Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rockybar posted:

Foveated rendering seems like the thing that 2nd gen headsets absolutely have to have. One video on YouTube has a 4x FPS performance boost, effectively allowing you to double the pixel density of 2160x2400 with no performance hit (assuming processing time per pixel remains constant). It also means that most VR owners could quite easily skip a whole generation of graphics cards.

edit: more like a 2.5x boost

That's comparing "eye-tracked foveated rendering" to "no foveated rendering", though. Developers can do "fixed foveated rendering" with current HMDs and graphics card to realize a lot of that benefit already - they just don't bother because it's hard.

Eye-tracking won't be a huge performance boost on top of that; what it could do, though, is pair up with lens design and much higher resolution screens to create a headset where the image remains sharp outside a central ten-degree ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
"3Dception for Games", the industry standard tool for cross-platform 3D audio, has just been taken off the market because its creators have been bought by Facebook.

Developers are advised to use Oculus' 3D audio SDK instead. Which of course doesn't support PS4.

All in all this probably won't actually affect much, but I'm sure a few games which might have been hoping for an easy port job from PC VR to PSVR are now finding themselves SOL.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

But interesting nevertheless, and a possibly good reason to get the Rift down the line against the PSVR maybe?

Rather than that I'm hopeful that this will put more pressure on Sony to support PSVR on PC. They've made "we're not ruling it out"-type noises before, which is already pretty unusual by Sony's standards.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nalin posted:

If you want a Gear VR, it is pretty much required you have a Galaxy S7. If you only have an S6 or a Note5, do not buy it.

I've never had any overheating problems with the Note 5. Just to check, you weren't putting the cover over it were you?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

XBox have been conspicuously absent as far as a response to PSVR is concerned, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched.

I'm sure they were still trying to convince themselves that Hololens would be a thing.

e: CV1 on consoles would be a bad time, though. Even a powered-up XB1 will struggle to render at 90, so for most games you'd be looking at 45 reprojected, which is... bearable? And it's hard to believe that Oculus have the capacity to make a 120hz CV2 in time for next year.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 26, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hierophant posted:

I mean, "use forward rendering with simple lighting" is hardly something that you would need source code for. It's a reasonable suggestion, but those tradeoffs between forward and deferred lighting/shading are well known.

The selling point is the clustered lighting, aka "Forward Plus", which offsets most of the downsides of forward rendering versus deferred at the cost of requiring compute shader support. Neither Unity or Unreal support that in their standard renderers yet, though I'm sure it's the next big feature they're working on.

Ironically Oculus' "VR renderer" doesn't actually seem to have any VR-specific features; clustered lighting is a good fit for most games, not just VR ones.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Question about VR and SLI support: does it depend on each singular game like in standard gaming or it's something "coz VR" period? Also, it's a yes or a no?
It's even more per-game than standard SLI. Standard SLI can sometimes be forced on games that don't officially support it using Nvidia's tools; VR SLI can only be implemented by games.

To the best of my knowledge there are exactly zero games to date that have implemented VR SLI.

froody guy posted:

And as regards the new Pascal arch, I've got that all the amazing features implemented via VRWorks and relative uber-boosts in performances, aren't used by any game at all right now. Does it take a total rewrite of the game engine to implement them or it's something that can happen via a patch?
Right now there's a large engine rewrite VR games can do which will make them run faster on any hardware. Again I don't think any games have done this yet, but I've seen concept renderers for Unreal so it probably won't be too long before some start to.

The Pascal optimisations are only available to games that have already done this rewrite, but for those games it should be doable as a patch.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Any idea about which ones did that already? Like, Valkyrie? Nvidia has always been a CCP's partner but I'm not quite sure about how good are people at CCP at coding :v:

As I said, as far as I know no games have done the prerequisite "any hardware" VR engine rewrite yet, though there have been proof-of-concept demos. I imagine once someone does Nvidia will put a lot of pressure on them to include the Pascal optimisations on top and then shout about it from the rooftops, so I expect we'll know when it happens.

