Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's the stuff like the Muneshige duel that has people going apeshit. And that fight is a real oval office. I did it last night, took me about three dozen attempts with one coming super close before I decided to hump the stump and cheese it.

That duel is so weirdly placed. It's at the end of the first chapter, but is harder than anything else you can do prior to the credits rolling. After going through NG+, I'll disagree with another poster who said he's only hard because you learn him first. Even after completing NG and knowing how to deal with human bosses, he's more of a pain in the rear end than the others. All the others can be dealt with by the standard Souls technique of dodging behind them. :v:

The Moon Monster posted:

How the hell do I get blacksmith patronage points? I'm on region 5 and have earned a grand total of 1. I'm using the smith plenty, so I'm not sure what else there is for me to do there.

It's pretty funny how all of the weeaboo jokes about William ended up being so spot on. He becomes a peerless weaponsmaster by reading an issue of Shonen Jump on his boat ride to glorious Zipangu. When he gets there he trains under Hattori Hanzo and is immediately made a samurai and accepted into the highest levels of society. He then becomes the right hand man of the Shogun, wielding steel folded over 1000 times by Muramasa himself while flirting with a posse of tsundere ninja girls.

He also cock blocks himself by being to "mysterious" to actually talk to the girl.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

This is precisely how I look at it.

Although, even "punishing" can be misleading. Nioh is far less mean about punishing you for death than souls was. Summoner's Candles are literally loving everywhere. Its like if Dark Souls had 200 rings of sacrifice and you could use them AFTER dying to bring your bloodstain back. That's... unbelievably forgiving for a souls-like. Once you realize you can do that... you never really lose souls.

And that's on top of souls being separate from gold, and other things. So its less of that kinda... survival horror feeling that souls almost has, and its more about just perfect execution of the level so that you can get through the whole thing without losing so much health that you die. Like... an old school NES game.

That's what those things do? For some reason I recalled someone saying they gave you revenant rewards without fighting them and I never used them because fighting revenants is fun.

Not that it's a huge loss. I pretty much never lost my amrita because, like souls, it's always easy to just run past poo poo and pick up your bloodstain. Worst case too many enemies follow you so you pick it up then run back close to the shrine to die right next to it. :v:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The monster boss fights are pretty mediocre. The humanoid ones are mostly really good though (I'm counting the Frog as humanoid).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

BatLady was a bit rough as an Axe user. Trick seemed to be to just not even try to dodge any of her melee attacks; whenever she starts running at you just sprint backwards a few steps and then spin around and do a high stance sprinting attack .

You don't have to spin around. If you lock on and run toward the screen, you will still move at full sprint but be ready to attack as soon as you stop.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I use heavy armor because it's easiest to just look at what gear has the biggest overall number before equipping it, but I haven't had any trouble with ki running out. So long as your ki pulsing is halfway decent you still have way more ki than you'd have stamina in a Souls game.

Edit: Does encumbrance also change your dodge? That might make it worth looking at...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alteisen posted:

That's cool, hope sloth talismans are next on the nerf block.

I think sloth is pretty valid for some NG+ encounters, if you use it intelligently it takes some edge off for some play styles. It needs a nerf for bosses though, yes. I think just making its duration on bosses really short would be sufficient.

My biggest wish for a patch is pretty unlikely: I want them to somehow optimize the magic effects. I didn't have performance issues on NG, but some of the NG+ boss variants are so cast happy that their spells turn into framerate attacks. The game deals with it by sending everything into slow motion, which is better than just straight drops but still fucks with my dodge timing. I wound up defeating ice girl by stacking so much water defense that she was trivialized, which is not a very satisfying way to win.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 15, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm ready to throw my controller at my screen. This is terrible.

It's really hard until you figure it out, then it's really trivial. First two stages are obvious. Third stage you need to kill each head in order going clockwise. You can stand behind the stone which blocks the next head, the rest will be blocked by the roof angle. Bait the head you are fighting into head slamming the stone. Doing so will knock it out, you can then kill it and it will also act as a shield until it dies. Just go in a circle doing that and you only have to worry about one head at a time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there any way to speed up item consumption, because that is the unsafest action I always blunder into doing at terrible times

Not standard items. There's an ability that lets you apply magic instantly with no animation though. Really useful, and a lot of items have magic equivalents.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 15, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ Often running is better. The ki usage for a dash and a run over the same difference is about the same and they both have upsides. Dash is obviously faster and has iframes, but a little tighter to time. So use it when you need to move urgently or when you need to pass through an attack, but run when you just don't want to be tracked.

The ki usage for a roll is actually higher than a run over the same difference, so it's really only preferable when you need the speed. I don't think its iframes extend longer than the dash.

Harrow posted:

So can you forge divine items in NG+?

Never not fight revenants when you're in a comfortable enough position to do so. They're a great way to gear up and the Glory you get is a currency you can use later.

Yeah there's a material called a divine shard that is used to raise the chance of crafting a divine weapon. I saw like ten of them in the whole of NG+, so they are quite rare. There's another more plentiful item you can use to raise the odds of divine drops though. Not sure how often it results in divine shards.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sleng Teng posted:

Do the title points or whatever you call them cap (other than running out of titles to get points from)? I've just been putting them in whatever (usually combat stats) but I'm wondering if I should be more strategic about it. They don't seem too important tho

You'll keep getting them until you run out of titles. They add up to pretty big bonuses over time. Just put them into whatever is relevant to combat. There's more than enough item find consumables if you're ever farming.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eezee posted:

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed in Muneshige after everyone here said how hard he was. A lifeseal talisman completely trivializes him and I beat him on my second try.

