Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

(forgive the thumbnail, the only GIS image I could find of the Season 3 poster is 2520x3000)

Silicon Valley is an HBO comedy created by Mike Judge that's loosely based on his time as an engineer in that part of America during the 1980s. It's eerily relateable if you have experience working in Silicon Valley, much like King of the Hill was for people who live in Texas, or like Office Space if you've worked in an office environment (both are previous Mike Judge works, naturally). If you haven't, then don't worry- it's got one of the best casts on TV and is filled with memorable moments and oddball characters.

Richard Hendrix (Thoms Middleditch, on the right) is the founder of Pied Piper, a company based on his program that compresses video. After winning a tech competition in Season 1, he is forced to find venture capital money after finding out that Peter Gregory- a Peter Thiel-esque Silicon Valley "renegade"- was killed on his African vacation (this corresponded with the unexpected real-life death of Peter's actor, Christopher Evan Welch). Last season, he faced arbitration from Hooli- which is a direct real-life parallel to Google- over the rights to the Pied Piper program. The season ends with Raviga, a venture capital firm, stripping him of his title of CEO of Pied Piper. Richard is pretty reckless and causes trouble for himself over his rash decisions, like hastily deciding to sue the board of his own company in the season premiere.

Erlich Bachman (T.J. Miller, on the left) runs the start-up incubator that gave Pied Piper its spot. He is an arrogant self-styled alpha male who's not above putting his own balls on a conference table in an attempt to "neg" venture capital companies into giving funding. In spite of the fact that he's an egotistical rear end in a top hat, he has an uncharacteristic love for the company that started under his watch.

Dinesh Chugtai (Kumail Nanjiani, on the left} and Bertram Gilfoyle (Martin Starr, on the right) are Pied Piper's chief coders. Probably more importantly, they provide some of the best two-way banter on this show, and I think that they're one of the better comedy character duos on TV right now. A couple of topics include an in-depth discussion of Schrodinger's cat and coining the term "R.I.G.B.Y." (Richard Is Great, But, Y'know) to encompass Richard's pros and cons as the head of Pied Piper. Just refer to them as "Dinesh and Gilfoyle" instead of their full names.

Donald "Jared" Dunn (Zach Woods) was plucked from Hooli by Richard to work on Pied Piper at the beginning of the show. He's a wimpy yes-man who is loyal to his new company and serves as the butt of many jokes cracked by Erlich, Dinesh, and Gilfoyle. He also gets into the weirdest situations of the Pied Piper crew, like being in a self-driving car headed towards a shipping boat and, in an upcoming episode this season, falling for an Airbnb scam.

Monica (Amanda Crew, on the left in the background) served as Peter Gregory's assistant. She provides support and advice to Pied Piper even when they're down on their luck. She's also one of the only cigarette smokers in the usually smoke-free environment of Silicon Valley. After the death of Peter Gregory, the head of the venture capital firm Raviga was taken over by Laurie Bream (Suzanne Cryer, on the right in the foreground). Whereas Peter's management style was eccentric and overly dramatic, Laurie's is extremely emotionally detached. Both of them voted to remove Richard as CEO at the end of Season 2.

Gavin Belson is the CEO of Hooli, Richard and Jared's former employer. Although Hooli is modeled on Google, Gavin is based on Steve Jobs. He's widely considered to be a brilliant corporate visionary, but he's also a ruthless businessman who wants to stamp out his competition. He didn't take losing to Pied Piper in arbitration very well, and at the beginning of this season, he fired the team for Nucleus (Hooli's answer to Pied Piper) as well as a decent portion of his company's staff.

Nelson "Big Head" Bighetti (Josh Brener) was one of Pied Piper's original workers, but he decided to work at Hooli instead of seeing things through at the start-up. At first, he had nothing to do at Hooli and would slack off on the roof with employees in the same situation. Last season, he was used as a pawn for Gavin in an attempt to one-up Pied Piper, even though he isn't really good at much. He was constantly falling into more important positions at Hooli, and who knows what's in store for him this season. He was offered at $20 million severance package at the end of the season premiere, but you can bet he's going to make things interesting.

I know that was a boring writeup, but this show is great and funny and you should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

kloa posted:

this show also contains great music
Yes it does. Mike Judge has good taste in hip-hop and has had it since at least Office Space.

