Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Superior thread title, superior thread. I'm probably gonna pre-order the deluxe edition even though all common sense dictates I shouldn't! :toot:

Also I hope they've learned their lesson with the DLC stuff, if it's just like four civs and some scenarios that would suck. But since XCOM 2's season pass thing seems to deliver a decent enough value, I'm hoping Firaxis has finally learned a way to package DLC in a way that pleases 2K without ripping off their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I really like the diplomacy screens but I can totally get how they can be annoying if several pop up in quick succession when you just want to get a new building going in a city. It'd be nice if you could set an importance threshold for them to pop up fullscreen, so lesser things would just be alerts.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think I've said it before but they already tried a facebook Civ spinoff and it was a huge flop. Why would they risk trying it again with a main series title?

Plus Civ Rev has a mobile port and it's a hot buggy mess because they gave it to 2K China or something. It's also a 2D game, because I'm pretty sure running a game like Civ at the graphical fidelity of V OR VI is beyond any phone currently on the market. As someone that actually enjoyed Civ Rev, it's a real letdown that the mobile port is so dang buggy. Ranging from instability, AI being unable to play the game properly, to stuff like multiplayer being separate DLC... it's just not pretty.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah I feel like 1UPT didn't get a fair shake because the AI sucks at using it and multiplayer wasn't so hot until many patches in.

Firaxis should see if the google dude who made that GO-playing AI is interested in doing some contract work. Apparently before he was picked up by google he did do AI for video games, so it's not a totally far-fetched idea!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Getting AI to do a Good Job at civ would be very very difficult.

Couldn't hurt to try though.

If they start now they could have something ready by the time Civ VII is ready to release!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

jivjov posted:

Speaking of CivRev, is the second one worth the $10 asking price?

Probably not. Civ Rev 2 is basically the second attempt at a mobile port for Civ Rev, as opposed to a real sequel. It's a better attempt, because it has actual 3D graphics and a couple new leaders, but many of the same issues from the first port persist in this one - AI and barbarian units don't interact, for example. This might not sound like a big deal but it actually gives you, the player, a huge advantage for snapping up all the untouched barb villages, along with impeding the AI's expansion because they have to just try to move around the barb units in their way.

Civ Rev for 360 (or PS3, I think?) is a super-fun game that was designed (actually by Sid Meier!) to deliver the essential civ experience in a single sitting, and I think it does a good job at that even if it's obviously simpler than IV, V, or presumably VI. The mobile ports, however, should only be considered if you absolutely positively need to play an incomplete version of that game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I thought Civ Rev was a ton of fun and a great way to introduce people to the Civ series and get them interested in strategy games in general, I wish it had gotten a real sequel that addressed some of its design issues instead of being relegated to the realm of lazy mobile ports.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Should Civ AI play like a vague approximation of their real-world counterpart with some variance, or play like a player trying to win the game with some variable traits? Or some other way?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Privateers were the coolest in Civ IV.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I mean, 150 civs/leader of the quality that Civ 4, 5, or (hopefully) 6 would actually be a monumental undertaking, but it's a fun pipe dream!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The America intro video was cool but it really put into perspective how bizarrely inflated they made Teddy's face by showing his in-game model next to real-life pictures of the guy. It's like he got stung by a bunch of bees!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Why is Teddy Roosevelt fat, and why is Cleopatra straight-up white?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

sarmhan posted:

She isn't when you aren't looking at a photograph of a magazine.

Yeah, that looks more reasonable.

To clarify, I wasn't trying to argue that Cleo couldn't be like, white-skinned, but in the magazine scan she just looked pale white which I feel would've been a little silly for anyone in Egypt to -that- white. They'd get a sunburn!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Cleopatra was also the Egyptian leader in Civ Rev

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Rolled America for my maiden Civ VI voyage and I'm having a hard time making friends, but I'm finding that the tried and true strategy of "use my smaller amount of units smarter than the AI uses their hordes" to be keeping me afloat. At first I thought that the AI was just pointlessly milling its soldiers about my city and to an extent they definitely were, but what they did accomplish was pillaging my districts, which loving sucks. It takes forever to fix those, and in the same game I had a barbarian boat swoop in to my coastal city and pillage my Harbor the very turn I finished building the drat thing! I don't know if pillaging districts will slow the AI down, but it's vital for the human player to not let it happen to them.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Cities don't have a ranged attack until you build walls, but even after that sometimes I had a really hard time clicking the red circle to activate it, especially if I had a unit stationed on the city.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

"Finished" my first game in that I'm pretty sure I've lost and I'm not sure I want to keep playing. I made the mistake of checking the actual victory metrics and found out that Japan's 53 techs researched was slightly higher than my 35. Their military seemed weak until I realized that I was just fighting all the dreg units they hadn't bothered to upgrade, and their cities were all 90+ HP Helms Deep-esque fortresses that could shred my musketmen and field cannons before I could whittle them down.

I need to take a more expansionistic approach, or at least figure out how to properly speculate on new city locations - The Civ V approach of "less is more" doesn't seem quite as true here!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

PirateBob posted:

How long does it take for a city to stop being Occupied and all pissy about amenities? Is there something you have to build?

The original owner needs to cede the city to you in peace talks, or you need to eradicate the original owner completely.

