Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
The Nvidia drivers released yesterday were crashing all over the place for me with the Vive, anybody else? During one crash I thought the person was going to have a seizure while I was yelling 'shut your eyes, shut your eyes!'. A rollback to the previous version stopped those thankfully.

Oh and yeah, the random SteamVR crap outs are getting old. Rebooting usually fixes the issue but all too often the display will just turn off and not turn back on unless I do a full or steam reboot. Or the lighthouses fall off the radar, etc.

Yesterday the display actually did turn off after not using it for a bit and turned back on when I picked it up, which was great, but that only happened once.

Gendal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Oh good lord, the overwatch drivers?
Apparently - 368.22

Every 5 minutes or so the display driver would crash on my 970s.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Definitely recommend everyone check out the latest version of Minecraft for the Vive. It is really coming along and it works amazingly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4khqe4/update_for_minecraft_vive_edition/

Apparently doesn't work with Forge yet, though he is trying to sort that issue out.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Been playing with my Rift since it arrived and pretty much every game makes me very mildly nauseous, even games like Defense Grid 2. As long as the camera is stationary it's a very mild sense, and I can actually power through it without repercussions, but eventually I get tired of the feeling and quit playing before I actually want to. Games which do move the camera without me provoke a much greater sense of nausea and will wreck the rest of my day if I don't discontinue the usage immediately.

This is in direct contrast to the Vive, which as long as the camera didn't move without me, never once made me feel even a tiny bit of discomfort from motion sickness.

The Vive headset isn't nearly as comfortable as the Rift in terms of fit and weight, but I will take that over mild motion sickness anyday.

My only theories are that I am usually standing with Vive whereas the Rift is usually sitting and/or the FOV which is a bit greater on the Vive. Framerate is 90fps everytime I check, but I have to peek out of the headset on the monitor to do so. Oculus doesn't have a low framerate warning that I can find.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Fiddle with the IPD adjustment slider a little.
That's a good idea. I measured it myself and it was 59mm. On the Vive I set it to the minimum which is 60, so it's easy enough to try cranking it up to that on the Rift and seeing what happens.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

-Is your head freakishly big or small (The vive has a slightly wider range of IPD adjustments)
The Rift goes down to 59, the Vive goes down to ~60 (mine says 60.7). Not sure about the upper range since I am self measured at 59mm though recently I started calling that measurement into question. Obviously I should get off my arse and call my optometrist.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Great write up over at Ars (spoiler - Vive Wins)
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/why-vive-has-won-the-early-vr-race-in-my-house/1/

Owning both myself I pretty much agree with everything he says. Both headsets made different choices with the lenses, making them better at different things. My initial reaction was holy crap the Rift is much better but that's been tempered a bit by more time. For cockpit games like Elite the Rift is so, so much better but the extra FOV on the Vive is great in games designed with it in mind.

Of course none of that matters when the overwhelming power of touching things just blows every other concern out the door.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
I am a sucker for Lovecraft so I picked up the Edge of Nowhere, totally missing the 'Moderate' label in the Oculus store. I knew it was a third person viewpoint but I figured it would be a fixed viewpoint. Nope, they just move the camera when you move the analog stick. Urk.

I really don't handle the camera moving independently of me very well. Climbing was fine but running along just kept pushing the :barf: meter higher and higher until I had to take a break right before an hour was up. I knew if I kept playing I would be sick the rest of the day instead of only 5-10 minutes.

VR definitely adds some great immersion but the nausea combined with the well trod game mechanics puts this in a glad to have more VR experiences but not going to write home about it. Maybe the later portions will change my mind.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Here's a question I have, because your point has been mentioned by lots of reviews and stuff. Do you feel like this game was designed to be in VR? Or do you feel like they made a 3rd person horror game and at the last minute said "Eh just put the camera in VR!"?
Just slapping a game into VR would require UI, level, and mechanical changes for this title. Approaching that of redoing the entire game. So I really don't think they did this at all, or if they did they did it from a very early point.

However it does kind of feel like it was just slapped into VR and I think the reason is it's missing Touch. I was really hoping the game controller would be a good interface for an HMD but so far, outside of Defense Grid 2, it doesn't feel like that's true. Also DG2 worked perfectly well with just the remote.

The whole mixed walking simulator, platformer, action thing they have going on now isn't nearly as interesting to me as just exploring and interacting. However I never want to explore because that pushes the nausea meter higher. Not that the game seems to reward exploration from what i can tell, besides the straightforward main path.

I keep thinking about The Gallery : Starseed whatever. I wasn't very big on that game for a variety of reasons but I can't stop thinking about it and wishing EoN was more like it and I think that's just because of the motion controllers.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Weirdly the Kotaku reviewer said it was more comfortable than any other VR game he'd played. This stuff seems to be more subjective than I'd initially thought (though I guess something like EoN will still have a majority effect which justifies a 'medium' VR sickness rating).
Weird, it's obviously wildly subjective per person and maybe even to that day. I didn't eat much yet. Overall so far I would rate it a bit less comfortable than Lucky's Tale and a lot less comfortable than Defense Grid 2.

