made Biollante and Space Godzilla, or the skeleton that made Kiryu, but both of these lacked access to the divine Logos and thus aren't really Godzilla. Post Resurrection Godzilla of 1984, however, was the same being as the 1954 Goji and retained both natures.

How Chalcedonian of you. The real question is whether or not Godzilla proceeds from both the nuclear bomb and evolutionary fitness (G-cells) or just the nuclear bomb. ;)

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Great trailer. G14 really set the stage that the monsters in the film really couldn't give a drat about humanity because we were beneath their notice. Godzilla was a force of nature (more like an ageless, invincible avatar of the Earth) meant to restore balance. In this film, it appears he's in the same role though where Rodan and Mothra fit in, I don't know. Obviously Ghidorah is the "bad guy" but he seems to be something truly malicious. If the snippets from the Monarch Sciences website are literal, Ghidorah can literally destroy mankind just by flying around. We'll fight back, sure, but the army never can stop the monsters.

Godzilla was only briefly shown in the trailer, and I think for good reason. Rodan and Mothra, even Ghidorah, will probably be showcased more than Big G in the final cut because the mystique of Godzilla in these films is that he's transcendent in some fashion. Ghidorah, though bigger and more catastrophic, is a usurper and false king. I love the poster because it makes Godzilla look like a gnat. When Godzilla is the perceived underdog, that's a hell of a thing.

(I keep fearing that this movie will completely nuke my hope for Godzilla vs. Kong. If Godzilla can stop something on the scale of Ghidorah, what the hell is Kong going to do, or at least, how ham-fisted and arbitrary will the plot be that Godzilla is challenged by him?)

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Ideal surprise scenario, Godzilla CAN'T stop something on the scale of Ghidorah alone and her entire speech happens halfway through the movie and is in reference to awakening King Kong.

Oh, there'd be zero tension if Godzilla could stop Ghidorah on his own. I think Godzilla will get a crack at Ghidorah and lose in the second act (setting up the third) but at the end of the day, he's going to be one landing the coup de grace. Kong making an appearance could happen, as could half a dozen of the other monsters alluded to in the Monarch ARG. This film could be more of a mash-up of Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster and Destroy All Monsters. I would be down for a Destroy All Monsters beatdown.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Skull Island might actually be closer to a microcosm of Earth than we know. Without a "rightful" protector (Kong/Godzilla), some other more malevolent force will arise and scourge the island/planet. Perhaps where the conflict arises is that Kong has never been exposed to the outside world and thinks he's supposed to clean up the mess made by [insert monster antagonist here] meanwhile Godzilla, who's been doing it for millennia, shows up too and is like "damned dirty ape is trying to steal my job." Conflict ensues and bad monster gets away. Of course, they team up in the end. Maybe Kong getting a good old-fashioned rear end-whuppin' is exactly what he needs to figure out where he is in the pecking order but that frees him to be much more creative than the lumbering Godzilla who repeatedly makes the mistake of thinking he can simply overpower everything. The ape's cleverness paired with the ancient behemoth's brute strength is what is necessary to win the day.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Doesn't have the awe factor of the first trailer but if you want to see giant monsters tear stuff up, this was it. (The first trailer's music+visuals were perfect).

I think we'll have a Burning Godzilla power up. I also think Tyrion Lannister is hedging his bets on Ghidorah winning (which he will win Round 1). The rematch should be pretty epic, though.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Who's to say Godzilla doesn't go into meltdown mode to kill KG and gets severely weakened/dies in the process? The "Godzilla" that Kong fights may be a juvenile, too.

MechaG coming in for KvG would make sense, though. The impetus would be virtually identical to the backstory of Pacific Rim: monsters came up out of nowhere and humanity has to unite to defend itself. Their Jaeger is MechaG or hell, Jet Jaguar. If KG does have an alien origin, MechaG might not even be the true threat - here comes Gigan!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Hype-level: Off the charts.

My 10-year old self wanted to see this 25 years ago but I'll be content with seeing it at all. Bonus points: my 12 year-old son will get to experience this as a child. He's already beyond excited.

Unlike, say Pacific Rim, I don't feel like we've seen the tip of the iceberg yet. I will save myself from a lot more of the tv spots but the spectacle is really hitting the right notes. I have no idea how GvK is going to remotely top this.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I shouldn't have watched that...but I'm so glad I did.

