Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Veotax posted:

Eh, decided to put in a refund request on GMG and get the PS4 version instead.

Is there any information on whether there are any graphical benefits to PC over PS4 (and whether the PS4, or PS4 Pro in my case, can do consistent 60fps at 4k)?

If the PS4 Pro can do 60fps/4k I might go with that version instead of PC, but I'm assuming that my PC should be plenty strong enough to run the PC version well (and I have it plugged into the receiver that goes into my TV, so that's not an issue).

Unlucky7 posted:

It is about how FFXIV players tend to evangelize about their game.

Speaking of, did you know that FFXIV is completely free to play up to level 60 and includes all the content up to Heavensward? That is a good chunk of game if I ever saw one. Never been a better time to give it a shot! :v:

I've been futilely trying to get my friend to play it for a few years now, though I only bug him about it once every 6 months or so. He used to be heavily into FF11 and I don't think he realizes what a modern MMO like FF14 is like since he seems to be under the impression that it would be a huge time sink. For some reason he only plays games or franchises that existed when we were teenagers, with the closest thing to exceptions being stuff like the recent Zelda musou game or FF15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

I mean, is he wrong or is he just off by a few hours/day? The amount of stuff you have to burn through to catch up with existing players was pretty overwhelming last time I was conned into giving it a shot and anything that asks for daily engagement feels out of bounds at this point in life which again was extremely modern MMO ethos at least as of a couple years ago.

He's wrong in the sense that long individual periods of gaming and forming strong social relationships both aren't necessary to seeing most of the game's content. You could just play 30-60 minutes every couple days as long as you don't care about being "competitive" and just want to see most of the game's quests and what have you. So you don't have to stand around grinding for hours like in FF11 (he stopped playing FF11 before they apparently made the grind dramatically faster)

I don't really play regularly; I go through bursts of playing a bunch and then lay off the game for months. If you don't care about having the most up-to-date gear constantly it doesn't really matter.

I also don't think there's any equivalent to WoW dailies for reputation grinds, unless they changed those significantly since I last played (WoW that is, not FF14). There are the beast tribes, but it doesn't take that long to max those out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nier Automata plot question (I finished the game and all endings a couple years ago but forget some things) - So I understand that people like Pascal's village were cut off from the machine network, allowing them to become individuals, but what exactly was up with the "regular" machines acting bizarrely? Is that just effectively behavior of the machine hive mind or what (though from what I understand the machine hive mind is the Red Girl/N2)? Also why exactly were Adam/Eve produced? Was that just intended as a hint as to YorHa being fundamentally the same as the machines? It's not clear to me why the "machine side" of the fake conflict engineered between the machines and YorHa (which is basically just machine vs machine) would suddenly produce its own advanced humanoid machines.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After spending a while trying to get things to work properly on PC hooked up to my TV I just said gently caress it and did a refund and got it on PS4.

I couldn't get it up to 60fps in 4k (it would sort of jump around between 40 and 60) and for some reason it has a 30fps lock if I turn the resolution down to 1440p while running it on the TV. I'm sure there's probably some way to address this, but I have a feeling it would be a pain in the rear end that I'd have to deal with every time I wanted to play the game (since I'd have to switch to the TV and reconfigure the resolution to a custom 1440p or something).

For some reason my PC generally runs things worse than it should. GPU is a 2080S and CPU should be good enough (an i5 from a couple years ago), but I also have big problems when playing other games that seem unrelated to graphics settings. Cod War Zone, for example, will gradually start running worse and worse as I play it, and even at the beginning (before it goes to complete poo poo and literally drops to 15-20fps) I only get 50-60fps at 1440p that remain the same regardless of what the other graphical settings are).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is it possibly a ram issue? I've upgraded ram several times and it just never feels like enough. Warzone I had to give up on entirely because of ram

I suspected this and actually just today installed another 16gb that I ordered (so I have 32gb now). It hasn't addressed the initial framerate in War Zone being lower than benchmarks I've read online indicate (and performance in Nier is the same), but I haven't had the chance to see if it affects the massive drop-off over time yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I changed my mind and decided to give PC version a shot again after realized the PS4 version definitely isn't 4k (I think it's just 1080p) and also didn't seem to be consistently 60fps

I'm very glad I did, because I apparently fixed the issue and now it runs buttery smooth at 4k and max settings. The lowest the framerate ever goes is like 58/59.

