Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought 30 led light bulbs. This only covers my vanity lighting in the bathrooms. It is the last of the CFLs remaining in the house though

If anyone is looking for good led bulbs Walmart has the basic 60w for sub $3, top rated on the wirecutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also why the gently caress is it so hard to get a contractor to call you back to get an estimate? I've worked with you before and want to give you thousands of dollars, just give me a date and a number!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Droo posted:

The economy and especially housing is back to booming for now. Don't worry, those same contractors will be falling all over themselves to kiss your rear end in 3 years when the economy takes an inevitable turn downwards.

This may be the case. I'm having trouble with a concrete guy who did some work for my house back in 2011. dude was on it the same day no problem. Now it's pulling teeth trying to get him out to do a $3k job.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Getting a bunch of work done around the house:

Called guy about getting a new side gate: Came out hour early, great bid price, lots of photos of previous work, signed contract on the spot.
Home Depot installing a new wall oven we got a great deal on: Guy came out and took measurements. Was unsure if it could be installed or not. Said he'd call on Friday, Monday at latest to setup install time. No call back.
Lowes installing a new custom order door: Came out and took measurements on Thursday. Said they'll call with pricing by the end of the day. No call back.
Called concrete company who did work for us 3 years ago. Called Monday, Wednesday, Thursday trying to get an estimate. No call back.

JFC let me give you guys money!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

A proper home has an outdoor space with a roof that includes a wet kitchen area to prep your grilling meats. It also has a big rear end TV so you can watch football.

TVs go inside.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Can you grill under a covered patio? I thought it would leave unsightly char marks on the ceiling.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I got a propane tank grill under one of those aluminum wood-look patio covers but it's only about 10 feet up. I move it close to the edge when grilling.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

What is that image trying to convey besides the fact that zestimates are worthless? I just sold a place for $40K over the zestimate and the graph looked like the inverse of that one. So what? Zillow is not good at valuing real estate.

My house is listed twice on Zillow for some reason with a $47,000 price difference between the two, identical listings.

My appraisial for my refi last month was neither of those numbers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just put a goldfish down last month and I'm glad that I ended up doing it humanely :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nocheez posted:

walk-in crawlspace

Wouldn't it just be a "walkspace" then?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Might I suggest having e.coli located no where in the house?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cheesus posted:

Oddly enough, I just saw a segment of This Old House showing installation of one. Given how hard it is to cool down my second floor, it sounds like a perfect solution.

Any gotchas to look out for?

Do they have any value for cold months?

I installed one of these guys

http://www.homeproductsinc.com/store/p/2625-AirVent-36-Wholehouse-Attic-Fan-Model-WH362BDX.aspx

Took me about 2 days to cut the hole and wire it up. Works wonders in the early and later summer when it's 90+ during the day but <75 in the afternoon. Doesn't get much use during July/August but that's what the AC and solar are for.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

moana posted:

lol, I'm an idiot. Started to do the demo work on our old rotting deck last week... and then realized that as part of the refinancing, I'm going to have to have an appraiser come out and look at the house. Spent the rest of this morning hastily reconstructing a deck railing out of rotted boards for what remains of the deck to hopefully be up to code enough to pass the appraisal. :doh:

:laffo:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It was 112 at my house yesterday and my dumb rear end had to rent a sod cutter and tear up a chunk of my lawn for a new planter because I forgot the concrete contractor was coming by this week to lay a mow curb and he charges extra to rip up the grass.

On the plus side I've rented tools from home depot so much now that I'm on their premier club and only have to pay $1 deposit. :geno:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Anyone want to school me in drip systems?

What do you want to know? I have a drip line for my planters in my years.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

americanzero4128 posted:

Our washing machine died and we need a new one. What do you homeowners recommend? We don't want to spend more than $500 on one. All the ones I've own in the past have had agitators in the middle, and it's getting harder and harder to find ones with that. A lot of them are high efficiency which from what I've read online means uses less water, and reviews say that their clothes aren't getting as clean because of that. We don't want to buy the wrong washing machine, so I'm looking for opinions here.

http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-washer-and-dryer/

You'll find agitators on the crappiest low end washers now. Everything is going HE, any modern HE washer will clean just fine.

LG and Samsung seem to be best bang for the buck right now on the low and mid range.

