Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

best buy had a bosch 800 shipped within 2 days fwiw

Motronic posted:

I can highly recommend the benchmark series, but that's gonna be a few hundred more and probably just as unavailable if not more.

Hope someone else has some suggestions. Or it could be as simple as the (using technical terms here because I don't remember specifics) "big gasket" on the bottom of the tub on the GEs I've dealt with just needs replacing.........while you wait for your 800 series to come in.

i got an 800 because my GE kept leaking even after changing the big gasket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

If there aren't specific (used to be 0% financing) loans available for things like solar you're probably looking for a HELOC for all of it.

I get the whole "wanting to get things done", but I hope you understand you'll be paying a premium in interest (as rates are going up), materials and labor. We're nowhere close to out the other side of supply chain woes, housing shortages, and labor shortages.

All of my major projects are on hold indefinitely.

Is a HELOC the best way to go about a necessary repair that exceeds cash on hand? I've got a good savings and a 5 digit emergency fund, but roofs arent cheap. Talking theory here, but it does need doing at some point and the lawsuit is moving at the speed of paperwork.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

As mentioned, I got mine at best buy fairly easily.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

never ring doorbell

gently caress the police.

gonna roll my own surveillance with a NAS at some point and not point it at anyones property except my own.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

well, my homeowners finally made me an offer for my roof, just prior to actually collecting depositions. let's see what they'll do for me.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Inner Light posted:

How much have you paid in legal consultation fees so far? I'm curious how much it would cost (i.e. how many paid hours) to start the consultation process before actually serving any process if I need to take any legal action in my life, beyond small claims (assuming yours would not have been small claims).

Or maybe it would've been some sort of mediation / arbitration dealio and I'm off base.

Not a dime. This has all been on contingency, and part of the homeowners offer is that they're covering my legal fees.

for reference, the ins co's initial offer was $35000 to me, plus legal fees and independent adjuster's fees

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Typical arc:

:phone: *claim submitted for roof*

:whip: Ins Co: We sent out an adjuster who never got up on the roof but took amazing photos. That roof is all wear & tear damage. There's no wind or hail damage. (option 1: :whip: sends a denial letter. Proceed directly to court)

:phone: *submits his own roofer's report & estimate, with photos from the roof & a short video showing the potato-chip nature of the shingles* says right here that a bunch of shingles were damaged by wind/hail and that the roof won't pass a brittle test & thus needs to be completely replaced!

:whip: Hmmm. OK. Now that we actually sent out a roofer, you have 186-damaged shingles. Here's our estimate to replace them.

:phone: Uh, you missed the part where my roofer says that the shingles are too brittle to take being bent for such a repair. Also, he wants to know who the gently caress would replace 186-shingles.

:whip: well, our guy says it can be done. So gently caress off.

*appraisal ensues*

:whip: OK, we'll pay to replace the front slope, and use salvaged shingle* to repair the rear slope!

*litigation ensues*

* not really A Thing, but some companies will try it

are you me? we're now collecting depositions for the ongoing litigation and they're making offers to get me to go away, whereas i am making demands to go away.

you should have just replaced the roof. now you get to replace the roof and pay my lawyer and adjuster.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Well, if you have a public adjuster, they'll just take a percentage of your estimate as their fee.

(I am not a fan of PAs.)

Be sure you get the percentage in writing (unless you're in Delaware, in which case it's capped at 10%). I've seen fees as high as 60% (which is egregious, even for PAs, but hey, if there's no law against it & the insured doesn't read the contract...)

