Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night I joined a group in LFG, things were very friendly. People were having a good time waiting for the last slot to fill. The host was silent.

The last person joined and a minute later we weren't queuing. Someone was like, "hey let's go." The host said, "we're waiting until I check profiles."

A dark cloud was cast over the group. Then the host told off someone cause their profile was private, said, "you need to leave, fix your profile, and rejoin later if you see the group because we don't have time for this."

I had heard about assholes like this but never saw one so I decided to stick around. Several minutes passed with people joining with "bad" stats who were then booted by the host. Finally we got a group together and off we went, only to be slaughtered.

The host played Rein. He struggled to make space, started every fight by charging deep into the enemy, etc. The entire match was a dumb waste of time and the host was grumpy cause, "he lost three games in a row even after building good teams!"

gently caress running teams like a dictatorship. Everyone was having a good time chatting and talking about what characters they played until the host started cultivating his ideal team and bitching about people he was booting. People need to chill out and realize when they are the problem. If you're a dickhead and don't know your hero, surrounding yourself with players with "good stats" doesn't mean a loving thing.

That game was kind of a blessing in disguise cause it made me turn off Overwatch and go play Monster Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Mushmouthed baritone is spot on. I knew what I was in for but had to see it through. Just to experience it once. My intuition did not fail me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Brig's kit is good but a half coordinated team can counter her. As with many "problems" in this team based game, this one can be overcome by working as a team.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Isn't the thread title appropriate given the Is Brig OP debate that seems to be raging?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

ran into a bug where I couldn't move my hero after joining a game. I'd been opening a box when I joined and some of the ui was still on the screen in the spawn room

glad I was just grinding arcade boxes. if you're in comp, you'll probably time out before the game starts and it'll end itself before you can rejoin

This happened to me except the game opened my UI over the game as it connected. I had to alt F4. Thankfully it was just FFA and I was already annoyed with the game. It was a great opportunity to turn it off.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Skeleton McCree is a great skin. I don't play McCree and I want it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I keep having a bug happen in mystery dm. When I die the screen goes black, I hear the kill cam footage playing, and I can't skip it. While that's happening I actually do respawn and I can control myself. When the kill cam ends my screen comes back and I'm good to go. This happens with maybe 1 out of every 20 deaths. I haven't noticed any pattern to when it happens. Is anyone else getting this?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

Why do people like deathmatch? FFA modes in any shooter are always a dumb loving killsteal fest where more than half of your deaths are to whoever spawned in behind you. In a game with a diverse hero roster where people can pick the best possible killsteal moveset, it's even worse. And without randomized map playlists they can just pick the most optimal killsteal moveset FOR THAT WEEK'S MAP (looking at you, Lucios who never leave the catwalks on Chateau), which is Dumb Bullshit Prime.

I just won Chateau at the last minute with an angry Hog murder spree where I mopped up several rooms full of Moira, Lucio, and Mei fighting each other (many of which I did not get credit for), because those are all anyone ever loving plays. I don't know how I managed to even land in top 4 when every time I spawned outdoors I was immediately Lucio-booped to death. Got my loot box and I'm never going back. That mode is dumb garbage and anyone who likes it is also dumb garbage.

I unironically look forward to when Mystery Deathmatch rotates back in and people can't pick their cheesy bullshit of choice, wish that was a fixed option.

DM FFA is probably my favorite mode. You had a bad experience maybe? Sometimes DM is filled with lovely characters to play against. Lately it's been dominated by McCree, Tracer, and Doomfist. I tend to switch around between characters a few times every match, much like the main game of OW, it's important to react to what's going on around you. If there are a number of widows and Genjis, pick Winston! Lots of tanks? Go Reaper! Too many Pharahs? Pick a hit scan and go crazy! Lots of heroes lacking movement abilities? Go Pharah, Lucio, or Doom and knock people off the map all day!

What I'm saying is look at the roster of who is playing and pick a hero that counters a few to several of them, then seek them out. Or counter the "cheesey bullshit." Or deploy your own version of it!

If you're going for a swim regularly, STOP GOING OUTSIDE. There are far more spawn points indoors than outside so it shouldn't be an issue if you avoid ledges. If Lucio stays on the catwalk, then don't go there and deny him kills. It's not rocket science.

There is no honor in FFA. It's entirely about stacking the odds in your favor as much as possible. Also clever uses of skills really shine in FFA I think. If that doesn't sound fun then FFA is not a game mode for you. Personally, I love FFA game modes in every game and I think it's a blast.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

What do you recommend for too many Moiras and Junkrats? And of course I stopped going outside, that doesn't make it any less annoying when you do spawn there and get promptly booped with no agency, and then have to through the killcam and respawn timer a second back-to-back time, while other people are running around racking up kills and lengthening the score gap. Even if it only happens one spawn in three or four, that blows. And you don't need to be on the catwalk itself either, there are a LOT of valid boop angles. There were two good Lucios in that match and they gave me a dang education.

There's a lot of people smugly emptyposting that one reply so I guess the irony in my "if you like this you're trash" wasn't clear. I'm glad you guys like DM, have fun in there. I just personally don't enjoy it at all and was looking for an insight into why it works for you weirdos. Good answers all around, I'll keep loving with it for aim practice and see if anything ever clicks. I could definitely be smarter about switching and playing Mystery Heroes more will probably give me a feel for that, but I think no matter how much I improve it's just a bit too luck-based for me to really love (and seriously, is no one else having the kill attribution problem?).

I've played dozen of hours of FFA and I don't know if I've ever spawned and been immediately killed. Sorry about your lovely luck - it does happen... a few nights ago I was LOL'ing because as Pharah I kept knocking the same Reaper into the drink shortly after he spawned.

Against Junkrats I favor Pharah and Roadhog. Against Moira def Roadhog. Mei can take out Moiras easily too after they use their spirit walk skill.

I've been having great success lately with Symmetra. If you're clever with turret placement you can have a fantastic time. Instead of deathtrap rooms, hunt down engagements and toss in a few turrets. The other players will be too busy to notice you arriving on the scene to ruin their day.

I'm learning to play Sombra lately too. She can see low health players through walls. Stay invisible and swoop in to steal kills.

Play deviously and play dirty, that's the whole fun of FFA.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

I Said No posted:

i don''t miss it, every time i logged in to check it out there were just racist slurs and other edgy poo poo loving everywhere
had to double check i didn't join a 4chan server

I think we were playing on different Lost Continents because I don't remember any racist poo poo. Everyone was chill and had a good time when I was there (2009-2011ish).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I decided to play Comp after a taking a several season break. The second LFG I joined as a flex spot. The guy was like "oh nice you can do anything it looks like." I said, "yeah, I'd like to play Mei if possible but I'll work as a team."

He goes, "YOU HAVE CARRY US, YOU RESPOND TO WHAT THE TEAM NEEDS."

I said, "so I have to shoulder the weight of the entire team?"

He says, "Yea!"

I said, "Good thing Mei's legs are so sturdy."

He kicked me. I think I won that one.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Novasol posted:

Randomly ran into Wildtortilla today while doing Elims, and got to show him some little hamsters and/or big adventures: https://youtu.be/HrQ7dy-zEoA

I was not expecting to find a goon in 3v3, thanks for the games. This clip made me chuckle again this morning.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This role queue sounds prohibitive to fun. Last week I joined a 6 DPS comp LFG and we won 3/3 games. It was fun and goofy and we had a great time. I guess messing around with non 2/2/2 groups isn't allowed anymore. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Yoshi Wins posted:

why are people mean to each other so quickly

I've noticed people being real jerks lately in all the OW threads I follow. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My tank role placed me in the high 2300s, which is middle ground of where I usually was playing tank and healer, 2200-2500. Healer role placed me at 2050. My tank placement games I got grouped with people who used voice chat and were friendly people. Contrasting that was the healer queues where I got placed in three silent games, one game in which there was voice chat but it was a constant stream of Rick and Morty quotes, and the last game in which everyone talked and was nice - my only healer win.

A few of my tank games and my last healer game had great groups of people who wanted to stay together, but it seems like the option to stay as a team is gone (or maybe missing from placement matches??).

From my two weekend afternoons with role queue I didn't see it benefitting the game at all. For me role queue feels like, at best, a sidegrade, but most likely a downgrade. I'll give it a few more weeks to see if things improve but I'm pessimistic.

LFG brought me back to the game last year and now it seems dead. RIP Overwatch enthusiasm. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

It sounds like your SR number is dictating your opinion of whether the game is dead or alive, and also whether you're having fun or not.

That path leads to madness.

E: if stay as group is gone that does legitimately suck, but I feel like that's just for placement matches and was already like that?

I don't care about SR and I didn't intend for my post to sound like I do. What I value most is finding a group of people who talk and are nice. That seems to be much harder to do now.

My gripe: LFG is dead. For the past month or so whenever I play there are 0-2 groups, usually zero. If I make a group no one joins. My role queue results were largely dictated by random chance. I'm sure if I deserve to be a higher healer I'll climb up to an appropriate SR. My fun with this game comes from good teammates and close matches, if I have those things I don't care about winning/ losing. My schedule is erratic so I can't easily find a consistent group to play with. LFG mostly solved that problem but it's dead recently.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

My bad, I pre-coffee-posted and thought you were saying the game was dead, not LFG. Thanks for clarifying.

That does suck and I never considered that side effect. Maybe once the novelty shine wears off the new queue, some folks will come back to LFG? You can't be the only one who doesn't want to roll the matchmaking dice two or three times before finding a good group.

It's cool, I mid-coffee posted so I wasn't clear as clear with my intent as I could have been.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Clowner posted:

Hopefully you friended some of those people while you had the chance :(

I did but I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone on my friends list while playing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I liked LFG just to ensure two things: 1- people can communicate and 2- people get the role they want.

The new system only ensures one of those two things. Again I don't care about winning or losing I just want to be able to work as a team. It's pretty easy to tell before the game even starts if an LFG team will or will not turn against itself as soon as things don't go well for the team.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

So my friend got me back into this after a couple of years of not playing. Which healer would be easiest to pick up?

Moira was my gateway drug into healing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I really want to punch in the face every moron I've dealt with lately who uses Widowmaker or Ana on Attack(and to a lesser extent Hanzo), the fact that Blizzard doesn't consider "an unwillingness to switch Heroes" a form of Gameplay Sabotage is absolutely idiotic, especially since it often is basically one of the things they do consider Gameplay Sabotage(Feeding to be specific)

I agree and will raise you one: I think unwillingness to communicate in a team based game is a form of gameplay sabotage. To anticipate the counterpoint: I think getting lovely in chat is a form of gameplay sabotage too.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think if you want to play a heavily team based multiplayer game, but you're unwilling to use voice because of maybe encountering an idiot sometimes you should just not play the game. Ive been in voice for every match since the game released and toxic people are the minority. Like an insignificant minority. Just use voice and you'll have a better time playing the game!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
While I really hate ten minute queues for DPS I'm learning to make the best of them. It seems there are an endless amount of 2-5 minute chores as an adult, so I jump in the queue and get some poo poo done between matches. It's great for folding laundry, putting clean dishes away, tidying up, etc. Though I'd much rather be freezing people with Mei constantly!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What about a tank that applies shields to nearby teammates as the tank attacks, like Brig's healing from smacking enemies?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

I've lost count of how many qp matches I've been in where I've said "hey we don't need a widow and a hanzo"

Just look at how many QP matches you've played. That's how many matches you've been in with a widow and Hanzo dream team.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm playing arcade games for this Symmetra skin. My weekly games are 9/9 completed, but my Symmetra events are only 7/9 completed and I don't understand how this is possible. I've only played these arcade games, nothing else.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There are two types of OW matches:

1- an evenly matched game that's loads of fun whether you win or lose.

2- a dogshit game where your team either stomps the other team or gets stomped. In this case the outcome of the match feels pre-determined after the first or second push. These matches all suck and exist to make you treasure the matches of type 1.

Unfortunately it seems like the ratio of type 1 to type 2 matches is 1:10. Therefore you should just play deathmatch in the arcade.

Also comp is more fun once you realize everyone playing, including yourself, sucks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Guigui posted:

... And I think that's a difference between, say, playing TF2 as a Heavy with a master spy on the opposing team Autobalance will scramble te teams randomly, and generally you will have a mix of bad players and really really good ones. You can learn tips and trivks while actively playing with, or against a great player.

Watching the pros play is one thing - being able to play with (or against) is another...

This is why I played 800 hours of TF2 in half the time I've put 400 into OW2. I miss the Lost Continents so drat much.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Man I haven't played Comp in so long. I played a few rounds today and I just lost a match because of a duo on my team. Mercy + DPS. The Mercy didn't help anyone except his buddy. Then the DPS made fun of the other DPS for having a low DPS compared to his own. Then we lost and they blamed the team.

Never change, Overwatch.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Everyone sucks at OW, even you and me, and when you accept that it becomes much easier to enjoy.

It's just a fuckin' video game you play to have fun. Insulting other players achieves nothing but increasing the over all hostility in the playerbase.

So don't loving do it.

It doesn't make you feel or play better and it doesn't make other players better at the game. Just be a nice, chill person and you're teammates will likely respond in kind.

gently caress being a jerk in online video games.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well I like tanking and I like playing Mei.

Guess I’m done with OW.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My strategy for toxic teammates was to ask what everyone’s favorite pie is. That usually took people by surprise enough for them to pause and then get into a discussion about pie.

Pie is great.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My favorite pie is pumpkin. What's yours?

My wife makes a real nice mulberry pie with fancy topping cream for Thanksgiving. That pie is my favorite pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It’s been about a year since I played OW, am I reading these posts right that there is cross play in QP modes now?