Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm going to main Windowmaker in every game I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish I could combine Roadhog and Pharah. I'd call it Phog.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Microwaves Mom posted:

would it be big like roadhog and fly like pharah?

Yes that is my dream. I want to hook people from the sky. Also I want to huff gas in the sky to get high in the sky.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish I could have played all night. In beta I skipped playing Zarya and Hanzo. I got some Zarya time in last night and she's a beast. I got some medal for casting lots of shields and absorbing a ton of damage and it felt good. Once where beam gets charged up it rips through people. Do her bomb attacks ilexplode if they hit someone dead on?

I'm super pumped to try our Roadhog's hook while jumping when I get home tonight. This game rules hard and I can't wait to get next to no sleep in the upcoming THREE DAY WEEKEND!

Still don't care about Hanzo though. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does Roadhog's M2 explode in a sphere or in the direction it was traveling?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
To the five other goons who I played with last night for four hours, it was real fun!

The five dwarf sons and father Lucio. (who took this pic? I got it from AVolcano and he said he didn't take it)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After playing about 200 matches since the game released I can confidently say I love this game. The only thing I do not like is Reaper's ultimate. I've seen too many successful pushes stopped in their tracks because of that ability. It absolutely has counters but there is next to no time to react. As soon as I hear his dumb voice saying "die die die" I want to throw my computer out the window. Nothing else in the game makes me feel that way so its doing real good overall.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I really want the back and forth that TF2 had with its CP maps. Five cap points that either team could take and move the action back and forth. I guess this could setup for longer games which may not be what Blizzard is going for. I like the capture maps in this but only having two points in one direction isn't as fun as CPs were in TF2. The defending team can stop a push but can't push back.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Friendly mei tip to new mei players: hit your icewall button a second time to change the orientation.

Mei is my second most played character and I didn't know this. Thank you!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night as Genji I learned that landing all three M1 stars on Widowmaker's head does not kill her. I think I'm angry about that. The chances of landing all three stars on a head is low (unless I'm just real bad with them which may certainly be the case) and I think she should die. Also I was really angry at that Widowmaker so the problem was amplified.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The reaper and mcree problem is getting worse. That problem being my patience for playing against them has gone away completely.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been having lots of issues with Hanzo and Roadhog this week. I keep dying to Hanzo and when the game shows me know third person dying the arrow that killed me is regularly floating a foot or two off my character model. I'm getting weary of dying to arrows that are not hitting me. With Roadhog I have two problems. Sometimes my hook pulls people through me and deposits them behind me. Not good. Other times I get blasted in the face by whoever hooked the moment they get to me. Doesn't matter if Km holding M1 while the hook reels them in or not, I'm getting killed often to that.

None of this was happening in the first week. I've only been noticing it since Monday or Tuesday of this week. Did a mini patch break something?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Blizzards next character should be Reapers long lost brother who supports his team with friendly shotguns. His special can be Life's Blossum in which he sound around d firing while yelling "live live live"

That or a support character that is fun to play like Reaper and McCree so that people can play a character like that that helps their team.

drat I hate McCree'ers and Reaper'ers.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

neonbregna posted:

What's your ping?

Where can I see my ping? I've never noticed ping numbers in OW. I'll check when I get home.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
so I'd really like to play with four of my friends who live in Utah (with me in Pennsylvania) but when we party my ping goes from 30-40s to >90 and makes the game nearly unplayable. What the gently caress blizzard.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zoness posted:

embrace the lag, become the hog

I wish I could. The hog is my favorite to play but with lag the hook is dropping enemies behind me or to my side. Or I miss completely. Or I hook +M1 + melee and watch them start their death animation then pop up alive and fine and kill me. It's real weird and I hate it. I guess I'll just play Torb in those situations. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Idea time:

What about a tank that heals?

Or an ability that redistributes damage? Like all incoming damage is spread over the team or one player takes the damage dealt to another player?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The only problem I have with Reaper is his ultimate. I've many games because Reaper shows up and says die die die. When I use die die die it seems like it has a five second cast period before people die die die and when it's used against me and my team we all die die die in an instant it seems. Maybe there is a degree of skill involved to determine when things will die die die, I don't know because I've barely played Reaper.

