Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I love parrying in this game and not feeling like it's a total crapshoot against some enemies. The only thing I don't like is the limited quick item slots when you start getting more ninjutsu and onmyo magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, I wasn't able to parry the Oni demons at all. Not sure if you can even parry axes even. But it kicks rear end against other katana dudes. If you can't use it against the others though may not be the best skill in the world, which considering how easy it is to destroy people may be necessary for balance.

You can parry the axe dudes but not the Oni from what I've tried. Would've made the ninja Oni less of an rear end in a top hat if so. I haven't tried parrying the zombie guys when they're standing up because gently caress those guys.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Harrow posted:

I can't decide if I want to run through the second mission right now or make a new guy and spec for spears. The spears seem really good. Are they actually as good as they seem?

Spears are pretty drat good and it has a move in mid stance that forces an enemy to show their back to you on demand. It also has a sweep that knocks enemies down but the input is a bit annoying to do.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Glad they're adding more item shortcuts since that was the only thing that really bothered me.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Putting adds on the first twilight boss is the loving wooooooooooooooooooooorst.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Finished all the game has to offer and I'm liking the new stuff a lot. I really like the oni infested twilight stages for getting some good gear but the bosses getting adds sucks big time. I'll probably do a new game and mess around with axes, handcannons and heavy armor.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Hold R1 and press right or left on the pad or up and down for ranged weapons. The blacksmith is super good once you understand how it works but it's till not gonna stop me from offering everything.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 27, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Rain stages will always get a pass from me.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I tried an all heavy equipment run but the slow rear end ki regen was too much for me. It does however have functioning poise so you can tank a slash and hit the fucker super hard. I can see it being better if you dump every point in stamina and strength to raise equip load.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's kinda weird that there's three co op modes but I really like the one were you keep doing missions with the same partner.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That's the only problem I have with the game so far. I had to kite group all over the room and hit them once with the spear because otherwise I could never get a hit in.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I do hope they make unarmed viable. I put a point in that skill for the hell of it and I managed to parry the very first attack and stab the dude with his own sword :feelsgood:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Can't say no to free amrita and items from shrine offerings.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

RatHat posted:

If they didn't change the movesets then Spears will still be an extremely safe option, while Dual-swords will be the highest DPS, Axes will be high burst damage, and I don't know what Swords excel at, if anything.

They're probably going to be the most well rounded of the bunch. It has the really good parries and that guard crush that I never got to pull off in the demos.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Lakbay posted:

I tried to do a cannon/heavy armor build by dumping my points into stamina or whatever the equipment burden stat was and even after +20 stat points into it I think I got only 1 unit extra of encumbrance and the cool looking heavy armors were still too heavy to even move around in :argh:

Hopefully there's some kind of havel's ring equivalent

I hope so because I tried doing a tank build in the beta with the cannon, heavy armor and axe and boy was it not great. You do get DS1 poise but the stamina regen penalty was way too much for me.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Anyone here unable to access "Mark of the Conquerer" after beating the Ogre? It let me download Mark of the Strong just fine.

I can't access it either which sucks because I beat the twilight version too.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I may have unintentionally found a really broken setup with spirit, onmyo and fast hitting weapons. There's a talisman that gives amrita on hit so if you go into devil trigger you can keep that up for a really long time. I had it up for half the ogress fight with the kusarigama in the twilight version.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

RatHat posted:

What guardian spirit do you guys prefer? I like the fire wolf and earth bull ones because their living weapons last the longest.

I like the bull one the most due to getting 30 hp back when you get amrita. It makes elixirs last a little longer between shrines.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Gonna do a onmyou, guardian beast and lance build. I read something about how much ki you lose when hit depending on the armor weight so there's that.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm more curious on what happens when you level them up.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I found the paralysis effect pretty lovely but I'll bet it'll have it's uses in pvp. Poison is fine for me because it killed a tengu and the surprise onryoki when I had to get out and recover.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I don't regret switching over to light armor. I had 12 Stamina and 13 Strength for a while so I could wear medium armor (and stay in B Agility) if I found a set I liked, but so far, every set that I've found post-Warrior of the West that I like has been light, so, screw medium armor, I guess.

