Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There was a time that being developed by Platinum caused me to be interested, but after so many flops recently I can't really bring myself to care about any new games they are making.

I'll say right now that this is a dumb opinion to hold.

Their Activision games were provided with limited budget and tight deadlines and they only assisted with programming duties for Star Fox. Platinum hasn't developed and released a full, big-name title since Bayonetta 2. Everything since then has just been grunt work to keep the lights on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Personally I think Bayonetta isn't that great and Bayonetta 2 is not that great but also more of the same. :shrug:

I wasn't thrilled by Bayo2 either (God I hated Loki) but the combat was still tight as a drum, which is what you need to look out for when Platinum's on duty. It's their budget titles like TMNT and Korra that lacked well-developed combat mechanics, and got rightly lambasted for it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motto posted:

Choice quotes from the TGS presentation (translations by @RyougaSaotome):

Cherish this madman.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The construction equipment robots are named after Marxist philosophers, huh.

I guess the machines really did reclaim the means of production.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bogart posted:

Everyone's explanation of YT was enticing enough that I read all the Drakengard lps and I am fully prepared for the insanity that surely follows in NieR.

Nier is relatively reserved, honestly. It's quirky, but Yoko never really topped the full-throated lunacy that went down in the first Drakengard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's actually established in Drakengard's C ending. D2 has no redeeming qualities.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Badingading posted:

At least someone got a happy ending :unsmith:

How important is it to play/watch an LP of Drakengard 3 in catching up for Automata? I've already gone through The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard 1 and it's my understanding from earlier in this thread that 2 is fairly irrelevant to the Nier timeline.

It couldn't hurt to give Id's LP a look. D3's an interesting game, and there's no telling how/if it'll be connected to Nier 2. It does some weird stuff with alternate timelines that leaves its connections a little vague.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hopefully this doesn't completely tank Platinum's bottom line. They haven't been doing too well lately.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Vanquishs' story is that russian robots have taken over the space microwave(and popcorned a city with it) and now Not-Hillary is sending you, ex football player turned super soldier, plus the entire american space army to get it back.

If you can't genuinely appreciate how stupid that premise is then I don't know what to tell you.

It ends on a cliffhanger with the bad guy winning and shoves unskippable "walk slowly while talking on a codec" scenes in your face after every other gunfight.

Vanquish's plot was awful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

I downloaded the Automata demo on a whim not knowing anything about nier a few days back, played through it not realizing at all it was made by the Bayonetta team and now am super looking forward to the release. I then went on a binge watching a LP of nier and some wiki diving and I have a question which may or may not have an answer?

So, since Gestalt Nier is dead/gone, the the world is effectively doomed as all remaining gestalts will go feral, thus causing their associated replicants to get the black scrawl and die right? So with this in mind how exactly is there some humans/androids left for Automata? Or is this supposed to be a mystery?

Mystery.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Monomythian posted:

Automata apparently has hidden items you can find through hearing high frequency sounds when you are near them, you know the kind only kids and dogs can hear.

The absolute madman.

Oh bother, I've had tinnitus for a while so I already get those occasional "wait, is that sound coming from inside or outside my head" moments and now this videogames man is accessorizing it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Look on the bright side, climate change will probably reduce our standard of living by an unimaginable degree long before most of our senses have a chance to noticeably degenerate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

I can just barely hear 18 without turning my volume up
19 and up is a no-go

I was able to hear the full range except 22 kHz but I had to turn my volume way up.

Think I got something out of the 22 kHz range as well but it was more "felt" than heard so I don't know if it was psychosomatic or not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Has anyone else noticed a weird "iris" effect when playing this? The corners of my TV during gameplay seem darker than usual, making it look like the game's being viewed through an eye or something. Don't know if it's just me being neurotic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Goodness me, there's a lot of backtracking going on here.

Is this one of Yoko Taro's little japes or do I eventually get a more expedient way to move around the map?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flubby posted:

Been going through doing all the quests on my 2nd play through, on my way to the B ending. I just beat all three Speed Star races and...I think I've lost the will to keep playing. That was my Supply Lines. That was the worst. What the gently caress whoever made that? What's wrong with you?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm in the early game and there's a sidequest mark on the corner of a building in the city area that doesn't actually appear to point to anything - there's no one to talk to and nothing to check. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just want to mention that the "iris" effect I talked about earlier with the unusually deep shadowing at the corners of the screen is definitely real - in the desert, the lens flares even follow the curve. For whatever reason the screen is always subtly lit to make it look like an eye.

It's kind of annoying but I'm glad it's unique to this game, I thought my TV was on the blink.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Titanium Alloy farming is going to hurt, isn't it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So obvious question maybe, but is there actually any benefit to playing on higher difficulties? I'm decent at Platinum games but "every enemy hits three times as hard" mixed with the Dark Souls-esque equipment loss system doesn't seem like a great time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I now learned that I made my way through the entirety of Route A without ever encountering Emil, which is very annoying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

You ran into him when going through the shopping mall to get to the forest.

I mean after that. I know he runs a materials shop, but I figured you'd encounter it as part of the story or something. Nope, he's just a-puttering around after an arbitrary point in the plot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

99% of what he sells is useless.