I'm glad something happened to Widowmaker and Jesse. Looking forward to see what the world is like now that those two have been given a chill pill.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played one round before going to work this morning. It was on the Egypt map and I was defending. When the second cap point opened it immediately was being captured so we all doubled back and there was no enemy on the point but it was being contested. A Widow popped her ult and we saw a Reaoer hanging out in the wall along the back of the point. He stayed in there until we eventually lost because there was nothing to be done. Every person in the game was pissed off about it and we all reported him. It was a pretty dumb and annoying glitch. The most obnoxious part was hearing the contested point beeping for four minutes until we eventually lost.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Walrus posted:

I have a 29 ms ping bit the orange connection problem icon shows up frequently, what's up with that?

Same thing happens to me and I don't understand it.

I'm writing it off as lovely net code or whatever makes my Roadhog hooks bounce off people's faces and the same thing that allows me to die to gun fire seconds after going around a corner and breaking LOS. It's a really fun game but that kind of poo poo is starting to grate on my nerves.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My experiences with solo match making indicate you need to queue up, be placed in a game which will probably be a poo poo show, and then lose. Here's where it gets weird. If I stick with it and go from game to game without leaving the matches get better and better. If I leave to take a break or open a box I start over with bullshit. Match making seems to work well after.youve played a few consecutive games but not if you hop around or only play one or two games at a time. I don't understand why it's not consistently good and why I have to suffer a few very annoying games until it gets fun.

It's really annoying when I only have 20-30 minutes to play in the evening. It's getting to the point that don't bother firing up the game unless I have a solid chunk of time to dedicate to it and/or I can get a pre-made going.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't played comp mode yet, but I remember reading earlier in the week KOTH wasn't giving any points or some poo poo like that. Has that been fixed?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
3 games into competative. One game went really well. Next game was full of indignant Genjis. Third game had one guy saying "oh my goooood" into the mic as we got steam rolled for ten minutes. So far so good!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't understand why people play bot games ever. I have a group of friends who spent hours in bot matches when the game released because they felt the need to practice. As soon as they stepped into the wild their poo poo was pushed in just as much as it would have been without playing hours of bot matches. I get they can be useful for getting the feel of attacks and skills... but it's still pointless in my opinion. I guess some people are weird about stepping right into multiplayer.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm hording my cash for new skins too! I was getting grumpy about no good skins to unlock, made a commitment to not buy any skins for the sake of buying skins, and then a mid-tier Mercy skin and blue Junkrat jester popped out of the same floor box!

I still continue to play mostly Roadhog with his purple outfit and Mei with her green outfit.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

whatspeakyou posted:

I'v played so much Roadhog recently, going back to lesser heroes is rough. 600 HP and a 300 HP heal with tons of retardedly easy one-shot potential? How do I go back to the peon land of Solider 76 and other such heroes?

Roadhog is such a good hero. if you haven't tried him yet I highly recommend you do it.

Roadhog for life. I find myself playing mostly Roadhog and Mei lately for the self heals. If I'm playing with a good Mercy I'll just out Pharah, but other wise it's a 60/40 Hog/Mei split for me.

"Violence is usually the answer."

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish there was a way to quantify the benefit of well placed walls as Mei. Like if the enemy team is charging my point in OT and the counter us nearly done and I drop a wall to block them. Or if I drop a wall that splits the other team in two.

My dream unit would be Mei riding on Roadhog's shoulders.

"Violence is usually the answer, sorry sorry sorry I'm sorry sorry!"

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't played many quick matches since competitive launched. The comp matches are usually even, I've only had one match out of 10 or so that was a landslide. I really appreciate being part of random teams that want to work together.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Earlier today I was on a team with a very mean player. He was very upset that I played Mei and I was the reason we lost. Afterwards I queue into another comp match and he's on the other team. Froze and killed him 8 times. Felt good.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Some times the ticks giveth and some times the ticks taketh. Yesterday in the morning I was landing hooks and rockets like a pro. In the evening I was whiffing every hook and firing rockets into walls in front of me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm teetering between 57 and 58 and I regularly play Mei. I'd say she's my third most played after Roadhog and Pharah. I feel like I contribute to my team every time I play Mei. There really needs to be a way to quantify the inconvenience your wall imposes on the other team.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been experimenting with dual support in comp games and have fallen in love with Mercy + Lucio + 76 + Reinhart + Pharah + ____________. The blank being filled by Reaper, Junkrat, Roadhog, or Zarya.

