Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

One of the key differences with a refi is you don't have a second party with a fixed date on which you are required to close. [words]

Just not having that looming date makes the process less stressful, I feel.

Yes -- for our purchase we went with something where we knew things would be smooth, and with good service, and a good rate. Need to ensure a smooth closing. But if rates crater the next couple of months we could refi and at that point I'll just do whatever gets the 100% best deal because, screw it, there's no rush and I don't have to sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what are the absolutely essential things a homeowner needs that can be purchased from Home Depot? I'll be making a trip there soon and want to make as few trips as possible.

we're moving into a new house shortly; going from a renter to living in a place we own. yard, basement, garage, all that. getting lawn gear like a lawnmower, weed whacker, a wet/dry vac, a ladder, etc. other than some basic tools and normal cleaning supplies we own basically nothing required to maintain a place.

edit: hmm poo poo maybe I should ask this in DIY

pmchem fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 27, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just got a 50 gal elec tank installed for $1k

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

The trick is more salt.

:getin:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

and its sequel, Detective Sundae and the Unexpectedly Wet Wall

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Or better yet, in your driveway blocking in your car. Did you know Lowe's will deliver basically any amount of gravel to any driveway for $75?

no and that is awesome, I need gravel

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

whatever it is, it isn't your friend. maybe beetles?
https://www.abchomeandcommercial.com/blog/wood-boring-beetles/

get a pest inspection

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Bought a house and now need to worry about lawn care. Anyone have a recommendation for an electric lawnmower for a pretty small yard?

ego or ryobi from home depot

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Queen Victorian posted:

Water heater has lasted over twice as long as it’s supposed to, but I’m not replacing it until it is truly dead because my dad and I are in a contest to see whose 1990s water heater lasts longer.

Does the winner pay the loser's repair bill after all the water damage?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what'd you do about the water damage or mold in/above your living room ceiling?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hoo boy, I just came home from a week long vacation and my house smells incredibly musty. I hope it's just nose-blindness and that it has always been this way (and I can address the issue) and not related to my brand new roof & the recent heavy rains :negative:

That would suck if the roof is bad. Probably not the case, though, right? Good luck. I hate water.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

laxbro posted:

This is a great article thanks for sharing. What a nightmare.

yeah, geez. The article only mentions insurance once. Would a typical home insurance policy help most of those people?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

This kind of thinking makes me angry for some reason.

check out this very different way of thinking:
"Raze, rebuild, repeat: why Japan knocks down its houses after 30 years"
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/nov/16/japan-reusable-housing-revolution

"Unlike in other countries, Japanese homes gradually depreciate over time, becoming completely valueless within 20 or 30 years. When someone moves out of a home or dies, the house, unlike the land it sits on, has no resale value and is typically demolished."

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there anything that you guys would recommend pouring down a main kitchen sink disposal / drain on an annual (or monthly) basis in order to help it stay unclogged and fresh?

On the interwebs, you can find virtually any answer to this question: lemon peeks, vinegar / baking soda, drano, etc. I am skeptical. But it's also simple enough that I don't want to skip it if it's actually useful at all. I have never really put stuff down the kitchen sink with the intention of cleaning it.

What regular maintenance do you all do on your kitchen sink drain system?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah when I went through my refi rocket mortgage were the most pants-on-head dumb when I was quote shopping. I actually did end up going with better. They did a great job in my case and I was able to continually bargain them down like 4 times using other folks' quotes. Their website was the only one that wasn't complete dogshit too.

that was more or less my refi experience with better.com. initial offer wasn't great, they quickly bargained down multiple times after uploading competing LEs, and their website and phone support was good. they transferred my refi to their default servicer ("the money source" aka TMS), who promptly resold it a month later to a place that seems to have a good online interface and support. key part with better.com was just staying on top of them since the person in charge of most of the process was clearly dealing with like a bazillion other refis at the time, too.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmmxkrazee posted:

Ugh, was planning on refinancing last week and now's gonna cost $1,300 more since rates have gone up (3% w/ 1100 credit to now 3% w/ 200 in points). Did not realize there were such drastic changes over a weekend. Should've locked in on Friday goddamnit.

