Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Emil is probably somewhere, as the monsters sort of look similar aesthetically in the head region. The Drakengard 3 thing is pretty spoilery so here goes, there's a bunch of human looking robots running around in Drakengard 3 who are recording the timelines and various splits that certain decisions and changes create, so people assume they'll be here too as this is a game about automatons.

Neither of these are confirmed, they're just based on speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I reckon Eve is Kaine but the other way around. It's a female shade fused with a male body instead of a male shade fused with a relatively female body. Also new Devola and Popola suggests that someone has designed updated models for the overseer androids, even if they aren't being used for that purpose anymore.

Also just noticed Adam and Eve appropriately have a matched pair of gloves, so they're probably connected somehow. Admittedly the names alone suggest that they have a connection anyway.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah when I played as 9S I used Spears mostly, because I figured they fit the best and have the most useful throw attack. Also there's a specific spear that I like a lot for it's bonus effect, Spear of the Usurper feels right for him

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Seems the stream is just to promote all of the new merchandise, the release of the GOTY edition, and the SINoALICE tie-in with OG Nier. However, they did mention that the current Steam version of Automata is being replaced by the new version, whatever that means. Perhaps like the Dark Souls 1 remaster where the original won't be available for purchase anymore once GOTY comes out.

Hopefully it means the computer version will be better optomized now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If I had to make a suggestion, the first two routes should have been one with character choice and either of the endings opens up the second half of the story. Just streamline it a little without removing any actual content.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

History Comes Inside! posted:

Does the trophy still trigger if you self destruct her clothes off first?

Unless your specific thing is looking up fictional skirts then surely that's the better stealthy play anyway for the aspiring robot perv.

Well it does trigger but you still have to do the camera movement, it's actually specifically triggering the check in the game for 2B to move out of view and force the camera to reset. It activates in weird places because that particular check for camera orientation is probably always running even in places where you cannot change the angle. You also can get it from climbing ladders quite easily.

9S's version requires you to self destruct his clothes though, not that he minds.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also the short shorts aren’t much of a change to 9S normal clothing, the same cannot be said of 2B losing her skirt to just be in her leotard.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

i am tim! posted:

There’s a small handful of us that are hoping the collision of NieR:A stuff and Final Fantasy results in the raid progressing back through to the Drakengard games.

I wanna fight an angry Caim.

Nah, Caim isn’t the raid boss. He’s the mechanics for the raid boss which is the dragon, because between the two I’m pretty sure the dragon is easier to kill.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's specifically 9S discovering the truth of YorHA is basically guaranteed by his very design, and every time he discovers it, or in some other way becomes compromised, 2B is to kill him and thus reset him back to a fresh 9S. This doesn't work totally, which is why he sometimes freaks out from memory leakage, and 9S has hacked his own baseline capabilities at least once (no other S model can use melee weapons, that's something he self-installed and has been allowed to keep through resets). I think there's stuff about the androids who created YorHA as the baseline personalities for each number kind of hating 9 but I don't remember all the extra information.

2B herself is kind of in love with 9S, and has to kill him over and over and over and over again. Hence her talk about how it always ends this way during the first route. 9S is also kind of in love with 2B, to the point that in at least one of his lives he discovers the truth, successfully escapes, and ultimately comes back to accept his death because he knows if 2E can't kill him she herself will be decomissioned even with the knowledge that she's killed him several times. She talks about the no emotions thing and tries to hold onto it so hard because if she doesn't she'd break totally from her life of slaughtering the person who matters most in the world to her.

Hikaki posted:

I never thought any of the relationships in the game were sexual, being that everyone is an android or machine with no sexual desire or capability. I don't think he was the selfish one either; I feel like 2B would be better described that way since she makes the decision to be with him despite what she has to do.

Official Word of God from a tweet on the capability thing is that androids are like Adam/Eve Barbie Doll style when created, but can choose to later have parts installed/modified if they so wish.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Wasn't it that all scout units were monitored by executioners? The situation wasn't unique to 9S so it would make sense they had to come up with some sort of plan to stop scouts from going rogue.