Teaming up with Lucio let's Mercy use her damage beam more often and it rules.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zoness posted:

congrats you're using the standard competitive payload map core :v:

I mean, it's core for a reason

Welp! I should be a grand master strategist I suppose. I'll put my two weeks in at my job and apply to Blizzard Entertainment.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm a fan of ice walls on KOTH maps to delay the enemy team access to the point, especially at the end of a match or during OT. I also like to watch the spawn at the start of a match to throw up a wall. Bonus points if I have a teammate or two with me and I time the wall to only let out one enemy and trap the rest inside. It's a very easy early game kill.

I wish there was a way to quantify good ice wall placements instead of just damage blocked.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

flashman posted:

If you do this you are probably helping them, because instead of trickling in they will come in a wave.

flashman posted:

If you do this you are probably helping them, because instead of trickling in they will come in a wave.

I avoid making clumps of the other team. I try to position my walls to split them as often as possible. When I use walls at the end of KOTH matches to block the point to let the overtime counter down I try to only do it if there is one or two dudes racing to the point to reset the countdown. I'm curious to see how the new countdown works, it seems to go very quickly so maybe walls won't be as critical in preventing countdown resets.

Another fun use of the wall is on payload maps when you have your ult ready. Drop a wall in front of the car so it stalls out and just before the wall breaks away drop the ult while the other team is piled ready to push the cart. At the very least the team scatters and kills any momentum they were about to enjoy.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've played a handful of games throughout the day and this game feels really hosed up. As roadhog I've hooked + shot + meleed probably 15 people and haven't killed anyone out of that. I either deal no damage or a fraction of their life bar. I popped Pharah's ultimate point blank against two enemies and dealt no damage for the duration of the ultimate. I gave up trying to aim so I played as Mercy and was pulled through two walls by hooks. Not like running a corner to escape from Roadhog, I didn't even know a Roadhog was near, I simply was pulled through a wall and killed.

My ping's fine, nothing else is happening on my network I don't understand.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm aiming at heads, yes. I've played a few hundred matches of this game probably, with about 13 hours each of Roadhog and Pharah. Another fun thing that happened tonight was me (Roadhog, full health) getting hooked by another Hog and dying to a single chest shot. I watched the kill cam, no one else was around. I don't understand this game tonight and turned it off before I had a meltdown. I tried rebooting the game, my computer, playing quick play, and playing competitive. Next to nothing was going my way and literally none of it felt like it was my fault.

Maybe tomorrow will be better. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I would like for Mei's M2 to do additional damage per shot against frozen targets or fire faster. As it currently stands, you need to land a precise shot on a frozen target and hope they die because you'll probably only get one shot at them before thawing occurs. I get that a headshot on a frozen target should be easy, but if you're involved in a major dust up you have to hope a teammate sees the frozen dude and helps finish them. I think it's poo poo that McCree can flash bang stun and shoot people to death instantly but Mei needs to spend a second or two freezing people to then get a fleeting opportunity to land one loving shot.

This post brought to you by someone who has hated playing as and against McCree since the first night I played the game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

OK just because MOBAs get brought up in this thread from time to time:

I've never played a MOBA. Not really experienced with RTS games either. Are any of the MOBAs out there (LoL, Dota2, HotS, Smite(?)) actually somewhat welcoming for complete newbies, or is it all as toxic as I keep hearing?

I hate MOBAs and never played them until I went through a HOTS phase last summer. It's just as toxic as Overwatch if I remember correctly. If you can tolerate OW, gives HOTS a chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Every night I've played this since the patch that changed that added Ana I've been constantly hosed over by lag. Tonight as Mei I would drop a wall and a second later an enemy would appear clipping through the top half of the wall. Roadhog hooks acting like they connect but bringing me no one. Roadhog M2's exploding in front of people without damaging them. It's really killing all the fun I was having with the game. :(