Also, when comparing two different rates / amortization schedules, is the best way to compare break-even points using a combination of the difference in interest payments and principal balance? Difference in monthly payments?

there are a lot of mortgage calculators online, Zillow's is pretty good: https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-calculator/
edit: direct link to their refi calculator https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-calculator/refinance-calculator/

if you're trying to figure out whether to lock rates, this site has good daily coverage of the mortgage (rate) market:
http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/channels/
http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/mortgage_rates/

pmchem fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 23, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

devmd01 posted:

They knocked it out in 4 hours.

this just makes me think of how at the place we previously rented, the water heater failed, and the landlords had it replaced. but the contractors left the old one just sitting nearby in the basement -- perhaps because the stairs were so hosed up they were afraid to remove it up the stairs (who knows).

so happy to be out of that place and lol @ the landlords having the most screwed up basement I've ever lived in

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Do any of you own a drone and use it to periodically check out your roof and/or gutters?

I'm considering buying one. Getting on the roof with a ladder really is not practical for us. What drone model would be good for this type of thing, or what other thread should I be asking? I'm not sure where the drone thread is on SA.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

I just climb on my roof but I want to build a tracked drone to crawl around my crawl space with a FPV setup and gopro for easy inspections. Would definitely beat having to get suited up to crawl on my belly for half an hour.

yeah. my roof/gutter question is more motivated by a desire for convenience than anything else.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

223k at 1.42% fixed for 30 years, what the gently caress is this rate

That’s so far below the 30-year US treasury bond yield, there are only a few options:

1. It’s not a US rate
2. It includes buying a ton of points for a near criminal expense
3. It’s a scam

Or it’s a typo or you left out some critical information and the thread is making bad assumptions about what the rate is actually about

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Dang nice. I am currently at 3.75%. Bankrate is advertising Better.com at 3% for me with no fees/points, but I would/will definitely shop around.

better.com will negotiate if you have an official Loan Estimate from another mortgage company on a refi.

I did this whole song and dance nearly a year ago. I went back and forth between better.com, lenderfi, and one other company with official LE's. I ended up getting almost all the fees and like 0.375% shaved off of better.com's first offer. 30-year fixed @ 2.5%. Amazing how these companies magically open up once they know you're a competitive customer.

So, yeah, shop around.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Your time, ability to resist murdering basically everyone involved, your phones resilience to your abuse.

this is accurate

I hope rates don't go lower simply because I never again want to feel like I should refi

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sundae posted:

I'm looking again at refinancing since my 3.5% is so hilariously high right now compared to current rates. Better has a 2.875% that costs me $358 in points (lol) plus the standard closing costs. However, there is one spot I have some concern: In their loan disclosure, they state that they absolutely will sell off the loan, and that they absolutely will not service the loan afterward. I'm currently with Rocket Mortgage, whose online loan service panel is actually pretty danged good and convenient to work with. Even though they sold the loan off pronto, they kept all the servicing in one spot and have been easy to work with about that.

Do I assume there's no real way for me to figure out who Better is going to sell my loan to, and therefore no way to tell whether I'm going to get some fucker who makes it as hard as possible to work with them? $200 per month cost reduction probably isn't worth the potential headaches of a bullshit servicer, especially when it's unlikely I'll live here in ten years.

correct. they will immediately dump the loan, most likely to The Money Source (their default servicer, they're associated with better.com somehow), who will then probably dump the loan off to someone else; possibly even fannie/freddie and it ends up in a MBS (not that it matters to you), and each will have a different web portal. I'd imagine this is the case for most of the online refi industry.

that said, it's TYOOL 2021 and odds are you're probably just gonna end up clicking through some web portal anyway?

we opted not to do escrow so as to not have the headache of dealing with that if they screwed up taxes or w/e. if you do the math it's basically a wash if you invest the difference anyway.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Student loans are a whole different portal system generally because of course they are. Even the worst mortgage portal I've been on was better than the best student loan one I saw.

students are poors who are financially dumb

at least some homeowners know how to handle finances and can afford lawyers if you gently caress up their debt service

the quality probably reflects that power differential

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

StormDrain posted:

The vast majority of people using student loan websites are not students.