They really have kept the G'14 approach of scale. And King G is unapologetically sinister. I love it. The MUTOs actually had a kind of warmth to them due to their need to reproduce but not the Dragon. Man.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Katrina was indeed a catastrophe (I was part of the relief effort) but the hurricane’s power wasn’t found in it’s fury and destruction. The true horror was in revealing the dark underbelly of man-made complacency, racism, and hubris. For a Godzilla film to tap into that, you’d have to focus less on the monster and more on the relief effort. Big G would literally be there for the prologue and that’s it. Pacific Rim’s sorta did this and we saw humanity’s response: create a new monster to fight the identified one. The difference, of course, is that you can’t kill the real monster of the Katrina Godzilla story without owning up to our own complicity.

But even Katrina, I’d say, is no Hiroshima (or the fire bombing of Tokyo) in terms of existential dread. America doesn’t have an analog that holds a candle to that. It’s been a long time since America has felt impotent to a threat from without.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Didn't mean to start a discussion on blackface. I am fully willing to reopen the can of worms regarding G'14 though.

I just rewatched it for the first time since it was in theaters almost ten years ago. At the time I was kinda disappointed for all the typical stupid reasons (Cranston getting offed early on, not enough focus on Godzilla) but now that I've had nearly a decade to come to terms with that (and having seen its two sequels) I gotta say: it's absolutely fantastic.

One of my new favorite godzilla movies ever. Don't think I've ever turned such a hard corner on a movie before.

G14 was very intentional in conveying “awe” rather than “spectacle.” I feel the sequels reversed that and were lesser for it. The cat and mouse showing Big G was intended to make the third act that much more awe-inspiring when he fully appeared. Literally, god made manifest.

None of the other movies really captured that feeling of being insignificant in the presence of these giants among us. I will concede that they should have had a better character than Generic Army Guy as the POV for the narrative beats but it’s reverence for Godzilla was well done and its dedication to the central conceit (showing him too much cheapens the impact) is commendable.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, Minus One Godzilla is a complete 180 from Shin.

Shin was this indifferent, crazed monstrosity that destroyed simply by existing. Minus One appears willful, malicious even. He wants to kill you. Not even G'54 was portrayed this way.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Saw it earlier today and it was very good.

- Main Plot My suspension of disbelief took a pretty huge hit when the ex-Destroyer Captain was said during the plans committee "The US/Japanese government cannot help because it would escalate the Cold War." This was after you just saw a 50 m giant creature nuke an entire city and walk away. I know this is a "small" film focused on just a few characters but Big G is existential threat to more than just Japan, hell, Godzilla is a nuclear superpower stronger than the US or USSR. That said, private citizens taking over and coming up with a haphazard plan, with nods to the original O2 Destroyer, and then the Kid coming to the rescue with tugs was very well executed. It made you wonder if it could work (decompression is no joke) and was feasible versus the ersatz nuclear bomb Serizawa had created in '54. That no one died...that was quite the swerve.

- Big G The first attack was pretty brutal. The fact that the locals knew what it was and named it was kind of a "huh?" moment but apparently Godzilla was just a curiosity they knew to leave alone. At that size, I wonder if the 20mm guns would have done something or probably not. The quick shot of Bikini Atoll burning Godzilla's skin gave enough of a setup to explain the growth and pissed off nature. He was pretty stilted on land, distractingly so, but whenever he was in the water, attacking the cruiser, and all that, he was amazing. The atomic breath scene, you know the one, was chilling. Also, after Plan B failed and he was charging up again, the white splotches of decompression, the glow, seething with anger and pain...that was an absolute demon of a take on the creature. Shin was always in agony but this Godzilla hated everyone on those boats.

- Ending I also noticed the German print on the plane's seat and thought it curious. It wasn't until the "Oh, and one more thing..." that I figured out the ejector seat. That, and the speech prior specifically mentioned it. The telegram was also an immediate "She's alive". There's nothing wrong with a happy ending, as that seemed to be the driving thrust of the survivor's guilt and "my war isn't over" motif. It was time to move on and live again, as a country and culture. I didn't think it was too sappy but it was a little out of left field. The black ooze on her neck and the regenerating core of Godzilla obviously means it wasn't a total victory but if that's ever explored in a sequel, I'd welcome it.

Easily a top 3 G-film and just as a movie itself, I'd give it a 8.5/10. I like the direction they went with it and would love to see another in the same vein.

Edit: GxK trailer - and then you go this direction with it. You have two CG creatures, completely dwarfed by their surroundings, lacking any gravitas whatsoever. And now the big bad is a rogue Kong? This feels like Jurassic World.

