Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My friend group (we play multiplayer, fairly casual) is pretty disappointed with zombies mode. It's way too swingy. Zombies are supposed to spawn from dead units but it seems inconsistent, and also seems like they spawn completely at random where there hasn't been combat. It can randomly gently caress you pretty hard in the early game.

Calico Heart posted:

Zombie strength increases with every zombie beaten globally. This means they are, throughout the game, always kinda tough - especially as they appear in hoards.

This hasn't been my group's experience at all. Their impact seems to drop off completely somewhere around medieval or renaissance, and they're never a threat again - they'll literally spawn, suicide themselves against our cities, and disappear, without us even seeing them (although occasionally they'll plunder a trade route along the way). In one game, we even had a Gorgo player intentionally farming them, but the extra mutation bonus never got big enough for them to do anything, even during big wars.

Calico Heart posted:

they severely slow down everyone’s progress towards every victory

This also is completely contrary to my group's experience. They'll turbo-gently caress one or two players in the ancient/classical age, preventing them from getting off the ground in the most crucial part of the game, while another one or two players get off scot free. Last game we played, one player had a huge horde suddenly spawn behind their defenses and raze a city, the other two players fought one zombie total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SaturdayKnight posted:

My favorite thing that consistently happens is every civ congratulating you on your tremendously powerful navy after you build one galley because that’s all they’ve built too.

Similar to this, my playgroup's injoke is "you too possess the wisdom of Solomon" which Suleiman will constantly tell you if your civ isn't unhappy. The way this game's ai handles their "agendas" is dumb as hell most of the time. For example: make 1 gold per turn more than Mansa Musa: he love you. Make 1 gold per turn less than Mansa Musa: he angery! Meanwhile, whether or not you're resisting his attempts at victory, trading with him, settling in places he could've profitably settled, have a military that he could easily conquer or could easily conquer him, etc. doesn't seem to matter at all.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Heer98 posted:

Is there something wrong with the forest fire mechanic? I'm playing the TSL earth huge map and the Amazon has had Forrest fires burning for the entire game. All the jungle tiles have been fertilized so much that they're like, 15 food\hammers each and it's a little ridiculous.

Yes, the mechanic is broken in maps with large forests.

It takes six turns for a woods/rainforest tile to burn and regrow. On turns 2 and 3, it can spread to adjacent woods/rainforest. If a forest is sufficiently big, and there are many "loops" of length 5+ that can be drawn through woods/rainforest tiles, then chances become good that fire will spread one way but not the other (just by chance), and continue spreading around until re-igniting the original tile. This can continue indefinitely, but since it's reliant on random chance, it won't actually last forever. But for a large enough forest, it can easily go for many, many iterations. IDK whether disaster level affects the spread chance (although obviously it affects the chances of starting in the first place), but from some googling it seems like probably not - this happens both on regular disaster level and on high disaster level.

There is a practical limit to the spread, though, because (IME anyway) the game will crash if too many tiles have forest fires at the same time (globally, not just visible). It seems to me that it might be exacerbated by multiplayer, but idk for sure.

Forest fires cause population loss even if there are no citizens in the tile that's burning, and every tile that ignites within a city's borders causes one population loss. The only way to stop yourself from endlessly dying to forest fires, if your city is in a big forest, is to clear-cut it (assuming that your builders don't catch fire and die).

I once created a Huge custom map (based on Middle-Earth), and it had a really big forest (Mirkwood), and I had to edit it by deleting a line of woods across the center to stop forest fires from spreading too far and crashing the game. The result was two forests that had tiles that burned 5+ times in an online-speed game. At regular speed they could've easily gotten to the double-digit food/production. The AI that was in the forest, meanwhile, was completely crippled, despite having crazy good tile yields. My advice is: don't start in a huge forest, and when you do find one with good yields and plop a city there in the mid-late game, buy out its borders and cut down a ring of firebreak around the edge. This is only really relevant for Earth and other fixed maps, as the random mapgen doesn't really create forests big enough.

Also, forest fires are the only natural disaster that gives bonus yields when created by a soothsayer in Apocalypse Mode. That's not relevant to this discussion but I do think it is weird.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The era score mechanic is pretty janky and weird. If, within the last few turns before the next age change, you get some +x extra era score:
  • if +x didn't change what kind of era you're getting, that's kinda bad, because you could've maybe gotten that era score in the next age, and there's no carry-over because it just increases the thresholds for next age by x.
  • if +x changed you from dark to normal, that's quite bad, because dark ages have no downsides compared to normal besides a small loyalty malus (but loyalty is absurdly easy to keep up most of the time) and have two major upsides (dark age policies and the possibility of heroic ageing).
  • if +x changed you from normal to golden, that's good, because you get a big bonus
So a lot of the time you kinda don't want to get era score. Which is pretty dumb! You either want exactly enough to golden age, or you want none at all to dark age. Of course, most sources of era score are kinda unavoidable anyway, making all of this kind of moot anyway. It really feels like a half-baked mechanic.

Dramatic Ages mode sort of fixes this, in that it gives a pretty hefty penalty to dark ageing (your lowest-loyalty city rebels automatically), but it's also extremely gameable and I pretty much always get golden ages 100% of the time. It's a pretty obvious and not very successful attempt to put a band-aid over the era score mechanic.

As far as general advice for era score: Most of the era score you'll get will come naturally from doing good things that you want to do anyway, like building not-lovely districts, growing your cities, etc. So most of the time you can just ignore era score, it will flow in naturally from just doin' things that don't suck. Then, each age, a few turns before changeover, try to figure out if you can/will golden age, based on what you've got and what you're building at that moment. If you need a few extra points, there are a few things you can do to rush it along, like build a civ-specific unit, spend a strategic resource for the first time, buy great people, form first corps/army/armada/fleet, recruit/recall hero in Heroes mode, etc.

The only other bonus that I bother paying attention to is doing the first/not first circumnavigation for 5/3 points, which I sometimes try to hold off on doing if I don't need the points yet (do keep in mind that it counts if you have a revealed tile somewhere on every column of hexes, even if your east exploration and west exploration paths don't touch).

Also, if it's Dramatic Ages and you're going to dark age, pull your garrison out of your smallest city and start marching troops to near its border so that you can retake it quickly.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Floodplains, I think? Check the allowed tiles in the Civolopedia; if it lists "Plains" but not "Plains Floodplains," then that's why.

Despite the fact that floodplains are generally referred to as a "feature" like woods and rainforest, they're actually a completely separate kind of tile as far as game mechanics are concerned.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I like vamps for domination (obvious) or science victory (for the extra production in a single city). Owls are great for cultural or diplomatic victory. Voidsingers is great for science or culture victory if you've got a ton of faith generation, and obviously is the go-to choice for religious victory. Hermetic are good for mostly science or culture, but only if you've got leylines in good spots, which means they're a big ol' crapshoot, so I never take them. You can sort of hedge bets though - leylines can't be on floodplains, features (aka woods/rainforest), or resources, so you can at least look and see how much potential you have for leylines; they tend to be in the tundra and desert more than other places because of this.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

resting bort face posted:

I just played as Basil II for the first time, and the burst of religious pressure every time you kill a unit is outrageously satisfying. Also, mashing half a dozen horsies into city after city. Might be my new favorite civ.

Weirdly, I never unlocked the sanguine pact. It should unlock after clearing a barb camp, right? I cleared several but it never triggered. Unlocked the other 3 cults just fine.

It's a random chance, and you just got some bad rolls. I don't know what the chance is but I'd guess somewhere around 50%.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

What is the zombie mode? The tool tip in the game setup gives not enough info. Does it just mean zombies will appear every once and a while with a plague of them happening once and a while or is it something else?

Zombies appear periodically at random. Zombies also appear in places where units have died. They get stronger based on how many zombies have died in the game so far. You can build zombie defenses, but it's pointless 'cause the zombies will generally spawn inside of them. Zombies attack on the turn they've spawned so your civilian units are never safe. There's a new spy mission to make zombies spawn in enemy cities. There are a couple new city projects to repel/control zombies (that you'll never use because the zombies don't survive long enough). That's about it.

In my experience, after the very early game, zombies are a weird inconsequential nuisance who suicide against your units/cities. In the early game it's a big crapshoot. By the time you get to the midgame, one or two AI civs will probably have been completely hosed over. Basically, the mode adds even more swinginess. Also, it's loving zombies. Wouldn't recommend.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

My favorites:

Kupe: build coastal cities with hella fishing boats, bigass cities yay
Mansa Musa: get desert holy site adjacency, work ethic, put a suguba next to it, be rich as hell
Pachacuti: huge terrace farm bonuses, bigass cities, unfortunately requires a lot of resetting because he does nothing without hills adjacent to mountains and he flat-out doesn't work on some map types
Qin Shi Huang: builder charges and larger inspirations/eurekas is just generically good, and rushing an early wonder can help snowball
Trajan: free monuments and roads is a nice bonus that you don't have to think about or plan around

Leaders I never ever play:

Peter: too broken
Lautaro: 100% of his abilities require conquering, I don't like focusing on that most of the time and if I am going to go for a domination victory I'd rather be someone else
Hammurabi: too broken and too focused on conquering if you have a little knowledge about the tech tree (you can get e.g. machine guns really, really early)
Wilfrid Laurier: if you play him, sooner or later you'll find a body of water called "The Great Slave Lake"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Chamale posted:

The Slave nation is an old name for the Dene nation, this is a real lake in Canada.

Of course! If it wasn't a real lake, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I was mostly joking, though - it's a minor thing, compared to the many other more problematic things in Civ. But for some reason that one sticks in my mind.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

But anyway, I still have a specific question to ask the thread since it'll be the way I can refine my gameplay and make my games run so much smoother: when you first build a district, what is your preferred adjacency bonus minimum? A video I watched about district strategies recommended to go for 3+ at minimum, and since early game decisions on what, when, and where to build stuff are the most important, would you agree with this sentiment?

I'm not a particularly pro player either, but I would generally agree with the 3+ heuristic, with a few exceptions. If you're going for science victory, build campuses in every city regardless, and similar for cultural victory and theater squares or religious victory and holy sites (that one should be obvious). It's generally a good idea to build a commercial district or a harbor in every city for the extra trade route, and you can easily get +2 on those but maybe not +3. And lastly, consider not only their immediate adjacency bonus, but also the adjacency bonus they may accrue in the (near) future, especially theater squares, which can have absolutely enormous adjacency bonuses if you plan them right. For example, I often will build a +2 theater square because it's next to an early wonder like Hanging Gardens, then build an entertainment district and a government plaza next to it pushing it to +6, and by the end of the Renaissance there's two or three more wonders and its base adjacency bonus is +10-12. Keep in mind the wonders you want to build for that sort of thing - spots that are river adjacent, city center adjacent, and/or adjacent to certain other districts are important so that there are eligible wonders.

Also, cultural victory in this game is super weird and obtuse. The only statistic that's actually important is tourism (though do not ignore faith or science either, for indirect reasons), and the actual progress toward cultural victory starts only in the latter half of the game. How exactly national parks, appeal, and seaside and ski resorts affect tourism is often unclear, and I don't know all the specifics, but here's an overview. Generating tourism makes both domestic tourists (cultural defense) and foreign tourists (cultural offense). You win if your accumulated foreign tourists is larger than every other player's domestic tourists (aka you are "culturally dominant" over all other civs). These numbers are visible on the cultural victory progress screen, but if you never look at that and focus only on generating as much tourism as possible, you'll win eventually. The main reason to look, strategically, is that if one opponent has a ton of domestic tourists, you may need to kick their rear end. You must straight-up eliminate them from the game to actually eliminate those domestic tourists, but if you act early enough, it may be good enough to simply cripple them so they can't generate as many in the future.

In the early game, just focus on getting culture and building up high-population cities, because you're going to want lots of districts - often a campus, theater square, entertainment district/water park, holy site, and one or two more, per city.

A few tips for the latter part of the game where you start amassing tourism: Figure out how national parks work before you place any ski resorts, because you can't un-build ski resorts and they may gently caress up your national park placement. Plant neighboring woods and un-build neighboring mines, quarries, marshes, and rainforests to up the appeals of resorts and prospective national park tiles. Build holy sites and found a religion because faith is weirdly important in the endgame (mostly for rock bands, which are purchased only by faith for some reason???). Don't believe the "win in x turns" thing on the cultural victory progress screen, it's a lie. You will become "culturally dominant" over at least 2/3 of your opponents long before the game is actually over; be prepared for a slog towards the end (so it is with every type of victory, honestly).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Besides those already mentioned, I find Germany and Babylon are pretty aggressive as well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Is there a mod that makes it possible for national parks to be oriented sideways? It never fails to drive me crazy that they have to be a perfect diamond (just like in real life!!)

Out of all the weird, baffling, ill-considered design decisions in Civ VI, national parks are perhaps the weirdest. One hex on a huge map is theoretically representing about 25,000-30,000 square miles, which is four times bigger than any national park in the USA, for example. But they gotta be four hexes, arranged in a particular way, with a bunch of weird rules affecting their appeal (in particular, it's weird that clearing marshes and rainforests makes them better, and building wonders and stuff next to them does too). Oh, also, you create one through religious faith for some reason. And for all that effort you get a tiny fence and a label naming it after the nearby city. It's like they tried to make them as unlike real national parks as they possibly could.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Anno posted:

Has anyone played much in the way of the various overhaul mods that are out there now? I played about half of a game today on the Harmony in Diversity overhaul and it seems pretty good. I added most of the mods on their Steam mod list and it’s working out. City Lights I also really enjoy, though it changes much less about the game.

It's not a complete overhaul mod, but I've been enjoying the Civilizations Expanded mod lately, that changes and buffs every civ/leader so that the civs are stronger and more asymmetric. Also Terra Mirabilis, a natural wonders overhaul.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

This game is a bafflingly infuriating mix of insane, poorly-thought-out design decisions. But I still think the game is better with Gathering Storm than without.

Most natural disasters are good things. Sure, they may damage a couple buildings and improvements, maybe kill a pop or two, but they increase the yields of your land. Forest fires in particular are OP (although also quite deadly to your population), guaranteed +1 production +1 food. Floodplains can also sometimes get to insane yields. It's a bit of a crap-shoot, as sometimes you'll get stuff damaged and none of the yields will increase in places that are relevant, but overall IMO getting hit with disasters tends to be a good thing in the long run.

Except droughts, droughts never increase yields. gently caress DROUGHTS. Never settle near a seven-tile hexagon of unforested land that includes plains.

As for game modes, here's a short summary:
  • Secret Societies: a new way to spend governor titles on some weird bonus supernatural stuff
  • Corps/Monopolies: when you get two or three of the same luxury, you now have something to do with it besides sell it to an AI player
  • Tech & Civic Shuffle: name explains it
  • Heroes: unlock powerful units, some of which have insane broken abilities (even in peacetime)
  • Barbarian Clans: you can now bribe barbarians to leave your cities alone, and buy units from them, and if you do that enough and/or wait long enough they become a city-state
  • Dramatic Ages: in vanilla civ6, dark ages aren't actually bad for you. Well, now they are, 'cause you lose a city to rebellion when you dark age. Also, no normal ages anymore.
  • Apocalypse Mode: you can cause your own natural disasters on purpose in your or neutral territory, except that they don't increase yields (except forest fires). Also sometimes you throw your units in a volcano for funsies, and if the game goes long enough you get apocalyptic meteors.
  • Zombie Mode: periodically, and also whenever any non-zombie unit dies, zombies pop up. You can build traps and stuff for them but in practice it's never worth doing.

I play with Secret Societies, Corps/Monopolies, Tech & Civic Shuffle, Heroes, and Barbarian Clans pretty much every time, although you might not want to introduce all of those at once.

I kinda like Dramatic Ages but there's a game-crippling bug in it. Apocalypse mode is cool but has an obvious game-breaking exploit in it. Zombie mode is incredibly unfun and unbalanced in my experience - you either get turbofucked by them and lose or they turbofuck your neighbors and you win.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

brakeless posted:

Finally picked this up a couple of weeks ago, feels like this might just end up being my favorite civ. Only thing I don't like is the tech and civic progression which feels way too fast.
I looked around a bit and saw some promising mods, but if anyone has a suggestion for a mod/set that makes the game hit the different eras roughly in the "correct" years, I'd appreciate it.

On that note, Pericles seems kinda busted. I haven't tried that many civs yet and the game is only on King with a good starting position, but acropolises giving you envoys which get you more culture leading to even more envoys is quite the feedback loop that allowed me to basically finish the civic tree by turn 200. Barb camps turning into city-states is a neat feature but it definitely lead to too many suzerainity bonuses for this game to be even remotely balanced. Like I have 8 cities and over 1k science and culture around turn 210.

Yes this game is insanely unbalanced on almost every front, including the civs/leaders; Pericles is on the higher end of things IMO, probably the second best culture civ after Russia. And If you're playing with the barbarian clans mode, you should reduce the number of starting city states to 2/3, or maybe even 1/2, of the game's recommended number for a given map size.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Corporations is equal to 1.5 difficulty level reduction imo. Secret Societies a full level. Dramatic Ages (minus Georgia) is a full level harder. Religion is stunningly overpowered in vanilla, unless you explicitly choose bad beliefs and to not spend faith on tanks.

The frontier pack was great, just wish they'd have addressed balance more after screwing with it so much.

It's not like the game was balanced before the frontier pack. Compare Russia to Kongo, for example. Or the unbalance of terrain - do you start in a nice hilly forested zone with lots of luxuries and bonus resources, or do you start in a sad unforested plain that's gonna spend half the game in drought.

Also, I find Dramatic Ages to be generally easier because you can easily poach cities from your neighbors without going to war. But I don't usually play on Deity so ymmv.

Before they spend time fixing the balance, I want them to fix the horrendous bugs, especially the multiplayer problems. Game should not crash just because we're playing on a custom map, or because there's too many forest fires, or because we put loving map tacks down.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

How well does playing FElanor work with dramatic ages? Seems like all those free cities would be easy picking for a culture flip, bit I've never played that mode.

Pretty well. Warning about Dramatic Ages, though, don't ever slot the "Culture Industry" golden age card; it is bugged and will permanently remove your ability to build or repair districts.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

IIRC the bug only activates if you have the card in play while going from one age to another. So it's still usable if you're careful, and considering how helpful it can be on harder difficulties may be worth the micromanagement.

My understanding is that the bug happens when you remove the card, and usually the reason that happens is because you advance to a new age (and it's either dark or the card is obsolete). I could be wrong though; I've only done it once.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Coming back to Civ VI after more than a year or so off. Lots of cool poo poo added. I’m LOVING the “huge earth historical start” game setup. I’m currently playing as Vietnam. Got three cities up and just trying to soak up the best territories I can, though I’m definitely dealing with a lack of production in this area. I do seem to have a lot of food and…tea. Which brings me to my question: I have the corporations mode enabled, though I never really played with it in Civ IV, and I’m not sure what to do with it here. Apparently of I have two or more of a luxury resource I can start a corporation?

Also, never not play on apocalypse mode. But speaking of that mode, while many disasters seem to have a “boon” of sorts after the disaster passes, what is the boon for handfuls of tornadoes ravishing my land? They seems to just murder people and tiles and I’m not getting anything back in return. Or is it only certain disasters like flooding and volcanoes that give a post-disaster boost?

If you have two of a resource, a builder can turn one into an industry (with Currency). If you have three, a great merchant can turn your industry into a corporation (with Economics). Max 1 industry or corp per city. Once you have a corp, the city can do a project to make products, which are great works that live in seaports or stock exchanges. The industries/corps give a hefty bonus to the tile, and also each luxury has a specific bonus granted by industries, corps, and products. If you get a monopoly on a resource (60% of the market or more), then you get bonus gold and tourism.

All disasters can give fertility bonuses except droughts and tornadoes, I think. Tornados are pretty rare usually.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

How does DLC in multiplayer work?

The host's dlc will be active (with regards to the extra game modes and stuff). You can only select civs that you own, and others may select civs they own, independently of one another.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

In my experience, civ 6 multiplayer is pretty hosed up. Our games would frequently end prematurely due to constant desnycing or outright crashing. Generally we found that if a game did crash, reloading an earlier save would not fix the problem - it would crash again. And if a player started desyncing (and slowly loading in every single turn making the game tedious) then similarly, reloading the game did not solve that problem.

Fortunately, it seems that if the game gets to ~medieval/renaissance era or so without those problems, it would continue to be problem-free from there on. I think the reason for this is because the problems seem to be related to rendering the map - that's why reloading doesn't fix it, it's the same map, and once every part of the land is explored by someone, even an AI, then the risk seems to greatly diminish. Not sure why this happens in multiplayer but not single player.

The only crash we were ever able to figure out the direct cause of was that it would crash if there were too many tiles of forest fire; I made a custom map based on Middle-Earth and it kept crashing whenever MIrkwood caught on fire, and then we figured out that was happening on other maps too.

Also, lmao at the idea of Civ 6 having "no serious balance issues."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I think it's really dumb that Dark Ages in the regular game are 100% upside compared to normal ages (maaabye not if you're neighbors with Eleanor). But at least there's something interesting going on there - am I going to try and keep my era score low for a dark age, or boost it high for a golden? Gotta plan ahead so that I can avoid a normal age, the worst kind of age. And getting golden ages is at least somewhat challenging.

On the other hand, with Dramatic Ages, there's no planning ahead - all there is is a check right before the age changeover to see if I need to boost my era score slightly, and then I never, ever dark age. 100% goldens. Boring.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I like that one, the only negative is like the game is definitely a little different when you have say 20 city states at the end instead of 8 and it can get a little weird especially if you have Himiko who just becomes even more of a monster to get

When I play with barb clans, I reduce the starting city-states to about half of the normal number for a given map size. You still end up with too many city states sometimes but it helps a lot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

That's interesting - does the game give you the yields of the tile under the wonder too? I always assumed not, but I can't see where all the yields come from...

The yields stay the same unless you destroy and rebuild the castle, so the unaccounted-for yields are from the thing under construction. And the extra faith and culture are presumably from the Uluru bonus applying to the castle itself? Idk if it works that way but Petra must've been built before the castle, so Petra's old yields shouldn't count.

Also you don't have to build vampire castles within your land - there are even better vampire castle spots out there.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

What I care most about is that it means they'll be patching the game, presumably.

My wish list for the forthcoming patch notes, in no particular order:
  • fix the bug where too many forest fires causes crash to desktop
  • fix the bug where the ai does nothing but build campuses
  • fix the bug where that one golden age card in dramatic ages makes you never be able to build districts ever again
  • fix the bug? exploit? inconsistency, at least, where artificial disasters in apocalypse mode generate no fertility except in the case of forest fires and Great Bath floods. either make all disasters cool or make none of them cool
  • fix the bug where in multiplayer, a non-host player gets "desynced" and has to load in the game every. single. turn., and the only way to fix it is to abandon the game and start a new one
  • cap the number of city states in a barbarian clans game, or at least make it so that when you turn on barbarian clans mode, the number of starting city states defaults to a lower number
  • rebalance the heroes in heroes mode, so that it's a little less completely loving insane when one player gets himiko and maui and the other gets arthur and beowulf
  • rebalance the secret societies so that i can stop taking voidsingers every single time
  • especially make hermetic order way better to compensate for the fact that you have no idea if you're even going to get any loving ley lines
  • make it so that corporations still count as whatever type of improvement would normally be on that resource, for the purposes of e.g. the mayan observatory, or pantheon bonuses
  • fix the bug where sometimes in tech and civic shuffle, a prerequisite line will go through a tech or civic, making you think it's a prerequisite for something when it isn't
  • rebalance religious beliefs, e.g. nerf feed the world
  • make dark ages actually bad, or normal ages actually good
  • make tornadoes give fertility
  • make it so that when you mark one great work as not tradeable to another civ, it becomes not tradeable to every civ, and also so do your other great works of the same type, so that the ai stops thinking i'm a loving bookstore
I'm sure there's more but that's what I got off the top of my head.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

The team is not even aware of any of these issues.

yeah. if they do like three of them i'll be pleasantly surprised

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

victrix posted:

have patches or mods improved the ai? haven't touched this in ages, mostly for that reason

There was a patch that made the ai worse lmao

iirc they took the weighting given to science production in the ai's priority function or whatever, and multiplied it by 10, 'cause they wanted to fix the ai sucking at science. that was obviously a huge overcorrection and now the ai does science to maximum regardless of whether that's a good idea. you see a lot of +0-1 campuses and stuff. it's near impossible to get a great scientist as a human player, now.

Also the ai is bad at the additional game modes that the dlc introduced.

There are mods that claim to make the ai better but I haven't played around with them much (I suck at the game anyway)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I think Julius Caesar might be the worst offender in the game, so far, for "leader that looks nothing like their real-world historical figure". I mean, surely anyone with a passing interest in history has seen a bust of Julius Caesar, or a coin bearing his profile, or something? Did it even occur to the animators to google up a reference?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's just sad they came out now with it, the mod scene was done and moving on to other games

I just wish Civ Enhanced would fix the new leaders but im not holding my breath

If you mean Civilizations Expanded (my favorite mod) then I checked already and the dev says they're going to update it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Serephina posted:

I'm not history buff, but a quick google gives me this:

which seems reasonable.

:psyduck: they look nothing alike

julius caesar (real) has a thin pointy nose with a prominent bridge, high prominent cheekbones, a thin jaw with a wide-ish mouth, flat-ish ears, and wavy/curly hair that is combed forward over his probably receding hairline.

julius caesar (civ 6) has a wide flat-ish nose, less prominent cheekbones, a wide jaw with a small mouth, sticky-outy ears, and straight hair that is combed back.

if i had to name one feature they have in common i'd say they have quite similar chins. but i'd say the civ 6 animators got that right purely by chance.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Serephina posted:

Yea if that's the rigor you expect then almost none of the leaders would pass muster. Remember when Teddy was first announced and people lost their poo poo about him being too much of a chubby caricaturare? They had to tone it down, can't have fun in a video game.

I'm not saying it should be photorealistic. Caricature is fine. Teddy Roosevelt is fine. But it should look at least kinda like the real person (for those who we know what they look like).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

My wish list for the forthcoming patch notes:
:words:

DontMockMySmock posted:

if they do like three of them i'll be pleasantly surprised

Staltran posted:

New patch. Notes claim that the AI science bias is fixed, as well as the culture industry card bug (infinite cost districts) in dramatic ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

ellspurs posted:

settle in place and no rerolls.

what the gently caress

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Island plates map, iirc. Maybe a couple of the map types do that. Most of the map types are extremely hosed in various ways, with that one being the most obvious; I stick to continents and islands mostly for that reason.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

What irks me the most, having looked through the ancient era techs, is the quotes that reference things in the game outside that tech. Like one of the Animal Husbandry quotes references dogs (which are unlocked from the start, not from animal husbandry, in the form of scouts), and one of the Mining quotes references coal. Come on, man, how lazy are you???

And then there are also the quotes that simply have nothing to do with the tech in question but use the word, like the Shakespeare quote on Masonry, which is about destruction, or the Aeschylus quote on Bronze Working, which is about drunkenness.

It very much reads like they googled "masonry quotes" or whatever and went with the first thing they saw.

I think this game is better if you play with animations off and voice volume set to zero.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I mostly play continents&islands, also occasionally archipelago or the dumb custom maps i made based on poo poo like middle-earth and ff7. I don't like pangea because I like boating being a relevant part of the game, and I don't like continents because it always seems to make two giant blobby rectangles separated by a million miles of ocean.

THE BAR posted:

Yesterday I realised, that Bolívar and Pedro share the same animation set. Weren't these fancy animations Firaxis' mark of pride for Civ6?

no one at firaxis had the slightest bit of pride about this game

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Serephina posted:

So something was sitting wrong with me and I went back to have a look at this save: Turns out the AI was just kinda wallowing about doing nothing, so the tourism from two hero relics was enough to overwhelm seven Immortal opponents.

Can also send the save file to anyone who wants a gander, but I gotta ask: What on Earth is going on here? Look at those science/culture yields, the gently caress? I'm using LateGameAI and LategameStrategy mods, but surely the lack of early warriors and scouts isn't doing this? It's really spoiled any desire to start a new game =[

Wouldn't surprise me that with the "late game" mods, everybody in this screenshot other than the Netherlands and Maya got absolutely bodied by the first barbarian camp to spot their capital. What other game modes are you running besides heroes? If you've got zombies on, it's that. If you've got barb clans turned on, then theoretically barbs are easier to deal with because you can buy discount units, but idk if the AI does that; meanwhile I'm pretty sure that sometimes the AI hits the "raid" button when they really oughta kill a camp, so I think barb clans also makes it more likely for the AIs to eat poo poo.

Beyond that, maybe a lot of them got stuck cramped together on lovely land? E.g. Nubia, with yields that low, probably has a big desert and very little food/production, since they have a desert start bias.

e:fb

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

harrygomm posted:

i know this is probably a tired trope at this point, but man what a start. playing as João III portugal. standard everything, no gameplay/starting bias affecting mode

torn between settling in place for a bunch of production and immediately churning out a settler to take advantage of Mt. Roraima or trekking the 4 turns over to settle closer

game and map seed, if anyone wants that, 703564306

My first thought: move one space and settle on the coast next to the river, where you can have fresh water as well as access to Portugal trade routes, and an extra production from settling on plains hills. But then, there's not much food there.

So what about that spot next to the wheat and fish? No fresh water, but coastal is good enough. But with no good place to put your holy site or campus, it's not very attractive either, really.

So what about between the two wheat? We can't really see what's going on there, but at least there will be a good holy site around Mount Roraima. Also, you'd be settling on turn 4, which is already dicey, when the AI's cheaty starting forces will be hunting for you. Could be worth it if the land beyond the vision is good but idk.

Final conclusion: If that doesn't look good, just slam the restart button. I hate when you start in an endless plains with no grassland, it's a recipe for an extremely slow early game, especially with so few woods/rainforest. Also you can't cut down the woods north of the mercury, because it's the only thing stopping a bunch of that land from droughting.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

my sincere, but vain, hope is that they replace every one of those elaborate animated models with whatever picture is on that ruler's wikipedia page, and then they spend all the money they would've spent on 3D animators on hiring someone to actually loving think about game balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

You should have slammed the "restart" button as soon as you saw that starting terrain, imo. But if not then, then definitely when the barb camp spawned. It's just not worth your time to deal with bad RNG at high difficulty.