Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hollow Talk posted:

Sick burn from a guy with a snogging cartoon version of a videogame character from the game de jour!

no kink shaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

so what

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

continue unfreeing elusif

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Lol if you thought for a second that CCP was going to charge you any less than your minimum $15/mo if you want to not be alpha

just lol

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/introducing-upwell-refineries/

I'm guessing our CSM guys had a pretty huge influence in that moon mining change because I *know* I've seen that exact idea talked about a whole bunch in this thread

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

TG has been dead since TheAdj took over, there were just still people in it up until like 2 years ago :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pineapple on pizza is nasty af. This is, however, from experience and not some misguided bias against mixing fruit with not fruit. Just lol if you haven't had some sort of pork and apple dish.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

scandoslav posted:

Boneless ribs

wat

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

its the rib meat with the bones removed

obviously

it was an ironic "wat", intended to point out the ridiculousness of calling something a boneless bone

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

And I'm sure you discard the meat and just eat the bones when you eat ribs

do you not?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

bad news bareback posted:

There's a place here that has a tikka masala pizza, one of the best pizzas I've ever had.

Categorically Would

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Dalael posted:

There's a guy once in a while on my bus, who unironically wears a trench coat, fedora, those weird sunglasses like that doctor from firefly, a walking cane (with a skull as a pommel) and huge blinged out rings on his fingers.

i think Baron Samedi is riding your bus

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Actually, Discord is very good at what it is designed to do, that being getting small to moderately sized groups of nerds onto a unified, centralized platform from which they can communicate in the various manners to which they have become accustomed.

It's reasonably stable, has decent voice, requires minimal configuration, is multi-platform, and doesn't cost you any money to set up.

It also is selling all of your personal data to advertising companies, but if you use facebook/twitter/amazon/google/et loving cetera, you are already implicitly okay with this.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

It is also the objectively wrong choice for Goon Messaging Service in case there was any confusion as to what point I was making

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

are there any decent MMOs that are coming out anytime soon?

trick question, MMOs are all bad

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

vyst posted:

Not to mention if we got srp because of skill nobody would get a dime

this is the real issue

goons are bad at video games

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

pubbies pulling space rank is probably the most incredibly lol thing in eve

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Right up there with a Toronto Goon meet expecting more than three people

Technically our average is 4.

It's just that the fourth is never the same person

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Whoever handled the most recent recruitment ad buy needs to update their ads because you can definitely try the game for more than two weeks now, and also I'm p sure calling people fags stopped being funny *at least* two years ago.

for real it looks like someone just pulled them from the 2010 recruitment campaign or something

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

putting a price on your time like that doesn't work if you weren't going to be working when doing the less efficient thing anyways

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

"after every single fleet I wind up contemplating a plane ticket to germany and executing a certain german"

How is Soth doing these days?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

boydozer

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Klyith posted:

Um, don't quit your day job because large-scale databases may not be for you.

Most of the actions that you are describing there are not a simple as they seem. That's the bitch of big data: "just find all the x" is a time-consuming operation when you have millions of records to look through. You can make it so that finding all x is very fast, but if finding y and z are more important then x gets cut.

Also running operations on backups is both impractical and inadvisable.

Okay so yeah sure big data means you really have to consider performance, but Eve probably has a couple million account records at best. All you do is tie your conversion script into the account degrade scripts (which obviously already exist). For every account that's downgraded, add them to a list of accounts to process at a later date. This is a minimal addition to a batch script that is already running. Then, potentially during live hours, iterate across that list and check each account. If they're logged in, remove them from the list (they've already been logon-processed). If they're not logged in, run all the updates to their account that are required. This doesn't necessarily need to be done during downtime because if you're performing the operation, they're not logged in and therefore aren't going to be experiencing any service degradation because of DB locking, and the information that you're changing isn't going to be read by anyone but the user (who isn't logged in), so you're not impacting anyone else. However, given that the amount of people going alpha on a day-by-day basis is likely minimal, you could add this to downtime and likely see a correspondingly minimal (if any) downtime impact.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

join top goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

also holy poo poo the rupture visual changes look loving great

• Locked thread