The cause of the fix was likely one of the two (new) changes I made using SpecialK - I activated the Waitable Swap Chain thing and also Sleepless Render. When I didn't have luck earlier I was also using SpecialK, but hadn't set those two settings.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game has caused Song of the Ancients to get stuck in my head. It's a great track, but if it's possible for me to get tired of it I think the game might be able to pull it off.

Some of these side quests are almost comically depressing. I'm a fan of the one where you search for this old man's dog and it's dead, and then you return and the old man is also dead.

edit: I also like when I'm on a quest to (very early extremely mild spoilers) get Yonah pain meds to deal with excruciating pain from her fatal condition and proceed to spend several days learning fishing from some guy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 26, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been pretty impressed with the action in this. Obviously not Automata-tier, but it's fun and the boss fights have been really cool looking. I like the dodge move that makes you go behind enemies.

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of 10 years ago, I cannot wait for people’s blind reactions to this game.

I'm going in with a couple major plot points spoiled, but I know basically nothing about how those plot points are arrived at.

Basically, the info I have going in is (significant spoiler) player Nier is a replicant and Shadowlord is Nier from the very beginning, I believe trying to get Replicant Yonah to house original Yonah's soul. But I don't know what the deal with the Grimoires is or what happens in the plot pertaining to Kaine or Emil (or any of the specifics about how the aforementioned spoiler is arrived at).

I feel like anyone who has played Automata first should be able to at least infer that all the people together with the player character are replicants, since I believe Automata reveals the basic situation with replicants/gestalts and the timeline involved with them.

cubicle gangster posted:

How on earth do you drift a boar?
I keep slamming them into walls. Tried holding l2 before accelerating, at the same time, at the same time as pressing a direction, I'm not really finding any good way to drive outside of slamming them straight into the wall opposite because they can't turn for poo poo.

Is there any way to slow down a boar other than moving the joystick backwards (which causes it to abruptly slam on the brakes).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

axeil posted:

It might not be blind but I have played Automata and I nearly started crying when I got to the opening area and realized that (big automata spoilers] the town music is the same song Devola and Popola sing as they die/help 9S get into the tower at the end of Automata.

Doesn't the library in the town also show up near the end of Automata (where you get various records or something)? It looked very familiar.

I like how you only hear the singing when you're actually near Devola, and how the singing (and lute) stops if you talk to her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

axeil posted:

I suppose Automata was kind of like that too, Route A is very normal except for the whole fake out on the aliens all being dead.

For me one of the biggest surprises in Automata was that the Aliens actually existed. The minute it mentioned an alien invasion I thought "this has gotta be bullshit and there's probably some other reason humanity was wiped out, like maybe humanity built the machines or something" but nope, turns out there actually were aliens and they had literal flying saucers!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just want to make sure I'm not getting crap performance on this. I went with PC and on ultrawide 3440 × 1440 and highest settings all around, I'm getting between 60-80fps. I did install SpecialK to hide the mouse and set the framerate cap to 144 since that's my monitor's native res. Is that to be expected or should I be getting better off of a GTX 2080 and I need a few more tweaks?

You probably just want to cap at 60fps because of the aforementioned issues with going above it.

There's a good chance you could do higher, since my video card is similar to yours and (after SpecialK tweaks) get a steady 60fps in 4k, but there might not be a point unless you're occasionally dropping below 60. The tweaks in question (which you didn't mention, so I assume you haven't tried) are Sleepless Render and Waitable Swap Chain (maybe just one of those - I activated them both and saw a dramatic improvement). They brought me from an unsteady 40-60 to a steady 60 (capped at 60 so probably significantly higher if I uncapped).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dabir posted:

Wasn't this already implied in Automata? I'm sure there's a part where the machines are using something that looks a hell of a lot like the Empire's emblem.

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but Eve's tattoo is also the Cult of the Watchers thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I did it. I did all the flower bullshit. I can now fill all my plots with white flowers and easily acquire money.

The guides online kind of overcomplicate things. The one I was reading mentioned "if you don't have enough flowers of the necessary color after 1 day, go back to the first day and replant some," but you can easily just finish all the current flowers and get 2-3 seeds from each of the correct color ones you get and then plant those and double/triple the seeds again.

The worst part was the actual act of planting and watering all the seeds.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Because it's a Yoko Taro joint, I'm trying really hard to avoid spoilers, but I also want to know if I'm missing anything in the sidequests. I'm still in part 1 of my first run, and it says I'm at 50% quests completed. I'm trying to check every town after every few main quest beats to make sure no one else is showing up with a sidequest, but are there any ones that are easily missed that I'd need outside knowledge to find?

