Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, what's up with release and Bastion players? Are they just jumping in the bandwagon thanks to all the dumb redditors screaming for nerfs to Bastion?

Dear Bastion players in 5 consecutive games: you can't move on turret mode due to the power trade-off. You can move on Recon. loving MOVE.

Seriously 5 game sin a row a bastion shooting people in Recon mode, standing in one place. One of them even got a card because he got 4 recon kills. Never moved.

Also, entering turret mode out in the open, in front of their whole team: great idea keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kerrrrrrr posted:

he's an enormous grandpa, you can see him in his comic that i can't link to cause i'm at work~

Please namechange me to Enormous Grandpa.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Abu Dave posted:

What are you supposed to do in the downtime when you're a turret girl and all our turrets are up? Shoot guys? I thought I saw that you could heal your turrets somehow?

Do like the pubbie Symmetra I found yesterday and try using your left click as a healing beam like Mercy.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thor-Stryker posted:

Were we in the same game? I had a rank-7+ Symetra on offense who spent ten minutes trying to 'heal' random teammates with her primary. Needless to say, we didn't win.

I'm sure there are thousands like this, but I was in EU specifically.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FAUXTON posted:

You get some of you preordered the origins edition but they're kinda crap. The S76 one is all right because it doesn't change his voice so it's like this 30 year old guy who smoked turpentine-dipped coffin nails since he was 10. The Pharah one is some desert camo stuff and the Widow one is a skin for the most useless character in the game.

Reaper's skin is amazing because he's a regular dude that's ~~~~edgy as gently caress~~~~ and turns into shadows and poo poo!

BTW reaper talk: he's not that hard to play. Always be flanking and abuse your E to come from unexpected angles. Don't aim for heads, but do shoot from close range. Shooting from middle range doesn't do good damage but you'll always hit a few pellets so it's ok to finish someone off.

Don't use your Shift to charge head on, that's dumb and will result in your dead. Yes not even if you have ult, if a team sees a Reaper charging them they're just going to spread and headshot you as soon as you pop out. E to a weird angle then drop onto them instead.

Basically just learn to use E, otherwise just play McCree.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FAUXTON posted:

Oh that's right, Reaper has that "What a CODBLOPS character named Reyes would look like" skin. Same voice thing as S76, shame they didn't have him voiced by Luis Guzman or Benicio Del Toro for it.

Comedy option naturally being John Leguizamo reprising his Chi Chi Rodriguez role.

gently caress I forgot something for Reaper!

You can animation cancel out of your reload by doing a melee attack as soon as he drops his shotguns. This ends up being about as fast as reloading normally, but with a melee attack, so make it a reflex and you can still damage someone at close range (which you should be at, since Reaper) while recharging your death sticks.

Ok that's it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Lucio knows the pain of seeing people climb out of pits all too well.

Is that a fabela joke because that's not nice.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JollyPubJerk posted:

In my short experience it's only really useful against Reinhart/Winstons that are causing trouble.

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In a vacuum, I rather have the system as it is, but in real life I wish respawns worked on waves, because spending 7 minutes with my team's respawners attacking the point 1-by-1 and constantly dying is why I lose half my games.

Group up! Group Up! Group up! *watches as soldier runs straight into Anubis' point B entrance then dies*.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thumbtacks posted:

Basically, yeah. In theory the ideal way to do it is M2, cancel the animation with a hook, M1, cancel that with a melee. The M2 usually isn't necessary unless they're one of the tankier heroes.

It's good to do it all the time to get it into your muscle memory, but I can never pull that poo poo off.

DeafAsianQT posted:

How important is being able to listen in this game? I can't use the game sound because of <--refer to SA username

It's actually very, very important. To the point where you are at a serious disadvantage.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lady Naga posted:

Well yes obviously if you have the ultimate and there's nothing better to use it on go ahead and chuck it at Bastion but that can apply to literally any other character in the game so...

Roadhog is really good against D.Va because his M1 shreds armour.

