Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Legitimately surprised that active skill works on any yokai at all, even small ones with regular knockdowns like gaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

signalnoise posted:

They do different things but really important to me between Feral and Phantom is what your burst counter can do for you when you don't actually need to counter something. Feral gives a ridiculous get out of jail dodge, which is absolutely necessary when playing those paper-thin builds that are always attacking. Phantom on the other hand gives you a momentary perfect guard, which has more or less utility than the dodge depending on what you're trying to do. I think also that in order to get good at using any of the burst counters, you should be using them for things other than burst. When you are more familiar with its general use, then you will be more ready to use it for the red smoke.

If you have a use for the brute burst counter that isn't performing normal burst counters I'm all ears :v: Even for moves with lots of ending delay, I'd rather just press an actual soul core button. Maybe this is the price I pay for the easiest burst counters to hit.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

signalnoise posted:

One of the really cool things about the brute burst counter is that it counts as you attacking and can be used to cover yourself after a move with heavy recovery frames, and if you aren't using mid-attack damage, then what the gently caress are you doing playing brute anyway, right? This matters less if you are going crazy anima and amrita, but if you aren't doing that, it's extremely useful in my opinion as a pretty safe "ah poo poo i dunno what's coming but it ain't good" button. If you're fighting humans, it's a great thing to keep pressure on them during your strings so you don't give them an inch.

That makes sense, I usually have cores with extra anima gain and anima - magic hit so I never really lack for anima to spend on cheap soul cores to recover from moves - I can certainly see how that would be handy if you weren't built that way

EDIT: Unrelated to that, I'n on dream of the nioh and currently have a scroll with ultimate constitution (hp quickly regenerates as long as you are above 70%). I have life recovery amrita absorption from my chest, acessory, nupeppo soul core and guardian spirit Oh. Also have the star property 'life regeneration on amrita absorbtion', heavy armor, and a soul core with life steal on yokai ability. It is hilarious to have random small hits do literally nothing as my health fills right back up, and if I drop to half, I have so many ways of filling back up and hitting the 70% threshold and healing to full. Great tanky build.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 27, 2021

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's a very good question. My only guess is that anima charge bonus (amrita gauge) simply isn't allowed to be on weapons at all for no particular reason.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

You could always practice quick swapping item menus for spells, personally I use three sets of items, one of which has buffs and two with active spells. If you've got good magic and want confusion, try the element-of-choice familiar talismans - makes orbs that orbit you that get launched on strong attacks, so you can match them with a different weapon and buildup two things at once. Do a hefty amount of element damage and even buildup a lot of debuff without being launched. I've used them with 75-100 points in magic all the way into and beyond dream of the nioh.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If by final boss you mean Nightmare Bringer, there are a couple of ways you might make that easier. One of the Sake items gives you immunity to elemental debuffs - very helpful to avoid getting hit by lightning and slowed to a crawl, and prevents you getting confused. He is resistant to elements but not purity, so using that on your weapons can help you drain his ki. I can't help much with the actual dodging/fight mechanics, I almost entirely played heavy armor.

If you want a particularly cheesy combo you can spam in light armor, you can use fists in light stance. Use Kick Cycle, then cancel it when it is nearly finished with forwards + ki pulse input for the ki pulse punch, which you can then chain into kick cycle again. Costs almost zero ki, deals solid damage, builds up stacks of intensity, and you can do all of that in light stance so you can have super dodging.

As far as soul cores go, otakemaru core is very expensive and immoible. If you wanted damage, Kasha is pretty good, just slow to throw out, and chases down enemies so you can't miss. If you want to try drain his ki so you can stagger him, you can't beat Fuki - fast, middle cost, high ki damage. I've tested a lot of soul cores, and that one is the standout for ki-drain.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 19, 2022

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A couple more things I just thought of:

Make sure you have an accessory with 'faster winded recovery'. Makes you recover much quicker when you get put into a stagger state from having zero ki.