It seems like Devola in Nier's village tells you about any existing side quests in other towns. Does this apply to all side quests? I've been relying on her to let me know if there's stuff to do in other places.

fadam posted:

I feel like I have a pretty beast PC (3080, 5800x) and I still drop below 60FPS pretty consistently at 1440p.

If you haven't, try the SpecialK settings I used (Waitable Swap Chain and Sleepless Render). Also the game apparently doesn't work right at >60fps by default (everything speeds up from what I understand). I have a 2080S and was at like 40-50fps at 4k, and now I'm at an extremely steady 60fps at 4k (capped at 60fps, so if it were uncapped it probably goes a good deal higher). I'm pretty sure you'll get much better performance with the same fix, since 1440p is significantly less demanding than 4k and your PC is better than mine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So - did other people lie to (minor side quest spoiler)the old lady? I did. Seemed like it would be dumb to just pointlessly make her sad.

Playing Nier in 4k is kind of making me want to get Automata on the PC. Everything looks so nice, and I imagine I'd probably be able to get Automata to run about as well.

Augus posted:

the process is a lot more annoying on console since you can't change the time as much as you want, you can only mess around with timezones to peek at which flowers will change color. You still need to wait at least a day to actually harvest the seeds.
does watering seeds actually do anything for the purposes of cross-breeding? the impression I got from all the different guides was that mutation is determined the moment you plant the seed.

Watering seems to increase the number of seeds received, but that's all. I only water when I'm trying to get seeds from a plot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just reached Part 2. I like spears, though I get the impression it might be good to switch to great-swords to break enemy guards/armor. I'm not sure what niche the original short swords have.

The only very minor issue I have is that the bonds between the player character/Kaine and Emil seemed to kind of come out of nowhere. Like you go to the manor, meet him, and then leave and after this point he's basically like family to you. I'm fine with it because Emil is great, but it felt a little fast.

Also, is there any reason for (late part 1)the spooky changing portraits in Emil's manor? I read online someone speculating that they're just meant to prevent people from exploring and discovering the underground passage. For some reason "old portrait that subtly changes" is the sort of gimmick that always reliably creeps me out even if I'm expecting it.

I think the most emotionally moving segment so far was actually (end part 1)Weiss deciding to stick with you and the rest of the party.

Another part I liked was (late part 1)the segment with the text dreams in the forest. The woman's one was particularly interesting. I can basically guess what was going on (since I had that one element of the plot spoiled for me), but I'm not sure if what was described was literal or not.

edit: One thought I've had while playing this is that it's really hard to imagine the protagonist being the dad version. It seems like so much of the protagonist's relationships would be a lot different if he wasn't so young.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Omg wolves loving suck...

First getting in the way of my fragile delivery quest and swarming me by the dozens, then when I need 10 wolf hides and I just killed a bunch for this other quest I get teleported out

It took me a bit to realize that you need to kill the wolves to avoid getting swamped during that delivery quest, but it's not too hard to just spam Dark Blast at them. First couple times I tried using the shield magic and made it right up to the door of Facade before getting hit.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 3, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ended up doing it by keeping a perpetual darkwall bubble and bunny hopping across the map lol

I almost made it, but there just ended up being a swarm of wolves. Like 20 of the things, and sooner or later the bubble disappears and you have to recast it (which is kind of slow).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

Wolves have fuckall stagger resist, so I just killed every wolf I came across by spamming the initial shot from Dark Blast.

Exactly, it was easy once I decided to kill the wolves.

goblin week posted:

You might be the first person to use Dark Wall

I used it until I got Whirlwind, because I didn't like spamming Dark Blast in most situations and liked having a passive buff.

I was about to mention Dark Gluttony (that's the absorb magic one, right?) being weird, but maybe it's actually good for regenerating MP (which has become more of an issue later on)?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 3, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it ever explained exactly what the "Gestalt-ization" process entails? That one deathdream and various other information (like historical documents about people responding poorly to it) seems to imply that it's something kinda hosed up, but I don't know if it's ever made explicit. The aforementioned deathdream I think mentions casks full of blood and people being in chairs with spines running through them (and I guess rich people having macabre parties before turning themselves into Gestalts).