Well the other 1% is Titanium Alloy so it would have been really appreciated!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The combat system was pretty deep and felt really good to play, even if it was possible to cheese your way through the whole game somehow. I don't own a Wii U so I don't know what Bayonetta 2 was like

You weren't missing much. It was a weak sequel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

9S should be a girl

It wouldn't be a Yoko Taro game without a sympathetic young boy to torture.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

I'm up for whatever as long as it shows whats BEHIND THE loving ELEVATORS :argh:

Stop! If you stay there much longer you'll be overcome with rage!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

She laughs as the creepy music starts to play and tells you that 11B used to be an abusive rear end in a top hat because she wasn't a combat model, and now that she knows 11B is dead, she doesn't have to be afraid anymore and thinks it's hilarious that 11B went out running away like a coward.

The number of sidequests that take a nosedive into creepytown at the very end seems to be way higher than Nier but it hasn't lost its edge yet.

they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I'm deep into Route B and still keeping the difficulty on Normal because 9S' gameplay suuuuucks and I want it over with as quickly as possible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Is there some trick to beating the Speed Star robot? I managed to win the first race by the skin of my teeth but I can never quite beat him to the finish line in the second round.

You can beat him in the first and second rounds just by topping up on Movement Speed and Evade Range chips, but the third requires creative thinking. Either abuse Speed Salves or, better yet, synthesize a high-level Overclock chip and dodge an enemy attack to make the world stop for a little while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Third fight you can also win just with speed boost chips

Yeah, but fuuuuck that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Well while I was combing the entire motherfucking desert looking for artifacts I made the mistake of returning to the boss arena. Five seconds after I hit ground level a screaming can of Campbell's Soup crashed into me and blew himself up, erasing my entire life bar. I'm guessing this is one of those areas meant to be finished after you finish the first route?

It's for material farming. The enemies there never stop spawning.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RanKizama posted:

Most everything can be easily farmed or bought except for the Pure Water. That's where my hangup is.

Fortunately you only need 20 of those and they're confined to a very small and easily-navigated zone.

It's not good, but the first Nier's material farming grew a callus over my heart.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the magic. They don't even use the word once in the game, do they? It's good.

It's used when you're fighting Emil's clones in the desert. The Pod also makes it sound like magic is bad, bad news for even android defenses.

On that note I spoiled myself on the Emil clone battle and ohhhhh nooooooo :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Do they explain why it got tilted like that?

A screaming mother-god borne from toothy giant babies beyond the reaches of space collapsed into virus-salt and infected the world with magic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm going to maintain that the difficulty settings are completely out of whack. I steamroll everything on Normal but when I try to turn it up to Hard I get two-shotted by everything even with a decent chip loadout and it's a miserable experience. The jump in enemy damage output is just way too high.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Iretep posted:

I think the issue is the leveling system. Once you have 5 levels over an enemy they wont usually one shot you anymore on hard. Doing my second playthrough im starting to think the difficulty thing could have been managed much better if there was no leveling up and challange was purely controlled by the chip system.

Mostly I'm pissed because I finally got Emil's high-end material shop to spawn, stocked up, then got two-shotted on my way to Masamune.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It doesn't make everything clear even on a mechanical level. It barely tells you jack poo poo about chips and why you should use them, especially when hard is balanced on you getting a +6-8 Melee/Ranged def chip installed depending on what you're doing.

That's lead to more than one person whining about how unfair Hard is when it's perfectly manageable if you know what you're doing. Definitely should have done a better job of telling you to play this ARPG like an RPG.

I don't want to chew up a quarter of my bar on a +6 chip and leave all the more interesting ones to gather dust just so a single passing bullet doesn't explode me, and I don't want to do yet more grinding for Diamond chips to fuse (I've seriously gotten like two diamond "defense" chips in over 30 hours of play). It's unbalanced.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Then don't play hard mode.

At which point I can facetank everything in the game with minimal effort because the enemies' attack strength is about a fifth as high as it is on Hard.

It's unbalanced.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Then accept that you can't use every single toy without consequence because the game actually wants you to actually consider your character build on this difficulty.

Grinding to get the highest possible level of defense chip so you can survive more than one hit isn't "considering your character build," it's trying to circumvent lazily implemented difficulty settings.

Mostly I'm irritated because Platinum has historically been great at fair, innovative use of Hard modes etc, but this game does it in the most half-assed way possible - jack up enemy damage values to the stratosphere, and then force you to go through a lot of tedious RNG accessory grinding if you want to feel like you're not sleepwalking through everything. It's unbalanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You don't need "only" diamond chips or any grinding for hard - in fact i fused a ton of regular lovely chips and did just fine -, just get to 128 slots asap, use the missile pod if you dislike manual aiming, put a bit of thought in your loadouts and weapons+upgrades and don't horribly suck at dodging or using healing items mid fight. If you don't want to put forth the minimal effort for any of those things, normal with pod autoaim is your cruise control.

like, i don't know what you're hoping to convince us of here. Hard in this game is nowhere near as punishing as it was in MGR, you have so many options besides "git gud".

MGR was way, way less punishing because you actually could get through on skill alone. I burned through over 60 Med Heals on the desert boss at the beginning of Route C because I was getting juggled in every direction by projectile attacks and a single hit instantly knocked me into Critical status. It's absurd. The game seems to use its RPG trappings as an excuse for way sloppier design.