Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Christ almighty I feel like someone slipped amphetamines into AI's Raisin Bran this year and now we're all just trying to turn it up to 11.

How do you safely de rust a split rim for cleaning? Wire brush and prayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Garbage Dick posted:

The owner of the Gremlin I've posted about is very seriously weighing quitting his job and flying himself out with me to participate.

I'm becoming increasingly concerned with how you are, for lack of a better term, grooming that boy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Sorry dude, but shipping costs to Nebraska are $$$. Compared to $$$$to hauling to Ohio.

Just pack 14 away in the truck as it is getting shipped. Now he's a mobile mechanic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Seat Safety Switch has found the perfect outlet for his unique set of skills.

I asked for a roadtrip, and for my sins they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice roadtrip, and when it was over, I never wanted another.

I was going to the worst place in the world and I didn't even know it yet. Weeks away and hundreds of miles up an interstate highway that snaked through America like an IV line full of fentanyl and cable news plugged straight into Trump. It was no accident that I got to be the caretaker of the last moments of 14 Inch any more than being back in the Nebraska poo poo was an accident. There is no way to tell his story without telling my own. And if his story really is a confession, then so is mine.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 10, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They couldn't tell me the American Dream was dead. For starters, nobody could agree what it looked like when it was alive. Maybe at most there were some furtive allusions to material possessions. A big, powerful car. That's one of the only things people could agree on. Everyone wanted more horsepower than the next guy, even if it would destroy them.

Thing is, the more I thought about what we were doing, the more I realized we were mainlining pure strain America.

This morning, a no-poo poo bald eagle flew over the camp, crying tears of joy. Or maybe it was semen. Either way, 14 only told me it was salty.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Use a proper mask, not a painter's dust mask. For asbestos you need like a P99 filter or better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

unique pathogens lab
I would not take this job.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I do some freelancing for AutoBlog. I was telling my editor about this project/thread this morning and she was all, "These dudes should write something for us!" Then she sent me the link for Open Road. Here's the link, Open Road is one of those sites where car nerds can write stories about cool poo poo and submit it. Open Road would probably be pretty interested in this story because it's both cool and bonkers, so one of you guys should write something up and send it in. Probably Dick-Riff. Actually, definitely Dick-Riff.

Will Autoblog pay me for the tumblr because Hulk Hogan didn't sue them into the ground?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I don't know what they pay for Open Road stuff, if anything. You'd need to write actual articles about the process of the project, though. Also, there's a tumblr about this?

No, I have a tumblr that's stream of consciousness rambling about entrepreneurship in the automotive industry.

quote:

They called it the Witchgrinder. It made horsepower the same way that throwing a running circular saw with the trigger ziptied down into a child’s pizza party made fun for the whole family. I knew I was onto something special when the President Himself called me halfway through wiring up the Megasquirt harness and offered me a brand new Lincoln Continental if I’d stop.

Well, the Lincoln Continental is FWD now, isn’t it, Mr. President?

I could hear the gasps and the panic-attack hyperventilation of the other car-show competitors when the massive mill swiftly hurled inch-thick columns of flame out of the car’s side exit exhaust every time the ITBs slammed shut on throttle lift. Richer than me, I liked to tell my friends. But nobody would truly understand the Witchgrinder like the many civilians who interrogated me at gas stations, trying to slot it into their internal mental model of what cars were.

One man - and I remain forever envious of him for weathering the transition so well - asked me if it was some kind of new Mustang from Japan. I looked at him from above my mirrorshades, set the lock on the high-pressure E85 pump nozzle, and wordlessly flipped open the front-hinged hood. He gazed deep into the heart of the monster, and I could see his pupils dilate in a textbook fear response. His sacrifice won’t be forgotten: I last saw him sitting against the pump in a puddle of his own urine, repeating the words “who is Datsun?” to an uncaring sky.

Smeared in neon as it idled through downtown, the Witchgrinder looked for all the world like a Jaguar E-Type on fire. Sometimes I would wonder why the gas station people never wanted to know about me. Maybe they didn’t want to entertain the possibility that I was a closer relative to them than the carbon-fibre-and-knives Z was to their Camry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
More vans is a good omen for AI.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Gas can,

Hose,

Mount above carb,

drive.

Gas can? A two liter pop bottle taped to the antenna with a length of fuel line running out of it will do just fine as a gasoline IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0e9z4gwpXc

Bonus: battery terminals

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I like how through the inexorable march of time this has gone from a bad idea in the mud to a bad idea in the snow.