In the specific case of Valkyrie I'd say it depends whether they need the rewrite to hit framerate on PSVR. If they need it for that they'll do it, if they don't... well, I can't really imagine the PC version has been successful enough for them to justify additional investment.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

How does it work if you receive a defective Rift? I've searched in the oculus site and googled "oculs rift return policy" but I found only people bitching about the fact that oculus doesn't have a return policy page. Dafuq?

The stories on reddit have not been good. Sounds like it's a long process of convincing support that it's actually broken, then an RMA. Apparantly they won't repair, only replace, and replacements aren't going to be sent until current orders have been fulfilled - so September now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Probably waiting for the Vive to land in physical stores isn't such a terrible idea. I've heard other saying it's a matter of a couple of months, pretty much when I should have received the Rift.

Depending on where you are it might be a matter of now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Now that the vive is out, I doubt Valve will be doing anything besides adding in support for any new headsets as they come out.

They've said they don't even want to do that; their position is that headset manufacturers should be the ones responsible for adding support in OpenVR. They implemented Vive support because they needed a headset to test the runtime with, and they kept supporting Rift because they already had the code and Oculus clearly weren't going to do so. But OSVR, StarVR and LeapMotion support were all done by third parties, and that's the way Valve intend it to work. I think Hydra is they only thing they've gone out of their way to support?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

All that being said I might not meet the minimum requirements anyway for either system--I have a 980ti and 16GB ram, but my processor is an i5 4570, and I've seen the minimums for both be at least i5 4590k

You should be fine for most titles; the CPU minimum requirements are generally erring on the side of caution. Assuming HotRS can hit 90fps on your monitor I wouldn't expect CPU to be an issue for it in VR.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Gear VR, anyone recommend a controller? It'd be exclusively for the phone/Gear VR, I already have an XB1 controller for the PC.
Controller support seems to be incredibly inconsistent. The two that Oculus recommend (MOGA Pro and Steelseries Stratus XL) seem to work for most things, though even then the coverage doesn't seem to be 100%. I'd recommend one of those two if you can find them, or something under $5 otherwise - just so you're not too out of pocket when it barely works on anything.

For overheating, the one almost too obvious thing to mention is don't put the Gear VR cover on over the phone.

Jarmak posted:

Has there been any word or rumor or speculation whatsoever when the next gen of headsets might be coming out? Part of my plan with going Vive was it would make my wife happy by doing roomscale and then I could jump on the 2nd gen oculus for my sims cause I care way more about image quality.
Nope, but it's also worth mentioning that there's no particular reason to believe Oculus will still be the winners on image quality in gen 2.

There may not be clear "generations" at all, of course. If StarVR comes out in early 2017, say, is that Gen 2 or Gen 1.5? Is FOVE Gen 2?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Warbird posted:

How's the Oculus shipping turnaround time these days? I know the Vive seems to be up to date now, but have the projected shipping times that people got from Oculus remain in effect?

Depends slightly on the region you're in, but in the US Oculus still haven't fulfilled all the orders from the day preorders opened in January. General advice seems to be to buy from a high street retailer rather than direct from Oculus.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

theBeaz posted:

is it related to SteamVR and lack of that Rift SDK timewarp feature?
This is a widespread misconception; asynchronous timewarp is always on on the Rift, regardless of whether a game is using SteamVR or the Oculus SDK. It's done by the Oculus runtime, which doesn't care what SDK the game is using.

As for HotDS's performance, it's a one man Unity game compared to the hundred-strong teams making Valkyrie on UE4 and Elite on a custom engine, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not as optimized. Because of the huge variety of hardware out there tuning performance in PC games is a massive undertaking; I'm sure the inevitable PSVR port will run much smoother.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Sounds like they've fixed the easy problem of framerate, but have made exactly zero progress on the hard problem of how to make a good FPS in VR.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hierophant posted:

Oh, yeah, I suppose you can mask out part of the user's field of view, but that seems like kind of a waste to me.

It works decently well; it has the effect of deliberately breaking the illusion of presence, making it feel more like you're watching a screen than being in a place. They don't do it all the time, just in extreme tricks like loop-de-loops.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

So I haven't watched it yet, but apparently Sony knocked it out of the park with their VR games (of course).
I'm not sure? It sounds great on paper: RE7 VR, Batman Arkham VR, FFXV VR, Battlefront VR. But they didn't present compelling cases for how any of those are going to work (except Battlefront). I'd say their VR presentation last E3 was a lot stronger.

e: Though FFXV VR knows what sells.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 14, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

If RE7 is like Chronos I think it will be pretty awesome, and Batman could be really cool too, I personally really dig 3rd person games in VR though. And yeah, FF will sell no matter haha. I'm watching a documentary right now so I still haven't watched the videos I posted heh

What they showed of RE7 was first person. They showed nothing of Batman; while I agree third person Batman would be a game I'd be very happy to play in VR, I don't think they'll go that direction with it. "The promise of VR", "#behindthemask" and all that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kazy posted:

If it's any consolation, Oculus hasn't offered me any giant sacks of money yet.

Where are my giant sacks of money, Oculus? :argh:

They're waiting for you to announce Vive support on Reddit first, thereby making the suffering all the sweeter.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Realpost why would you buy a Rift over either of the other two? Doubly so after yesterday
The hardware and software still have plusses over the Vive:
  • Higher pixel density
  • Subjectively better comfort
  • Lower price of entry if you don't understand or care about the importance of motion controls
  • "Asynchronous timewarp", a software feature that significantly improves the experience on weaker hardware
  • And of course access to great exclusive games!
But you're right, they're doing a lot to sabotage their position. I'd certainly no longer advise anyone to buy a Rift, and I think most enthusiasts are the same.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

I wonder how much community goodwill Oculus would buy back if they just said gently caress it and implemented their own ReVive-like wrapper to let Vive users play games from the Oculus store.

It's probably too late for that. They've set the precedent now of "we decide what headsets you can use with our store titles, not you", and that's always going to leave people suspicious of lock-in in gen 2.

e: I think they'd need to make their SDK as open as OpenVR is for people to trust them with that again.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fredrik1 posted:

A VR headset is just a monitor, it's not a console, we already have a library that works with both headsets because they are almost identical, the rift has software DRM to prevent you from playing any VR game on anything other than an Oculus headset.

This. The only fundamental difference between the software stack for the Rift and the software stack for the Vive is the code for the tracking (constellation vs lighthouse), which is all pretty standard stuff.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah, it was Palmer. The gist of the argument was that they wanted to support the Vive directly rather than going through a wrapper (as SteamVR does for Rift support). Doing this would have supposedly required some low-level hardware information from HTC/Valve that they (understandably) didn't feel like giving out, and their response was basically "yo, just go through SteamVR".

And of course Oculus are equally unwilling to let the Rift work natively on SteamVR.

It's basically a fight over which store comes up when the user hits the system button, and neither side is willing to give that up.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the XBOX/360/One and PS4 just x86 PCs with artificial limitations on what software they can run and what peripherals they will accept?
Only in the same way that a Mac is. You couldn't run windows games on them without porting either the game or the OS.

e: Xbox is a lot closer, though, since its OS is very close to Windows and it uses DirectX.

sliderule posted:

You have to buy a whole new PC to play a PS4/XBOX One game, whose binaries will run on your existing x86 PC with the exception of unimplemented OS calls and libraries.
This isn't true in the general case, actually; windows games could theoretically run on XBO/PS4 hardware, but AAA console games generally couldn't run on an arbitrary PC because they're designed to take advantage of features of the exact hardware in the consoles, especially the GPU.

That's basically the difference between console and PC development; you can get a lot more out of the same hardware on a console because you don't have to account for the many different possible setups a PC user could have, which might or might not support things you want to use.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 14, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

Also, if you go pure Oculus exclusive, you get built in DRM (Denuvo) that hasn't been cracked yet and so your game can't be pirated either.

I would be amazed if this was true. You might be required to use Denuvo, but you're certainly not getting it for free. Even if Oculus are paying Denuvo's licensing costs there's a significant development cost to integrating that stuff.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fooz posted:

What is meant by 'hurting VR', besides "I can't play all games on my HMD"? The threat to VR is a dried up ecosystem, and any measure of keeping VR devs afloat is positive.