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have you set the drop rate boosting words on all your weapons and spells?

I was drowning in machine oil by the time I finished farming weapon upgrade mats in the junk heap. I’d get 2-3 per run through the complex.

How does this work? Do those words stack across all weapons/spells/etc?

If you have a word that buffs "physical strength" or whatever, does that apply to everything or just the ability/weapon it's applied to?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do weapons get anything interesting at their third (and final if it's the same as Automata) upgrade?

Currently it seems like literally the only difference is in base damage and magic damage, with an extremely minor difference in combo speed (that is only really noticeable if I'm comparing a "Light" weapon with a "Very Heavy" one), but it seems like weapons with higher base damage usually also have higher magic damage and are just objectively superior to their alternatives. In Automata there were generally more options, with upgrades buffing different things.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got my White Flowers. I should definitely not harvest until I have a ton of seeds right?

Probably not, especially if you're not on PC. I keep a constant stream of flowers by maintaining ~16 seeds (I'll harvest 7 and let the other 8 turn into seeds after filling the whole plot, occasionally getting more flowers once I end up with a bigger seed surplus, like if I forget to harvest the flowers and they all turn into seeds).

The upside to this is that I was instantly able to buy every weapon in the shops when starting Part 2, but I'm not sure if I'll actually have much use for money beyond that (since most upgrade mats don't seem buyable and it seems like a bunch of quests are starting to demand Junk Yard stuff).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 5, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other thing that seems hard to imagine with the dad Nier is how it seems extremely obvious that Emil has some sort of romantic feelings towards Nier. I guess I could see that being turned into something along the lines of Emil viewing Nier as a sort of surrogate parental figure, though (that could actually work kind of well, since part of Emil's whole situation involves lacking any - trustworthy, at least - parental figures).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

I think they censored all of the gay out of the scene in the 2010 western release but in Ver1.22 they left it in and there is something very adorable about a floating little skeleton monster wistfully sighing to himself daydreaming about how much he wants to be somebody's beautiful bride one day (while Nier doesn't loving have a clue)

Tbf Nier is a very good looking guy.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think a lot of the relationship between Emil and NieR is super contextual depending on whether its Bro NieR or Dad NieR; Bro befriends Kaine and Emil, but with Dad, it feels more like he adopts them, so for that one scene that I think we're all talking about, Bro and Emil have a conversation about how Emil will find a nice lady one day but he just kind of mutters that he's not looking for a lady after Bro and Weiss leave, but on the other side, the conversation is more about Dad's old wedding and Emil wonders if he'll ever get married again and it kinda comes off as him wanting an adoptive Mom too.

This makes a lot of sense. I can easily see how a framing of dad Nier being a surrogate parent to Kaine and Emil could make sense. Both essentially lack such a figure in their lives.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After considerably more difficulty than with Replicant, I finally managed to get the PC Automata to a smooth 60fps at 4k (thanks to using the options mentioned by this guy here - https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1736595227844105620/?ctp=2).

It kind of sucks that most people are playing the PC version of a game like Replicant or Automata with dramatically poorer performance than is necessary. Using these options was the difference between a really choppy ~40fps and a perfectly smooth 60fps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Outside of the machine weapons, they’re all useful. In the beginning just use whatever has the highest damage and a move set you want. Later on when you upgrade them they get abilities (more crit, more damage at full health, etc) that make just about all of them viable to some degree. Even the machine weapons are useful for out of combat stuff.

On my second play-through of Automata on the PC I'm basically just using whatever looks cool, since on my first playthrough on PS4 I just stuck to the weapons the internet said were best.

I'm enjoying the spear move-set. I basically never used spears or fists on my first playthrough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

Listening to the Nier Replicant 1.22 OST at work today and I think I can confidently say that the new tracks are mostly superior to both the original game and Nier Automata's

I think Replicant's soundtrack is a bit better at "setting a mood" than Automata's, but some of my favorite tracks in Automata don't really have similar analogues in Replicant (like the City Ruins or Desert music).

One thing I've found is that, for whatever reason, the fake language used in Replicant's music tends to trick my brain into thinking it's English more often than the Automata-specific music.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

During Part 1 I was thinking "these side quests are a little annoying but not that bad, I don't get what the big deal is" but now in Part 2 this dude near the pigs is like "give me 10 titanium alloys (and a bunch of other poo poo)" and lol no. This other side quest is also sending me back into the Lost Shrine, which is my least favorite zone (but this quest is unfortunately apparently necessary to get all weapons).