FooF fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 3, 2023

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mandrel posted:

monsterverse rules. don't get me wrong, i greatly preferred the 2014/Skull Island tone or the KOTM tone of awe, but i grew up on poo poo like godzilla vs megalon so having the franchise take this creative direction feels entirely appropriate. much in the same way despite wanting to see more Godzilla myself, I appreciated how 2014 held back showing him too much

I come from the same era but I never liked the Showa stuff. I had two video tapes of Godzilla growing up: vs. Megalon and vs. Biollante. Even as a kid, there was ton of cognitive dissonance between Jet Jaguar and Godzilla being ringed in by fire by the Megalon and Gigan and this weird, funky jazz flute music playing in the background. It's like the two heroes were in a bad way but the music and overall tone was that of a Saturday morning kid's show. There were no stakes at all. Contrast that to vs. Biollante where Godzilla is getting impaled, acid sprayed, and nearly eaten. It was a darker tone but to me, felt less cartoonish, even as a kid.

G'14 was a massive step in the right direction, Skull Island followed suit. KotM looked like it had just upped the ante but instead got into more hijinks. GvK jumped the shark entirely and it looks like GxK is going to double down even on that. The next film will have Godzilla and a Jaeger-type robot fighting Gigan and a giant cockroach that burrows and spits fire...on the moon. Then we will have come full circle.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Now that I've reflected on -1 a bit more, my favorite scene is the minesweeper bit with Godzilla chasing. As an audience, we're unsure of Big G's capabilities at this point. All we know is that he's huge and pissed off, but kind of slow.

Over the course of this sequence, it's revealed the 15mm is completely ineffective. This seems fairly obvious but now it's proven. Next, the mines get dropped on G. The superficial, remote-detonated one does absolutely nothing, though the characters pause momentarily because they can't see through the smoke. "Did we get him?" the characters ask. As an audience, we're certain it didn't, but the pause is just long enough to think about it for a second. After all, that was a decent explosion. Then there's the mine in the mouth. There's good tension, good build up, and the hero uses that marksmen aim that was established earlier. Boom. Godzilla's side of his head is blown clean off. The audience believes for a second "Holy poo poo, they actually hurt him! They might have a chance!" and after that brief hope note, G's face instantly heals. "Holy poo poo, they don't have a chance in hell" is the immediate reaction. As the crew embrace their imminent demise, a heavy cruiser suddenly broadsides the monster. It was a clean shot and Godzilla goes down. Again, the audience is thinking "now that was a proper attack and G looked hurt." But, Godzilla roars out of the waves and begins viciously mauling the cruiser. As he's tearing it apart, you see two of the turrets slowly traverse toward the gut of Godzilla and you realize this is going to be a point blank shot from truly huge guns. Boom. Godzilla slumps off the wrecked ship and into the waves. But, the audience is savvy now: there's no way G is down for the count. The ocean glows blue, the characters on the minesweeper react as we do, "What's that...?" Boom. Complete and utter obliteration of one of humanity's strongest weapons, but not only that, we also see that Godzilla is learning. He's not going to wrestle battleships with his claws anymore. He's going to nuke them from orbit. (It's the only way to be sure.) "Holy poo poo, we're completely hosed." the audience rightfully concludes.

It's a great "show-don't-tell" moment in the film that utilizes everything it has taught us about the characters and Godzilla, but then goes further to establish the threat level. Of course, not to be outdone, Big G's goes on to make the previous scene look like a warm-up. Which it was! I think it was just a great layering of how the stakes keep getting higher and higher.

FooF fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 6, 2023

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And, like, no. Godzilla’s always been popular, and probably 3/4 of the movies are just solid kino. There’s a mild barrier for entry because everything released (up ‘til very recently) has presumed some familiarity with the character, but that’s hardly insurmountable. And G-1 isn’t really much of an outlier for the series.

Godzilla has reached nearly the same level as Superman/Batman in the public consciousness in terms of knowing the origin story without having to tell it. The fact that G-1 didn't really delve into where the hell the giant monster came from doesn't bother me in the least. Even if you didn't know anything about the creature beforehand, what explanation could be given that makes any sense at all? A scientist spewing exposition doesn't add anything. I was mildly surprised they went with "here be dragons" but that's as good of reason as any. I think part of the terror of Godzilla is something like that exists and we didn't know it. Like, how could we not know? Yet, there it is, stomping a major city.

I'm glad the movie is doing well, though. It deserves it.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Godzilla Megathread: Look at this kaiju’s huge balls of fire

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Shikishima's extreme guilt over the casualties on Odo Island can only be explained if he believed the guns would have stopped the monster. That is why he sees himself as such a failure and deserving of being miserable. Now, whether that belief is grounded in reality or not, we'll never know but that was his perception at least. The thing is, at least from my memory of it, Godzilla came out of the sea in the first attack already hostile. Yes, the soldiers made it worse by shooting, but Dino-G seemed malicious from the jump.