I actually don't like that mechanic, or rather I don't like that ceding cities isn't automatically included in the default peace agreement. It's not like there's any reason I would -not- want them to cede cities I decided to keep, right?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Overall, I'm pretty okay with how the release turned out. "The UI is bad" is a definite problem with launch VI, but it's a lot better than launch V's "I cannot play this game". And Beyond Earth's uh, everything.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Brannock posted:

Also, this is the third game I've seen Gandhi get Nuke Happy in and I'm wondering if he's guaranteed to get that as his secret agenda.

At the very least I would expect some kind of increased odds for him to get it, because Tradition(TM)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Okay so I don't wanna sound like a dick by asking this but: How do you pronounce the leader of Kongo's name?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yo, this game has more than one quote for a given piece of research. :aaa:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Here's question: If I want to place a district over a forest, does clearing the forest have the same effect as chopping it, and if not, what would be a good way to ensure that the chop actually gets used somehow?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Anway, I feel like the protectorate Casus Belli's war monger penalties are wrong

I feel like an idiot for saying this, but I mean, three times zero is still zero, yeah?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about autocycling through units.

When I'm binge-playing this game late at night sometimes it facilitates me moving the wrong guy into the wrong place, especially since it sometimes will jump to another unit while I'm clicking the next unit I want to move.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

But I thought it was supposed to only count that way for cities you're liberating and not ones you're burning down.

I see what you're saying. Maybe they could add some more differentiating between the types of just wars by having those three listed not let you raze stuff for free, but have more bloodthirsty ones like colonial or territorial wars let you reduce/remove the penalty for razing.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Would the game be better or worse if you were not in a semi-permanent state of religious war at all times? I think it's kinda cool, but I also haven't been playing as much as some of my other pals, who seem a bit burnt out by it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

bump_fn posted:

Is this true? Can you turn it off?

Time victories are a thing, I want to say it's the year 2050. You can't turn it off, as far as I know.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

You actually can turn it off; when creating a game, you can disable any victory type, including score (which is tallied at 2050, which is turn 700 on Standard). Turn/score limits been in the series at least as early as civ 3, and I turn them off every time.

steinrokkan posted:

There is an advanced setup option called something like "Turn limit" that can be toggled, I assume it does what you want. By default if you run out of time, the winner is chosen based on "score", but I don't think there is any score screen in the game.

Sick. Also, Turn 700? I would kind of appreciate the game mercy-killing my run at that point.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I could be talking out my rear end, but I vaguely remember reading that in Civ V, the city recommending icon would have access to information you didn't - namely, the availability of resources that you haven't revealed via research yet. Is it possible that something similar exists in VI, or am I just wrong in both games?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

even giving you a score and comparing you to a historical leader aren't present for some reason.

This is from a few pages back but this feature is still totally in, second tab on the victory screen. I had a game where I annihilated everyone in tech, culture, relgion, everything, but I only had three cities so I had a terrible score. Warren G Harding wouldn't have kicked France's rear end and liberated Toronto, video game! <:mad:>

Geight fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 27, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

snoremac posted:

I don't like how they changed movement so that you need two movement points to go uphill/forest/etc., rather than being able to spend the second point to do it.

Yeah I also really do not like this, it makes exploring early a real pain and it's just kind of not fun to move around with those rules

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I've yet to establish a trade route that didn't have a blank box for what the other party would be getting out the route.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think if you totally annihilate a civ then their cities are effectively ceded to you.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Am I missing something with Inquisitors? They only work in your territory and the one I built seemed weaker than the invading Apostle.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Where is the "Discuss" option on the diplomacy screen? I can't find it anywhere and it's infuriating to not be able to tell the other Civs to stop settling cities right on my boarder. I tried googling this and I can't find anything. :sigh:

I think it only shows up if the civ in question is diplomatically amicable to you. Or that's my best guess, anyways. Sometimes it's there on the diplo screen, sometimes it's not.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Weirdly I had a game with Gorgo and Qin on the same continent as me.

When i saw Gorgo's agenda I assumed I was loving in for it as she looked like Shaka 2.0.

So yeah she declares a joint war on me with China, I turtle up and hold them both off, I sue China for peace after wiping out their army and get a bunch of free stuff for it, standard fare, but Gorgo of course won't do that, she keeps trying to kill me, raises another army, I beat that one up and she finally accepts white peace.

Then immediately afterwards she decides she really loving likes me because I "conducted a long war honorably" and that she loving hates China for giving me stuff to stop killing them. So we become constant allies and friends for the rest of the game while she tries to slowly murder China and China bitches at me for stealing his wonders.

So yeah, Gorgo I apparently really like, she will try to kill you, but if you don't die she will be your best bud.

See, that's the good kind of whacky diplomacy. I'm totally down with stuff like that, and agendas can enable that.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

The UI REALLY doesn't like you in this game. Check for the little wrench icon on top of the lower right window, near the move to, sleep, etc. actions when you send a worker into a pillaged area.

I wonder if there's a bug with the worker UI that only happens sometimes, because whenever I put a worker on a damaged tile it automagically puts "repair this" on the top of the menu in plain sight.

Also that video rules and I had forgotten that earlier civs used actual labels for barbarians instead of just the generic title.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I'm glad that My2K stuff fizzled out quick.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

So there is no multiplayer at the moment? Or is there? Or does it need a patch?

Multiplayer seems surprisingly playable for a civ game at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Can we get that district cheatsheet thing in the OP? That's really handy.

Also agreeing with the sentiment from the last page that Civ VI's civlopedia is kind of a letdown. It's not good as a game mechanics reference because it lacks a lot of keywords, and it's even worse as light historical reading. Civ V's tone was lighthearted, Civ VI's tone is snarky.