9S is explicitly the best Scout and basically the only one ever assigned to direct combat missions for the most part. His little speech about being an advanced model isn’t idle boasting but the actual truth as far as I know, he’s the most advanced Scout model ever made and so the only one who is a consistent threat in this way. Presumably if the other ones find out they’re hunted down, but 9S is such a threat because he always finds out, his curiosity and capabilities are too great to avoid it.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Doesn't 9S say that scanners typically work alone?

He does, very early on. They’re non-combat scouts and research units who go alone, learn valuable information and report back to YoRHA so the others can be sent in successfully. 9S partnership with 2B is unique.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Update: the reward for bringing animal medicine is that the animal caretaker robot gives you five beast hides anyways. HE is the rear end in a top hat.

Those were ethically sourced from beasts who died of natural causes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Okay Batman riddle me this

Whats the symbolism of access points looking like vending machines

Military Industrial Complex turning war into consumerism. But also ultimately despite all the talk of YoRHA being elites, they're treated as expendables. The flight machines are more valuable to their organization than any individual android, such that they're literally mass produced in vending machines to have pointless personalities and appearances printed over mass produced dolls.

Party Boat posted:

It's implied (if not outright stated at some point) that fast travel just transports your consciousness to another 2B body that's comatose in the fast travel point. It's another little joke about how android life is a disposable commodity.

This but it isn't even a 2B body, it's just a generic featureless android muscle doll that's then given a layer of skin and clothes based on 2B's personal consciousness data. YoRHA androids actually look like those featureless corpses that players leave behind or are used as scene dressing in a few locations. They're most notable in the lead up to Adam's birth, or during the fight against Beauvoir.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 14, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

I love this game and have played through it multiple times. But I’ll admit, I never picked up on the fact that 2B and 9S have gone through this murder cycle more than the couple times we see in the game. Is that specifically stated anywhere? I understand 2Bs true mission and designation, but what tells us they’ve even worked together before that initial Goliath fight?

The answer is in game it's straight up implied by how 2B reacts to the Goliath Fight ending and having to kill 9S that she's done this a few times, we also later see her memories which show a lot more history than the game accounts for, and there's stuff with 9S that also implies he's subconsciously aware of the cycle because of self-hacking. Lastly extra-content from stories and the theatrical performance spell it out, 2B's had to kill 9S over 200 times in total or something close, and it wears her down like the weight of the world, basically all the first time meeting stuff is for 9S benefit and the Commander and both Operators are actually aware of this and help to hide it, although nobody but the Commander and 2B/E know her true purpose.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe for the final raid you'll have to defeat Caim riding Angelus.

That sounds like a fight that nobody would ever win though. Based on Drakengard 2 the fight would be about killing Angelus because killing Caim is a pipe-dream at best.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I recall reading that Papa Neir and Bro Neir both technically existed, and whether the father or the brother dies is a timeline difference.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Takes place after ending D, and has Kaine go to the Forest of Myth to talk to the huge tree that's actually a Replicant system reset switch. After trashing the thing, she's able to restore Nier to life using the Forests memories of him when he first appeared in the village.

The ending got cut due to budget constraints. Its why you can see that the Tree has an entrance to its insides, but you can't walk through it.

It's also probably the ending that leads to Automata, although which of them does really isn't important because nothing really comes up.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Wonder if this means they removed the old DLC outfits, which had Kaine's package on full display.

Considering there were reports that it was reduced in size (based on comparisons between cutscenes old and new in trailers), I would say they probably are but maybe they're downplaying the fact entirely?

It's really such a minefield of a conversation though, on every side.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like I only ever hear people talk about drakengard 1 and drakengard 3. What's 2's deal?

It was done without Yoko Taro's input and is far more of a traditional story than any of his work, at least in terms of the protagonist.