And here's an obvious one that you may not like: just skip him and go to the next NG+ level. You can come back later when your favourite weapon gets another 5 +levels if you want. Some people might think this is cheap or underhanded but I skip Tengu-man (whose name I can't remember) boss battle from DLC1 every time I played a NG+ level. He's just resistant to all elemental damage, which makes 98% of magic and guardian spirit summons near useless, and vast numbers of soul cores, too. His ki damage through guard is way too high and he jumps away all the drat time. Screw that guy, no fun to fight as a dedicated mage player.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ryomen Sukuna is my favourite multi-hit high anima cost soul core, but he's better for yokai shift and/or if he gets life recovery on yokai ability hit but that's a random property, so you might not get it on something you want. Kasha has that inherently and is definitely one of the better soul cores, though, that's for certain.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Is Nioh 1 worth playing? Or is it worse than 2 in every way?

The plot is miles ahead of Nioh2. I love Nioh 2, I think it is probably the best action/character building game that exists, but the plot is beyond garbage. Nioh 1's plot is actually reasonable, there's some details and stuff to learn about the characters if you read the pre-mission text, character bio entries, etc. Even if you don't, the characters are stronger and the plot is still more interesting.

Hypothetically, the only things you actually lose are switchglaives, fists, splitstaffs, soul cores (though there's a super mode like yokai shift) and a handful of spells/moves on other weapons. Other than that, it is another large collection of Nioh missions with the same base action mechanics - I'd certainly play it once if you can live without the things I listed above.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

How could I forget about hatchets? I love my (garbage) throwing weapons. Probably a fair point about enemies, now that I think on it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Morter posted:

Maybe because I was somewhat invested in my own character but I loved Nioh 2's story over 1's. Even being aware of the Warring States period and plenty of the notable characters, Nioh 1 felt like William was just wandering around, running into people, randomly having meetings with them, then he goes kills some things. Meanwhile I could and recall the plot and character interactions for Nioh 2 despite only having seen the cutscenes once. Maybe 2's is simpler, and that's why? But it made more sense to me, and I enjoyed the characters more.

The simplest way I would summarize how I feel about 2 is that first, it has a non-speaking customizable protagonist who silently glares at people, which isn't interesting. Second, it also feels very disjointed, like they just cut half the scenes out of the game. You meet Nobunaga, then you meet kappa-man to make a castle, then Nobunaga dies off screen (seriously, what's up with that, why does a major event like that happen off screen). It doesn't feel like there is any build up at all as to why Nobunaga dies in the temple when he should be a major character, considering the setting/time period.

Nioh 1 feels more natural to me, you start as William who got thrown in jail, then his fairy gets kidnapped so he goes to japan to get it back, then he happens to slay some monsters and bump into some locals who help him out, then you help them so Hanzo introduces you to Tokugawa who is having trouble because Kelly is helping his enemy, etc.

Some of this is probably just because I remember a lot more about Nioh 1 because it doesn't have a blank, silent protagonist, which is a pet peeve of mine. I'd rather a boring character like a William or a Geralt or similar a thousand times over a blank silent character.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Warden posted:

You are aware that Nobunaga died in that temple at that time IRL, yes?

I am aware, I mean that in game it doesn't feel like he achieves anything. It feels like you meet him, then you do a small number of random missions which do not feature nobunaga and you kill a bunch of yokai, then he dies off screen. I don't get the impression that he was a mighty warlord at all, when it feels like that is how he should be portrayed in game (especially if you consider his Nioh 1 appearance).

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

For Katana if you are playing light armor, take the mystic art that increases back attack damage. My rough estimate is that it increases back attack damage from 50% more to double. That's pretty hefty for something that does not take much work to use.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

No stamina and no stances isn't that surprising given that Final Fantasy SOP didn't have those things. Curious about that offense and defense stuff.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

SOP did have your break gauge, which worked rather like a stamina gauge.