That being said, even if he had pulled the trigger, he was as good as dead. The monster would have been injured (potentially) but would have attacked the plane. It would have been a kamikaze attack all over again. Considering the character hadn't grown at all narratively, it's no wonder he couldn't go through with it. He did the right thing for the wrong reason. Yet, the "Death vs. Life" reading does give a good framework as to why his fear ended up saving the country. Maybe blindly throwing away God-given fear in the name of culture and honor is a bad thing?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I know it’s contentious here but I want a real pacific rim 2. Or at least a new score with the main theme blaring everywhere

:same:

Honestly, though, how absolutely batshit awesome would it have been if Godzilla was the Category 5 at the end.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

The intended Destroy All Monsters! viewing experience is for you to catch it on the Sci Fi Channel on a lazy Saturday morning, only half watching it as you eat your poptarts and play with your Imperial Godzilla figure with the red lips, looking up whenever a monster is on screen to cheer it on.

You're drat right. My Imperial Godzilla has far less silver on his chest than most and proudly holds a Lego Superman in his mighty claw to this day. Got him for a buck at a garage sale like 35 years ago. Best dollar I ever spent. :krakken:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Fury Road, maybe?

Ha, that was the first one that came to mind for me, too.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Legendary Goji was giving off this vibe back in G’14 and he’s still at it a decade later…

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
This will be the first Godzilla film I intentionally skip in my life. I was pretty meh on GvK but dutifully went and saw it. This looks like a Kong movie with a special appearance by Godzilla. It also doubles down on the batshit absurdity of the previous film, which I didn’t like at all. Even as a popcorn flick, this is too much for me. Old man yells at cloud and all that but I don’t like how frenetic the franchise became. It’s just a video game cinematic now, which is a shame because Legendary’s original take in G’14 was pretty good.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I think I'll still go and see it but this echoes how I feel. I just wish there was something substantial to grasp onto, likable human characters or world building, something, but each of the Legendary films feels so shallow now and disconnected from any interesting narrative they could be pushing.

I feel like the Hollow Earth was also a massive mistake visually. It's hard to be invested in the scale of the Titan's when there aren't any real world signifiers around.

For example in this newest trailer the fight between Kong and Scar in the cave might as well be a scene from Planet of the Apes. They loose their sense of being massive.

Yeah that’s the cardinal sin of the movie: you made Godzilla feel small. The only time you should ever attempt that is to highlight the sheer amount of destruction he’s caused (Shin did this to great effect). But, now, you have kaiju-sized amphitheaters with 200 foot-tall monkeys that, yes, looks like a normal thing for normal people to do.

The cast, the plot, etc., can be overlooked as schlock but don’t rob Big G of the “big” part.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The general mass public are not the same kind of Godzilla fans that we insane people are. I may think it looks really dumb and bad but fun but if I was 10 years old now like when I saw Godzilla vs. Megalon in the theater I would be making GBS threads my pants at how loving awesome it looks and want to see G & KK team up to beat the poo poo out of evil monkey.

This may be true, but even other younger G fans I’ve talked to say it looks like shite. As one 17-year old poignantly stated: “It looks like a bad Transformers.” (Which implies there’s a good one, but I digress). Even for a popcorn flick, it’s not gaining traction among the group of people who normally love this stuff.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think enough people have apple to really make a splash

But I also don’t think the monsterverse is “in the pits”

Maybe gxk wil be bad but it’s got some hype around it, and people didn’t just go see minus one because it was THE TRUE GODZILLA, they saw it because it has Godzilla lol

People loving love Godzilla.

True, but people love superheroes and that whole genre was run into the ground due to poor storytelling. Minus One had legs not just because Godzilla was in it but he was used properly. There was an actual story there.

CelticPredator posted:

I didn’t appreciate Godzilla until seeing 2014 opening night and getting hyped when he fired his atomic breath. Then it all made sense:

I remember on opening night for me, the extremely brief foreshadowing before the atomic breath (the camera pans down to an oriental dragon) some guy goes “Aww…shiiiiiit….” and in unison the whole crowd started clapping. Then once the SFX started everyone just kind of held their breath. It was a fun moment.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

The Big G himself. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

GxK opinions

Overall it was pretty mediocre, definitely the worst Monsterverse film so far, nevertheless I don't regret seeing big monke and giant lizard in the cinema.

The script was complete chaos, all sorts of plotlines tripping over each other, and Mothra and Godzilla were shoehorned into what was clearly a story about Kong first and foremost. Everyone was right of course about the problems with scale in the Hollow Earth. However the biggest problem with the film was simply that it failed to sell me on the villains. After Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla and the Skull Crawlers, it was just too hard to feel like the characters or the world were seriously threatened by... a skinny version of Kong and a rejected character design from How To Train Your Dragon.

All that said, I still enjoyed the fights, and I laughed when Scar King punted that one monkey straight into the lava.

Haven’t seen it but that pretty much matches my expectations.