Don't save your ults for that sweet quadra kill moment. Use them as you need them! If your team is having problems with a bastion, ulting him is an easy and quick way to take him down.

And yeah, Roadhog's M1 isn't great against DVa specifically because it shreds armor (small pellets are actually bad for this, see Tracer) but because DVa is Huge and has a central Headshot hitbox so you hit every pellet and almost all of them are headshots, which is crazy.

DVa's headshot hitbox is her biggest weakness tbh. I wonder how strong she would be if they removed the ability to headshot her.

edit: I know it'll die down eventually but I think having a general thread and a Strategy thread would be good, this one moves too goddamn fast.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 27, 2016

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lady Naga posted:

Also no, small pellets are great for taking out armour, because the damage reduction is applied to the final damage, not per-pellet. Tracer's gun sucks because it's not a spread of flechettes but singular projectiles shot fast. I made a whole spreadsheet about it and everything.

Oh, I had no idea it worked like that actually, interesting, although my interpretation amounted to the same :v:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ddraig posted:

Nah, they won't.

Paired up with symmetra that would make him a 200 health hero, most of which is shields. That's also the reason why Symmetra's shields were taken down to 25 from 50 because it turns out having 200 health Tracers and 250 health Genjis is actually quite a big loving deal.

This is also why they added LOS to Zenyatta's orbs seeing as how he could just place it on Genji and suddenly one of his big weaknesses is gone forever.

Yeah I'm really, really wishing that they rework Symmetra's E into something else. It's incredibly boring and either overpowered (before) or terrible (current).

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

What if you could build a wall that when passed through by your team they got the shield

So you could just slap it down somewhere in an entry way and people would just walk through and get it, buff the shield amount but make the deployer destroyable like her other poo poo.

My armchair gamedev idea was to make her E a deployable stationary shield generator with a smaller version of Reinhardt's shield, that wen your teammates pass trough gives them a short speed boost.

Bam, Lucio is no longer the only character with a speed boost and now Symmetra is a full on builder that also works pretty well on attack.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Donnerberg posted:

Junkrat's rip-tire is the only offensive ultimate that Mercy can't boost.

How 'bout D.Va's? Tracer's?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dias posted:

I think the funniest thing to me is that Blizz couldn't think of how to make a Brazilian stereotype that wasn't mean-spirited so we just got native English speaker DJ that likes hooooockey????

Did Brazil get really cold because of Overwatch-lore events? Like, legit question here.

Listen if Jamaica can Bobsled, Brazil can Hockey.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't sweat quick play, so you lose a bunch of games, big deal. How else are you going to learn?

In a few weeks (haha) we'll have ranked and QM will be forever the casual mode to gently caress off and play whatev.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Played with Hanzo a bit and it seems like they ripped most of his abilities directly from Ashe in League of Legends. One or two similar abilities could be a coincidence, but they're both archers with:
An ability that fires multiple arrows at once.
An arrow that reveals enemies near where it lands.
An ultimate with infinite range that goes through terrain.

I refuse to believe someone would be stupid enough to say this seriously so I assume you're trolling.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aranan posted:

Where is a good place for Symmetra turret placement right at the start on Route 66? I've tried inside the various train cars, but they are all so visible that they get smashed immediately. I tried on the underside of the bridge right after the payload, but it's difficult to place them there and they also don't last long. The gas station doesn't seem like a great place, either. Any suggestions?

The small grottoes inside the rock to the left of the attacker's spawn are not a bad place once the payload starts moving, since you end up defending near the gas station a lot.

But since the spawn is Sniper central, I'd think having a few facing the defenders would be helpful even if they destroy them quickly. Making someone turn around to deal with a turret gives your Widowmaker (we both know you have at least one) a pretty nice shot to the back of their head.

Don't be shy with Sym's turrets, they are a distraction and a way for you to charge dat ult. No need to try and get a sick turret chokepoint that is going to get destroyed all at once by a Junkrat of Pharrah, spread them around!

Not that it's not funny when they kill a Genji.

edit

Your Computer posted:

Respawn in waves instead of personal when solo queueing perhaps? Solo queue turns into a meatgrinder so often, trickling is a huge problem and although it would change the gameplay a bit (and need some good tuning to not be a huge nerf/buff) I think wave respawns would help.

While it would certainly help, I don't think changing the game so much would be cool. Honestly people just need to l2p (myself included since I still occasionally rush in after a respawn).

Honestly I like spawn camping as Genji or Tracer too drat much.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 2, 2016

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ddraig posted:

I think people would pick up on the fact that you have a death-dealing heal machine like Zenyatta tearing up everyone and everything when paired up with Symmetra fairly quickly.

The fact is that healthpools in this game are at such a point where a tiny amount of extra, comparatively speaking, can make the world of difference. This is why Symmetra got nerfed from 50 shields to 25 because 200 health tracers and 250 Genjis were tearing up shop.

This is exactly why Symmetra needs to have her E reworked into a placeable buff station or something! Her shield is boring and impossible to balance properly.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ihmemies posted:

Gotta love Winston. I feel like playing with The Emperor Palpatine while unleashing force lightning and sick slams to all directions

No joke, I think everytime I switch to Winston I improve my team by a lot.

Being a chaos monkey is hilarious and jumping to people in order to force them to change positions works wonders at my mmr.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mierenneuker posted:

Competitive games are played using custom mode. Custom mode has 60 tick rate because Blizzard wants to "explore it" and people to give them feedback about it.

I'm sure most of us are thinking about the competitive mode when we read "Competitive Games", not tournament pro games or scrims.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've always pictured a rework of Symmetra as making her E deploy a placeable barrier your teammates can shoot through, like Reinhardt shield but with far less health.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

So just duplicate Winston's kit for her?

I feel like a wall shape and a Winston's sphere would feel different enough, also I was thinking more like a lower CD and HP. Something that's supposed to give your team a bit of cover while moving or for a short approach, and not a zone you want to fight in.

More like mei's ice wall I guess, but transparent, intangible for your team, and weaker. Imagine Symmetra being able to support her team by creating short duration safe zones for approaches, it would be pretty fun and involved!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll be honest: you leftie mouse users freak me the gently caress out.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bastion is my bane though.

Haha this brings back memories of the early days of OW when every new player would complain about Bastion.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does the Symmetra shield gen get refunded/destroyed after a point is capped?

Also, for offense, is there a way to destroy it so you can move it?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I do like her playstyle, and in medium MMR you can do some silly moves and take crazy risks that are extremely fun. If she had better spread and maybe a bigger incentive to hack any character I think I'd play her a bunch.

Maybe a bit of aimbot on a hacked opponent? Like some slight tracking that would offset her spread vs a hacked enemy. That way you could go in, hack, pull back to mid range while you kill him then run? I think that could be an interesting synergy.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AndyElusive posted:

Just found out that a 5 stack that I teamed up with about two months ago got super offended when I called D.va "the asian chick" and Lucio "the black guy" jokingly during skirmish. Unbeknownst to me they got all super PC and confused and then refused to play with me. Then I was told they were a mix of races and sexualities and didn't find that kind of terminology funny. I said I thought that was pretty gay and a few minutes later I had to delete a bunch of strangers who wouldn't talk to me anymore from Battle.net.

Yeah man haha gently caress those PC people right? I mean why get offended when you call someone the much easier to follow and understand "Asian chick" instead of her extremely well known, unique, and shorter name?

They are totally a bunch of The Homo, hah!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bleck posted:

I don't understand the logic behind making tanks able to defend the characters that are supposed to do damage by making them do even more damage in comparison. Why do we even need a Soldier or whatever if we can just stand behind Roadhog and heal him while he one shots folks and D.Va blocks anything that thinks about doing damage to him?

"Tanks" doesn't define poo poo in this game, every character has a different use and role (some overlap, some are straight up better and some have unnecessary roles)

Roadhog does not fill the same role as Reinhardt, or Dva. He's a big damage sponge that punishes people targeting by being able to one shot them if they plan to go toe to toe against him. If he couldn't do that then there would be very little reason to target him beyond charging your ult.

See Winston, he has poo poo damage, but he can jump into your back line and wreck someone unless the team turns around and kills him, however turning around means giving Winston's team a small advantage. Reinhardt has a more direct defense that the enemy is forced to deal with, Zarya can become a monster if you let her stay in a fight too long, etc. There is no taunt in OW so the only way to make tanks actual tanks is giving them the tools to force the other team to deal with you over the others in your ideal situation.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Counterpoint: junkrat is fun and good, play more junkrat.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That reminds me, yesterday in Eichenwald (sorry, no idea how to spell it) a Dva ulted completely horizontal on top of the payload right in the middle of the bridge.

Quad kill, it was the most perfect dva ult I've seen, only our ana an genji were far enough to avoid it, lost the game due to that!

I had to compliment the guy.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't think Symmetra is OP, but her shield generator needs a limit, probably based on application like her teleporter. It's not just about it being too strong, but it's the only ultimate in the game with an infinite duration.

This becomes a problem in maps in which it can be placed in a spot that can be defended easily, like Anubis and Hanamura B.

Making sombra viable and buffing her hack to be immediate and maybe long lasting on placeables would be an interesting fix, too. Let torbjorn whack his turret to wake it up but make the shield generator be unusable for a full minute? Probably a weird fix but I just want Sombra to have a place in the game as well.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

e: Or have the gen slowly drain its strength or health the longer it exists, which she can restore as she does things that would normally build ult.

I like this idea. Every shield placed depletes her ult charge and when it's gone, it's gone, but she can keep building it. That would be pretty interesting.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have a friend that just bought the game so we're training him in QM and I'm taking the time to get better at a few classes that I think I can improve in a lot.

Lucio, man. You guys keep saying that he's boring, and maybe in a full premade his optimal play is just an aura source, but with pubs there's the possibility of really frantic play. I can be ANYWHERE I'm needed and I just have to learn to evaluate the risks properly. Dva boosted to 1v3? I speed boost to her, help her DPS and heal her a bit, speed boost when she decides it was a bad idea, boop the roadhog that just hooked her and bail while sliding in a wall.

Sure he has a low skill floor but I think there's room for a lot of great play.

Also, I'm a Symmetra player that uses tp at point A a lot. Mostly because pubs think Symmetra is a good replacement of a second healer, so picks tend to happen a lot and tp helps with that.

And I'm also still surprised that Sombra can't hack her ults to remove the shield and destroy them quickly. You'd think the one thing the hacker character would be good at is dealing with machines, and yet...

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah I know the EMP does the trick, that's why it seems like such an obvious choice! I'm guessing Sombra doesn't need more wonky mechanics (why would hack remove some shields and not others, when EMP removes them all, for instance).

I just want Sombra to have more utility and be better in general :smith:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

phthalocyanine posted:

The shield generator is still so much better in a lot of instances, though. Why have a limited use device that broadcasts its presence with the red team's voice lines to slightly rush someone into the battle when you could've kept them from dying in the first place with an extra, regenerating 75 HP? I've been playing her a lot recently (qp only) and only a couple of times have I had a team with two other support picks, and I've had a few rounds with no healing at ALL where we've won because of that stupid OP shield generator. Don't underestimate its utility

I mean, if I think my team isn't a bunch of idiots I will put up the shield generator, no doubt. But lots of times, 75 extra HP doesn't help that much and the constant influx of warm bodies does.

This is in low platinum.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yes I would totally love a voice command wheel with 48 different segments for every kind of call you'd want to make in the game.

Blizzard I need a "someone switch to a loving hitscan and start taking care of that Pharrah" line.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flatluigi posted:

Why not just use your microphone?

:thejoke:

Edit: either use the mic or realize you're going to be playing with a mostly unorganized team! Adding more voice lines would be expensive for very little gain, since people won't listen to the ones we have already, for the most part.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The grenade nerf is extremely needed. gently caress Ana and people who defend Ana.

Like, roadhog?