For the record, Yoko Taro does actually consider it canon, but it's not anything he's ever expanded on in the way he's done everything else.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think Dad Nier ends up closer to Kaine in some ways (they're both killers who accept they kill for their survival and so on) but I also think he ends up far closer to Weiss than Bro ever does, just by virtue of them effectively being the "adults" of the party.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

stev posted:

Kainé could so easily have been a gross gay/trans panic twist in the hands of a lesser writer. I already knew her deal from the zeitgeist pre-release and I was half expecting some dramatic "This woman you've been jerking off to for 20 hours - has a penis! Be ashamed of your words and deeds" moment to come at any time. The fact that the game doesn't explicitly beat you over the head with it but instead leaves you to connect the dots based on the abuse she receives - and doesn't comment on it any further - was nice to see. Especially for a decade old game.

That said I was expecting a bit more exposition about Tyrann's deal. Like is he significant for some reason? Is he actually Kainé gestalt or was some rando shade able to possess her for some reason? If so why isn't everyone possessed by rando shades?

On the second bit here I don't know if Tyrann is the only one able to do it, but he specifically does it because he doesn't have a replicant. He was such an awful person in life the scientists deleted his data from the replicant making system, and he possesses Kaine because Tyrann just loves killing poo poo that much. As far as I remember Kaine's replicant data is corrupt so she's created as an intersex body. Her gestalt is likely somewhere floating around.

Actually now that I think about it rando shade posession is happening, it's what is going on in the Aerie during the second visit.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 5, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

In the demo most of the story seems to be played pretty straight but there's definitely some little glints of weirdness like the narrator playing with the fourth wall and characters contradicting dialogue options you pick.

The stories for the monsters were definitely something.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There’s some odd stuff in there, like the character card descriptions being pretty plain and then suddenly there’s the old lady who’s card mentions she has to put up with an abusive husband.

That's because her story is accessible and nobody else's is. If I remember where I saw that particular detail.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It’s in exactly the same place as everyone else’s as soon as you get the ability to look at the cards, there’s no need to progress anything. It’s the very first thing you read about her if you take the time to flick through all the cards you’ve collected so far when the game first shows you how to do it.

Well then, I guess the others will probably get some more going on too. I know the monsters have some incredible stuff on the front and back too when you progress them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To be fair, we've since learnt that indeed the Machines learnt about the Watchers from human records and replicated their whole thing without actually worshipping them.

The FFXIV raids have some of this, the Machine Network replicates the Seeds for example, although they do so as factories designed to recreate the Machine Network in a new dimension/planet (and 9S hacked it to produce himself and 2B to stop the factories).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Edmund Lava posted:

Probably be better off pulling that stunt in Japanese if that were the case right?

Nier Automata's massive success is based more on its global release results, and Yoko Taro is weird enough he'd make the viral marketing campaign english and thus "global".

The current belief I have is the Switch Version has new content which is being added into the Playstation version and the viral marketing is showing off some of that via devkit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nyoro posted:

That cannot be true because that would be breaking the law (illegal)

What is breaking the law in this case. Viral Marketing is Viral Marketing.

They're stealth showing off new stuff they developed for the Switch Version of the Game which is also going to be patched into the Playstation Version. At least that's my theory.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Did Japan ever get the Old Nier version out of curiosity?

Also, why did they decide to change him to an adult in the west to begin with (though it still works either way)?

They believed the father/daughter relationship would resonate more with the western playerbase than the older brother/younger sister one as a narrative impetus/hook.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

pentyne posted:

The biggest thing about Dad Nier, and I haven't played Replicant so maybe it's similar, is that his entire life was devoted to helping his sick daughter, and he honestly didn't really care about anything else besides getting her healthy. Back when I played it on the x360 me and my roommate would constantly quote him because he's voiced to say tons of things like "I don't have time for this, MY DAUGHTER IS SICK!" and complain about wasting his time while he needs to get back to his daughter.

I don't need it spelled out, but I've noticed from reading a bit here and there that Bro Nier has a significantly different personality and motivation.

Dad Nier has devoted his life to Yonah and that made him happy, Bro Nier has devoted his life to Yonah and is kind of miserable for it. Is at least my basic understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

pentyne posted:

What do you need in order to appreciate Drakengard?

To hate children.