Also check out best buy and home improvement stores for unused floor model deals. We got our set from best buy during a model changeover for a couple hundred off each.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They ran conduit under the slab right? RIGHT?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

You don't want to go to the panel unless you have GFCI breakers (which it doesn't sound like you are talking about)

You want to push in the test button on your GFCI outlet. That will cut the power to any downstream outlets. The below image shows how your setup should be. GFCIs are expensive so lots of budget builders will put 1 in say a laundry room and then just put a normal outlet downstream in a bathroom.

My kitchen outlets are tied off from my bathroom GFCI upstairs. That took me a week to figure out why my outlets weren't working anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lol if you're paying a contractor by the hour.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I just crawled through my 3' attic to run two ethernet drops before I blow in insulation and fill the whole cavity with sweet money saving insulation.

I ran one for a security camera i plan to mount on my roof for visibility of my driveway and I just exited out of the gable vent. Is the ideal solution to drill an exit hole for it? My main concern is making sure it's high up enough that someone can't easily cut it.

Depends on the camera. Most dome cameras will have rom inside to bundle cable so you mount them right on top of the home and have no wires visible.

I ended up mounting all my bullet and some cams onto junction boxes anyways, just makes it easier to deal with. They make boxes that fit perfectly under some common cameras too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Ooh junction box mounting is a good idea... Then I could run the cable through some conduit and keep it protected all the way to the camera.

I'll move over to the home security thread for camera model choices.

Here's how mine looked after I painted the conduit to match.

It's just 1/2 electrical PVC but it works well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're a bitch to do right and the flecks will never ever be perfectly spaced and you'll be looking at that clump in the corner for the rest of your life.

If you're cool with that then they're pretty sweet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spirit is supposed to be the best bang for your buck

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-gas-grill/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

willie_dee posted:

In the UK I think homes are built far better, most come with a 10 year NHBC housing warranty. I have lived in my current place for 7 years and have only ever had to replace my poo poo electric shower and some other white goods that broke over time. Buy cheap buy twice etc.

Oh cool, didn't know the U.K. had homes with no electrical, plumbing, fixtures, heating/cooling, appliances, roofing, landscaping, paint or anything else that ever needed repair.

Homes in the US aren't "built worse", there are general maintenance things all houses need.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Everyone and their mother seems to think it's OK to drive on my lawn so the grass on the edge of it is totally torn up and replaced with tire tracks. The last straw for my wife was we came home yesterday and some woman was in a smoking, disabled car in our lawn because she decided to use our lawn to make a U-turn (why she did not choose to use our empty driveway I cannot fathom) and got stuck and had to be towed. Does anyone have any ideas for discouraging this short of building a full-fledged fence? I'm a bit sensitive to big outlays given that I just bought the house a few months ago and also my car was just totaled. I was thinking maybe some reflectors might help.

You can get a 4ft tall metal fence post for about $3.50

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-x-4-ft-Green-Steel-Fence-U-Post-901154EB/205960882

A few of those and either some high-viz string along them or plastic roll fencing wouldn't cost too much.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 2, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PitViper posted:

Maybe not the correct thread, but maybe someone has had a similar situation. Our neighbor has been having issues with property damage (dents on cars mostly to this point, but this morning his garage door was dented pretty badly on one side). It looks like someone smashed his garage door with one of the garage cans or something. He's pretty sure it's his neighbor to the other side, but nobody has been able to catch him in the act, we only know that it tends to happen when said neighbor is out in his garage.

Any recommendations for inexpensive security cameras? Doesn't need to be highest quality, or keep recordings/images for more than 48-72 hours looped. The least noticeable, the better. I'm concerned that eventually the phantom damager will get extra bored and move down to my house, so it's really for the both of us that I'm asking. Self contained would be preferable, though I'd be fine with something wifi or even PoE.

If you want a wholy contained unit, maybe look at getting a game camera. They're made to take pictures of deer but lots of people use them in sensitive areas for vandals. Battery powered, triggered by motion and record to an sd card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LRZ625S/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Sick of home warranty never fixing anything - dishwasher is running terribly yet again. Replacement brand recommendations? Currently have a 15 year old KitchenAid.