Shine on you long wheelbase bastards.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Wouldn't much of Canada be cold enough that 50/50 mix would be a bad idea in the winter?

I mean, I know topping it off won't throw off whatever mix you already have by much, but I'm thinking more about people who buy the premix after draining the cooling system.

I run 50-50 and always have. The freezing point is still incredibly low, and we do have block heaters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The block heater makes a difference. Not much of one (I think less than 5°C) but it's enough to push it back over the edge.

Anything colder than that and there's other components of my shitboxes that I need to worry about before the block being frozen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Panaflex posted:

Is there a way to pin or link this thread and 14's AMX HEADROOM INCIDENT thread together or would that be like crossing the streams (and that would be bad).?

Ideally we should have two divergent threads of 14 AT HOME and 14 AWAY MISSION.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Why? It's not like decades-old obsolete jet engines are a controlled export item.

I feel like if you have the expertise to get an exported rocket engine working you've probably already got the ability to build your own. It's not like a restricted firearm.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What will happen to the corpse of the van?

e: fb, rip junk van

Also hope you swapped the casters on your engine crane for offroad tires.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 26, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We've started using ratchet straps to install Subaru engines now. I'm sure it would work for a big titty V8.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Jeep has found a new purpose in life and will begin the self healing process within minutes of arrival.

Either that or it'll fall apart like the Bluesmobile, leaving 14 in the middle of a field clutching a loose steering wheel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Somewhat serious suggestion: wedge some thick rubber between the trans and that crossmember and ratchet-strap that poo poo down. Add "check ratchets" to the list of regular checks that will happen throughout the trip to FL.

Hockey pucks oughta be easy to find in Nebraska.

If you drill through a hockey puck make sure you have a crush tube.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Just when I thought this ride was going to settle down.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

On a postive note I will say the lady who helped me today was the first polite and genuinely professional employee I've dealt with there.

The lifer lady who works at my local Greyhound shipping terminal is the only time outside of a rural parts store that I have seen someone chain smoking at their desk.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I'm cool with that but I like the idea of Dave embarking on these epic quests back and forth across the country righting automotive wrongs.

It's like Quantum Leap but he has to drive a Miata that shakes on the highway sometimes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This thread is like reading The Martian, but from NASA's side.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

It can't possibly smell worse than what the implement shop called panther piss because jfc this poo poo reeks. Bought it on my principle of the less they spend on packaging and more they spend telling you how dangerous it is and I've never smelled anything like it. Literally like a cat box. Also it seems to go on sticky and doesn't just run off. Curious as to tomorrow's results.

That looks truly impressive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Panther piss soapy water and brake kleen.

Panther piss: hey asbestos, what else you got?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We're all scared.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Soodonim posted:

Good idea not posting the address in the thread. Wouldn't want any weird dudes showing up in djdanno's field.

:haw:

You know, eventually the local news is going to send a reporter out there to see just what's gotten the town in such a tizzy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Quick send the pictures in for their website so you can get a free streamlight.

Maybe they'll make you the spokesman.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Charokee wasn't strong enough to get you home. But the Fastback? I have such faith in the fastback.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

My fukken ears are ringing lol

I think the most surprising part of this is the flavour.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

djdanno13 posted:

Things are happening! (Not pictured, blazing bonfire we circle with our greased bodies)

I thought you were going to be an observer only. You're not supposed to join Colonel Kurtz here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Went to Napa and Mr Needful wasn't there today. I showed the pictures of the truck to the guys working and the old timer said make sure I show the guy off today because "he knows everything you could ever wanna know about those old things." :stare:

When you come back tomorrow he will just be gone. The old timer will say nobody else has worked here since 1969 and turn to look wistfully at a picture of the moon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Now that is a fit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Currently wearing them lol sorry been busy

Very nice. Keep up the good work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Always wire inside, and use a heat gun instead of a lighter when you do the heat shrink.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

I'm gonna use one cartridge, ignition off, clean out the cylinders.

Interesting alternative to Seafoam.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

19 o'clock posted:

Dude. Is this an end to work on the War Rig? Will it have to await spring's welcome embrace after suffering the blight of winter?

That's not even snow. Winter is still a month off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

14 BAR RIFF posted:

According to the maker I've already had 8 cups of high octane crazy bloodcoffee filling me up and I can barely feel the palpitations. In other news DID SOMEBODY SAY MORE NEWPORT

Between that Newport and the F-body, I'm even more convinced Danno's yard is some kind of constantly shifting mirage that shows you the cars you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is Bomgaard stupid expensive?

• Locked thread