ya ya, I know it drags on for years/decades. but it’s about their status when they begin using the site. and also partly a tongue in cheek joke on a dead comedy forum

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Not that I'm looking to sell, but I've been really curious about those home buying services from redfin and zillow. Do they spruce things up in an attempt to flip it higher?

yeah, reno and flip to whoever will buy it from their site. they actually prefer retail buyers because a lot of their revenue is from agent services, loan origination, etc. see page 16 of the Q2 letter here for mentions of renovation and a zillow offers gross profit breakdown on page 18: https://s24.q4cdn.com/723050407/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/Zillow-Q2%2721-Shareholder-Letter_Exhibit-99.3.pdf

their 10-Q is here if you want all the gory details:
https://s24.q4cdn.com/723050407/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/43b52a20-321a-402e-869b-be7d2754361e.pdf

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sirotan posted:

^^^thinking about it!! of course rates have gone up .1% since I locked mine in...

I spoke with a manager who told me that "well when we go to sell your mortgage to someone else, if they see you are in a disaster area and didn't get an appraisal, they might not be willing to buy your mortgage! We have to protect ourselves!" I was told it was essentially a post-close appraisal, that they'd expect the exterior and interior. I got an appraisal waiver for this refi, and I don't think (legally) they could charge me for a post-close appraisal, but I am waiting on this person to call me back and confirm that fact. Getting more irritated the longer I have to wait.

I expected some last minute shenanigans but nothing this dumb.

“Post-close”? So what happens if they see something they don’t like post close? Sounds like a terrible situation waiting to happen. Is that at all routine?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I mean, how many tools we talking here? a bunch of Craftsman stuff is "made in the USA" with "global materials" and under $100
example:
https://www.craftsman.com/products/storage-garage/tool-storage/tool-boxes/cmst26320--26-in-pro-toolbox

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Armauk posted:

From what I've found, their toolboxes are made either in China, Taiwan, and Mexico. Not what I'm looking for, unfortunately.

...did you click the link I provided? it very clearly states "made in the USA"

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

If you took exception to me saying you could chug distilled water, alright fine that's hyperbolic and you're weird if you like the taste. Home RO systems are fine and safe as a primary drinking source.

yeah, you guys are kind of talking past each other. There are different types of distillation and RO setups for various lab, home, or industrial use. If you're regularly drinking gallons of ultrapure water from a several-stage RO system or decent distillation system, it's completely unwise. Your original post implied you could do that without worry, which is what the other guy responded to. But if you're having a glass of home-RO with other food/drink, it should be fine (esp. w/ softener installed).

it's a different water story, but this reminds me of how earlier in the year a bunch of kids developed liver failure from drinking alkaline water:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/complaints-mount-after-5-kids-suffer-liver-failure-linked-to-alkaline-water/

just keep your water sources boring, folks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

clean out your dryer vent from connection to exterior?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

That's not how high efficiency driers work

https://www.lg.com/us/support/video-tutorials/maintenance-laundry-dryer-CT10000011-1428690638456

“Get your dryer ducts cleaned annual to help maximize your dryer's performance”

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nwin posted:

My dryer duct is completely clean and I have the same issues he mentioned with my new LG dryer. The moisture sensors and everything just kind of suck on the new units.

that's fair, but lol at the concept of high efficiency dryers somehow removing the need to clean dryer ducts

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

gp2k posted:

House Ownership: When in doubt, have a few beers and just pull really hard

current thread title is pretty good but I didn't follow the thermostat saga.

you guys want this? is it time for a change?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ooooooookay, I woke up to multiple reports about cop chat, let's move on.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Motronic posted:

Doorbell?

(Sorry for unloading my previous damage on the thread - I've made all of these mistakes before)

Home Ownership: I’ve made all of these mistakes before

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hey home owners,

the MARINE THREAD is ending its deployment to BFC at the end of the month:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908783

please drop by and tell them about life living outside of barracks before they go!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lots of people only have threads bookmarked, but this thread lives in BFC. GiP has a gimmick going with the Marine thread travelling across subforums and it is about to depart BFC. I was drawing attention to that so that Goons Can Have Fun.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

are we sure that’s not a midjourney generated output

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

:vince: