Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but one of X-Men: Apocalypse's producers has said that the next X movie after this one still won't be in the present day but instead be set in the 90s.

I would be kind of interested in an X-Men movie that was modeled after Saved by the Bell.

Professor X is Mr. Belding, Cyclops is Zack, Jean Grey is Kelly, Wolverine is Slater, Storm is Jessie, Gambit is Screech, and Rogue is Lisa.

Wait no that's actually gonna be too close to the horrible cartoon where they all actually were high school kids poo poo nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that the power to steal powers is a dumb power to have, cause it makes the hero either "literally everyone else, but better" or "a literal lovely copy of everybody else".

Being the latter was kinda what made Rogue interesting though. It's not about her being able to copy superpowers, but about her hurting anyone she touches and she can't control it, and her best-case scenario is to choose to be a weapon rather than have others exploit her as one. But you can't really get that out of a 2-hour movie with a dozen other characters and Wolverine is sucking up all the attention from everyone anyway. And then sucking up even more attention in the later movies. All Wolverine, All the Time.

That's why I would be way more into the X-Men as a live-action TV series instead of movies. More room to explore characters and plotlines instead of having to cram it all down into cliffnotes for every movie. It certainly doesn't help that the movies really feel like they're spinning their wheels instead of actually having growth and progression. Just setpieces and bastardizations of major comic storylines where someone said "Hey wouldn't it be cool if we did this thing for a movie?"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Madkal posted:

The X-Men cartoons have badly dated, but so has the first X-Men movie honestly.

Wolverine & the X-Men is still great and I'm still sad we didn't get that second season. :(

The first X-Men movie's plot is still pretty solid, but the actual movie as a whole, I agree, does not hold up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Karl Urban joins Mads Mikkelsen on my list of "people who should definitely be in Marvel movies, are cast in Marvel movies, but as the wrong characters and will now never get the parts they should have gotten."

(Ghost Rider and Doom, in cast it wasn't already super-obvious.)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The concept of Venom is interesting and there's some really neat things you can do with Venom in a Spider-Man movie.

They have chosen to do none of those things.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Norman Osborn has been in one Spider-Man movie.

He was in three of them, wasn't he?

He was in the first one, his ghost was in the second one, and then in Amazing Spider-Man 2 to show Harry how he's going to die from Plot Device Disease.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

I really hope it does good (although I'm not gonna support it because jared Leto is a gross garbage person), but I'm already kinda nervous due to the fact that the movie desperately went into reshoots when the trailer got such a positive reaction that we're gonna end up with some shambling atonal mess of a film that feels less than the sum of its parts in exactly the same way BvS was.

According to one of the actors, all the reshoots were for more action scenes, which actually sounds way worse than if they were just trying to make the movie funnier. :/

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

Cap is also hiding the fact that Bucky killed Tony's parents from him.

No he's not. Tony thought his parents died in an accident. Cap knew they were murdered. He didn't know Bucky was the one who murdered them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

So, X-Men Apocalypse had an incredibly bad opening Friday, with 26 million in ticket sales (this counts an 8.2 million Thursday night, so it didn't even break 20 million on Friday in actuality). For comparison, DOFP had a 35 million Friday leading in to a 110 million dollar four-day weekend. Apocalypse might not even break 80 million in its opening weekend at this rate, which'll be disastrous for its domestic totals.

Looks like reviews really did affect ticket sales, since Alice 2 had a very very very weak opening Friday as well (and thus it wasn't like Apocalypse's opening was blunted by Alice 2's).

That'll still be enough to put it at #1 after the weekend, and it's nowhere near as catastrophic as Fantastic Four was, so it'll probably be considered a win.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think they ever say her name either so if you didn't know who the character was you'd think she was just some random student.

So just like her previous appearances in the X-Men movies.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Angela Bassett or nothing.

Samira Wiley if you wanna cast younger.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Probably Magic posted:

Between Chris Evans and Brie Larson, pencil in Michael Cera for a future Marvel role.

He'd be a pretty good Grim Reaper.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Quesada says Marvel owns the movie rights to Namor

You sons of bitches better make a goddamn Namor movie..

Good to confirm they finally got the rights back at some point. Universal had the rights decades ago, but nothing ever came from it except very early plans to have The Rock play him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, here's an idea that I've had. On the off chance that Marvel is able to get the movie rights to the FF back within the next five years, they should do something novel by casting an actual married couple as Reed and Sue and making the characters a bit older. And it seems to me that, if they did this, the perfect choice for Reed and Sue would be Laurence Fishburne and Gina Torres. I think that would be pretty fun.

For a while, I had been thinking about Freddie Prinze Jr and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

There are multiple scenes where he is present during a pym particle experiment

I think people are under the impression that you need to eat Pym Particles or something instead of it being like a radiation exposure thing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rasczak posted:

Hahaha I just did a GIS for 2015 Freddie Prinze Jr and he has Reed Richards hair now, amazing

You think I just pick my casting choices out of my rear end, son?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zack Snyder's gritty Yellow M&M reboot.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rasczak posted:

Simmons is hilariously yoked out and all but rock something heavier than 20s in the pic :cmon:

I think they're 40lbs actually.

Someone photoshop the Yellow M&M with ridiculous muscles, please.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

Dumbbells usually list the total weight on each side. I'm guessing he's doing a ton of reps or drop sets.

They looked adjustable, like you could add or remove weight so each weight would list how much each individual one was. I admit I don't know too much about not being a fat piece of poo poo though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

No but see he just undressed her and took naked pictures of her. Barbara said so in Oracle so yeah no raping happened there please go see Suicide Squad starring Jared Leto as the Joker. No rapes. Isn't Joker a funny whacky guy now we have three of him, also as I aforementioned Joker didn't rape Batgirl. Thank you, rape is bad, Joker rules, he has not committed any sexual assaults ever.

Rape is never funny, unless you're being raped by a clown.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rape Guy is the second-worst superhero.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
He's going to play himself in a recreation of the parade scene from Spider-Man 1. He'll be replacing Macy Gray.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chill Penguin posted:

You're all wrong, War Machine has just been re-cast again.

Nah, I don't think Don Cheadle is a woman-beating crazy man like Terrance Howard is, so he's probably safe in the role for a while.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's just a prank, bro.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Queens is the most ethnically diverse area in NYC, therefore the most ethnically diverse place in America, therefore the most ethnically diverse place on the planet.

Incorrect. The most ethnically diverse area in America is actually Anchorage, Alaska.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

qntm posted:

Plus, he's just some guy Captain America met while out running one day! It's pretty ace.

That's why I don't understand the "Give Cap a Boyfriend" hashtag; He already has two.

Maybe they want him to choose one? Or be strictly homosexual instead of being bisexual/pansexual/asexual. Movie Cap is pretty progressive when you think about it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

You know, the Batman/Flash scene really bothered me and I couldn't put words to it until someone said "You know, the Flash is really Peter Parker" and suddenly it made sense to me.

That whole scene felt like Batman was coming to recruit Peter Parker and reminded me of Tony showing up in Peter's house in Civil War.

The whole trailer in general felt to me like someone said "Man, people want our movies to be less dark and more fun? I know, we'll turn Batman into Tony Stark! People like that guy, right?"

Which could be good? I mean making a movie actually fun and enjoyable isn't a bad idea at all, but it'd be kinda nice if they did it in a way that felt a little more unique.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 24, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Still so psyched for this. Every new trailer is better than the last.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Appears to be official that Vulture is the villain in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Zendaya Coleman is playing Liz Allan.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 24, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

So I completely missed the part about Elizabeth Debicki playing Ayesha in Guardians 2. That's a real out there move. That leaves wondering even more if we're going to see Adam Warlock in some way. Maybe that'll be the stinger.

Rob Lowe for Adam Warlock.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Die Laughing posted:

They did. Besides the Nolan movies, the Arkham games were the biggest Batman media in the 21st century, and Harley was front and center.

Yeah, but is it that the Arkham games were really popular that re-invigorated and boosted Harley's popularity, or was it that she was in a more provocative costume that did it? The article seems to suggest the latter, which I'm also pretty skeptical of.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wanted Suicide Squad to be good, but after hearing about the reshoots and Leto's antics, I was getting really worried about what kind of movie this was going to end up being. Sucks that it's looking to be another DC movie with a weird tone that I'm going to shy away from. :(

I wonder if DC's plan is, instead of directly competing with Marvel, to just make bad films that speed up the bubble bursting and torpedoing Marvel's film business.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

There's a lot of people ITT that are like "Oh no, this sucks. I'm still gonna see it though".

Like you realize you don't have to go see it? I know we're comic nerds and we feel like we have to be aware of comic nerd stuff, often to our detriment, but really, you don't have to go see it. I went and saw BvS because I felt like I had to form an opinion on it, because I'm real into Batman. I wish I hadn't! I'm not going to go see movies that I think will be terrible anymore.

If we don't see the movie, people will tell us we have no right to criticize the movie. We must support bad movies so that we can legally say they are bad. Or something.

(I'm probably gonna see it on Netflix or something. I still haven't seen Man or Steel or BvS)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
YMS did a quickie review and included a few clips of the movie I hadn't seen before. If I had, I probably wouldn't have been as hopeful for this movie before the reviews came out. Yikes.

I didn't even know Harley was going to keep her accent; It never came across for me in the trailers, but in the clips, it's really broad and seems very forced. How consistent is it in the movie and how bad is it? It's like a lovely version of her Wolf of Wall Street accent.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

In addition to the MCU and DCCU, we have:

-Universal monsters shared universe
-Kaiju shared universe
-Transformers/GI Joe
-Hanna Barbara (I don't believe this will happen)

What am I missing

The Tommy Westphall shared universe.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I am so hyped to see Valk in Thor 3. I still wish Enchantress was in it with Executioner, but thanks Suicide Squad.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/18/zendayas-spider-man-role-could-break-the-internet

So according to this Zendayas's role in Homecomming is Mary Jane Watson. I cannot imagine a reason to be upset at that news other than being racist as gently caress.

I thought she was already confirmed to be Liz Allen?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dacap posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/769927705651392513

Here's Taika Waititi's short from SDCC showing what Thor was doing during Civil War

Next stop: Squirrel Girl movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

He didn't quip, the most important Spidey trait!

Uhhh he had the best quips?

https://youtu.be/yeAU1WmZHX0

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

site posted:

Does brandon routh play alt superman or the atom

He plays Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

Agreed, somebody make a Jubilee solo movie please.

Are vampire movies still popular though?

• Locked thread