Also Iai quickdraw is the best skill. If you knock someone on the floor you have time for a fully charged quickdraw and a stab.

Well if you use talismans on bosses they are all going to disappoint you. Magic debuffs are absurdly OP.

Snak posted:

I guess to get the bio entry, you have to beat bosses 3 times in their main mission, not whatever side mission they are in...

I guess that's fair.

No, killing them in side missions counts. Except for ones that say "Defeat 'x mission' 3x." I got Onryoki, Hino-Enma, Nue, and Giant Toad by killing them in subsequent appearances.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Does one of the stats effect how quickly you proc status effects on enemies? Cause just started noticing that one light combo applies the status of my weapons built in effects, and since my first and secondary weapons have different ones I'm just running around throwing discord on everything with zero effort.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Belzac posted:

What about the DLC?

Do we know much about what it will entail? If it's From style where everything is new (new enemies, locations, bosses, weapons), I'm in. If it's gonna be the same enemies and weapons in a different map... it'll have to be a drat good map.

I also wonder if they'll eventually throw some higher level twilight missions into rotation. I didn't touch them until after NG+ was done because I don't care for co-op with strangers and I thought they'd give another level of solo challenge. Turns out they're just mid-game NG+ level missions... so not that hard at this point.

I think I'm pretty much out of stuff to do in the game, unless I want to trophy hunt (I don't).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I absolutely loathe the loot system. At the same time, I realize DS loot wouldn't work here, since it's both mission based and only has one deep moveset per weapon type.

Maybe if there was just one of each that you get early on and you just unlocked perks and raised damage like in a Platinum title. Anything to get rid of the inventory management.

At least the blacksmith stuff wound up being utterly ignorable. Although now it's pretty much the only thing standing between me and a plat...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Playing the actual campaign has been about 30 hours so far for me, with no rush at all, and I probably have about 10 left.

NG+ is a whole different thing though, and you could even argue that is the bigger part of the game.

It would be a poor argument. NG+ isn't that much different. The enemy placement is hardly changed past the first third.

But yeah, 40 hours for a first run, maybe another 10 to 15 to clean postgame and the notable NG+ stuff up. Similar to a Souls game. Also similar to a Souls game: if this is your first time in the genre it could take closer to 80 hours.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any tricks for the tongue yokai? I've pretty much got most of them down to a science (even the tengu, as long as it's alone) but that one just randomly wrecks me sometimes

iframe dodge behind them, don't get to comfortable because they have a few spin moves. The biggest thing to watch for on the dodge is the hitbox on their punches precedes their actual fist, so you should dodge in anticipation.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The amrita count changing colors is one of the many quality of life changes that I really hope From steals if they ever do another Soulslike.

Other big ones: Ranged weapon controls, and multiple inventory quick selects.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man I cannot for the life of me figure out where the final hot spring is. I swear I've been over every inch of every map.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Did you get the two that are connected to each other in the bath house? Also there's some super secret ones in later levels behind wall yokai IIRC.

It was the one behind the yokai wall in the last (non-epilogue) mission. Can't believe I missed it.

Kinda upset that the "collect all crafting materials" achievement requires waiting for Twilight Missions to rotate.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Welp, all the money I got from NG and NG+ only got me 52 of the 60 blacksmith requests. Wish I'd sold more gear instead of converting to amrita.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Two Q's: if I just did The Source of Evil, how close am I to the end (not counting the post credits mission)?

You've got another region after the current one.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

The oggress has some type of gimmick but I don't understand what is was supposed to be as it was so poorly designed she couldn't hit me

Yeah, it's a Souls boss where you hug the rear end for safe free hits, except she is 90% rear end.

Her gimmick is making flowers that fill the arena with yokai realm pools. But she successfully got to that stage a total of one time for me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

NG+'s enemy placement and aggression just feels like what NG should have been. And once it's over there's no way to proceed to more of a challenge unless you reduce your abilities and replay areas. In From's games you can keep expanding your character and the game continues to scale with your expanding toolset.

Where in Soulsborne I'll go through several NG+ cycles before being done with the campaign and moving on to pure invasions and duels, here I'm just kind of done after NG+. Though I guess there wouldn't be anything to expand to, since I learned all of the weapon classes and explored ninjitsu and magic during that time. And also I've already fought this small pool of enemies and retread these same environments too many times now.

The biggest killer for continued play is he unfairness in favor of the player that was mentioned. At this point I know a billion different ways to abuse the combat system, and I can't see how even DLC with new enemies could be very challenging as a result. Granted it took me most of NG+ to get to that point, so Nioh was still a very good and long experience... but it won't have the staying power for me that From games have for me.

As an aside, I'm diving into a run through Bloodborne now that Nioh is done and mmmmm this games combat still feels so slick.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Granted they don't do anything.

Also it's not that people don't understand it it's just really poorly written and directed.

It might not be your issue with it, and I followed fine, but several people have specifically stated in this thread that they can't understand the plot at all.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The game design details are exactly the list of improvements I'd have on my Nioh sequel wishlist. Early Three Kingdoms is a solid setting too. I'm extremely down for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They’ve put out demos for both Nioh games and SoP, so it seems safe to assume they will again. Just a question of how soon (please be very soon).