Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

At last year's NSW state election, the Greens took the north coast seat of Ballina off the Nationals. They stole the Melbourne seat of Prahran from the Liberals at the 2014 Victorian state election.

"Took"

"Stole"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

To me this actually looks like he's giving an evasive answer and that some branches may indeed choose to preference the Libs?

Although even if they were doing that surely it's in seats like Melbourne where the Libs don't have a snowball's chance anyway?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

How many people actually vote according to parties' how-to-vote cards? Do preferences really change much?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sportsbet: Coalition $1.37, Labor $3.05 - pretty sure that's narrowed from a month ago

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

As much as I would love to cheer on Bill. The only people who watch debates are those who have already made up their mind. The average voter is Gary the Ute Beaut who only pays attention to the newspaper while he's on his break at a BP or Burger King.

It deeply bothers me that our governments are decided by swinging voters in swinging seats, i.e. idiots who can't decide which basic political ideology they want to get behind and vote based entirely on personalities.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I got one from my local Labor MP - I think it's actually one of their responsibilities?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Proportional representation would go some of the way. I guess maybe this sounds arrogant from an urban voter's perspective - people out in the country see it differently - but the idea of a local representative standing up for Are Local'l Areaaaa is outdated. Even the fuckwit swinging voters who make up their mind on election day know that they're putting pen to paper to elect a government, not to pick a local representative for Donger Beach. So why bother with the charade?

When I lived in the UK and was working for BBC Parliament I was struck by how much MPs there will actually stick up for their electorates. They break ranks all the time, in both parties, and you'll constantly see backbench MPs levelling hard questions at the government even if they're from the same party. It's telling that Dorothy Dixer is an Australian term.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

So is Shorten sneakily wedging towards dropping penalty rates or are they just being polite in waiting for the independent review?

Considering it's the Labor Party I'd say they may end up following the (suspected) recommendation that Sunday penalty rates be dropped to match Saturday rates, and thus once again please nobody and piss off everybody.

Cleretic posted:

They care enough about it to not just pass it, and have quite clearly attempted to set things up to pretend to be progressive while not actually having to, god forbid, pass the thing with 70% public approval (they have opted instead to let the far-right wingnuts in their own party kneecap a fantastic LGBT service because they made up scary things about them). And it's not like the nominally left-wing party didn't have a term or two in recent years to do it themselves.

Yes, it's inevitable, and yes I'm going to be out at literally the gayest party I'll ever have a chance to go to when it happens. But we really shouldn't be behind America on this one, and we really shouldn't still be seeing positions like that rear end in a top hat's being given such major platforms.

I think there's a lot of older Australians who probably still have an attitude towards gay people that's something like "I don't mind what they get up to as long as it's behind CLOSED DOORS."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress a referendum, just pass the law. The idea of the majority of the population voting on it actually pisses me off - I mean, what would everybody's opinion be if 70% were against it?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

open24hours posted:

Government spending on stadia for professional sports is and always will be outrageous.

Why? It makes people happy. On the list of outrageous poo poo are tax dollars are spent on, sports funding and stadiums are pretty low down my list.

Starshark posted:

?

Why would they do that? I mean, don't backpackers mainly pick our fruit?

They can't vote so they're easy targets.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I for one welcome the continued use of the revolving door in the PM's office, it only brings closer the reign of Boy King Wyatt Roy.

Cartoon posted:

Apparently the building now considered most iconic (in Australia) is no longer the opera house but the War Memorial. :psyduck:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...sor-awards.html

Travel awards exist purely to drum up traffic for the website or publisher who "awards" them, and they can't just go over the same ground again because - case in point - that doesn't get media coverage. Which is why Lonely Planet keeps naming duds like Adelaide or Newcastle as ONE OF 2016'S ABSOLUTE HOTTEST MUST-SEE-BEFORE-YOU-DIE DESTINATIONS!!!

Anybody else from Perth remember a couple years ago when the New York Times travel section wrote a piece about Perth? Which then caused a massive stir of cultural cringey excitement, followed by a backlash, followed by a counter backlash etc. And you know the NYT writer just filed and forgot about it and moved onto the next puff piece about some lesser-known resort town in Spain or whatever.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Spot the amendment in Fairfax's story on di Natale:

quote:

And Senator Di Natale has paid three au pairs to help with his family as little as $150 a week after tax, or $3.75 an hour - based on a standard 40-hour week - as well as room and board worth $300 a week.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It is absolutely normal for au pairs to receive free food and board as part of living with the employing family, and I took it that the $300 was a figure Fairfax arrived at, separate from their other income.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

Undermining Labor’s seat count in its own right, it would set the Coalition up to win more seats than the ALP in the lower house on an ongoing basis, conferring the first right to form government in the event neither side wins a clear majority.

This could so easily backfire on the Libs. More like "first right to be told by the Greens they won't go into coalition with the Libs."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StudlyCaps posted:

So I'm a little confused, I thought that as long as neither party gets a majority in the lower house then they have to deal with the minor parties to form government so as long as the Greens never form government with the LNP then it didn't matter if they steal some ALP seats, as long as the Libs don't get them.

If that's true then are the ALP are just being pissy because people don't see them as the only left wing party in the village any more? Is that about right?

Even before the "debacle" (in the public's eyes) of the Gillard minority government, any major party is always going to be fundamentally uncomfortable about losing seats to a minor party, which compromises their ability to form government in their own right.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

on the other hand, the group which half the time runs our country is literally called the Coalition.

Yeah but that one's been around for nearly a hundred years. There's a difference between being part of a coalition stretching back to time immemorial, and being a party which has always been able to win government by itself suddenly watching its safe seats get captured.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't get the RDN hate. I don't really know much about him except that he seems to be a far more charismatic and likeable public figurehead for the Greens than Milne was.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I hope you tweeted that to him

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've had ABC on in the mornings a lot lately, which means endless loving press conferences, and I never thought I'd get to the point where I actually hate the Canberra press gallery more than the politicians. Sure, the pollies waffle and use their talking points, but you expect that of them. Whereas the journos have apparently confused asking hard questions with asking irrelevant questions about the sound and fury and personality scandals of political theatre. Shorten's in Darwin talking about his rangers program and some fuckwit journo's first question was "WHEN EXACTLY DID YOU DECIDE TO AXE THE SCHOOLKIDS BONUS AND WHY DIDN'T DAVID FEENEY KNOW?" Shut the gently caress up.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

But how much will the coming superbug plague cost the economy in lost productivity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wheezle posted:

Trustworthy?

Are Sunday penalty rates actually 200%? I'm in a different industry, and in Victoria, but I only get 175%.

• Locked thread