I would rate just about any Vive roomscale title as E for Everyone however.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Just went on a VR binge this weekend with my new Touch. I wanted to directly compare it to the Vive but one of the lighthouses died and I had to go through the HTC repair process. Getting the RMA wasn't that bad, I was pleasantly surprised by the chat app they have on their web site.

Back to Touch I played through Arizona Sunshine, SuperHot, and most of I Expect You To Die. I went with the recommended two forward facing cameras for the Touch and that made Arizona annoying to play compared to the Vive because I spin like a top with that game. Still a fantastic experience if you like teleportation movement. I will never get tired of using their pistols to head shot zombies.

SuperHot is super hot. I never felt like such a bad rear end and probably never looked stupider. It was mostly made to keep you facing forward so the loss of tracking I had with Arizona was never an issue.

I love I Expect you To Die. I loved the intro credits, which is amazing, because I typically hate the standard James Bond movie intro. Absolutely made to just sit down like a boss and use the touch controllers. Very relaxing in comparison to the other two games, despite your life being constantly threatened (and ended).

The one complaint I have against all three is Super Hot is super short, Arizona is pretty short for the money, and so is IEYTD. Not that I care, I will happily go on paying the cash for these kinds of experiences but it's kind of a shock to go from the deal filled regular pc gaming market to VR.

I still greatly prefer the Rift headset to the Vive but the Touch controller is surprisingly not that much better than the Vive wands. It is absolutely better in pretty much every way but it doesn't turn into such an enormous advantage when actually playing games. Maybe later if more titles use the finger detection I guess, but for now the one important thing both controllers nail is the perfect tracking (when in the camera field of view of course).

Vive vs Rift Room scale is pretty complicated. I wouldn't rate one as clearly better than the other and I think a case could be made for either to win. In the end though I found I like the Vive better. It's much more of a pain to set up the first time but once it's installed properly it just works. Drawing a room with the Vive was a lot better than the Rift. The Vive is just amazing with occlusion and keeping track of the controllers, where as the Rift felt weaker.

With that said I don't like the lighthouse dual spinning laser lights, that just seems very delicate and a recipe for failure which has just born out in reality for me. New research seems to indicate they can possibly move to 1 spinning laser instead of two so I expect this to improve but for now the Rift feels much more like a sturdy consumer product.

Going to check out the Climb next. The whole idea of that game isn't very appealing but I picked it up anyways because of the good reviews and Touch integration.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Do you have three cameras, or only two? And how much worse were the occlusion issues for room-scale, compared to the Vive?
Only two. They were in the recommended forward facing Touch configuration. Not really a room scale setup. I have heard good things about just using 2 directly opposed cameras but I haven't tried it - the USB cable would be a major pain in the arse in my setup, a garage. I am thinking you could get by with just 2 cameras but you would really want 3.

The amusing thing is with one lightouse broken the Vive acts pretty much like my Touch, but a bit better. I had fewer occlusion issues with the Vive and one lighthouse than i did with the Touch and two cameras (again, both forward facing). I think the Touch would trounce the broken Vive if I moved the cameras to opposing but I am not going to bother with that.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

If I already own SUPER.HOT. on Steam can I play it in VR on the Vive? Or do I have to do some other sort of chicanery?
You have to rebuy it on the Oculus store. That's the only way to play it in VR. Then you could theoretically use revive to play it.

No idea how long this will be true for.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Not going to repost the whole thing here but tldr; if your launch day rift breaks you have to buy a new retail box (which I certainly won't be doing, even with the new price drop)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6mgcx5/launch_day_rift_broke_you_have_to_buy_a_new_one/

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

That's true for most stuff out of warranty though?
For cheap $20 headphones, sure. For $600+ electronic devices I have had decidedly different experiences than that. Maybe I am just spoiled in my consume electronic choices, but for every repair process I have gone through the company bent over backwards to help me out or at least had a reasonable repair option. Including my issue with the HTC Vive.

Legally, sure, they are within their right. I just think people should know what to expect if they are going to get one. I avoid companies like this for a reason, I didn't expect Oculus to be one.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

Even out of warranty there's an expectation that you should be able to purchase replacements for individual parts rather than be required to purchase a new bundle - in this case you might hope to be able to purchase a replacement headset without being required to also shell out for replacements for your working controllers and cameras. I don't think there are many countries that have made that into a formal consumer protection yet, though.
This too. If you do the retail math with the new $400 bundle that works out to $180 for just the headset. This is what I expected the worst case repair option to be with Oculus. Instead I got the middle finger, delivered with a smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

Not that it's not a lovely thing for Oculus to do, but couldn't you hock the parts you don't need and only end up out of pocket for the headset anyway?
I really dislike reselling crap, especially when it's an absurd situation like this where I actually want it still and/or don't want to have to repurchase.

The potentially good news is I got a suggestion on reddit to checkout my CC extended warranty, and whadda you know, I am supposedly covered. Never done this before, because again, never had such lovely service but who knows - it might actually work.