Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm surprised so many people didn't like the second mission, I liked it better than the first. Those onis are actually pretty fun to fight once you get a weapon that damages them effectively.

Besides Way of the Samurai and Onimusha, this game gives me pretty serious Godhand vibes with the way to deal with groups of enemies and the pace at which things can quickly go wrong if you choke in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Few questions. What's the timing for Flashing Heaven? The only finisher I can pull off is Kick. :v:

You can manually set which skills are used, and when there are two that can be used in the same stance I think the newest one acquired replaces the old one.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Gamestop won't give you anything off and its loving gamestop. If you're going to buy it from gamestop don't pre-order at all, just walk in on release day and buy it retail like normal.

That's fine for most AAA releases, but with less popular titles from overseas you usually need to preorder because most stores won't even order extra copies. I hope Nioh is popular and successful but I'm not going to risk missing out on my copy just to make a dumb point about preorders.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Flux really isn't that hard, you just have to push a face button with r1 when you ki pulse instead of just hitting r1

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I've been really busy since the beta dropped so I haven't seen the new stage, but dual swords is just Zoro mode :stare:

That move where you sheath both of your swords is just onigiri. Also it's strong af

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I like how drop attacks have a fairly generous hitbox. It was kind of risky to use them in Dark Souls because you'd be left wide open if you missed.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Speaking of the item goggle button, I wish you held it down to have temporary use of the secondary set instead of a toggle. I keep switching to it and forgetting I did then I'm stuck wondering why my elixir won't work.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm still trucking through the cave, but those two cyclops with the long tongues at the end of the field level were some intense poo poo. Reminded me of a gargoyle bossfight for from DS but without the easy headstart.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm surprised there still isn't a hammer tree

E: Oh poo poo I hadn't noticed

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 5, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Anybody who is annoyed at how limited the beta tests were must have never attempted to participate in any of fromsoft's network tests

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

This samurai boss makes the bloody crow from Bloodborne look like a fair fight. Jesus christ

Also why the hell can't I buy Elixirs with anything? I've lost enough to this boss that now I have to go grind elixir drops in the easier mission. Why can't I just use all this gold to get some?

You get them pretty regularly from offering equipment you don't want

I'm skipping out on this demo cause I don't wanna spend an hour breaking all my habits from a similar game just to turn around and reverse it, but I'm so drat hyped for this game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm going to go all in on katana and omnyo. I plan on abusing the heck out of magic that increases ki regen with a massive ki bar from stacking heart. That's guaranteed to be a mean build in PvP.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Thank God for Yakuza 0, if it wasn't for that I'd be chomping at the bit for this game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

When I saw that Nobunaga was in the game I was disappointed that they didn't make Yasuke the main character, but that's cool that he's still in the game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I never was a big fan of Dark Souls co-op, but the Diablo style equipment definitely has more more interested in it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah that's what I mean, getting equipment drops makes co-op more worthwhile for me

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm not so sure that's true. When I played the random co-op, it had the revive mechanic. Did they change it in the most recent demo?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

What is a Ni-oh?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

redreader posted:

I played the demo of this some time last year, and couldn't beat the first guy with my fists (he was armored with a sword). I'm a dark souls 'expert' (sl1 run on original dark souls, beat 4 kings. Have also beat all souls games + bloodborne) but this just seemed harder. To be fair I only tried once or twice then gave up. Was it harder in the alpha? Does this look like a great game?

The first alpha was harder, but I'm pretty sure you got a sword before you fought the first enemy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Maybe some day :sigh:

Nah, nobody is going to make a commercial brawler with tank controls again

The only hope is an indie game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Genocyber posted:

So apparently this is the kind of thing you can expect in ng+ (boss spoilers).

http://i.imgur.com/IcBTbft.jpg

Well gently caress that, guess I'm not doing ng+

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The bonus damage vs yokai realm has got to mean nonhumans, it was in the earliest public alpha before they even fleshed out the different modes.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

while Ninjitsu is more like Pyromancy, if you had to say something like that.

I think the closest comparison is arcane in Bloodborne. It's got some useful stuff but you can't rely on them entirely.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The Oni in the boat was kicking my rear end, despite having killed him 3 times prior in the tests, until I remembered that high stance wrecks him fast

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Not only are the paths more direct and obvious, the game has minimap with an objective marker

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

AND there's consumable items that you can use to say "Hey dingus, go this way"

What do those do anyway? I didn't notice a difference when I used one, but I immediately changed it back out for a different talisman.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Maybe it helps you locate kodama. I had already found all the ones in the village so I couldn't test it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

William is the protoweab. He travels to Japan, imagines himself training in a dojo and now he is a samurai.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

How Souls-y is this game with respect to penalizing death, anyway, pretty much the same deal?

The one thing that is different is your bloodstain is your guardian animal, which means you can't build your spirit meter up while you go back to retrieve it, and if you die while it's still on the ground you don't leave another one for you to recover.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Nioh - Livin' the weab dream

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

One thing that isn't mentioned in game, bigger yokai can be staggered if hit in the head. For example, you can shoot the Oni in the boat in the head with an arrow and it will get staggered pretty easily.

I'm not sure how useful it is towards the end of the game but it's certainly nice early on.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The one that you activate by pressing circle + triangle while living weapon is active does use a chunk of the bar

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

That's what I meant. Do each of the guardian spirits have a different special attack (while living weapon is active)?

Yeah, I've only seen the shark one and they just float swirl around a little bit. Doesn't seem to be worth using over attacking yourself, but it might be useful for doing damage while dodging.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah R1, R2 just swaps between consumables

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm really pleased with how viable light armor is in this game. The magic or spirit scaling stuff is easy to get and has really nice defense.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

For people trying to get a purple raikiri, just farm players revenants with purple katanas. The sword is extremely popular so it's probably quicker that way than wasting mats.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Crafting it guarantees its your level though, while trying to find a revenant who is your level and has your level katana may take a bit.

What else are crafting mats for? :v:

I'm saving mine for crafting an armor endgame set. You're going to be dumping cash into the sword to level it anyway, doing it one extra time isn't a big deal.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Phyresis posted:

itt your all bobby

Somebody should shop William's face onto the fat kid

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Is there an easier free way to reset familiarity on a weapon besides that blades of light omnyo spell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Why? What's the benefit?

More samurai points without having to switch weapons.