Yeah, I was only not counting it because you can attack as much as you want without getting tired (I think this does make a pretty big difference in feel to Nioh)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

They better not have another bird man who is resistant to all elements because screw you, player :mad:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I really like the spellcasting in SOP, they really nailed the slow, powerful, room clearing mage in a fast action game.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

But the mage class seems like the most broken because you can build back MP with just charging a spell while in the other classes you can only build mp by hitting the enemy.

If you want more MP regen, you can get some levels in Red Mage, it has the universal command skill 'Mana Regen' that spends one block of max mana to regen 5-6 blocks over time. I used that command skill basically for the whole game, alongside Rune of Blood from Black Mage (next active skill/spell deals double damage)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

Would you recommend playing on hard the first time? I usually pay whatever the default is, but for something similar to Nioh the difficulty seems like it would be more important.

I played SOP on hard the first time, having already played nioh1/2. I think that was the right choice, still felt like a challenge without being super punishing. Some bosses can be pretty hard if you are fixated on a single job, though. Helps to try multiple options.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

Wait how do you remove the party members? I need to retry the bosses by myself now. This is how I played Code Vein, having your partner made that game completely trivial but solo it was a super challenging experience, I thought at the time it was harder than some souls games.

In the party member select screen, you can set a slot as empty. I don't remember if it is a specific button or something else but I think it is pretty obvious when you are looking?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

OxMan posted:

Hey y'all i heard nioh 2 improves on nioh 1 massively, is there a reason to play 1 at all or just hop right into 2? I've only played this first 3 levels or so of the original, have a basic understanding of switching styles to restore stamina mechanic.

Nioh 1 is another collection of missions to go through and is good in its own right. However, the only downside I see for skipping to 2 right now is that you may find it hard to go back to the first if you like any of the new mechanics/items/weapons/spells etc.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Can you get the gun early? I had a look at DLC 1 and 2 but they are super high level stuff and the level scaling to get better gear sucks.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Reinforcing what was said by Pennfalath, magic is good once your magic stat is high

The magic shot talismans are also a bit weaker than the specialized spells, but you can stock more for less capacity. Getting a good multi hit with lightning bolts or any of the good guardian spirit scrolls would deal a lot more damage in one cast. I think they would generally be weaker than an out-of-ki bonus damage hit from a ninja scroll, but on the other hand, you can deal decent damage without having to do any ki drain

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It could be worse, it could be the levels in Stranger of Paradise :v:

I very much like the mechanics of SOP but the levels are all boring copy-paste corridors with occasional set-piece views in some rare places

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

I’m about to start a magic run on Nioh 2 having only ever done various Ninja builds before, any quick advice? I’m going to go HAM on magic so am planning on putting all my points into that except for what I need for armor requirements, and use switchglaive and split staff. Is there another stat that’s useful as a secondary?

Personally I like heavily armored mage, you can swing/block some hits and while you wait for your ki to slowly come back, you can cast some spells

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

You can get 'grace' bonuses on 5star gear that gives you a reward for having a high stat like ultimate constitution/magic/etc from nioh2. Other than those it is pretty unremarkable.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Sorry to necro the thread, but I've been revisiting Nioh 2 Remastered. Any build tips for a boring medium-armour samurai build that's light on ninjutsu and magic? I decided to go all-in on that whole 'yokai samurai' vibe, focusing on single and double katanas (although any medium weapon is fine). Currently using the Kingo's set, and I'm sure the Kohoku Master's set is also good, but anything else I've overlooked? How about Guardian Spirits?

