Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Any suggestions on what stats to focus on?

Or what to spend samurai points on? I can't tell if me putting all of my points in high axe stance will gently caress me over but god is it fun to smash dudes with a large axe.

nope, i beat the game focusing entirely on high axe

some tips:

you can donate unused items to the shrine for xp and usable items including elixers and repair stuff. i never had less than 5 repair items of each sort and i used them constantly

use shurikens to lure

tiring out the enemy is king against human enemies, none of them should be able to hurt you if you play well

look for the little green dudes and rescue them for big bonuses

the stamine recharge system works like the active reload in gears of war, if you understand it you can attack twice as often as normal

if you beat a big smoke enemy its gone forever, so don't die at the same time or you will lose out on those items

on the same note, make sure to upgrade to better gear regularly

you can do drop/jump kills just like in souls

on another note, i had zero fps drops, not sure what people are talking about with that

fighting multiple enemies at the same time isn't that hard after a while either, since you can just instantly murder the weak ones and tire out the strong ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i put all my points in strength and that worked fine for me. every level gets you health, damage for your axe and 2 samurai points

i didn't notice any real difference between axe and hammers

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah its a graveyard area about a third the size of the first map

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

level 2 = run for the tree with mist you can knock down, run for the door next to spawn, run for the key, activate the save point right next to the boss. but my god, so much annoying stuff you have to dodge

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i was thinking the reason they named yari spears is because maybe later in the game you get european type spears too. i understand the annoyance with the inconsistency though, its always weird when certain terms are left untranslated while other are

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Snak posted:

Wait... There's a shrine by the boss? Is the key that item in the tree? Dueling revenants is fun. You get a cup to summon a sunmurai bro every time you win. And you can always find a super easy one to beat. I fought one that had no armor at all.

there's a key in an alley to the left of the boss, this opens a gate to the right of the boss that has a shrine plus some annoying statue enemies and a chest

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hmm i don't remember any real group fights except those assholes just in front of the beach. there were a few 2 man patrols but thats mostly just a guy that dies in 1 hit and another one

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its not an issue in the demo, use the tons of repair items you get

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

run whatever direction gets you behind him and stay there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems weird devs actually taking player feedback into account before they even release the full game.

its shocking to see open betas actually used as betas

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ginchiyo Tachibana gets my hell yeah

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wish this new demo started you with some better gear

also has anyone else noticed how the mc keeps walking for like a sec sometimes after you stop holding forward? real annoying in a level with cliffs!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fwiw the mark thing works in europe, the demo even detected i had completed the previous demo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

beat the demo, have both the mark of the strong and of the conquerer now, i assume that is all that is unlockable for the full game.

thoughts:
i still dont like fighting oni as much as humans, but they are way easier to manipulate into running out of stamina, making them better now than in the previous beta

i thought the game felt worse than the previous alpha at first but once i got some gear (went straight into caves) and an axe things felt better again. did not like dual swords. the matchlock is decent and the handcannon is really strong, it has some setup so you cant use it against bosses but i was able to 3 shot a big oni with it and kill it before it got to me

there needs to be some way to spend money on elixers, i had an insane surplus of money with nothing decent to spend it on, and doing a circle for elixers still sucks

some of the new enemies are neat, did anyone manage to catch the kappa? too fast for my axe build. the wall mimic was a neat surprise too, albeit way too easy after the initial shock
amount of loot seems way lower than jn the precious alpha which makes sense

the new boss is way harder than the previous demo bosses. hint, keep dodging and getting in single hits until she gets tired, then use your spirit

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kojicolnair posted:

Fighting the second boss and can't beat her at all. I tried summoning a few people but they all walked off a cliff and killed themselves so I guess I'll have to just do it myself.

you can forward roll through both the charge and projectile attacks. stay somewhat far away so she does those, roll, hit once, disengage, repeat. when shes tired blast your spirit and she should either die or be very close to death

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prjQtXkSW2Q

I kid you not I must've died like 100 times to this boss

where is this guy? never found him

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the full game will probably encourage a lot of weapon swapping considering how fast you earn skill points with a fresh weapon. hell, you get so many points you will probably end up with 1 weapon maxed and being forced to spend points in the other ones even if just to get the passives (do these work when you don't have the weapon equipped?)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

anybody have a good guide for cave lady?

i know i need to be packing needles in case i get paralysed but what is she weak to, what moves in each form should i go in on? is there a good weapon to roll with? etc. thanks.

i used axe. dodge , hit once , dodge, hit once, repeat until she is tired. unleash your special attack, kill her. you can forward dodge through all of her long range attack so stay at medium range to bait those

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the 2nd boss is like 2 ladders and 10 seconds walking away from the closest shrine

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

heavy armor & hammer man here

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah you can do a roll out of it, saved my life a shameful amount of times

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Speaking of the caves, I made it to the boss, but I think I must have missed a path or something because the run from the last shrine is really long and there's a lot of stuff in this big cavern I can't reach. Is there some side road that I keep running past?

when you run down the cliffside further down the caves, look for a place you can jump off with one of those oni portals. theres a shrine there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hope magoichi saika(s?) is/are in the game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

any new content?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its kinda annoying how the guardian spirits are kinda worthless on bosses if you don't use them the first time. by the time its charged again you're either quite a few attempts further or the boss is dead. either way, ogress is dead

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i imagine in the full game you probably unlock more talismans somehow, considering how many skills have additional requirements we can't do on them

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

There's even a skill for bare-handed attacks :raise:

theres a skill that lets bare handed parries steal enemy weapons too which could be fun

another interesting skill i found was one that made your weapon deal more damage with every enemy you defeat until you die/rest at a shrine

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

keep in mind that armor also benefits from different stats by unlocking more abilities, as well as guardian spirits for passive bonuses. so there's tons of incentives to spread your stats around a bit

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is everyone that thinks bosses have too much hp leveling right and using their skills? im mean they have a lot of hp, but they don't have that much more than your average souls boss

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RatHat posted:

Speaking of the slimes, what yokai are they supposed to be anyway?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

years of dark souls has trained me to attack anything that comes from a chest

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wonder why kelley. wouldn't one of the various jesuits loving around in japan have been a more obvious choice?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lakbay posted:

You know it's a Koei-Tecmo game because they managed to shove Nobunaga into the game even though he's 20 years dead in 1600

pf, like nobunaga would get stopped by death

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats cool

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the game isn't out yet and we don't even know half the skills in it yet, so that would be a bit premature

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lets hang out posted:

here's a tiny pic of date to squint at

that helmet... thats date alright

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there a day 1 patch or install? or can i just pop in the game tonight and play right away?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Relin posted:

Did anyone else get sent 2 preorder codes by amazon? The first had the three items for the standard preorder and the second I couldn't redeem, perhaps because it was the same as the first

i got 0 codes!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Pro Tip: fight lots Revenants when you have an AI companion because holy lol they're easy. Thanks for the free set equipment!

can you summon them like in souls somehow, or are they mission specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

They're just wherever people have died so you see a bunch around tough encounters usually.

NOTE: finishing a mission's quest objective will lock you out from doing anything other than picking up stuff on the ground until you leave.

nah man, i mean friendly npc summons, not the revenants. killed plenty of those (every red name i come across for one)