Question - how do words on Evade/Guard work? Do they just apply all the time? Someone mentioned that the words on weapons/magic that buff things like items/XP only apply if that weapon/magic kills enemies, but that logic doesn't seem like it can apply to evading/guarding.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doctor Nutt posted:

Those usually provide an entirely different effect on evading/guarding, and you can see what it is by applying them in the word edit. Sometimes they add effects like stun/etc

A lot of them provide stuff like a bonus to "physical strength" or (I believe) item/xp rate. It's not clear how that would be connected to blocking/dodging.

Sharkitten posted:

I really don't think any of the quests are that bad with the possible exception of Package Delivery 3 but you can cheese that one with the desert warps

It takes a while to go through the Junkyard, and it seems like you have to do that at least a few times (and that's if you're not planning on upgrading many weapons). And Lost Shrine also takes a while to navigate (unless this quest's item is just located near the beginning).

Traveling between the cities never bothered me much, though. It's very fast, even before the boat, to get from Nier's village to Seafront. Getting to Junkyard is pretty annoying, though; unless I'm missing something, you always have to climb all those ladders in the Northern Plains.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Do Eagle Eggs not spawn in the Aerie in Part 2 or something, but I have literally looted the node where they're supposed to spawn like 30 times now without success (and that's just counting the times it's spawned). I've gotten 5 meteorites, an item which is not even supposed to be farmed here, in the process of this, but not a single egg.

edit2: Literally the time after I made that comment, haha. loving finally, jesus

One upside to PC time manipulation is that you're not forced to start the game to harvest things. I waited too long and was going to lose my entire plot full of white moonflowers, but was able to time travel a couple days into the past and get the seeds.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Despite all the rules the people of Facade are somehow the chillest of all

I like how it sort of upsets expectations that the rules are going to be some bad repressive thing. When I first visited I was like "oh no what horrors await here" but it turns out the place is just sort of quirky and people seemingly just yell at you if you don't follow the rules.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 11, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finished first Replicant ending. Worst part was when Fyra was killed. That part actually made me go "gently caress you game."

Out of curiosity, what were peoples' thoughts/predictions on the plot who went into the game unspoiled? I'm playing it already knowing the major setting plot twists (though not the details of what happens in the endings or with each character), so I never didn't know what the shades were, etc.

edit: I'm assuming this Kaine route will explain exactly what happened in Aerie? It's obvious that gestalts were rejoining with their replicants there, but I'm not sure why it was occurring there specifically. Also, what was up with the letter? Was that just an attempt by the Shadowlord to get Nier to go get the final piece?

One minor thing that confuses me a bit is Shadowlord's actions. He takes replicant-Yonah to obviously give to "his Yonah," but Popola mentions wanting to wait another generation (presumably before joining all the remaining shades to their replicants). If this is the case, why would Shadowlord-Nier take this Yonah (since there have presumably been countless other replicant-Yonahs)? Won't his Yonah just naturally die before the rest of the "rejoining" occurs?

Also (broad spoiler-heavy question) - there's a Yoko Taro comment that the way childbirth is dealt with is that Replicants will go to the Popola/Devola of their respective villages who will put them to sleep and then basically generate the "child" replicant with a "test tube" (whatever process is used to create replicants), basically keeping the nature of replicants hidden. But there are cities that don't seem to have their own Popola/Devola. Are people from Facade and Seafront somehow meeting with Nier's village's Popola/Devola when they "have children"?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's always interesting to get a look into someone else's thinking. "what are these black boxes that keep popping up... what could these be for"

This post confuses me because that's pretty obviously an actual graphical glitch. I don't recall any "screen goes glitchy when moving the camera" part of the first play-through in the City Ruins.

Maybe you didn't notice he posted a video instead of an image? At first glance (before noticing it was a video) I thought it was was maybe some sort of joke about having the drone be Weiss or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 11, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find that I almost never use non-heavy attacks unless I'm fighting enemies that don't guard. I basically just mash triangle and dodge with the Phoenix Spear constantly, causing me to spin around like a top from one enemy to the next.

Only downside to that (and spear combos in general) is that they can easily send you flying off ledges. Aerie Part 2 was a pain because of this, and I've also flipped out off the ledge of an upper floor in Lost Shrine a couple times.

beep by grandpa posted:

Edit: Jokes aside, I 100% believe the strength of Autoama's character/outfits design was substantial element of its success. Not in a sexy pervert way specifically, but I do think it was very compelling to people. I know I've definitely picked up games or looked into stuff just cause I thought a character looked cool.

