Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Someone give me advice as Mei. Besides not loving my team with ice wall

gently caress the enemy team with ice wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pumpy Dumper posted:

there was a huge tryhard post on /r/competitveoverwatch where this guy gathered a poo poo ton of data and yeah basically you're first 3-4 placement games are the most important for determining your rank

Season 1 I lost my first thee placement matches and placed at like rank 68 in the end

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I really don't understand how people can play QP. Played two matches just now, first had two genjis and a widow on my team and we got rolled. Second had our Genji idling on top of a street light spamming "hello!" while the enemy team failed at doing an all-genji team aside from their D'va who sat behind us at our spawn and legit got mad if people attacked her instead of dancing around spamming emotes.

Reminder: this is the torbjörn talking

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

qkkl posted:

What's the best way to grind xp to get to level 25?

Play the game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What's a good amount of healing to opt for with Transcendence to make the most out of it? I remember healing 1700 with it once.

You really shouldn't be thinking about Trancedence like that. The amount you heal doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is did you save people who would otherwise have died with it.

Generally you want to use it to counter various enemy ults.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

I want to try overwatch with 24/32 player dedicated servers.

That would be absolutely awful

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Mercy is weird. She is most fun when your teammates are really good or hilariously bad, but not so much fun when they are in the middle.

How is Mercy fun when your teammates are hilariously bad? That's like the most awful time to play Mercy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

he probably means that you get sick 5 rezzes all the time

Like those bad players have the good grace to die in a pile. They are all trying to flank and dying all over the map.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Avail posted:

I play a lot of Lucio and hog is not too bad to beat. He's easy to hit from a distance with M1 and that does plenty dmg if you can aim/lead the slow poke.

If you get hooked, which is rare, run through him rather than away since he almost always walks forward instinctively. Continue to dmg while speed boosting, most hogs I play against cant compensate for the speed boost well.

If he misses you or you wait for him to blow the hook first, it's generally over unless he actually has a decent healer on him. Winston is a much bigger concern for me, stupid jumping ape.

If you get hooked against an even halfway decent roadhog, you are most likely dead instantly (unless the hook is from max range). You don't exactly have time to move or doot him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

damage to shields is still really important. imagine if no one ever shot a reinhardt shield. his team would be invincible

you definitely have time to boop him. i survive probably more than half the time when i get hooked, dying only if boop is on cooldown or i'm out of ammo. hold down right click to boop as soon as you're able, speed boost away.

It depends on the range you are hooked since the hook stun duration is static. If the hook is long range the stun will wear off before you die, if it's medium or short range you (probably) just die.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Some people are like cranky old curmudgeons who refuse to switch to discord and will cling to their mumble servers until they literally die

i know several

I still use mumble. There has just been no reason to change away from it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have like 6000 gold because I have the stuff I like for characters that I use already. I'd appreciate something to use it on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care what Blizzard uses their employees for, I just want the holiday events to not be lovely and allow me to get the skins with gold.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

flashman posted:

That isn't going to happen because they are obligated to their shareholders to recoup on the expenditure of creating the assets.

I'm pretty sure idiots are going to spend tons of money on loot boxes even if they are able to get stuff with gold.

Still, it's not a deal-breaker or anything, just something minor that annoys me. I just don't like lovely f2p systems in my full price titles (and why some people are so adamantly defending the lovely f2p systems I don't understand at all).

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 7, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thoughtless posted:

How, even? I lost 9/10 placement matches this season and got put in upper Gold.

Your quick play/previous season MMR determines the level you start your placement matches at. He must have had a really low initial rank to get that low.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's a travesty if Zenyatta doesn't get a new skin

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kehveli posted:

Yeah they've pretty much said invisibility skills are lovely and unfun for everyone else so they're not likely to be doing it. One thing that the hacker-thing could work with is adding another non-healer support to hang out with symmetra.

Symmetra should be reclassified as a defense hero though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sombra's ult is Mr.Resetti

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Disguises don't really fool anyone, because each character tends to act a particular way, favor particular parts of the battlefield, and have visually distinct abilities. Disguised characters act way different from the real thing.

Also, with infinite ammo any stealth or disguise ability is just going to result people constantly unloading their weapons at nothing/teammates

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's great, I have like 7000 credits saved.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

2MB posted:

Anyone that's played on both PC and console, how is the Dual Zone controls? Does it make snap 180's a more realistic endeavor or is console still going to be watered down?

There is literally no chance it comes even close to KB+M.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yolshi posted:

Anyone else getting phantom ( :v: ) inputs after the patch? Just had a game on PS4 where my gun wouldn't stop firing. Pretty sure my controller's fine.

Yes. I keep throwing my grenades as Ana without pressing the button. I thought there was something wrong with my keyboard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

That wasn't how it went for me, could barely scratch her as Reaper in a 1v1 situation

You are doing something wrong then. Reaper should melt every tank, including Zarya.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Efexeye posted:

i've paired up with several goon teams that were 500 SR higher than me to the tune of 'we'll just carry you up to 2k here tonight, no problem, should be easy' and then proceed to win less than 50% of the games so what's that about

Sounds like goon teams are terrible.

I managed to carry myself from 2400 to 3100 by slam picking Zenyatta and murdering everybody just fine after I hosed up my placement matches.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 24, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Efexeye posted:

no, i fully admit that im terrible. but when you're in the 1500s and every game involves a useless slampicking genji or hanzo or widow or offensive torb, it makes it harder- i shouldn't be getting gold elims as lucio 4/5 games as I am now

i also disagree about ignoring the team. team comp is more important than individual skill, in poo poo tier, anyway

The enemy team also those same useless players. If you are more skilled than the other players in your bracket you will, on average, win more often.

Lucio also probably isn't a good choice if you want to carry games since Lucio needs the other players to do the killing.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 24, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Efexeye posted:

if i dont pick lucio 80% of the time the only healer is Ana :/

If you still feel you need to play support, try Zenyatta. Zen is by far the best support for carrying idiots since he's also a damage dealer in disguise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Playing Mercy on those ranks has to be really relaxing since all of the flankers on the enemy team are bound to be godawful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

You need good dps players for Zarya though. You can't carry the team if the enemy has six living players all focusing you because your dps is Hanjo+Widowmaker.

You can't carry with any hero when the enemy team is a lot better than your team, you carry when the team are about equal aside from you being better than the others (unless you are like 2000 ranks too good for the game you are in).

A competent Zarya against bad players is an undying god with permanent full charge.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

He is kind of the low-effort defense equivalent of Lucio where the damage is done on a largely passive basis since you're lobbing the grenades over walls and poo poo.

If the damage isn't killing the enemy you are just fueling their support ults though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I Said No posted:

Last time I got nanoboosted it was as Mei while I had gently caress all health left. I basically saw a blue flash then immediately died. I'm not sure Mei is the best target for the boost anyway.
Still less baffling than when I got a boost as Symmetra and the Ana types in chat "TURBO MICROWAVE CANNON GO GO GO GO GO". It's like... I appreciate your enthusiasm, but c'mon, this is Symmetra. :geno:

Symmetra is a relatively good boost target though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

A lot of people just want to play effort-free overwatch.

Quick play exists though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

He receives some points for repping Junkrat but I've been waiting for book #3 for way too long.

Why would you even want a third book after the second book was such garbage?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brannock posted:

At least we know it's coming.

I wouldn't be so sure about that either.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

To be fair most Ana players are useless when playing her

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zen also often gets a lot of healing done with his ult while Ana doesn't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Papercut posted:

You can see how fast hacked packs regenerate, it's stupid:

https://clips.twitch.tv/unitlost/HelplessSalamanderShibeZ

How could anyone have thought that was a good idea?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

And with hero limits on quickplay it gets one very large step further away from that and closer to being rigid and competitive.

Not really

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I haven't really been following the Blizzcon announcements other than reading recaps, and I'm wondering about something. With Quick Play changing to have a 1-hero limit, have Blizzard said/mentioned anything about "insta-locking" yet?

Not that I have any idea what exactly you'd do to counteract it, but it would be nice to see Blizzard acknowledge that it's an issue.

I don't think people picking the hero they want to play as is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fusion Restaurant posted:

There 100% shouldn't be hero limits in QP. If you want a competitive experience, play competitive. This just makes it waaaay harder to practice heroes in QP if those heroes are popular...

There 100% should be heroes in QP because it makes the mode a lot better. It's still very different from comp too.