There's no such thing as a "VR dev", though. Game developers may or may not develop for virtual reality; they'll only do so long term if there are customers who own or are willing to consider a VR headset. It's the consumers that need to be kept happy with their investment, not the developers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

theBeaz posted:

I haven't tried The Climb yet but isn't some of the challenge related to applying just the right amount of pressure to the triggers? If so how does this work on Touch? The article may answer this but :effort:

Both Touch and the Vive controllers have pressure-sensitive triggers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

From what I am reading, most non-gamers are calling VR a fad similar to Google Glass or 3D glasses.

It's not a gamer/non-gamer divide; I've talked to plenty of skeptical gamers and credulous non-gamers. Generally it just comes down to whether or not they've had hands-on experience with it. Gamers are more likely to have that experience right now, of course, because most of the current content is games.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

..btt posted:

I personally find stellar objects seem too small - orbiting close to a planet or star feels like they're a couple of meters in diameter and only a couple of feet away. Also, not spherical enough. Not sure what exactly causes this.

Yeah, that's nothing to do with the game; human vision just works like that. When things are so far away that our normal mechanisms of depth perception stop working the brain gives up and just guesses. The only way to make astronomical bodies feel large and far away is paradoxically to do what Titans of Space does and make them much, much smaller and closer than they really are. Elite's naturally not doing that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

"The monitor will still work", yeah no one is going to give up adaptive sync once they've spent some time with it.
Adaptive sync is the Monster gold-plated ethernet cable of display technologies. :colbert:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Modern DRM is based on the principle that you don't have to stop your game being pirated, you just need to stop it being pirated in the first week because that's when the majority of people will buy or pirate it. If there's no pirated version available at that point, either they'll buy it instead or they would never have bought it. By that metric Denuvo is perfect; it's too hard to crack in the first week and after that point no-one cares any more.

If Oculus don't realise this and are relying on Denuvo to give them indefinite hardware lock-in then they're setting themselves up for a nasty shock when VR ultimately becomes a big thing.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Just Cause 3 came out a little over 6mos ago and there still isn't a working crack for it. Same with Farcry Primal.
Yes, and a big part of the reason is that people stop trying a month or so after release. Why spend three months working on cracking a game that'll be $5 in the summer sale? You might as well spend that time doing contract work and just buy keys for all the people that would have bothered playing the cracked version.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lucid Dream posted:

I'm really curious what they will do as far as input methods. OSVR doesn't really seem like a decent alternative if it is lacking motion controls by the time Touch comes out. Right now OSVR seems like a really lovely option because you can't play most of the Vive games without motion controls and you can't use the Oculus store for gamepad games.
It's Razer, so they have plenty of experience with lovely motion controls. I'm sure they could just run off another batch of Hydras if they wanted to.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Unless there's some dumb authentication or something, someone is gonna hack up OpenVR drivers for that thing real quick regardless of if it has official PC support.
What's the status of using unsigned USB drivers on Win10 these days? That's the only issue I could see.

Cojawfee posted:

As far as I'm aware, OpenVR doesn't require any hacking. People have been adding support for various devices themselves without Valve. It would probably just take writing a driver for them in the first place and then adding an interface for that into OpenVR.
The need for hacking would be on the PSVR side, since Sony aren't likely to publish their USB protocols any time soon.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Denuvo is fundamentally the same security through obscurity that DRM has always been. The difference is that they spend enough time on custom DRM for each title that figuring out the obscurity takes longer than people are willing to spend on cracking that title. They can do that because they charge publishers so much for their services, and they can do that because many publishers have been convinced that piracy is losing them millions of dollars a year.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Tested have a hands-on video with the new Razer HDK2.

I hadn't realised that they're using an RGB display, which is a pretty big deal; that gives it a much higher subpixel density than any of the other three headsets. If the lenses aren't terrible it might turn out to have surprisingly competitive visuals.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

If Sony doesn't mandate 90FPS, it's going to kill adoption and/or push Neo units.

60 reprojected to 120 feels completely fine as long as it's consistent; the problem comes if a games drops below 60 for any length of time, which it sounds like RE7 currently does.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Do you mean this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
And the buttons don't match up, so occasionally some actions will be impossible.