The cover of the original NA Nier is very funny. Just this picture of a badass swole guy with NIER in some sort of DOOM-esque font and a tiny Kaine/Emil behind him.

goblin week posted:

That was a different guy. Doctor Nutt is the guy that is legitimately bamboozled by letterboxing in cutscenes lol

Oh whoops, don't know how I misread that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Mobile game it up for download, apparently opening this afternoon (noon pdt? I’m a little unclear on it)

Edit: it’s almost 5 EST and the game changed its kickoff time to “Afternoon or Evening”

Apparently something isn’t going quite right. Guess I’ll just wait till tomorrow.

It's up now.

I got a 9S and a Virtuous Dignity on my starting 10-roll. This is good since I definitely wasn't going to be willing to do re-rolling nonsense with this (I get the impression that you'd have to redo the download, which would be a huge pain).

edit: Dang, and 2B from the second 10-roll you can do from the starting chapter.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 29, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

How Gacha is this Gacha game anyway? Does it have a story and an ending or is it an endless grind with a bit of flavour text?

I bounced off SinoAlice hard as I couldn't figure out anything about it.

From what I understand, it actually has a good story, though I doubt it has an ending.

vvv It's actually fairly taxing on my phone graphically; I get noticeable framerate drops if I try the "max" setting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 29, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Game won’t stop crashing on my latest model iPad Pro, but seems to run fine on my old rear end 6s phone.

Not sure how this happened on a game that’s been out for almost 7 months already.

Same here - I can't access the "Exchange" place where you presumably buy stuff with your event currency (and it also just randomly crashes sometimes, but it's 100% of the time with the Exchange).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently there's an issue with Android 11.

Which is kind of funny, because it's like making a website and forgetting to test it with the latest version of Chrome or something. It's an extremely obvious issue that would quickly appear during any sort of testing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meiteron posted:

If you haven't played SinoAlice and are approaching this game from the perspective of "I like Nier, would I like this mobile Nier", well... odds aren't great, honestly. The combat mostly runs on auto and progression is summarized as "power up weapons/skills/characters through various auto-battle missions to make Number go up, when Number is high enough you can do these missions that need a certain Number level to complete".

The combat in this is really bizarre and confusing. Does the player do anything at all other than use one of each character's 3 skills (2 weapon skills + character skill) when they come off cooldown? The skills themselves are also kind of weird and hard to evaluate.

Much better visuals aside, it feels sort of like FGO if FGO had weird confusing skills and no turn-based set-up to strategize around. I feel like making the combat real-time was really dumb for a game where the player's only interaction is selecting one of 2-3 skills.

I was able to do the hardest missions in the Nier Automata collab event and the hardest daily quests just because the game gives you literally thousands of max character XP items so I was able to make 2B and 9S level 60-65 instantly (why do the small/medium/large XP items even exist when they give irrelevantly small amounts of XP and you get thousands of the higher XP ones?).

edit: A question about the game while I'm making this post - what are some good 3* characters? I'm thinking of leveling up this one lady who has a heal staff weapon, just because a heal seems useful, but only have enough resources to get 1 or 2 more characters to a high-ish level.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 30, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I seem to have reached a place in the main plot (near the end of Chapter 3 I think) where my game crashes and I can no longer even start it up (because once it finishes loading I'm still in the place that made me crash for some reason).

Probably one of the most buggy apps I've encountered like this, at least in terms of actual serious bugs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Qylvaran posted:

I got to chapter...I want to say 8, with only occasional crashes while navigating to menus. An OS update dropped for my phone this morning (Pixel 5), and now the game crashes at the loading screen right after the title screen every time.

It's a shame, because the music and graphics are pretty nice, and I wanted to see where the main plot was going after that first big twist.

They apparently released a fix, but I had to manually go to the Play Store to download it. There was an update and after installing it I no longer crash.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Beefstew posted:

PS3 emulators can run Drakengard 3 at 60 FPS and it literally looks like a different game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGLxIO1IauA

Is there ever any explanation for the modern-looking skyscraper ruins visible in this clip? IIRC the Drakengard world isn't directly connected to ours aside from being different dimensions or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That makes a lot of sense, though I'm curious if it's actually been confirmed.