At least the lawyer will make a demand including some amount as a punishment for your insurer being such idiots, which should cover most of his contingency fee.

oh we are well past that, and yeah it was on his form.

like, i'm actively in litigation, hence vaguery.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

always be wasp spraying

these are not fuzzy *bonk* bumble *bonk* bees who have gotten lost

all you can do is hope the wasp decides not to add you to the list of things it wants to gently caress up today

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

if you try to start the a/c and you hear a whine from the outdoor unit it's probably the capacitor.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

This is perhaps a little much for yanking off a thermostat. :v:

Pull. Harder.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Switched homeowner's insurance to Swyfft to get away from my barebones policy that made me get new roof or a roof exclusion, told Swyfft I had an ancient asbestos tile roof and they wrote the policy no problem, did the inspection and decided they actually don't cover asbestos tile roofs and cancelled my policy :negative:

Having a real fun time trying to find someone who will insure one, despite there being a ton of asbestos tile roofs in my part of town.

i'd have told you never even to talk to swyfft

i finally got my roof check a year and a lawsuit later!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Nah, this is PO-grade basic toilet, just went ahead and got the one in home depot that says it can flush 7 pool balls. I'm taking that as a challenge.

the real challenge is eating the pool balls first.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I love when they try to talk you out of it by saying it'll cause 'delays'.

"not as much as the delay that's gonna be caused when we have to go to the hospital to remove my boot from your rear end"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The Dave posted:

Just have a single outlet with an integrated nightlight at the bottom of the stairs.

GoGoGadgetChris is protected at the bottom of the stairs.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

technology connections has a video about dishwashers

it is incredibly educational

and insanely boring

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

until yall paid a plumber to pull an at least two year old dildo out of your plumbing i dont wanna hear it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Upgrade posted:

Saarinen tulip chairs, get two with arm wrests for the ends

'and just for fun i will google the chair in qu-THIS PIECE OF poo poo COSTS TWENTY FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS?'

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

how did you post that with your power lines frozen

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

wait was i supposed to change my hard-wired dishwasher out for an outlet when i replaced it?

because i stripped the power cable, put a metal junction box back there with 3 wire nuts and some stress relief clamps and called it a day

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

That’s fine. I hard-wired the Bosch; they sell a kit for it, too.

yeah this was to replace the bosch kit that arced and melted. they are on my poo poo list.

SpartanIvy posted:

The modern preference is GFCI outlet but as long as it's on a GFCI protected circuit and there's a junction box you're to code I believe.

With the GFCI requirements, outlets are easier and simpler for installers and builders so that's why they do it that way now.

well, the nearest outlet is GFCI, so it's _probably_ fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i had arcing issues with my bosch box

just sayin

the plastic melted and it started tripping the breaker

so i stripped the cable and installed a metal junction box back there

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i am so in the weeds on this pipe saga

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Verman posted:

I was kind of hoping for a live stream?

i believe a stream is the opposite of his goal

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

explain this like i'm simple, what am i looking at here

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Struensee posted:

I do see a kindred spirit in Sisyphus

you must try to imagine spf3million happy

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

absolutely goddamn INCREDIBLE

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

devicenull posted:

This happened....

the tree returns home to spawn

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bobcats posted:

Are flame weeders worth a poo poo?

if you're asking us if you should buy a flamethrower i dont know what answer you think you're going to get besides YES

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

DangerousSmells posted:

Thanks for the feedback on my humidity issues. Looks like it was mostly a patience issue. I underestimated how much moisture the home can hang on to. My wife found a setting on the Ecobee that is meant to reduce humidity. I believe it overcools 2 degrees past your set point if the humidity is above a threshold you set. That has brought the humidity down quiet a bit so far. I also bought a portable dehumidifier to help things along.

yeah this happened when i moved into my new house, it had been unoccupied for 2 weeks and had a concerning amount of humidity that took a few days to get rid of

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i'm about to gofundme this problem just so i never have to hear about it again

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

aren't a lot of those dealer water filters pyramid schemes?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Baddog posted:

I lol'ed, but I've received a report notifying me that "photo might help" is only 4 syllables, and that you are breaking the sacred rules of haiku.

barely a haiku
it isn't about nature
it's a senyru

the 'rules' of haiku were generally just guidelines anyway

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 9, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i love my nest thermostat but if it told me the sky was blue i'd get 3 competing quotes

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mine came that way, presumably the PO had just been using it that way

double lol that the guy swore up and down that the washer dryer didn't convey with the house, and there they were when i got there

turns out they're hard to move, huh pal? Anyway that was 4 years ago and i'm gonna get nice front loaders when one dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

well i hole'd my way into this mess, and i'll hole my way out