For guardian spirits if you like blocking more than dodging I would suggest a brute spirit (they all have anima bonus when you block):
-Makami (starter wolf, you can get it from a side mission if you didn't pick it at start) gives less melee ki cost, final blow damage, and all yokai ability damage
-Atlas Bear if you find yourself getting guard broken often - gives damage bonus when low on ki and faster winded recovery (the state you get put in when you try block with not enough ki)
-Shin Roku if you're using lightning weapon talismans (recommend those if you're having trouble, shocked enemies get their attacks slowed)
-Isanagami if you're using water weapon talismans

If you find yourself dodging more than blocking then I'd suggest a feral spirit (they all have anima bonus cumulative damage - you get more anima the more hits you land in melee without getting hit)
-Masaru gives you a generic damage boost on amrita absorption and gives you purity on your strong attacks, good if you aren't using any elemental weapon scrolls
-Yaonami-hime if you're using water weapon scrolls - anima bonus on saturated enemies
-Hiyokucho gives a small generic ki bonus and ki recovery bonus when your amrita gauge is full

This is assuming you're not concerned about their unique summon spells, given that you said you weren't doing too much magic

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm also replaying Nioh 2 again, after playing with a few weapons in act one it feels like I'm settling in on claws, odachi, and ninjutsu as my core builds (so heart, strength, stamina, dexterity as my core stats).

Is there a heavy armor ninjutsu set that plays into me having a bunch of strength and stamina as well as dexterity,, or am I mostly just looking to build set bonuses for straight fighting and look to get ninjutsu bonuses from tempering armor?

For an actual set bonus for heavy armor + ninja, the 'malefactor's set' (I think that's the name, its the spider armor from matsunaga hisahide) gives you bonuses to bombs and throwing damage. If you aren't using bombs, your best bet is just tempering your favourite gloves and accessories for kunai/throwing damage. I don't think there are any other set bonuses on heavy armor that directly effect ninja tools, until you start doing ng+ cycles and get grace bonuses.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Team ninja just can't resist the allure of huge monster the size of a building but every one they've tried in nioh, stranger of paradise, and wo-long all either actively suck or are just tedious

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Vermain posted:

taotie's significantly better now that it's gone through a few patches, and it's at least got a camera that lets you see incoming attacks this time around

Depending on your new game+ cycle, I would rate taotie in new game as tedious and taotie in new game+ as actively sucking (the +5 morale boost and relative time waste increase is large), the only thing that matters is your spirit damge, not actual damage, so a bunch of weapons, spells, and martial arts aren't worth using.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

In Nioh 1 I did a Sword/Spear build, mostly because the Ii armor and spear are so badass. I may do that again, but I also want to try an onmyo or ninjutsu build. Now that there are some specific magic scaling weapons, it seems more fun.

If you go heavy onmyo, are you still mostly relying on talismans and weapon buffs, or do the actual fireball type spells start doing good damage? I’ve heard that high level shurikan/kunai builds start to do good damage as well.

The basic stuff does fairly decent damage if you go hard on magic. I don't know if you could carry enough to kill a boss without swinging your weapon, but you could make an strong attempt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So you want to hit at least B toughness and, ideally, A Agility? Internet says with the Ii clan bonus you can hit B toughness and A agility with the Red Demon armor. I’m thinking a Spear/Tonfa build for regular game, but I still need to get to the armor first.

If you are going light armor, I don't think you -need- B toughness if you are very good at dodging or if you have lots of points in Ki or use a lot of Ki regen talismans. Depends how much you find yourself blocking instead of dodging.

Thumbtacks posted:

there's no thread for it but you guys probably know enough about it. was that one final fantasy game any good? the one that was basically nioh

idk how much replayability it has compared to nioh but it looked pretty neat

The plot is nothing, the best you will get is a funny line or two, the environments are often plain or ugly as hell, and the gear scaling on NG+ meant I would need to repeat each level twice to get enough gear to make my average gear level get high enough I wasn't taking a massive and arbitrary 'you are too low level penalty' so I never played any of the DLC.

The gameplay, however, is solid! All the different weapons are distinct and have their own tricks, they integrated the 'strike and dodge' or 'block and strike' moves a lot of nioh weapons have directly into the weapon movesets, and the magic is great for throwing big spells.