MoPZiG posted:

So is Big Head based on any real life person / story from the valley? This guy just fails upwards and onwards into fat stacks.
I don't think so. The "useless idiot who stumbles his way into fortune" character is a common comedy trope. Unfortunately, it's also frequently found in corporate America, where CEOs make horrible decisions, run a company into the ground, get a golden parachute, and do it all again at another company. Maybe that's Big Head's fate when all is said and done.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

roffles posted:

RIGBY, I'm looking forward to episodes where he's not being a super whiny diva which is weird because it seemed like he started off not wanting to be A BOSS in the first place.
Excellent use of RIGBY. Richard is definitely the weak link of the group, but he's also the glue holding together the rest of Pied Piper together. That's valuable in and of itself.

Holyshoot posted:

Wheres Jian Yang!
Still around as a regular cast member. Unless you want a character description, in which case I could do that. He hasn't contributed as much as the other characters, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He wasn't in the episode, but the actor's name was in the end credits, so don't worry, he'll be here.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He didn't get to be "Action Jack" by not thinking ahead. I can't wait to see Bachman when he realizes he's been had.

I have no idea how you look at Monica and think "Mary Sue." She feels like the most conflicted character: she's the cheerleader for the Pied Piper crew, but she's also carrying some weight at Raviga. I do kinda want to see some expanded role for her this season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Marissa Mayer is proof that female CEOs can be just as nasty and sociopathic as their male counterparts.

Holyshoot posted:

RIP I liked her. She was like a girl version of Gilfoyle.
At first she looked like she was gonna be someone who could go toe-to-toe with Bachman, Dinesh, and Gilfoyle in banter. But I guess she was just a way for Mike Judge to go, "Hey, I got a prominent woman character like y'all wanted," then dump her unceremoniously when the time came. In other words, he was trolling people. Both things are admirable.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 29, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever imagine Mike Judge making it big enough to have his own TV show or movie with a horse loving scene.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Everyone watch Review, it's incredible.
I wholeheartedly second this motion. I couldn't help but think of Forrest MacNeill during that pregnancy scare story.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The one thing that really stuck with me is that Jack is kinda right. By all accounts the bubble is about to burst and there's no longer space or time for "grow now, monetize later" unicorns that can just rely on VC money to cover their lack of profits.

I mean, he's sill basically destroying Pied Piper and turning it into a code-for-hire operation, but he's right.
At the same time, read the post above yours. Mike Judge isn't exactly being subtle about who to root against here.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wish NYC had California's levels of tenant protection.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There certainly wasn't anything in this episode as memorable as two horses loving, but I laughed more than I should have at the constant riffing on Dinesh's chain. The plot was very Office Space-esque, which I kinda liked. Also, the fast-motion montage where Erlich was smoking weed, sleeping, and snapping at Jin Yang was a nice touch.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 9, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I said come in! posted:

So the ending of tonight's episode was a good thing right?
Maybe. I think it was intentionally open-ended.

kloa posted:

Erich coughing at the end :lol:
Smaller hits, Erlich!

That wasn't as funny as the last two episodes, but plot-heavy episodes of comedy shows rarely are. Plus we got some good Dinesh/Gilfoyle banter.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Veskit posted:

Someone compile me a list of all the good drat conspiracy theorists who ruined this thread for a week with the second dumbest theory I've heard in tviv
I read about that theory in a review of this episode, so the stupidity isn't just limited to here. I guess internet nerds like to cheat off the same test. And just curious, what was the dumbest theory you've heard here?

I didn't read any of this thread between episodes and I'm probably richer for it, but I can lock the thread in case things get ludicrously stupid. The perks of being a thread creator....

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

T.J. Miller got a case of Pliny the Elder for this episode, because of course he did.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 23, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I hate Richard Hendricks more and more each and every episode.

Watching him be a massive baby every episode really drags down a great show.
I dunno, I like it when his whining (or, in this case, nonsensical ranting) gets him into hot water. Too bad it got resolved in 30 seconds.

Jared once again gave the best/saddest lines. "I found my biological father in a militia in the Ozarks."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

wide stance posted:

Jared still has the best jokes and Laurie is still a comedy black hole. Holy poo poo she's bad.
Jared's casual delivery of the most soul-wrenching parts of his life (in this case, finding out his biological dad is in a militia in the Ozarks) gets me every time.