I mean, medium does have the Kingo set (Crossed Sickles), which gives you +20% damage from behind if you have 6 pieces, but set bonuses that require more than four or five pieces are really hard to maintain and not worth sacrificing other things for.

It helped that I tested the damage reduction difference between light and medium and came up with a big, fat "who gives a poo poo," too. Medium will probably let you take one more hit than light in some situations, but not enough that I think it's a selling point in and of itself. I just can't get that excited about 7% more damage reduction.

I wonder if it's even possible to reach A-rank Agility in heavy armor, if it takes 54 Stamina just to reach B-rank. Given how little you get per point of Stamina and how much more equip weight you need to lose to get from B to A Agility, I don't think it can be done.

I'm at 96 stamina and I'm still at C agility with the obsidian set and I don't think I'll ever reach B.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Feenix posted:

I enjoy the challenge, and all that, but man, the jump in challenge from previous missions to even the first 2 skeleton mooks in the Spider Castle level is almost jarringly huge.

Also, it feels really cheap that the skeletal, human-sized enemies cannot be parried or spun behind you with L1+Triangle or L1+Square respectively.

Lame.

You can actually. Only on the small ones and with both of the single katana parry.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Feenix posted:

I literally stood next to "my height" skeletons who swung at me and I died like 10 times repeatedly trying to parry. (This is coming off perfect-parrying Benkei on the bridge...) and nothing ever happened. So I tried my move that pushes my spear to their back and swings them behind me. Over and over and over. It just does nothing at all. No effect.

It is unfortunately with the 1 handed katana parry only.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I love the dual swords with raccoon tail sheathes. Looks great with the strategists garb too.

If you look closely at the forging materials it needs you'll see what they're actually made of.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Big old hairy spider legs. I do love the web motif on the guard but the scabbard kinda ruins it for me.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Harrow posted:

In fact, unless you can reliably inflict confusion (what a lot of us call "discord" but apparently the game calls "confusion"), that's by far the easiest way to take him out. Hitting his chest when he's glowing immediately drains his Ki, at which point you can beat on him for a bit, then get the gently caress out before he does his recharge-bolt, then do it again.

If you can confuse him, though, you're free to mash attack all you want.

I was wondering what the gently caress that meant on Izuna or whatever the fox spirit's name was.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can make some busted poo poo once you fully understand how the blacksmith works and have the cash.

I'm slowly trying to get it to +20.

poptart_fairy posted:

So, uh, Path of the Demon Orachi.

:catstare:

I did a coop session in that level and Kelly destroyed us with the grab attack that healed all the damage we did to him.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There's the restless spirits mission that gives out 1.5 million in WoTD. You can do it super easily if you cheese it with onmyo stuff.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just found out today in coop that you can kill Orochi before he even goes to his final phase if you beat all the heads. I thought I got disconnected for a second there but nope.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You'll be stuck in C agility even with 99 stamina unless you forge weight reduction on some pieces. I did an Obsidian samurai build before the dlc and it was extremely strong even with C agility.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Lotta good stuff in that patch especially the Odachi's reach on twin moons since you will always whiff it in a full combo and faster lumber chops. Also thank gently caress your stuff refreshes when a host visits a shrine now.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Early on it's best to offer junk. Once you hit way of the strong/demon you're going to be selling everything that isn't divine rank gear.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It really depends on what you're fighting. Human enemies get ruined by mid stance with the parries, low stance is the fastest way for building up status effects and high is great for when you drain ki on yokai or slow enemies. You'll be switching between all three on the fly once you get the hang of it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just did a few random coops and got it really fast.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I paired it with the axe so I have an anti human and anti yokai weapon. They both have passives that increase damage against them and they scale with strength.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The ones I use are anti paralytic needles, antidotes, small soul stones and water charms. Getting paralyzed in this game is a death sentence so being able to break out of it instantly does wonders.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 3, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can craft in Way of the strong when divines start being a thing. When you start Way of the demon you can use trash +10 gear to raise your favorite stuff or replace them entirely. I'm close to having a level 200 +20 Raikiri I made from scratch.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It ain't reworked fists but eh close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Being able to deflect cannon shots back to the enemy is cool and good.