Bosch is the gold standard if you can swing the cost. Not terribly expensive, but more than the competition.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-dishwasher/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Welp, had a nice dark street until the neighbors next door moved in an now keep their bright porch lights on blazing all night. Probably should introduce myself anyway before anonymously leaving light pollution flyers in their mailbox daily.

What's the advantage of a dark street? I'm guessing you don't have street lights?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The guy wasn't asking about solar shingles, just a traditional system.

The solar shingles are a loving gimmick and they were done a decade ago and no one wanted them then. Don't even bother entertaining the idea of those dumb loving things.

If you're looking at regular solar panels the cost/savings will be highly dependent on your area, state and utility. I got solar panels about 4 years ago and it brought my $600 summer electric bills down to an average of $150

Just get a few quotes from different providers. I got quotes from 4 or 5 different companies, SolarCoty was the second most expensive. We ended up going with SunRun but again, it will depend on who's in your area and the rebates/NEM rates offered.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 8, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I did a leasing agreement on my panels but I was able to find only a single company that had 1) no money down, 2) no increased payment over the life of the lease and 3) a fair buyout price at the end of the lease if I wanted to (couple hundred bucks). It helps that I'm in a generous state that forces the electric companies to buy power back at market rates.

It would have been cheaper to buy the system outright over the 20-year term, but I wouldn't have been able to get solar in the first place were my options to pay for the 33 panels up front. I basically signed a contract and started saving money from day one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

devmd01 posted:

I really wanna know how the gently caress ants are on the counter by the stove (which is practically in the middle of the house) without any clear trails leading outside. Time to do the spring spraying outside and in the crawl space! Already hosed down the kitchen perimeter and they’re still showing up, wtf.

I’ve had good success with the Ortho home defense spray, any others out there worth trying?

I bought this death chemical Bifen I/T which was recommended to me by a exterminator and it worked great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4Y286O/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

Why are gold hardware/accents in style again? Didn't we just spend 30 years eradicating them?

...and did I just answer my own question?

I haven’t seen gold anything so you’ll have to tell me where in your part of the world you see it’s back in style again because it sure as poo poo ain’t here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I go to my fair share of brand new home models and luckily that hasn't caught on in new builds.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apparently Speedqueen made some changes to their 2018 models that, according to some industry guys, help them perform better on tests vs. front loaders but actually clean the clothes worse than previous models.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is devastating news.

Looking at a follow up since then it looks like they have 3 tiers, a consumer line and two commercial lines. The consumer line changed their agitation mechanics to be quieter and gentler on clothes but has the side of affect of not being as effective at cleaning heavily soiled clothes. The commercial lines are still available and are unchanged.

Either way the quality of the product seems to be the same so it’s not all bad news.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, you mean a fully mechanical unit? No humidity sensor in the dryer or anything?

Digital is fine, you have to go out of your way to avoid a digital gauge now, they’re just easier to make.

I had the digital panel on my dryer fail but it was like a $20 part from eBay and about 6 screws, wasn’t a big deal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dustoph posted:

Any recommendations on lawn mowers? First time having a lawn so looking for longevity and ease of use. Just grab whatever Honda and be done with it? I'm guessing around 5,000 sq ft of grass.

Depends on you price range. Honda is the gold standard, Toro is decent for the cheaper stuff. I think Ego is good if you want electric. If you're looking at riding then I have no idea.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lawnmower/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Struensee posted:

I tried some wallpaper removal solution which kinda works OK, but I'm much more fond of the steamer I borrowed.

This is a couple of hours of work with a steamer and a wallpaper stripper (basically a half metre stick with a boxcutter blade at the end).

I really don't know if this is decent progress or just a terrible waste of time.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles > Homeownership: I really don't know if this is decent progress or just a terrible waste of time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It was 120 degrees at my house yesterday and the power went out across the city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qskAJeuo2Y

When it came back up one of my A/C units no longer works. I have to sleep downstairs on the couch until I can get the parts in a few days. Hopefully it's the $20 part and not something worse.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Home Depot sells this house attachment that uses three ball bearings and a rubber gasket to make a fine jet stream similar to a pressure washer but not nearly as powerful. I find it creates enough pressure to clean off my composite deck (not Trextm) without harming it.

The attachment is like six bucks. Well worth it as an upgrade over the previous generic brass nozzle I was using.

This guy? Looks pretty cool
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Big-Shot-Super-Nozzle-LBSR-1/202514529