Laurie does kinda suck, but I did like the gender-swap aspect of a woman telling a man to stop being so emotional.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bachman feels like kind of a disappointing character this season, at least to me. He still has a lot of good one-liners ("Way to use your dick, Jared!" got a big laugh from me), but he's devolved from a charming rear end in a top hat to just an rear end in a top hat. Him bleeding Bighead's $20 million dry really drove that point home.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm morbidly curious what technique Jared uses to convince women to have sex with him.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

This show is basically The Big Bang Theory for people that wanna pretend they don't like The Big Bang Theory.
With this post in mind, should I use my thread creator privileges and close this thread until Sunday? I'm personally leaning towards "abso-goddamn-lutely" because I can't possibly imagine things getting any better from here to the next episode.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 3, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OK then it's settled, I'm gonna put this thread on lock til Sunday to prevent any further stupidity. If I forget and it's still closed by Sunday evening (a distinct possibility), alert a mod.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

X-O posted:

Don't close discussion threads. Doesn't matter if you're the OP or not. If you have a problem with a thread alert a mod. If there's off topic non-show related stuff going on then knock it off.
Sorry, it won't happen again. But drat, was that a stupid take....

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of Erlich this season. Before, he was an rear end in a top hat, but he was charming and he genuinely cared about the success of Pied Piper, even though sometimes it was tough love and other times it involved humiliating anyone that stood in its way. Now, he's just an rear end in a top hat who's leeching off of Bighead. Well, I guess I should say "leeched off of Bighead" now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chinatown posted:

guilfoyle is the best character in this series
Agreed. He's at his best when he's making GBS threads all over Dinesh, but he's very good on his own.

Jinyang stole the episode with his two horrible attempts at prank calls.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mortanis posted:

Good episode, but holy crap was Gilfoyle in the coffee shop the best poo poo in forever.
Scene of the season right there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hooli is mostly Google with a splash of Apple, and Gavin is Steve Jobs.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

Microsoft now has a huge database of people. Maybe that's what they want.
That's almost certainly what they want. Facebook, Google, and Apple already have a lot of people's information. From a competitive standpoint, Microsoft would be fools to not want a piece of that. Of course, there's the fact that this is creepy as all hell and has the ability to be abused for nefarious purposes, but ethical considerations don't come into play here.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Laurie's made it clear in the past that she hates Erlich (or finds him unpleasant, whatever), so why wouldn't she bite at the first opportunity to gently caress him over?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't know that Russ Hanneman = Mark Cuban until I read an article matching Silicon Valley characters with their real-life counterparts. Their quotes about where they were when they made their first billion are almost identical, which says a lot about Cuban.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Geddy Krueger posted:

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mydFes629og

April 23 can't come fast enough.
Good lord, Erlich's mustache. I am ready.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Erlich literally mansplaining the concept of mansplaining is amazing.
After negging a company by putting his balls on the conference table, it's only appropriate.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Alamo Drafthouse is doing a pre-showing of the first two episodes of Season 4 with a Livestream afterwards this coming Tuesday night. I only found out by checking the calendar of my local one - it's $5 for admission, but that's reimbursed in the form of a food and beverage voucher. You might have to register for their "Victory" program to get access to it, but that's free.
I wish I had encountered this sooner because it was all sold out (well, you can't sell something that's free, but details) when I checked the Brooklyn Alamo Drafthouse.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If you want to establish a douchebag character, having a lacrosse stick and a Tom Brady jersey in his office is probably the best way to do it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love how much loving over there was this episode.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nice thread title change.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I couldn't give less of a poo poo whether the Pied Piper gang constantly starts back at square 1 or whether they become successful at some point, so long as the show remains hilarious.

SLOSifl posted:

Maybe it's because I work for a company in the Silicon Valley into but this is actually a point for accuracy for me. In fact the entire show in my opinion is not a parody at all. :smith:
That's the mark of a good Mike Judge work- bizarre enough to be funny as hell, but relateable enough to be dead-on accurate about the culture it's portraying.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Eh, I think we're overthinking it at this point, and probably getting close to complaining about the magic xylophone -- it was just a funny joke, and they're probably not going to revisit it at all. I just thought it was an odd note when they've done ridiculous but plausible app ideas before.
It'll either lead to nothing, or Jian Yang will get rich down the line by appealing to the bizarre tastes of Silicon Valley egotists.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a testament to how boring people in Silicon Valley are, even the ones who manage to make it big.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there a playlist out there of all the songs that have been on the credits for Silicon Valley?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Has TJ Miller commented on his inspiration for his W mustache this season, or did he just do it because he thought it'd be funny?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The first I've ever heard of those group bike devices was from an episode of Detroiters. I checked the website that was advertised on it and I was shocked to learn it was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh man that description

• Locked thread